• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Ashhong

Dr Eggman said:
But they have Dr.Dre's face on the box!

How does that make you any less of a sucka? :p

Wormdundee said:
Don't buy a headset. Buy good phones and attach a Zalman ZM-Mic1 to the cord.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029MTMQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've never been impressed by the sound quality of any headsets and I've been doing it this way for years.

This intrigues me. I would be able to use my M50s instead of my cheap altec lansing headset that feels like shit on my ears now. How is the quality of this mic? Very good? It doesnt mess up the cable or anything at all?

psy18

Just grabbed this today (sorry for the shitty cam)

2011-05-09181257_resize.jpg

2011-05-09181317_resize.jpg

Tested without amp, straight out of the box into a Galaxy-S

+Great bass. It's there but not overwhelmingly much.
+Mid is clear and not muddled by the lows.
+The treble is a bit mixed. It's great on some songs and can even brighten some muddy songs, but it can also be very harsh on my ears for few other songs.

-Look a bit cheap with plastic body & paper box (the box prolly because it have adidas endorsement. Thought this was a knock-off before testing it)

+/-Clamping is tight.

This baby sounds wonderful out of the box without amp. I'm sure it can give more bass if necessary.
I just hope the treble will calm down after a while.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wormdundee said:
Don't buy a headset. Buy good phones and attach a Zalman ZM-Mic1 to the cord.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029MTMQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've never been impressed by the sound quality of any headsets and I've been doing it this way for years.

He asked for something with a clear mic, and you recommend a Zalman clip on.

smh

He needs something with a good unidirectional noise canceling mic. The Sennheiser PC 350 and PC 360 are the best I've heard in this regard.

besiktas1

Still nothing from Royal Mail... They said they'll call me back after I called them this morning. Maybe I'm being a pessimist but it looks like my my headphones are truly lost. I guess I now have to call Amazon and ask them to send another (I hope they do)

Ashhong - wearing iems with the wire over the ear is meant to cut down on microphonics, as vibrations are mostly cut off where the wire goes over your ear.

Des - I thought those were Sennheiser IE8s at first glance, then I saw the GR07 name and was like... Didn't Grado make a phone called the GR7? Very confusing lol. They seem like a steal for the price.

Ashhong said:
How does that make you any less of a sucka? :p

This intrigues me. I would be able to use my M50s instead of my cheap altec lansing headset that feels like shit on my ears now. How is the quality of this mic? Very good? It doesnt mess up the cable or anything at all?

Very good? No. Just good. You'll have to have headphones with a thick cable style if you actually want to be able to clip them on but it doesn't mess it up in any way. They are pretty extremely sensitive though so you'll have to use push-to-talk but who doesn't do that anyway?

TheExodu5 said:
He asked for something with a clear mic, and you recommend a Zalman clip on.

smh

He needs something with a good unidirectional noise canceling mic. The Sennheiser PC 350 and PC 360 are the best I've heard in this regard.

Not sure what you're talking about. I've heard myself and at least 3 other people through these and it sounded completely fine. It doesn't sound any different than a phone call.

Ark

Ok, just for the sake of it I decided to compare my D2000's to my Dad's pair of these.

And umm...Yeah. The £80 price difference almost seems negligible, those on-ears barely sound like they deserve a £30 price-tag compared to my D2000's.

I also decided to go and compare the D2000's against my old Sennheiser HD212 Pro's, the bass on the 212's is just...All over the place. You can't really hear anything past the lead vocals and the bass (I bought the 212's for £30 3 years ago, so to be expected) and for some final kicks, decided to compare them to my £99 JBL 2.1 system (which I haven't used since I got my D2K's, and um. We wont go there.

Think I'm definitely going to get myself an E7 this week (damn procrastination!) and an E9 later on down the road.

And with any luck, upgrade to some D5000's during Christmas, haha!

Oh, btw. Does anyone know where I can find some larger ear-pads for the D2K's? I've seen a few people with modded ear-cups and I'd like to know where and how they get the ear-pads.

Ark

HiResDes said:
I think it was Dreams that noted that the Nuforce HD > E7+E9 Combo in regards to powering the Denon AHD5000's

Three problems here:

1) I only have the D2000's :p

2) That is way out of budget at the moment

3) I can't find that thing anywhere in the UK.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Dr Eggman said:
I have Beats Studios. Am I a bad person?

Nah, you are alright in my book. I have some Studios as well. I got them for 129 from the Monster Outlet. They do what I need and they look cool. I have had them for about 4 months, haven't had any issues at all.

