• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

TimeKillr

So this pisses me off.. I get the game today and my DSi is nowhere to be found :(

Hopefully it's still at work, buried under the rest of the crap I have on my desk...

True ending get! What a brilliant game. (warning: slight Ever17 spoilers)
Especially with this ending, you can really tell it's from the writer behind Ever17. So many similarities in how the situation is set up. Still, even though Ever17 pulled a more subversive twist, I think I prefer 999 because of the characters - the Junpei-Akane connection makes the ending much more personal. Great use of the dual screens to reflect the dual time periods. That last puzzle was brilliant. Sudoku: it saves lives.

Kotaro Uchikoshi... I'll have to keep my eye on whatever he does next.

Tuesday said:
I'm afraid that would be
unaxeeptable

Sorry about "lead". :( I can't say anything else that doesn't just sound like an excuse, so...yeah. I suppose with how much the game narrative changes tense, some errors like that were inevitable.

Don't worry about it. I can forgive only 7 typos in this amount of text. (Yes, I kept count. Yes, I am a sad person.) I just commented on "lead" because it happened several times, twice in close succession.

Axtually,
I have to strongly commend you on the translation. A lot of commercial VN translations I've read have been problematic (Hirameki's Ever17, MangaGamer's Higurashi), so it's refreshing to read one so lovingly crafted and flavorful as this one. I hope you guys do more in the future.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
So how many endings do you need to get to get the final one?

You have to get one specific ending to get the true ending
But you should see them all! :D

hosannainexcelsis said:
True ending get! What a brilliant game. (warning: slight Ever17 spoilers)
Especially with this ending, you can really tell it's from the writer behind Ever17. So many similarities in how the situation is set up. Still, even though Ever17 pulled a more subversive twist, I think I prefer 999 because of the characters - the Junpei-Akane connection makes the ending much more personal. Great use of the dual screens to reflect the dual time periods. That last puzzle was brilliant. Sudoku: it saves lives.

Kotaro Uchikoshi... I'll have to keep my eye on whatever he does next.

Don't worry about it. I can forgive only 7 typos in this amount of text. (Yes, I kept count. Yes, I am a sad person.) I just commented on "lead" because it happened several times, twice in close succession.

Axtually,
I have to strongly commend you on the translation. A lot of commercial VN translations I've read have been problematic (Hirameki's Ever17, MangaGamer's Higurashi), so it's refreshing to read one so lovingly crafted and flavorful as this one. I hope you guys do more in the future.

I'm super stoked that you like it so much :D! I totally agree with you about
the last puzzle ;)

Awesome game and ending indeed ;D

And thank you for the kind words about the localization! Tuesday did an amazing job editing it ;)

I hope we can see more VNs in the future too! :)

totowhoa

Banned
Didn't care for the demo online, but I'm still watching this game. Love point-and-clicks, but the opening demo just put me off. Maybe it's been too long since I played a game like this, but there was just too much random shit you had to check to solve it.
The bed pillow, really?
I had to gamefaqs the damn demo :(

Ferrio

Banned
Geez the June+Junpei dialogue at the elevator if you pick the "in the elevator with a boy" option..... you guys ran with that one

kiryogi

Banned
Ferrio said:
Geez the June+Junpei dialogue at the elevator if you pick the "in the elevator with a boy" option..... you guys ran with that one
Yeah I just did that earlier today. Oh man, I was cracking up hard. Some of the innuendos you guys pull off is too good.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
kiryogi said:
Yeah I just did that earlier today. Oh man, I was cracking up hard. Some of the innuendos you guys pull off is too good.

Yeah, that section was very laugh out loud worthy :lol

Ryn

This is definitely the first time in a long while that I've been completely sucked into a DS game. I can't wait to leave work and play some more! Stayed up til 2am last night (whoops!) playing it. Excellent everything so far.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
PhoenixSFT said:
Just picked this up because I heard so many good things on this thread, it'll make for an interesting Thanksgiving!

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving to me :D!

Ryn said:
This is definitely the first time in a long while that I've been completely sucked into a DS game. I can't wait to leave work and play some more! Stayed up til 2am last night (whoops!) playing it. Excellent everything so far.

Yeah, I love how it always leaves you wanting more! I definitely know what you mean ;) Awesome stuff!

Ferrio

Banned
Just beat it again, got ending 7. So i've gotton endings 4 and 7... and still no idea how to get the true ending. Oh well time to pick different doors.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
Just beat it again, got ending 7. So i've gotton endings 4 and 7... and still no idea how to get the true ending. Oh well time to pick different doors.

*Blinks* Ending 7? How did you find the
ultimate secret ending!? :D
Haha jk

There are only
6 endings, so I'm guessing you meant 6 :)

Ryn

ACK!
I just sank when I got the ending where Clover axe's me, holy shit, not cool :[ . Not the happy ending I was trying to get lol. Looks like another go through for me! ....fucking pink haired bitch. *twitch*

Ferrio

Banned
Ryn said:
ACK!
I just sank when I got the ending where Clover axe's me, holy shit, not cool :[ . Not the happy ending I was trying to get lol. Looks like another go through for me! ....fucking pink haired bitch. *twitch*

I just got that one.
Great... I'm going to have to look up how to get the true end. I've done all the rooms now except 9. I think the first ending I got was close to the true
Pinned ace for the murder, messed with the watch
, not sure what I'd do different though.

Anyone give me some hints here? I wouldn't mind trying tons of possibilities if there was an option to skip the rooms i've solved before.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
I just got that one.
Great... I'm going to have to look up how to get the true end. I've done all the rooms now except 9. I think the first ending I got was close to the true
Pinned ace for the murder, messed with the watch
, not sure what I'd do different though.

Anyone give me some hints here? I wouldn't mind trying tons of possibilities if there was an option to skip the rooms i've solved before.

Once you've seen the
Safe/Zero's letter ending, which is #4 I believe, then re-do ending #2 the coffin ending and you can progress to the true ending ;)

Ferrio

Banned
Akselziys said:
Once you've seen the
Safe/Zero's letter ending, which is #4 I believe, then re-do ending #2 the coffin ending and you can progress to the true ending ;)

I never got #2 though. Looking it up, i came so close except i picked a different door at the final choice.... which led to submarine.

Ferrio

Banned
Just finished the true ending... wow

I must say I was really happy with the puzzles
since I really hate sodoku, and I was glad it wasn't used in any of the room escapes. Least that's what I would of said if I hadn't beaten the game. So close..

This game really needs more exposure. This is definitely a phoenix wright material.

jgkspsx

I only wish the text speed were faster. I like the paced/conversational reveal of text, but on the other hand I read at least four times faster than the text speed.

_PsiFire_

My local GameStop received their shipment on Monday so I picked it up (haven't played yet - today I will).

They also started 3DS pre-orders on Monday and I was the first. :D

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
_PsiFire_ said:
My local GameStop received their shipment on Monday so I picked it up (haven't played yet - today I will).

They also started 3DS pre-orders on Monday and I was the first. :D

Can't wait for you to play! :D

Ferrio said:
Just finished the true ending... wow

I must say I was really happy with
the puzzles since I really hate sodoku, and I was glad it wasn't used in any of the room escapes.
Least that's what I would of said if I hadn't beaten the game. So close..

This game really needs more exposure. This is definitely a phoenix wright material.

Might want to spoiler tag a section of that to be safe :)

But thank you for the accolades! I hope more and more people can enjoy it too! :D

Belisarius

Neo Member
jgkspsx said:
I only wish the text speed were faster. I like the paced/conversational reveal of text, but on the other hand I read at least four times faster than the text speed.
I know what you mean. As an editor, I really like being able to pace the text reveal for dramatic impact, but as a gamer, I read really fast, and it's frustrating to wait for the text to show up. I wish games with lots of text just had a little dial in the settings that would let you fine-tune the speed at which text was displayed.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I HAVE FOUND THE WHITE WHALE

tjabM.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Ending type spoilers.

Through out the game I really thought
Lotus was going to end up being Alice. I almost get the feeling that might of been the original intent but they scrapped it. I mean her backstory is the only one that seems to been just kinda thrown in. Making her alice would of tied the alice story nicely (instead of just throwing her as a hitchhiker) and given lotus more of a reason to be on the ship.

Mollymauk

I gotta hand it to Amazon. Seattle was nearly entirely shutdown yesterday, and they still delivered one-day shipping through the snowpocalypse. :D

Playing 999 over Thanksgiving. Man, the reason I'm loving 999 compared to other visual novels is the way they handled the replay value.

Going to pick up a copy today. Can't wait to start playing this. :D

Edit: Bought my copy. I'm really enjoying the characters and story so far. The random quotes while escaping from rooms are hilarious. Taking a break while my DS charges.

Ryn

Just got my second ending
Last one..submarine ending
. I swear I feel like I'm still missing a bunch of important story details
got the axe from clover the first time around
. -sigh-

Round 3 here we go!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Oops, I double checked my correspondences, and it seems I misquoted a plot point...

In response to the killer in the Submarine ending, I originally said that it was insinuated to be "Cap", but I misquoted. My apologies! Actually what was said:

Junpei, Seven, and Lotus do see "Clover/Santa/Ace" knocked out on the grand stairscase,
but if you can read very closely, you can tell that Seven "only took Clover's pulse".

Which means "Santa and Ace still have the possibility of being alive".

And besides, after Lotus was killed, the 8 bracelet was taken from her
left wrist.

That means by obtaining the 8 bracelets, the person who benefits from
that number has a chance to be the culprit.

In regards to Ace, he already killed Nijisaki, so from there you can tell that
he has the 9 bracelet as well.

1+9=10 → 1+0=1

If you add Lotus's bracelet (8), then it becomes (9)
and he can escape out of door 【9】.

So from that evidence, Ace has the highest chance of being the culprit.

Hopefully that clears things up! Sorry for the confusion!

Ryn

Just got ending #5...so I only have 1, 2, and 4 left. Man,
I thought I had it with the last runthrough, they found the two 9 doors! Then going back, and as soon as people started splitting up it sank in that I'm losing Junpei...again. Shanked by a mysterious knife. =(.

I played my friend's copy for about an hour and I'm curious. It's kind of slow though. Also, isn't it a lie to say 9 Persons
seeing as how there are only 8 of them?

Belisarius

Neo Member
Cow Mengde said:
I played my friend's copy for about an hour and I'm curious. It's kind of slow though. Also, isn't it a lie to say 9 Persons
seeing as how there are only 8 of them?
Well,
there are 9 of them to begin with. Also, the number 9 and the things you can do with it are kind of a...I think motif is the word? A motif or whatever throughout the game
. Also, "9 Hours, 8 Persons, 9 Doors" is kind of a crappy title. :/ I pushed to call the game "Doors on a Boat", but sadly that didn't fly with management.

Ryn

edit: nvm. I think I'm on track to getting all the endings.
safe and true left I'm assuming (slots 1 and 4)

Tuesday said:
"9 Hours, 8 Persons, 9 Doors" is kind of a crappy title. :/ I pushed to call the game "Doors on a Boat", but sadly that didn't fly with management.

Better than the orginal "EXTREME ESCAPE!"

This game took a few days to really grab me, but once it did, it didn't let go. Stayed up all night last night trying to accomplish the true ending, then stayed up 'til 3:30 AM tonight to finish the game off. I've seen all the endings except for ending #5. The plot really blew me away, though. Fantastic game.

At first, when they started talking about tapping into the future's morphogenic field, I thought they were insinuating that the "I" speaking was I, as in the player. If that was the case, I think my mind would have been blown even further, as it would have been a fantastically cool way to incorporate the idea that Junpei has the knowledge of the past branches because you're personally giving him the information through the morphogenic field. Maybe I can create my own game based on that similar premise. XD

Top Bottom