• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Roto13

Finally managed to find a copy. (For those in Toronto, Game Centre on Yonge near Bloor carries it. If they're out, let them know you want it and they'll probably order it for you.) I've played three times so far and gotten two different endings. My feelings about this game are a little mixed, but mostly positive. I'm going to save final judgement for when I get the last ending.

LiK

Roto13 said:
Finally managed to find a copy. (For those in Toronto, Game Centre on Yonge near Bloor carries it. If they're out, let them know you want it and they'll probably order it for you.) I've played three times so far and gotten two different endings. My feelings about this game are a little mixed, but mostly positive. I'm going to save final judgement for when I get the last ending.
My man.

Hylian7

Finished it the third time. Spoiler box of the endings.

I found Clover, Ace, and Santa dead in the central staircase. I found June dying in the room with submarine. Then Junpei went back and found Seven and Lotus dead. The Junpei went to the submarine, and was stabbed and thrown into the water, it didn't show who did it. Something different happened this time though I got credits, followed by "The end...or is it?"

I heard there was one ending you needed to get before you could see the true ending, was this it?

Hylian7

Volcynika said:
To your last question, no.
Well these were the other two I got, were either of them it?

Clover killed Santa, June, and Seven by pushing them through door #2, then killed Junpei with the axe. The other one was where I found Lotus dead and then someone stabbed Junpei.

LiK

Volcynika said:
I may have forgotten! Hm. It's better if he used the images for each ending to describe them, rather than the events. :lol

nope, you're right. i just enjoy people wondering which is the Normal ending to get to the True ending, hehe.

Hylian7

Volcynika said:
I may have forgotten! Hm. It's better if he used the images for each ending to describe them, rather than the events. :lol
The images then? Below is what I have.

The knife, the axe, the submarine.

Hylian7

Fourth time done, but I got the same ending as last time. It sounds like I really need to figure out which choices matter. I have a guess at what I should go for next time.

I'm supposed to get the 4-leaf clover bookmark from Santa and go through the door with the operating room with Clover and give her the bookmark. Will that get me something different? The main thing I did this time was I went through door #3 first in the room with all the hospital beds. I expected that to change a lot (maybe even Snake dying or not, but I guess he dies every time) but it didn't. Did I get this ending again simply because I went through door #2 with Seven and Lotus?

Durante

Akselziys said:
The true ending also requires several key dialogue choices that will almost certainly require a FAQ for any given player.
Pah! All you need is a bit of dedication and an organized approach. Young'uns these days...

Nice review though, I almost always like the stuff posted at RPGfan.

Hylian7 said:
I'm supposed to get the 4-leaf clover bookmark from Santa and go through the door with the operating room with Clover and give her the bookmark. Will that get me something different? The main thing I did this time was I went through door #3 first in the room with all the hospital beds. I expected that to change a lot (maybe even Snake dying or not, but I guess he dies every time) but it didn't. Did I get this ending again simply because I went through door #2 with Seven and Lotus?
Both your approach and suspicions almost perfectly mirror mine at that point. :lol
A hint: disregard
Clover
for now, first you need to do something different.

Hylian7

Durante said:
Both your approach and suspicions almost perfectly mirror mine at that point. :lol
A hint: disregard
Clover
for now, first you need to do something different.
Perhaps that takes me back to my original suspicion after my first playthrough:
June/Akane/Kanny does something fucked up at some point. She always creeped me out, with her obvious advances on Junpei despite not having seen him in years, and given the current circumstances. The resulting conversation from saying that Junpei thought she was nervous about being alone in the elevator with a boy was funny, yet makes her seem even more creepy because probably in the back of her mind she was actually serious in a sexual sense.....at a time like this. I have a feeling that there's some ending where she's not the innocent childhood friend Junpei thinks she is.

Also, regarding that character you mentioned,

On my first playthrough, I gave her the bookmark to comfort her in the operating room. Did that keep me from getting the "axe" ending that time I wonder, or does that just prevent that ending in general? I just thought maybe this time going through door 3 first AND taking the bookmark might do something.

LiK

Hylian7 said:
Perhaps that takes me back to my original suspicion after my first playthrough:
June/Akane/Kanny does something fucked up at some point. She always creeped me out, with her obvious advances on Junpei despite not having seen him in years, and given the current circumstances. The resulting conversation from saying that Junpei thought she was nervous about being alone in the elevator with a boy was funny, yet makes her seem even more creepy because probably in the back of her mind she was actually serious in a sexual sense.....at a time like this. I have a feeling that there's some ending where she's not the innocent childhood friend Junpei thinks she is.

hohohohoho

Takuhi

Hylian7 said:
On my first playthrough, I gave her the bookmark to comfort her in the operating room. Did that keep me from getting the "axe" ending that time I wonder, or does that just prevent that ending in general? I just thought maybe this time going through door 3 first AND taking the bookmark might do something.

Taking the bookmark from Santa and giving it to Clover is definitely part of the right path. You're on the right track!

I got my first ending!

Everyone was apparently stabbed to death as I made it to a submarine.....no door number 9 for me!
:lol

Perhaps
Zero is one of the kidnapped kids from 9 years ago?
Anyway, now for my second play through!

ASIS

LiK said:
nope, you're right. i just enjoy people wondering which is the Normal ending to get to the True ending, hehe.
Meh I'm using a guide so I know how to get that.
I wouldn't have done that but I heard there was a very crappy ending and I REALLY don't want to get that. So far I'm just using the guide to know which doors to pick, so my experience is not ruined at all.

Hylian7

Nintendo-4Life said:
I wouldn't have done that but I heard there was a very crappy ending and I REALLY don't want to get that. So far I'm just using the guide to know which doors to pick, so my experience is not ruined at all.
I'm curious, which one is the crappy one. Just say what the image you see is for the ending, not the description in case I haven't gotten this one yet.

LiK

Nintendo-4Life said:
Even the so-called crappy endings reveal info you don't see in the normal or good endings. Why? Because you'll completely bypass certain rooms and puzzles that you'll only come across for that specific ending. Not a bad idea to get all the bad endings first before going for the true ending, imo. This is why I tell everyone to get all the endings before going for the True ending. It's not a waste of time at all. It only makes the True ending more awesome. But play however you want.

Apenheul

LiK said:
Even the so-called crappy endings reveal info you don't see in the normal or good endings. Why? Because you'll completely bypass certain rooms and puzzles that you'll only come across for that specific ending. Not a bad idea to get all the bad endings first before going for the true ending, imo. This is why I tell everyone to get all the endings before going for the True ending. It's not a waste of time at all. It only makes the True ending more awesome. But play however you want.

My backwards intuition resulted into getting all bad endings before the good ones, even though I was consciously trying to make the right decisions.

LiK

Apenheul said:
My backwards intuition resulted into getting all bad endings before the good ones, even though I was consciously trying to make the right decisions.
I think we all did. But I'm glad I did.

gray_fox224 said:
Is this game similar to Hotel Dusk?
They're similar in the sense that they are both text adventures. Their tone is quite different though. (999 is a lot more intense.)

I am a huge fan of both games personally. If you like Hotel Dusk, and text adventures in general, this should be right up your alley.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
gray_fox224 said:
Is this game similar to Hotel Dusk?
In this sense that it is a mystery and it is heavy on story, yes. However, Hotel Dusk was more noir style, while this has just a creepy, anime style. I actually didn't finish Hotel Dusk, but in that game you would actually go places (as in, you had to travel). In 999, the game just goes places and you don't move. The only time you actually play is when you have to input what door you want to go in and if you want to talk to someone, and then the major gameplay are rooms that are essentially big puzzles.

It's very good, and I have a feeling you would like it if you liked Hotel Dusk. They are both story heavy and well written.

Just buy it. :D

Ok, I'm doing my second play through now and I'm skipping all of the text which just seems....wrong to me.

I don’t know, even though I’ve read it all I feel like I’m missing stuff. Maybe some stuff I should remember?

So, did you guys skip all the text on repeat play throughs? Or should I stop and actually re-read some of it?

Tricky I Shadow said:
Ok, I'm doing my second play through now and I'm skipping all of the text which just seems....wrong to me.

I don’t know, even though I’ve read it all I feel like I’m missing stuff. Maybe some stuff I should remember?

So, did you guys skip all the text on repeat play throughs? Or should I stop and actually re-read some of it?
Unless there is something you really want to read through again, skipping is fine.

You can't skip past any new text so you don't have to worry about that. Plus, the characters recap past events a lot when they are relative to the scene.

Gunloc said:
Unless there is something you really want to read through again, skipping is fine.

You can't skip past any new text so you don't have to worry about that. Plus, the characters recap past events a lot when they are relative to the scene.

Sweet! Skipping all the text I’ve already read it is then!

I asked my mom to get me this for Christmas. It was either that or Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, and I figured a game called 999 would be harder to mess up. The clerk at the Gamestop sold her a used DS Lite instead, wtf. When I went to return the DS Lite, I asked if they had any copies on hand. They didn't, and the guy working there hadn't even heard of it. This game!

But I'm going to ask around some stores here, and failing that, just buy it off Amazon tomorrow. Hope it's as good as everyone says!

ok, now "finished it"

spoilers about the ending (the first icon ending
true ending
)
ok, so, it is an ontological paradox? assuming Seven was helping Santa/Aoi and Akane, basically it went like this: Akane made a link with Junpei nine years in the future so he would help her survive in the past. But she was already alive in the future because he was going to save her, even if he hasn't done it yet. At the same time, every game you played was Akane in the past viewing a different future to ensure Junpei would save her; that's why you needed to do the combination ending before you could progress further in the coffin ending.

At least that's what I got from it. The true ending wraps everything up nicely except for Lotus' story. I don't know if it is possible to get the true ending without doing all the other ones, but if you did, you'd be lost as to why Lotus was there in the first place. One of the paths reveals that Lotus is the mother of one of the children from the experiment 9 years ago, and whenever they showed images from the past, you could see which child was her daughter (hair color and all that).