Ark said:
Ok, just for the sake of it I decided to compare my D2000's to my Dad's pair of these.

And umm...Yeah. The £80 price difference almost seems negligible, those on-ears barely sound like they deserve a £30 price-tag compared to my D2000's.

I also decided to go and compare the D2000's against my old Sennheiser HD212 Pro's, the bass on the 212's is just...All over the place. You can't really hear anything past the lead vocals and the bass (I bought the 212's for £30 3 years ago, so to be expected) and for some final kicks, decided to compare them to my £99 JBL 2.1 system (which I haven't used since I got my D2K's, and um. We wont go there.

Think I'm definitely going to get myself an E7 this week (damn procrastination!) and an E9 later on down the road.

And with any luck, upgrade to some D5000's during Christmas, haha!

Oh, btw. Does anyone know where I can find some larger ear-pads for the D2K's? I've seen a few people with modded ear-cups and I'd like to know where and how they get the ear-pads.
Well, I know these pads are somewhat popular. To some people they are a strict upgrade, but not to others. Personally I don't think it's worth the money, but YMMV.

http://www.jmoneyaudio.com/denonpads.php

Ark

LegoArmo said:
Just ordered the Denon AH-D5000 for £349. One hell of an impulse buy.

Ooohhhhhh I'm so jealous right now. I want the wooden ear-cups more than anything else lol.

Does anyone know if I should buy a line out cable like this for the E7 (I'll only be connecting my Mac to it, it wont really be moving anywhere) or if I can get away with not buying one?

Ark said:
Ooohhhhhh I'm so jealous right now. I want the wooden ear-cups more than anything else lol.

Does anyone know if I should buy a line out cable like this for the E7 (I'll only be connecting my Mac to it, it wont really be moving anywhere) or if I can get away with not buying one?
Isn't that just for the ipod, iphone etc? If you're listening on your mac (laptop?) what would that even connect to?

On a laptop you would use the E7 via USB cable.

Ark said:

for the E7 you'll only want to use the USB cable.

use the cable at the link for connecting an iDevice to the E7.

I got my Beyer DT-990 nearly two hours ago and I spent just an over an hour combing through my favorite albums and music to see what these babies can do...

They definitely clamp down and the look of the headphones is pretty unique compared to the grado, senn and koss design. I had no idea the cable would be coiled just like my M50, but it's a welcome feature since I hate dragging long cords across the ground. It also has a 1/4" plug that screws on just like the M50. With that stuff settled I can move on to the sound.

These are most definitely not cans for the faint of heart and hearing. They pack a massive amount of energy and it gives every piece of music I hear a distinct edge that makes me feel like my brain is in a sword fight with my own music. This is not a bad quality at all. It gives electronic music and rock music a distinct feel, but it's not for everyone. The treble is sharp and it comes without warning when high frequency notes and instruments come into play.

One sound quality that I have not given any thought since I first bought my SR80s is instrument separation. I got my first taste of it with those phones and it blew my mind away. It's definitely present in the M50, but the beyers without any burn in whatsoever take the cake in this quality. It managed to reveal chirps, chimes, drums, hums and EVEN MARACAS(on one of my favorite songs no less) for god's sake. It's definitely on another level when it comes to revealing details and giving each and every one of them the time and space to shine.

The midrange is something I don't have much experience with. I have not listened to Shures in a while and they've got the best midrange presentation of any of my audio equipment. When compared to the M50 I wouldn't say that I'm missing out terribly on midrange so I wouldn't avoid the Beyers on this note when the price is so close to the M50.

The part I really wanted to talk about is the bass on these. It's honestly the greatest set of cans that I've ever had the pleasure of hearing in this department. It goes deep(think 20,000 leagues under the sea kind of deep) and it'll rattle your skull. An album with high production values will literally have you peeling back layers on the low end that you've never heard before and then some. The M50 cannot even begin to compare to the power that these phones pack in this area.

To sum it all up, I'd say that these phones are for those people who know that they've got the chops to handle sharp sound and a powerful base. My head is still shaking a bit because I literally went an hour straight using my receiver and ipod until it nearly ran out of power. They are definitely the BEST deal out right now in the sub $200 range for anyone who has the means to power the 250ohm+ versions, but I definitely have to stress that they are in that mid-high range of quality. You'll see yourself spending nearly 400 and over to find sound and power of this quality.

Now to burn them both in together until Friday...

Ark

Dreams-Visions said:
for the E7 you'll only want to use the USB cable.

use the cable at the link for connecting an iDevice to the E7.

Alright thanks a lot. I would use my E7 for my iPod touch, but it's just too clunky.

opticalmace said:
Isn't that just for the ipod, iphone etc? If you're listening on your mac (laptop?) what would that even connect to?

In hindsight it does sound silly. Ah well, no harm in asking.

besiktas1

Alhamdurrilah! Royal Mail redeemed! My Thundergods have arrived. They are having sex with my airs as we speak. Unboxing when I get in...

Ark

besiktas1 said:
Alhamdurrilah! Royal Mail redeemed! My Thundergods have arrived. They are having sex with my airs as we speak. Unboxing when I get in...

Good to hear! Hope you enjoy them :)

I've just ordered my E7 from Amazon, should be here on Wednesday since I've got Prime.

Kyaw

Just been researching about DT990s, Alessandro MS1 and MS2.

Going more towards the MS2s. I'm guessing they dont really require an amp but would be better with a good amp?

DT990 600ohm seems fine for my needs too but i'm a bit worried about amping it.
Dunno whether my 5.1 receiver is good enough for it or not. While it can go up to 850w for speakers, not so sure about the integrated headphone dac/amp department.

Also with amps, which amps are recommended?
This seems fairly suitable for DT990s. Or could look at Little Dot MKII.

HiResDes

Kyaw said:
Just been researching about DT990s, Alessandro MS1 and MS2.

Going more towards the MS2s. I'm guessing they dont really require an amp but would be better with a good amp?

DT990 600ohm seems fine for my needs too but i'm a bit worried about amping it.
Dunno whether my 5.1 receiver is good enough for it or not. While it can go up to 850w for speakers, not so sure about the integrated headphone dac/amp department.

Also with amps, which amps are recommended?
This seems fairly suitable for DT990s. Or could look at Little Dot MKII.
You only need a low-tier amp to really drive the MS2's...And thus if you spend the extra money and go with the MS2's maybe you'll be saving money in the long run because you won't have to buy a high tier amp to drive them...Excellent choice

Kyaw

Yeah true. Nothing's concrete at the moment. Just researching for the near future.
Will upgrade before the end of the year though.

On another note, tube amps are way too cool.

HiResDes

Kyaw said:
Yeah true. Nothing's concrete at the moment. Just researching for the near future.
Will upgrade before the end of the year though.

On another note, tube amps are way too cool.
If you're gonna get a tube though might as well get the DT990, lol.

HiResDes said:
Why not get the Headroom Micro Amp, seems like a no brainer lol
Yeah, I've thought about it but I wonder if I could get something better for the price ($350). I have the Micro DAC because I got it used for a really good price.

Been interested in Audio-gd amps for a while but have never tried them. But yeah, the Micro Amp might be the ticket if I can't find something that is a better value.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
opticalmace said:
Any suggestions for an amp, $200-$400, non-portable? Solid state, I think.

With Denon D2000 and HeadRoom Micro DAC. Thanks.

I'm using a Travagan's Red with my D2000s for my office rig. An outstanding amp, neutral as all fuck. Highly recommended, at only $190 USD. (Head-Fi thread here) I have my iPad fed through it via LOD and it's simply fantastic.

opticalmace said:
Any suggestions for an amp, $200-$400, non-portable? Solid state, I think.

With Denon D2000 and HeadRoom Micro DAC. Thanks.
Heed Canamp dude. Check it out. It rivals many amps double to triple its price tag. $400 MSRP.

LoL at massive bass. Are those really from Sennheiser? Sounds like something from Skullcandy :l

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
dskillzhtown said:
Nah, you are alright in my book. I have some Studios as well. I got them for 129 from the Monster Outlet. They do what I need and they look cool. I have had them for about 4 months, haven't had any issues at all.
129? You sure that shit's real and not fake?

Kyaw said:
But money >.>
Why don't you just buy the DT-990 Pro model on amazon like I did? It's the 250ohm version which even average receivers should handle just fine.

Edit: Just saw that you are in the UK. Sorry, Bro.

:(
K.Jack said:
I need a decent mic, which can clip onto my TMA-1.

Budget of $50.
I've got a similar problem. I need a decent mic for these phones that I can use on my 360.

HiResDes

Those need to be amped as well, just not quite as much...250OHM is nothing to sneeze at, for example the Nuforce Udac-2 doesn't adequately power my 250OHM DT770's by itself.

HiResDes said:
Those need to be amped as well, just not quite as much...250OHM is nothing to sneeze at, for example the Nuforce Udac-2 doesn't adequately power my 250OHM DT770's by itself.
I was getting some seriously good sound and I barely heard noise or distortion. I thought I was safe. What amps work best in the 250ohm+ range?

Top Bottom