• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

49 percent of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

People should calm down and not actually make blanket declarations against some chunk of the US because of a single poll with no real backing to ascertain how good or bad of a polling it performed.

Mortemis

Banned
49% support it? Not surprised in the least.

It probably energizes them. It's why I think even if Trump throws the country deep into the shitter, he'll get re-elected with so many rationalizing the negative effects of his presidency as "at least he stuck it to minorities".

I want out this country. Its only a matter of time before the headline reads ~49 percent of Americans agree with stop and frisk. One of many possibilities under Trump that directly affects me.

"The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English in all 50 states. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans."

ehhh. dont see how these results are alarming. sounds like the polled republicans agree and that's not surprising.

Yeah, I agree. I am not trying to downplay the racism of America, but I'm not sure if this poll really is the best indicator of where the majority of the country stands on the issue.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Incase it needed to be said(and i guess it will be the common line for the next 4 years), this poll does not represent a majority of Americans.

You can't split people behind party lines when most are independent, and the electorally knowledgeable did not vote for Trump or any candidate as a majority.

Iksenpets

Banned
Not a surprise. Polling numbers in immigration are never good. I'm actually surprised the ban didn't manage to pull an actual majority.

That said, it's pretty clear by the reaction that there are way more people who passionately hate it than those who support it with any comparable fervor. Mobilization is super important, and every election comes down to turnout. It can be popular while still being awful politically for Trump.

While most of my FB feed is against stuff like this, the few that do get called "Racist" or racist by association. Their response? "We're not racist, we just want to keep our family safe, keep the terrorists out". Yeah, it's pretty racist when you associate a whole group of people by their region as possible terrorists. I'm pretty sure that's what Xenophobia is... but people hate getting called racists, I guess the new definition of racism only applies when the word "hate" is used in conjunction with derogatory terms.

I think that a lot of people that hold some racist views are wholly unaware of it. Like the amount of people that actually want to call people derogatory racist names, actually think they are lesser human beings, etc aren't that large of a number.

The problem is I think there are a ton of people who basically just want to be around their own race mostly / isolated from other groups. Which of course is still racist but in a different form than what we typically think of it as.

"The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English in all 50 states. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans."

ehhh. dont see how these results are alarming. sounds like the polled republicans agree and that's not surprising.

Also, one could argue that "somewhat agree" doesn't mean they actually LIKE the law, especially when the poll found that only 31% of respondents say this order makes us "more safe".

gamerMan

Trump was right. America wants this. Fuck this country.

It's the ugly truth. Anybody who thinks we just got here is dreaming. A lot of us who are speaking out are in the minority. A significant portion in American put Mr. Bannon and company in office and share a lot of his beliefs. It's just in public, they are not open about it. This is a movement and it's going to get stronger the more power people are willing to give up. Donald Trump has become a vessel for them to show their true beliefs.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
You make that sound like this is a good thing. It is not. It's embarrassing low for a country who tought of themselves for decades as the "leader of fhe free world" and whose constitution includes the following:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Nah, just saying that it's not quite time to say "oh well fuck it, America is doomed" just yet. There is still a sizable resistance.

Ravager61

This is the demoralizing part of all this to me. I can't stand Trump. I want to see him and his cronies removed from office in disgrace and never return. Or at the very least, not have such unchecked power. But in the end, if half of America supports him or his policies, there's no blow back for him. He's rolling along doing whatever he wants and spinning any negative news into oblivion. The only thing I can look to is 2 years from now and hope Dems can take back some power but seeing as we are only 11 days into this thing, that seems like a lifetime away.

And don't get me wrong, the protests are great and should continue. It's great to see such solidarity among people. But fuck, man. I'm just depressed over what is happening right now.

Neo C.

You guys really need to fight harder, or it will be too late. Actually it's already too late, so just focus on keeping the damage somewhat under control.

They don't care. This isn't about terrorism or illegals.
I'm pretty sure at least some percent would care if they knew the facts. Some percent are just gonna be xenophobes/islamophobes, but I doubt that's 49% of the country. A lot of people have bought into the propaganda that we don't vet people coming in, they hear about terrorist attacks all the time in the media, and they think this is actually going to do something to improve security.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well that sure is depressing.

Still, even if it's accurate, I can at least find solace in the fact that at least half of this country are against it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
And here I was hoping that the world was slowly becoming a better place as older, misguided bigoted individuals started to die off.

Yea exactly. Is there a Strongly agree breakdown?

Unfortunately I couldn't find it, but they asked other questions and found this:

The Reuters/Ipsos poll found 31 percent of Americans feel "more safe" because of the ban, compared with 26 percent who said they felt "less safe." Some 38 percent said they felt the United States was setting "a good example" of how best to confront terrorism, while 41 percent said the country was setting "a bad example."

So really only 31% actually think this EO is HELPING us.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
These surveys are always funny and doesnt make sense. They couldn't even get 49% Americans to vote for the election, I wonder how many voted for this.

Fhtagn

I'd be curious to know what percentage of people in favor of it can accurately describe who the ban applies to, because I'd wager half of them couldn't even tell you what a green card is for.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
'They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.'

Or so they used to say.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol Insomniac fucked up. I bet Ted Price is sweating balls right now and refusing to pick up calls from Marvel and Sony.

guek

Banned

yup

The imminent danger angle is ridiculous.

They don't have any intelligence to justify it, they have nothing that could possible justify multiple countries. But they stand up and say, darkly, that they are being blocked from protecting the lives of innocent Americans.

Under that propaganda I am surprised 50% are against the ban. Gives me some hope. Not much hope I admit but some.

remenber after 9/11 Bush did not impose an immigration refugee ban on the Arab world or on a religion. He could have done it, Americans were so scared even sophisticated educated ones. He didn't because he and his cabinet knew that was stupidity.

This isn't surprising.

FT_15.11.18_refugeePublicOpinion.png

Source: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/30/key-facts-about-refugees-to-the-u-s/

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
These are the same people who fall for the 'ol bowl of skittles metaphor, I'm sure. Oh no! One of them is poisoned! You wouldn't want to eat any of those would you?

Formless

Anecdotally someone I know who is a fervent Trump supporter did not know and did not hear through his news that people living in the US via green card or visa that were returning were being deported/detained (he thinks that is bad). So that's something.

America seems so divided in polls like this.

Is there any (realistic) issue that Trump might push that would be widely disapproved? Perhaps if they didn't do their homework well enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom