• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
That's despicable, and I despise the Wildcats.

You know, the reason Wikipedia is often times scorned by professors and educational institutes is exhibited in that quote you are responding too.

this is the actual NYtimes quote sourced by that wiki sentence:

Four years after Malcolm Kerr’s death, Steve Kerr, as a fifth-year senior, took to the court at Arizona State and was serenaded with mocking and inaccurate chants of “P.L.O.” and “your father’s history” during pregame warm-ups.

the secondary ESPN quote sourced:

But in 1988, as Kerr was a fifth-year senior recovering from a torn ACL, the court was a sanctuary no more. During warm-ups before a game at Arizona State, some 10 to 15 fans hit him with a series of subhuman chants that included "P-L-O" and "Where's your dad?"

Contrasted with the Wiki write up:

Four years after his father's murder, Steve Kerr played a game at Arizona State in which he was greeted with mocking chants by 10 to 15 fans of "P.L.O." and "where's your dad?" during the pregame warm-up.

The wiki sentence is a complete mis-contextualization of the incident. Where the author of the wiki entry infers pretty heavily that the chanters are supporters of P.L.O. when both NYT and ESPN(the sources quoted) present the incident in a context that the people making those chants were merely Arizona State fans taunting Kerr. With zero substantiation that those chanting "P.LO." and "Wheres your dad" were supporters of the P.L.O.

ESPN and the NYTimes paint the context that Kerr was harassed by a bunch of asshole fans while the wiki entry frames it like Kerr was harassed by 10-15 P.L.O supporters.

Jonm1010

Banned
Sports fans can seriously be the worst people sometimes at games.

For sure. Just visit any teams official or unofficial message board and you can see how fucking deplorable some can be.

As a Louisiana resident I can only tell people to steer clear of Tiger Droppings.

On another note I remember hearing the accounts of college fans at a few places that relished in mocking CP3 about his grandfather being murdered. Ignorance + youth immaturity + groupthink + sports tribal mentality + easy access to good tickets = some fucked up shit that gets said to players.

zychi

Banned
So that Blatt and Kerr article. Does that mean they are on opposite sides of the war? Or am I reading that wrong?

If they are on opposite sides, wouldn't Kerr want to stay away from Blatt? Not offer him a position in his staff before Cle gave him the HC job?

So that Blatt and Kerr article. Does that mean they are on opposite sides of the war? Or am I reading that wrong?

If they are on opposite sides, wouldn't Kerr want to stay away from Blatt? Not offer him a position in his staff before Cle gave him the HC job?

What I got from that article is that Blatt supports Israel, while Kerr is neutral and wants peace in that conflict like his father. I could be wrong. I'm not the strongest comprehender when it comes to political stuff.

Fjordson

Anyone know how Blatt and Kerr feel about tipping? How much, how often, etc.

And given the dick stuff from Lebron, I'm curious about their circumcision views.

PRBoricua

Rare pic of the GOAT 'bout to cross up some bald guy.

ARbSohF.jpg

h1nch

If the Cavs axe David Blatt after this finals I hope the Spurs can bring him onboard as an assistant coach.

The dude has won big in Euroleague. You don't achieve that by being a completely inept coach. Plus having spent so much time abroad he's no doubt familiar with the international game and more importantly, international players. He'd be a great fit on the Spurs coaching staff.

He's made some very visible mistakes this season but a lot of them are just a matter of getting used to how the NBA game is played. Being around Pop would probably help with that.

Redd

Here we go, game 5 tonight. Do the Warriors take 5 at home or do the Cavs got one more wrinkle in their game to steal this. Either way I hope it's close one.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Thibs would still be with the Bulls if Gar and Pax weren't so far up their own asses.

I still don't understand how they have jobs. Haven't made the finals once with the rosters they've built. Pax is only a "basketball mind" because Jordan made him look good. They lucked into Derrick Rose and had some of the worst Bulls teams in Bulls history.

