• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 New Forza Screens on IGN?

eso76

Blimblim said:
I'd go as far as agree that PGR2 looks strange in replays. Rallisport 2 too in fact. There is a weird camera problem that makes the cars look like more like toys in a not totally to scale word. Very hard to explain.

Well, it has to do with several thing which no one was able to replicate nearly as faithfully as the guys at Polyphony.
The reflections and lightning are generally all f*cked up. This is something you instantly notice if u have a little practice with modelling and rendering; if u don't use complex lightning algorithms like radiosity, you have to adjust the gamma values of the reflections. Gt series does but no one else understood how important it is to make the colours look right.
Other than that, the cars' speed is always wrong, especially during drifts (the drifting and side accelaration and deceleration is nailed perfectly in GT) which makes them look very light and thus, a lot like toys.
Finally, the virtual camera angles and zoom factor used would be impossible in real life; you wouldn't be able to use those values while shooting a moving car.

From what i've seen so far, Forza is no exception, being totally f*cked up in these departments too.

Colin Mc Rae 2k5 looks very realistic in replays though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
eso76 said:
Well, it has to do with several thing which no one was able to replicate nearly as faithfully as the guys at Polyphony.
The reflections and lightning are generally all f*cked up. This is something you instantly notice if u have a little practice with modelling and rendering; if u don't use complex lightning algorithms like radiosity, you have to adjust the gamma values of the reflections. Gt series does but no one else understood how important it is to make the colours look right.
Other than that, the cars' speed is always wrong, especially during drifts (the drifting and side accelaration and deceleration is nailed perfectly in GT) which makes them look very light and thus, a lot like toys.
Finally, the virtual camera angles and zoom factor used would be impossible in real life; you wouldn't be able to use those values while shooting a moving car.

From what i've seen so far, Forza is no exception, being totally f*cked up in these departments too.

Colin Mc Rae 2k5 looks very realistic in replays though.

Oh yes, this is rings very true.

ypo

"no one cared that GT1/2 weren't 60 fps."

LOL, Pole Position ran at 5 fps and no one cared. OMG OMG

dark10x

ypo said:
"no one cared that GT1/2 weren't 60 fps."

LOL, Pole Position ran at 5 fps and no one cared. OMG OMG

Actually, IIRC, Pole Position ran at 60 fps. I may be wrong, though...it's been a while.

dark10x

ypo said:
The 3D one done with sprites? No way it was.

Well, I was thinking of a different game...but I just tried Pole Position for the 2600 and it runs at a decent framerate.

ypo

So what are you saying? That people complained about Pole Position not running at 60 fps back in the days?

eso76

Blimblim said:
I'll have to check the beta again then, I don't usually watch replays (what's the point ?)

Heh. Well, i generally race SO that i can watch myself in the replay later :D
Seriously, i like watching replays when they are well directed and convincing as the ones in GT3.
Actually i remember keeping my PsOne looping the attract mode of RRT4 for hours while doing other things in my room, back in the days. I just thought it complemented my room's look.
Whatever.
:D

Redbeard

Banned
Those are really nice, though it seems to take looking from a certain angle in a certain kind of light to bring out the realism.

Gek54

Blimblim said:
I'd go as far as agree that PGR2 looks strange in replays. Rallisport 2 too in fact. There is a weird camera problem that makes the cars look like more like toys in a not totally to scale word. Very hard to explain.

Its not the camera, its the poor physics model.

dark10x

Gek54 said:
Its not the camera, its the poor physics model.

I'd say it's both...

The camera used for replays in PGR2 sucks compared to GT3. GT4 goes even further by adding in those excellent motion blur effects during replays...

jedimike

I think the screens look great. Honestly, I have never seen a screenshot of any game anywhere that didn't faithfully represent the final product. Even high res shots. I have seen some screens that were terrible quality where the game looked much better but never the other way around.

For you guys that have had problems with the final products not living up to screenshots, I suggest you put away Grandma's TV that she gave you when you were 10 years old and buy a TV that has more than an RF input.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jedimike said:
I think the screens look great. Honestly, I have never seen a screenshot of any game anywhere that didn't faithfully represent the final product. Even high res shots. I have seen some screens that were terrible quality where the game looked much better but never the other way around.

For you guys that have had problems with the final products not living up to screenshots, I suggest you put away Grandma's TV that she gave you when you were 10 years old and buy a TV that has more than an RF input.
Hmmm, midtown madness 3 comes to mind for not so faithful screenshots :
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/midtownmadness3/

jarrod

Banned
element said:
no one cared that GT1/2 weren't 60 fps. Now I think 60 FPS would have been a wise move, but dont say it is crap without at least checking it out.
Nice to know that Forza holds up to 1997/1999 standards. :p

jedimike

Blimblim said:
Hmmm, midtown madness 3 comes to mind for not so faithful screenshots :
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/midtownmadness3/

Looks like the same game I played...

sim-midtownmadness3-0011.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
forza-motorsport-20040728063452358.jpg

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Comparing these new shots to the absolutely shitty batch posted last week is night and day. That's the detail I'm talking about. Flawless lighting. Perfect pallette. Superb textures. I could care less about the FPS; I completed PGR2 and thought it rocked the casbah. I'll only nitpick FPS when it gets to the point of NFS Underground levels (sup-30; ~25fps), that's just fucking shitty.

mr2mike

Banned
The reflections in the water look just right.

Now give me either 60 fps, or if that's not possible, at least a kewl motion blur to stop my eyes from bleeding.

Gek54

If the steering is linear I may consider getting a crappy spring loaded xbox wheel for this game. Graphic smaphics, if the handling is as good as it is being hyped upto be, the visuals wont mean that much to me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Be how do you plan on dividing your time between this, OutRun 2 and Burnout 3? :D

By the way how often do you still play RSC2? I want to buy it but can't for like another month :(

BeOnEdge said:
if it moves at 60 this will be the mother of all racers graphically.

Hmm, I wouldn't go THAT far... That honor is going to OR2 or BO 3!

BeOnEdge said:
arent almost all old 2d games 60fps?

Not the OutRun series :)

Gek54 said:
If the steering is linear I may consider getting a crappy spring loaded xbox wheel for this game. Graphic smaphics, if the handling is as good as it is being hyped upto be, the visuals wont mean that much to me.

Well, there *is* that rumor of them bringing out a true FF wheel designed specifically for Forza...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Gek54 said:
Its not the rumor I started is it?

it was mentioned in an OXM preview actually. which puts it right at about the credibility of the rumor you started :p

Ranger X

[ antiFanboyAndGraphicWhoreShield ]

Sorry guys coudn't help myself but DAMN:

Why all racing games threads have to be shitty and everybody loosing their fucking time arguing at stupide shit like if 30FPS would kill a game and 10 thousands other SUPERFICIAL SHIT we always ear... wow. I don't get why these games sells. They have so many flaws that i can't get to think why you should ever buy them graphic whores!!

[/antiFanboyAndGraphicWhoreShield ]

Top Bottom