• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Sean

Banned
I've seen some ads for Ten Days. I have absolutely no interest in watching it. Looks like most of America felt the same. First major network cancellation of the season? That looks like a contender.

I could tell Ten Days in the Valley was going to be a flop from the very first footage. The story of a missing/kidnapped child has been done a million times before, premise is stale. Even ABC themselves had that Ashley Judd "Missing" show just a few years ago.

Pachimari

So coming next week my tv schedule will be pretty active again. Think I’ll be a nine shows, with two each day but Sunday and Monday. Kind bummed I got nothing to watch on Mondays but I guess I can use those two days on catching up with some shows I’m still behind on. Still got like 5 episodes left of The Handmaid’s Tale and 4 left of The Originals. And with me having just started up This Is Us yesterday, I hope to finish that one this week so I can be there every week now that the second season started. And why not start up Legion tomorrow as well since The Gifted is starting up.

What a great time for tv watching.

What the hell is 10 Days in the Valley?

Only realized it existed last week because of ads during Designated Survivor, looked like yet another show on kidnapping that ABC has done before, honestly surprised they didnt call it a Fall Special series.

The previous ABC show, The Family was a far better kidnapping show.

Penguin

Random fun-fact, though assume inevitable

Tonight's Lucifer/The Gifted block marks the first DC/Marvel block on the small screen.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Random fun-fact, though assume inevitable

Tonight's Lucifer/The Gifted block marks the first DC/Marvel block on the small screen.

oh Lucifer is back? if there was a show I would love if Netflix added weekly it would be this one, but they dont do weekly Fox stuff :/

edit: Once Upon A Time is STILL going? o_O

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Americans season 4 added to my netflix... I really need to get back to this man. I dont even understand why I havent watched all of it, I loved season 1, and the few times Is tarted season 2, I was into the first episode (with the fucked up
killing of that other russian spy family
), but then for whatever reason I never finish that episode, nor continue season 2.

Ratsky is going to slap me silly one of these days ;_;

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Gotta Price Is Right you motherfudgers.

The Gifted - 1.6
9JFKFDR - 2.6

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pilots I didn't like so far:

Me, Myself, and I: Rushed pilot, spent too much time explaining its premise to actually do anything. Giving John Laroquette a 13 years younger girlfriend would have been typical Hollywood, but passing her off as the same age as him is truly pathetic.

Young Sheldon: Imagine you took The Goldbergs and took away the jokes and the family members all sucked but there were still "moral of the story voiceovers". OR Imagine you took The Wonder Years and made Fred Savage's character an obnoxious know it all. Better than the Big Bang Theory, though.

Ghosted: A bunch of funny comedians making a profoundly unfunny and rushed pilot based on a stupid premise. Like, imagine Ghostbusters, only nerdier and not funny?

Wisdom of the Crowd: Repugnant politics, awful writing, hammy acting, and worst of all the case of the week was fundamentally boring.

The Good Doctor: Also incredibly bad over the top dialogue, unconvincing performances, dumb case of the week,

The Mayor: Nothing happens in the pilot. Courtney is neither stupid enough for this to be a fun comedy of errors nor smart enough to be worth caring about. If you want a humanist show about a rapper hustling his way to the top, try Atlanta. If you want a comedy about an idiot mayor, watch Schitt's Creek.

Next up, Seal Team. Then 9JKL. Then Inhumass. Then Hash Tag The Gifted. I have high expectations for each and every one of them.

Linkura

Guys.... one of my fb friends says she watches and loves The Good Doctor. And she had some people agree with her. I.... don't even know what to say.

faridmon

It is a fun show. I also liked Dark Matter, but that got canned :-(

To be fair to Dark Matter, I bloody loved the previous seasons, but the new one was disappointing.

Killjoy was great from start to finish. Hope they don't can that

I couldn't even make it through the first episode.

The first 2 Ep. are the weakest ones, its gets great halfway through the first season.

faridmon

Pilots I didn't like so far:

Me, Myself, and I: Rushed pilot, spent too much time explaining its premise to actually do anything. Giving John Laroquette a 13 years younger girlfriend would have been typical Hollywood, but passing her off as the same age as him is truly pathetic.

Young Sheldon: Imagine you took The Goldbergs and took away the jokes and the family members all sucked but there were still "moral of the story voiceovers". OR Imagine you took The Wonder Years and made Fred Savage's character an obnoxious know it all. Better than the Big Bang Theory, though.

Ghosted: A bunch of funny comedians making a profoundly unfunny and rushed pilot based on a stupid premise. Like, imagine Ghostbusters, only nerdier and not funny?

Wisdom of the Crowd: Repugnant politics, awful writing, hammy acting, and worst of all the case of the week was fundamentally boring.

The Good Doctor: Also incredibly bad over the top dialogue, unconvincing performances, dumb case of the week,

The Mayor: Nothing happens in the pilot. Courtney is neither stupid enough for this to be a fun comedy of errors nor smart enough to be worth caring about. If you want a humanist show about a rapper hustling his way to the top, try Atlanta. If you want a comedy about an idiot mayor, watch Schitt's Creek.

Next up, Seal Team. Then 9JKL. Then Inhumass. Then Hash Tag The Gifted. I have high expectations for each and every one of them.

Glad I didn't watch any of this except for Ghosted (which I agree that it kind of sucked)

Does David Walton have a deal with teh devil. dude is in 6 sitcoms every season.

It's a pretty shitty deal if he does, every one gets cancelled. I don't think he has bad comedy chops but he definitely isn't an a-lister. My guess is he's competent enough and cheap enough to get cast for a lot of these lower budget sitcoms.

To be fair to Dark Matter, I bloody loved the previous seasons, but the new one was disappointing.

Killjoy was great from start to finish. Hope they don't can that

Killjoys was renewed for 2 seasons, and the 5th season will be its final season so the show will properly end its entire story arc. Its a great, fun sci fi show to watch thats a bit zany/goofy but has a lot of great science fiction ideas and the actors are all absolutely awesome.

You guys are brave for watching so many damn pilots, for the last few years my rule has basically been not to invest at all in any new shows unless the premise really intrigues me or the show gets a huge amount of positive buzz (The Good Place). I don't think any new show this year has hit either criteria.

Heh. I think people grossly overestimate the annual HBO Now churn based purely on GoT subscribers that drop after the season, but I am curious how many people actually do that.
- Variety: HBO Sees Smaller App-Revenue Drop After ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 7 Finale
HBO has relied on “Game of Thrones,” its most popular series ever, to drive up subscriber numbers. But while Westeros giveth, it also taketh away: The premium network has experienced notable sub declines after the fantasy epic goes off the air.

This year, however, after the conclusion of “Game of Thrones” season 7, it appears that fewer subscribers cut the cord on HBO after the dragonfire faded to black than following the previous two seasons.

Revenue generated by the HBO Now app for Sept. 16 — the first billing cycle after “GOT” season 7 concluded on Aug. 27 to record ratings — declined by just 7% compared with revenue on Aug. 16 (the billing cycle corresponding to the season premiere), according to app-research firm Sensor Tower. By the same measure, HBO Now revenue fell 22% in 2015 for season five while season six post-finale revenue from its premiere date subscribers dropped by 40%.

What explains the significantly higher subscriber retention rate? The data suggests HBO Now’s subscriber base is becoming more stable, with users keeping the service to watch additional past content or in anticipation of future series — rather than many of them showing up only to binge on “Thrones.”
What’s important to note: Sensor Tower’s estimates cover only mobile-app revenue for HBO Now, excluding subscriptions via traditional pay-TV providers. Sensor Tower uses predictive models for in-app purchases, based on various data points and signals including Apple’s App Store and Google Play app rankings and actual revenue data from partners.

It’s likely that HBO’s subscribers through cable, satellite and telco operators exhibit less-volatile swings than the direct-to-consumer HBO Now product, because those pay-TV subs take the premium channel as part of a larger bundle. (HBO doesn’t release subscriber stats.)

The real test for HBO Now will be whether new series such as “The Deuce” will be “enough to hook these subscribers until the next hit rolls around,” Nelson commented.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
HBO basically has me on the hook all year now. I used to drop my sub after GoT ended, but this year I had to watch Big Little Lies, and now I'm on The Deuce and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Now my Showtime sub...wake me up when The Affair or Homeland is back.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-monday-network-scorecard-10-2-2017.html

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-02.MON_.png

I believe this makes The Gifted the highest-rated thing on the network besides football, Empire and Star.

9JKL got the same rating as the season premiere of NCIS and series premiere of Star Trek Discovery. Not as good as the season premieres of TBBT (obvs), Young Sheldon, Kevin Can Wait, Me Myself & I or Survivor, though. It did better than the premieres of Bull, NCIS: New Orleans, SEAL Team, Criminal Minds, Scorpion and everything on Friday.

Grizzlyjin

Looks like Freddy Highmore has a secure gig for a bit. Look at those The Good Doctor numbers.

Top Bottom