Even Jordan got thrown under a bus with the Wiz as Prez of Bball Ops

Any other team would have fired this duo of idiots..

I have a lot of issues with pax but this post is incorrect in some ways. The Bulls turn around started when he got rid of the players Krause brought in and fired Cartwright. last shitty season the Bulls had was 2002-3 I think and Krause put together that squad.

eloestmn

Its the Finals for me tonight, everything else gets DVR'd or dl'd after the fact.

Im predicting a GS win tonight, I feel they finally get it together and ride off the momentum of game 4. Cavs will get caught up in panic mode after GS gets off to a small early lead and they'll never recover.

zychi

Banned
Its the Finals for me tonight, everything else gets DVR'd or dl'd after the fact.

Im predicting a GS win tonight, I feel they finally get it together and ride off the momentum of game 4. Cavs will get caught up in panic mode after GS gets off to a small early lead and they'll never recover.
I'm the other way. Game of thrones, then wwe. Ill watch the highlights of messed up ref calls and flopping after.

eloestmn

I'm the other way. Game of thrones, then wwe. Ill watch the highlights of messed up ref calls and flopping after.

If tonight wasnt the season finale Id watch GOT first, but I dont want it to be over so its NBA (while my nephew watches the PPV on the PC next to the tv) then VEEP , Silicon Valley, and end it all with GOT. Good times all around.

Kacho

Gold Member
Oh that's right the WWE PPV is on tonight too. Busy ass night!

JR Smith was saying the only reason GS won the other night was because their non-shooters were shooting so well. There is truth to that but the Cavs might be physically and mentally spent at this point. Klay and Steph are long overdue for a big game so tonight might be that night. I'm expecting GS to blow them out of the water.

Happy to hear Bogut will be sitting out the rest of the games.

Oh that's right the WWE PPV is on tonight too. Busy ass night!

JR Smith was saying the only reason GS won the other night was because their non-shooters were shooting so well. There is truth to that but the Cavs might be physically and mentally spent at this point. Klay and Steph are long overdue for a big game so tonight might be that night. I'm expecting GS to blow them out of the water.

Happy to hear Bogut will be sitting out the rest of the games.
Curry is definitely long overdue. He needs to be consistent in all 4 quarters of play. Klay should play well as well to help offset the load on Curry.

VoxPop

I say start Shump at the 2 and replace him with Perkins/Marion instead of JR off the bench. They'd have a much better shot at winning.

wowzors

Would love to see the cavs win tonight. Only way this series goes to 7, if they lose tonight they ain't winning a pivotal game 6 in Cleveland.

Subitai

I too think Blatt should start having the players too old and slow at the end of the bench start sending Iggy to the line. Even if he gets his stroke back and starts FT shooting his career avg. .717, it slows the game down and gives the key starters badly needed extra rest. I think Kerr will live with it even if they're behind and leave Iggy in.

If the Warriors win tonight I think the series is over

it was all a dream for my Cavs with these injuries anyway. LBJ trying to pretend like the corpse of Sean Marion and Mike Miller can be difference makers just reinforced the reality to me. They're trying hard, but without JR Smith being a scoring threat, we can't win. It goes from "doubtful" to "impossible".

In retrospect I'm not sure how we won any games with only 1 consistent scoring threat.

it was all a dream for my Cavs with these injuries anyway. LBJ trying to pretend like the corpse of Sean Marion and Mike Miller can be difference makers just reinforced the reality to me. They're trying hard, but without JR Smith being a scoring threat, we can't win. It goes from "doubtful" to "impossible".

In retrospect I'm not sure how we won any games with only 1 consistent scoring threat.

I'm surprised that JR is this offensively inept these finals. Like previous posters stated he's absolutely shook.

If Kyrie keeps his health next year the Cavs should sleepwalk to the Finals again. Ain't nobody fucking with them next year....not even the Heat (with or without Wade)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom