• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I just gave one my most played songs(tried it through the receiver too) a listen on the laptop and I've come to the conclusion that the receiver is definitely doing something to improve the sound. It's just neutered without the Onkyo.

Edit: Eww I have to get back to the Onkyo this is horrible haha.
HiResDes said:
Oh if they sound good to you that's all that matters, I can't dictate what your ears hear.
My grado had great sound on my shitty laptop until I picked up an external soundcard and saw the light.

Just let me know if there are options. That's why I post in this thread in the first place lol.

Hey guys, I'm looking for advice on buying a set of headphones solely for TV-viewing. Here are the details:

- I own a pair of in-ear Shure headphones (I think they're SE315's, but I can't remember) for iPod/laptop use.

- I recently moved into an apartment where the people staying above me have their bed RIGHT below my TV, and they go to bed really early. Being the considerate (and night owl) motherfucker that I am, I figure a pair of headphones is the best solution.

- I want a pair that is comfortable and can be worn for hours (thus I'm guessing not in-ear). They also need to have a long cord, as my couch is approximately 8 or 9 feet from my TV.

- They'll be used exclusively with my TV: an 8th generation Pioneer Kuro.

- Price matters, but I have no set price for this. I'd prefer to only spend ~$200, preferably less, but if there's one obvious set of headphones that everyone agrees I need to get that's slightly higher, then I'll be open to it.

Thanks in advance for the advice, let me know if you need any more info.

HiResDes

Mike Works said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for advice on buying a set of headphones solely for TV-viewing. Here are the details:

- I own a pair of in-ear Shure headphones (I think they're SE315's, but I can't remember) for iPod/laptop use.

- I recently moved into an apartment where the people staying above me have their bed RIGHT below my TV, and they go to bed really early. Being the considerate (and night owl) motherfucker that I am, I figure a pair of headphones is the best solution.

- I want a pair that is comfortable and can be worn for hours (thus I'm guessing not in-ear). They also need to have a long cord, as my couch is approximately 8 or 9 feet from my TV.

- Price matters, but I have no set price for this. I'd prefer to only spend ~$200, preferably less, but if there's one obvious set of headphones that everyone agrees I need to get that's slightly higher, then I'll be open to it.

Audio Technica ATH900 or the HFI-780
SolarPowered said:
I just gave one my most played songs(tried it through the receiver too) a listen on the laptop and I've come to the conclusion that the receiver is definitely doing something to improve the sound. It's just neutered without the Onkyo.

Edit: Eww I have to get back to the Onkyo this is horrible haha.

My grado had great sound on my shitty laptop until I picked up an external soundcard and saw the light.

Just let me know if there are options. That's why I post in this thread in the first place lol.

Since you already have an external soundcard maybe look into a nice entry level amp, I currently have a Little Dot MKII on order, which pairs well with Beyers given it's strong midrange.

Oh, I suppose I should mention that I have an ancient sound receiver as well. It's a Yamaha RX-V390. Comes with 2 stereo speakers and one front speaker. I suppose I could/would plug the headphones into that if preferable.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Mike Works said:

I'm pretty sure you would be down for some open headphones so i honestly would suggest the Sennheiser HD 5xx series. Super comfortable, and you can find the HD 555's for a lot less than your budget. You can also mod them to the 595's if you want. Very typical recommendation but there is a reason why they are recommended.

Here's the link i've been posting on this thread about the HD 555-595 "differences"
http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

Ashhong

Are there headphones with cables that are 8-9 feet? I would get an extension cable from monoprice.com or something so that you can comfortably plug it in without worry of walking too far or something. That's a pretty big distance

Ashhong said:
Are there headphones with cables that are 8-9 feet? I would get an extension cable from monoprice.com or something so that you can comfortably plug it in without worry of walking too far or something. That's a pretty big distance
The straight cord version of the m50 that everyone loves to recommend is like 11 feet. I went and took four feet off of mine and it's still probably longer than I need.

Hey guys. I don't know much about this. My shitty Sony headphones broke last week and I want to invest into a good set.

I've got about 100-150 bucks, and I'm looking for something that will work with my iPhone/iPod. I have tinnitus, so I try not to get my ears into too much trouble when I listen to music, but I do listen to a lot of music. My only real spec is that I want headphones that sound great when the volume isn't too high. So I guess I need good isolation. Also, I can't stand earbuds.

Edit : I mostly listen to stuff with guitars in it, so I guess it goes from Radiohead to Deerhunter to Fleet Foxes to T.Rex... you catch my drift. So I guess plain old rock to more experimental rock to pop-rock to punk-rock, and a lot of acoustic stuff like folk is what I listen to the most.

Anyone has a recommendation for that kind of specifications?

I mostly listen to stuff with guitars in it, so I guess it goes from Radiohead to Deerhunter to Fleet Foxes to T.Rex... you catch my drift. So I guess plain old rock to more experimental rock to pop-rock to punk-rock, and a lot of acoustic stuff like folk is what I listen to the most.

Not much bass-heavy stuff, a little hip hop now and then, but mostly rock and its variations.

HiResDes

Foreign Jackass said:
I mostly listen to stuff with guitars in it, so I guess it goes from Radiohead to Deerhunter to Fleet Foxes to T.Rex... you catch my drift. So I guess plain old rock to more experimental rock to pop-rock to punk-rock, and a lot of acoustic stuff like folk is what I listen to the most.

Not much bass-heavy stuff, a little hip hop now and then, but mostly rock and its variations.
AKG K271 MKII Closed Back Version

...I think that's the no-brainer choice with those musical choices

Antagon

Anyone got tips for some affordable, versatile headphones? Budget is around 100 Euros and they're going to be used for listening to music (partially when I'm behind the PC, without an amp) and playing bass guitar. I'm also looking for a pair with a removable cable as I tend to break them way too often.

HiResDes said:
I completely forgot about these when I was picking out phones in the sub $200 range for my cousin. The frequency response is a lot better than the M50 and they offer much better bass than the AT phones on the lower rungs. They also do not require(although I'm sure they'd benefit from them) an amp.
HiResDes said:
Since you already have an external soundcard maybe look into a nice entry level amp, I currently have a Little Dot MKII on order, which pairs well with Beyers given it's strong midrange.
I have not used it in years since I moved up to windows 7. I would have to break it out again, but I think it won't even turn on anymore. Would the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 work as a good replacement? It kills two birds with one stone and it's portable.

I'm leaning towards recommending this one to my cousin if he decides to pull the triggers on the Beyers.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ask yourself: Why not?

There's plenty of discussion out there, on what the mod does for the HD555.

besiktas1

I call these Thor, the bass rocks the world like a thundergod :3

le2Jpl.jpg

7SuRBl.jpg

3x6g5l.jpg

JackEtc

K.Jack said:
Ask yourself: Why not?

There's plenty of discussion out there, on what the mod does for the HD555.
Went through and did it.

I definitely get a better bass response from them. A very slight difference, but sounds better for sure. Awesome.

Now I just need an Astro mixamp for surround sound and Xbox live chat.....

EDIT: Does anyone know if simulated/real surround sound works with these? I go Googling around and get mixed answers.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The TMA-1 are the most ugly headphones I have ever seen. That said, there is something about their ugliness that seems almost utilitarian, like the kind of headphone the military might use or something. To the extent that they are so ugly they become unique and different, and somewhat beautiful in their own right. I heard they sound good too. I'm jelly. How's comfort? They look like they're supra aural.

Ashhong

MacGurcules said:
The straight cord version of the m50 that everyone loves to recommend is like 11 feet. I went and took four feet off of mine and it's still probably longer than I need.

Ah I forgot about the straight cable version. Thats so goddamn long lol

JackEtc said:
Went through and did it.

I definitely get a better bass response from them. A very slight difference, but sounds better for sure. Awesome.

EDIT: Does anyone know if simulated/real surround sound works with these? I go Googling around and get mixed answers.

From what I understand, a decent set of stereo headphones (i.e. your 555s) and a decent source will simulate surround as good or better than those multi-drive 5.1 gaming sets. I can say that playing both Fallout and MGS4 on my PS3 with my A700s plugged into my receiver, I have no problems at all distinguishing directional noises.

Darkatomz

sharkmuncher said:
From what I understand, a decent set of stereo headphones (i.e. your 555s) and a decent source will ALWAYS simulate surround as good or better than those multi-drive 5.1 gaming sets. I can say that playing both Fallout and MGS4 on my PS3 with my A700s plugged into my receiver, I have no problems at all distinguishing directional noises.
Fix'd.

Kyaw

Extollere said:
The TMA-1 are the most ugly headphones I have ever seen. That said, there is something about their ugliness that seems almost utilitarian, like the kind of headphone the military might use or something. To the extent that they are so ugly they become unique and different, and somewhat beautiful in their own right. I heard they sound good too. I'm jelly. How's comfort? They look like they're supra aural.

I actually like their looks. The minimalistic and matt look definitely impresses me.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Kyaw said:
I actually like their looks. The minimalistic and matt look definitely impresses me.

I do too, I guess what I was trying to say is that they are unique in their style. Ugly was a harsh word, but the fact that they look the way they do is really a standout. Not sure I could ever deal with supra aural phones again. My ears are just shaped in such a way that they give me incredible pain and discomfort most of the time.

Ark

Extollere said:
I do too, I guess what I was trying to say is that they are unique in their style. Ugly was a harsh word, but the fact that they look the way they do is really a standout. Not sure I could ever deal with supra aural phones again. My ears are just shaped in such a way that they give me incredible pain and discomfort most of the time.

Once you go circumaural, you never go back.

Antagon

Looking at getting either a sennheiser hd518 or 558 (a bit above my first budget, but if it's good enough I can stretch a bit). Seems like they'd fit my requirements well. Anyone got experience with these?

besiktas1

Ark said:
Dat hair.

(I'm joking, grats on the awesome cans :))

...my hair :'( I'm super conscious about it.... </3 :p

Yeah I'm finding it comfortable to wear but I can see the cord pissing me off sooner or later. It sounds so good though. I am only listening to A Milli to get my moneys worth :p

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
JackEtc said:
Went through and did it.

Pairing an Astro mixamp or plugging them in the Tritton's decoder box does wonders with a HD 555. Plugging them in a receiver is also a great alternative, but when using Dolby headphone it adds a nice spacious sound stage and is really great for picking out footsteps at distances in FPS games and not just that, it just plain sounds great.

def sim

Anyone know where I can find M50's at their proper $120 price range? It seems like it's been raised to 140-150 online and 160 at local retailers. If the price is going to remain the same, I'd rather spend the extra 10-20 to get it instantly.

Edit: I'm loving the AD700's. Didn't expect to get this much clarity. Also, hey there's actually bass on these things. I was expecting zero from everyone's impressions.

JackEtc

AwesomeSauce said:
Pairing an Astro mixamp or plugging them in the Tritton's decoder box does wonders with a HD 555. Plugging them in a receiver is also a great alternative, but when using Dolby headphone it adds a nice spacious sound stage and is really great for picking out footsteps at distances in FPS games and not just that, it just plain sounds great.
If I'm correct in knowing what a receiver is, I don't have that kind of setup. As of now, my HD555s are just plugged into the front of my computer, and then my Xbox is plugged into my internal capture card, then into my monitor, meaning I can still hear Xbox audio through the computer (through the capture card).

You said that the HD555 and Mixamp are great together. Does it really feel like surround sound? Aren't the speakers too close to the ear?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
rance said:
Edit: I'm loving the AD700's. Didn't expect to get this much clarity. Also, hey there's actually bass on these things. I was expecting zero from everyone's impressions.

Most people seem to expect monstrous jaw rattling bass, as though how much cranial abuse a phone can deliver were an indicator of the headphone quality alone. I remember when I told a friend about a recent headphone purchase I had made, and without even having told him the model he replied something like "I bet those new headphones are making your face melt with incredible bass"... all I could say was actually...no.

Alucrid

Banned
Extollere said:
Most people seem to expect monstrous jaw rattling bass, as though how much cranial abuse a phone can deliver were an indicator of the headphone quality alone. I remember when I told a friend about a recent headphone purchase I had made, and without even having told him the model he replied something like "I bet those new headphones are making your face melt with incredible bass"... all I could say was actually...no.

Really, you need a speaker set up to do that.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Alucrid said:
Really, you need a speaker set up to do that.

Even then I'm generally not impressed with over powering bass. Unless you're at a club or dance hall, why do some people want one end of the spectrum to dominate all of their music, even when just listening casually?

Alucrid

Banned
Extollere said:
Even then I'm generally not impressed with over powering bass. Unless you're at a club or dance hall, why do some people want one end of the spectrum to dominate all of their music, even when just listening casually?

I dunno. People seem to equate quality with a large amount of bass.

Extollere said:
because they've never heard otherwise. that, and they probably listen to electronic music, which seems to emphasize bass and treble (very little in the way of mids in pop).

also, because most people have cheap headphones (< $60) ...and in those cans, the most obvious deficiency is bass. It will either be non-existent or will be bloated and distorted. As such, a pair of cans with a lot of bass that doesn't distort gets viewed as "wonderful". It fills a need that had been unaddressed prior to. This is why Beats and similar can sell well, despite their high price and mediocre sound quality.

besiktas1

Charred Greyface said:
Can I get a recommendation for a headphone using memory foam?

Nice! How many alternate cushions are there for this baby? Any chance of a cushion made from memory foam?
It comes with a leathery one already on it and a spongy one separate in the box. I'm guessing that's what you mean by foam :) so yes it does.

Ashhong

rance said:
Anyone know where I can find M50's at their proper $120 price range? It seems like it's been raised to 140-150 online and 160 at local retailers. If the price is going to remain the same, I'd rather spend the extra 10-20 to get it instantly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-...ltDomain_0&hash=item27bae83e51#ht_1525wt_1139

They claim to be authorized dealers. I got my sets from an authorized ebay dealer, no problems. Also you can get like 15% off if you use Internet Explorer 9. I don't know the specifics of that though.

Blackhead

Redarse
besiktas1 said:
It comes with a leathery one already on it and a spongy one separate in the box. I'm guessing that's what you mean by foam :) so yes it does.
You went with the leather then, over the spongy one? :) this is memory foam. It's used in the B&W P5. Is the TMA-1 better, do you think? It's cheaper and has more options so I'd like to get it.

LegoArmo

I bought an X-CAN V8P to drive my D5000s, I can't help but think an E7/E9 combo would have done the job well enough and saved me £200. Hmm.

maruchan

I just did my first recable a week ago, some SONY MDR-V3, i got these for 2 bucks at goodwill. after the recable these sound awesome, they have great mids and highs, bass not to much but not bad.. i compare these to my beyerdamnic 231 in sound quality which is pretty damn good...

I also recabled my Grado sr-60's but done have pictures of it..

a little sloppy but its my first time..
9a4eeaf5.jpg

Ark

Well, my E7 came today and I'm dead pleased with it. Makes me D2000's sound even better than before!

Hopefully I should get some M50's within the next two weeks too.

Top Bottom