• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

THRILLH0

Banned
Are there strong opinions on the Momentum on-ear vs the Amperior?

I know there are probably better options in the price range but these are the 2 available to me.

I listen to a lot of rock like Soundgarden, Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys and also more mellow stuff like The National and How to Dress Well.

Not much of an EDM fan.

Jzero

It may be a placebo but i think my DAC sounds better now that i removed it from the USB 3.0 port and inserted it into a USB 2.0 port.

HiResDes

Are there strong opinions on the Momentum on-ear vs the Amperior?

I know there are probably better options in the price range but these are the 2 available to me.

I listen to a lot of rock like Soundgarden, Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys and also more mellow stuff like The National and How to Dress Well.

Not much of an EDM fan.
For rock the Amperior is the clear winner.

udiie

hey headphoneGAF, question:
Westone Adventure Series in ear headphones are on sale right now for 90 bucks @ Canada Computers;
394687-westone-adv-alpha.jpg

anyone got any impressions or feedback on these? I'm currently using Sony XBA-2 in ear buds for comparisons sake.

edit: for reference, I listen to lots of hip hop, rap, and also rock and alternative. pretty wide range of music actually.

trixx

Okay so i haven't bit on the tony bennett koss dj's yet because i wanted to hear your thoughts in comparison to the AIAIAI TMA-1 X(154 in canada or i can get DJ for 189). I don't mind the price but if they aren't worth it, i won't buy it. I'm guessing the biggest problem is that they are plastic, but digging the minimalist style.

Ryman

Hey everyone, a friend of mine is looking to get some active noise canceling headphones. He is looking to spend around $50. I've done some looking myself and can't quite find anything in that price range. Anny suggestions?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Wow, haven't kept up with this thread in a while, and I can't believe I missed out on that X1 deal. I'm looking to replace my everyday home headphones (grado SR60) and those would be perfect. I also have a pair of HD600 paired with a HiFiman amp/dac but I honestly don't use it as much. Guess I'll wait for another sale, amazon has them for $230 right now. Super jealous of everyone that got them during that sale, what a steal.

purg3

slept with Malkin
The X1 are so similar to your HD600 that I wouldn't worry about it, they're just a bit warmer, but don't have as much detail.

Yeah I figured that, I was just looking for something to complement what I have and that didn't always need to be plugged into an amp. I have my headphone setup in my living room area, and wanted something to use in different areas of the house(pc/tablet/bedroom, etc). Seemed like a pretty good price to performance purchase. I've had my HD600's for a couple of years now and wouldn't want to spend more than I got those for at the time. So the x1's seemed like a great buy at that price.

HiResDes

Yeah I figured that, I was just looking for something to complement what I have and that didn't always need to be plugged into an amp. I have my headphone setup in my living room area, and wanted something to use in different areas of the house(pc/tablet/bedroom, etc). Seemed like a pretty good price to performance purchase. I've had my HD600's for a couple of years now and wouldn't want to spend more than I got those for at the time. So the x1's seemed like a great buy at that price.

You could always cop some Somic MH43s and then replace their pads with Turtle Beach X12s giving you a headphone almost as good as the X1 with the same lower impedance.

terrible

Banned
I know it's a bit of work but you could even just buy some HD650 drivers directly from Sennheiser and put them in your HD600s lol. All their parts are interchangeable. As far as I know it's not much more than $100 for two HD650 drivers.

The X1s would probably be a step down from HD600s.

robox

so about 4 years in, the vinyl on headband of my audio technica M50 is shedding itself. anything to do about that? mostly concerned for the mess it's leaving behind

the earpads started to harden and crack a long time ago but condition has plateaued.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I concur, but I think he wants an easy drive phone

Exactly. I was actually just looking at the ATH-M50x's and those seem like maybe a better option. Since they also now have the removable cable, They might make a better utility headphone than the X1 at the current price.

That was one of the reasons I wanted the X1, because I could get something like the v-moda boom mic and double it as a headset for gaming too.

edit: just noticed the m50x's use a proprietary locking connector so the v-moda boom mic wouldn't work, but there's a modded 'r' version that would allow it. hmmm.

garath

Exactly. I was actually just looking at the ATH-M50x's and those seem like maybe a better option. Since they also now have the removable cable, They might make a better utility headphone than the X1 at the current price.

That was one of the reasons I wanted the X1, because I could get something like the v-moda boom mic and double it as a headset for gaming too.

edit: just noticed the m50x's use a proprietary locking connector so the v-moda boom mic wouldn't work, but there's a modded 'r' version that would allow it. hmmm.

For what it's worth, I love my X1s with a v-moda boom mic. Seriously solid setup. Friends tell me I sound crystal clear as well.

Be honest. It just looks damn fine:p

For what it's worth, I love my X1s with a v-moda boom mic. Seriously solid setup. Friends tell me I sound crystal clear as well.

I guess you made me buy the mic.

garath

I guess you made me buy the mic.

You won't regret it. The mic is easy to adjust (it's on some sort of flex tube stuff), sounds great, has some inline controls for volume and mic mute if you need that sort of thing (I loved it coming from my Plantronics headset that had the same thing) and beats the crap out of a clipon in terms of reducing clutter. No extra wires hanging around.

Basically turns the X1s into the best sounding headset you'll ever own.

Honey Bunny

Are there any good sub 100 quid earphones with detachable cables besides the Shure SE215? I'm tired of yanking on the cable and having to ditch the set.

HiResDes

Tony Bennett Koss also have a detachable cable

Edwardo

So I used to have beats solo hd's, but they broke after a while. I'm looking into getting a new set of headphones for when I'm at home listening to music/gaming/watching whatever on my computer. I saw the Sennheiser HD-360 on sale on amazon for 70% off and wanted to see if any of you have tried them before.

HiResDes

So I used to have beats solo hd's, but they broke after a while. I'm looking into getting a new set of headphones for when I'm at home listening to music/gaming/watching whatever on my computer. I saw the Sennheiser HD-360 on sale on amazon for 70% off and wanted to see if any of you have tried them before.
They are basically HD-380s in a PX360 shell, so pretty good headphones albeit a bit V-shaped in sound with aggressive treble and an elevated bass response. They usually go for under $100, so make sure they weren't marked up then marked down. I personally don't like the way they fit.

Edwardo

They are basically HD-380s in a PX360 shell, so pretty good headphones albeit a bit V-shaped in sound with aggressive treble and an elevated bass response. They usually go for under $100, so make sure they weren't marked up then marked down. I personally don't like the way they fit.

Alright thanks. I was reading a bunch of reviews and a lot of people were saying that they are pretty uncomfortable. I'll probably keep looking.

HiResDes

Alright thanks. I was reading a bunch of reviews and a lot of people were saying that they are pretty uncomfortable. I'll probably keep looking.
If you like the Solos I'm sure you'd also really like the Accidentally Extraordinary 51st Studio headphones, which have a somewhat bassy yet not so veiled sound signature.

Just got my ears flushed at the doctors for the first time because my right ear sounded like it was clogged by ear wax. Holy shit, I thought I had decent hearing before, but wow. I used to be an abuser of Q-tips, bu all that gunked crap on both of my ears that came out really made it all that worse.

Goddamn I can't wait to play with my ATHs again.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Hopefully they concentrate on their comfort and on making some decent closed cans possibly this time that still retain that house sound.

I love my grado's, but damn do they hurt my head. I can really only wear them in spurts. Looking at the pictures on their site, they look identical to the standard line as far as the headband goes. Which is a little disappointing, otherwise I would buy these without question.

HiResDes

I love my grado's, but damn do they hurt my head. I can really only wear them in spurts. Looking at the pictures on their site, they look identical to the standard line as far as the headband goes. Which is a little disappointing, otherwise I would buy these without question.

If you just have SR80s you should check out the Audio Technica TAD500, which have a similar sound signature yet are a bit more comfortable.

Sheik

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question. Thanks in advance.

I just bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S (straight cable version), and while it sounds great with my iPod, I'm having some major difficulties using them with my computer. My desktop is fairly new and I haven't had any problems with any other headphones or the pair of IEMs I use so I'm totally at a loss.

1) The headphones won't work with the front jack on my PC. If I wiggle the plug around into a slightly angled position it works perfectly momentarily but loses connection when I let go of it.

2) The jack at the back of my computer works with the M50S but the volume is very quiet. At 100% volume it's decently loud but still nowhere near what it should be. I'm wondering if this is because the jack isn't plugged in properly or at least not registering properly?

Are the headphones just incompatible with the jack ports on my desktop or onboard sound card? Why would they be incompatible if so? Would getting something like a jack extension cable (if such a thing exists) be a solution? Or should I get a dac amp? So confused as to why my other headphones work fine with my computer and the M50S work fine with my iPod.

HiResDes

Check and see what kind of onboard soundcard you have, if it's shit you might want to upgrade to something like a Asus Xonar or Soundblaster or Nuforce Udac-3

Sheik

Check and see what kind of onboard soundcard you have, if it's shit you might want to upgrade to something like a Asus Xonar or Soundblaster or Nuforce Udac-3

I'm pretty sure I'm using the Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI. It's a Mini ITX board with the Realtek ALC892 audio chipset according to Newegg. To be honest, don't really know anything about soundcards and such but I'm willing to bet it's not very good lol.

You would recommend getting a new soundcard over an amp? So my issue isn't with my computer jacks, it's the soundcard? Why do my other headphones and IEMs work then?

HiResDes

Hmm if your other headphones work then it's definitely the jack, but so changing the soundcard wouldn't help. You could try copping a USB DAC and then buying a cheap 3.5mm adapter

Top Bottom