Really great game. Best DS game this year, I'd say. If I didn't vote already, I'll throw this in the top 10 gaf thread.

also, surprisingly long. The puzzles are mostly short (thankfully! replaying them was mostly painless because I got to be a pro at it) but the novel parts are long. Again, thankfully I could skip the text in later playthroughs, but I was still amazed by how much additional story there was with each new path you took.

edit: one thing that made me feel stupid was that I didn't realize the significance of the time alloted to reach the DEAD until the final playthough. Something clicked and I was like "wait, 81 seconds...8+1=9...I'm dumb for not seeing this sooner."

Linkzg said:
edit: one thing that made me feel stupid was that I didn't realize the significance of the time alloted to reach the DEAD until the final playthough. Something clicked and I was like "wait, 81 seconds...8+1=9...I'm dumb for not seeing this sooner."
9 is also the square root of 81.

There's nines everywhere.

Hylian7

Alright, I have a theory about who Zero is. I'm posting this here now to see if I was right later when I truly finish the game. I've gotten three endings so far, the
knife
axe
, and
submarine
in that order.

I think Lotus's daughter Nona is Zero, it makes perfect sense. After the submarine ending, the killer obviously was none of the players, so it had to be someone else. That person was probably Lotus's daughter Nona. First of all, notice how when Lotus talked about her daughters, she only talked about Nona by name, but not the other one. It was probably one of the ones that Seven mentioned in his earlier story, but we don't know which one. Now let's talk about Nona's name, this one was what really made it clear to me.

Nona

Nonary

Nonary = 9

Hence the obsession with the number 9.

It's also highly possible that Nona/Zero killed Snake, instead of Seven and Santa like Clover said in the Axe ending. Now since Zero obviously made the bracelets, it is possible that that he could make more than one, or had a special bracelet that could open any door he wanted without fear of an explsion. If this is the case, then Zero probably opened door #3 and pushed Snake in.

Also, there is one inconsistency that really bothers me in this game. They seem to imply that only the bracelets are needed to open the doors, yet they're placing their hands on the scanners. How is the scanner picking up the bracelet? This has confused me the whole game, and I keep thinking "That won't work" every time someone mentions something involving someone else's bracelet.

Hylian7 said:
Also, there is one inconsistency that really bothers me in this game. They seem to imply that only the bracelets are needed to open the doors, yet they're placing their hands on the scanners. How is the scanner picking up the bracelet? This has confused me the whole game, and I keep thinking "That won't work" every time someone mentions something involving someone else's bracelet.
This is explained in the game.

Spoiler, if you want to know the answer:
Placing your hand on the scanner isn't a requirement. The bracelet just needs to be near the scanner to be picked up.

Hylian7

Gunloc said:
This is explained in the game.

Spoiler, if you want to know the answer:
Wow, they really covered everything then. I'll wait to find out, I had to not focus on it when I deleted the spoiler tag from this quote. I have a question about this playthrough I'm starting, trying to avoid a previous ending. Here is my plan, tell me if I should do something different or not.

Go into door #4, take the clover bookmark from Santa, go through door #8 (I think, whichever one has the operating room behind it). Give the bookmark to Clover to comfort her. Then go through door #1, a mistake I made on the first playthrough. On the Axe ending, this was where Clover picked up the 0 bracelet and axe, if she's calmed down, she won't do that, thus, different ending. Will this just have me staring another ending I've gotten before in the face?

Mzo

It's great how everyone asks the same questions that have been answered over and over again in the course of the thread.

Hylian7 said:
Wow, they really covered everything then. I'll wait to find out, I had to not focus on it when I deleted the spoiler tag from this quote. I have a question about this playthrough I'm starting, trying to avoid a previous ending. Here is my plan, tell me if I should do something different or not.

Go into door #4, take the clover bookmark from Santa, go through door #8 (I think, whichever one has the operating room behind it). Give the bookmark to Clover to comfort her. Then go through door #1, a mistake I made on the first playthrough. On the Axe ending, this was where Clover picked up the 0 bracelet and axe, if she's calmed down, she won't do that, thus, different ending. Will this just have me staring another ending I've gotten before in the face?

Doors
4, 8 & 1
will get you an ending you've already seen. Though going from your description, you probably meant doors
4, 7 & 1
, which will lead you to a new ending.
There are some text requirements too.
But I wouldn't suggest going that way yet.

How much do you know about how the endings work? If you're trying to stay completely in the dark, I won't say anything else. But if you want your remaining play throughs to be the most efficient, there is a suggestion I could make.

Hylian7

Gunloc said:
Doors
4, 8 & 1
will get you an ending you've already seen. Though going from your description, you probably meant doors
4, 7 & 1
, which will lead you to a new ending.
There are some text requirements too.
But I wouldn't suggest going that way yet.

How much do you know about how the endings work? If you're trying to stay completely in the dark, I won't say anything else. But if you want your remaining play throughs to be the most efficient, there is a suggestion I could make.
Trying to stay in the dark, only trying to find out what gets me something different, doesn't matter what. I did in fact mean doors
4, 7, and 1
so that is the plan I will stick with.

Hylian7

Okay, really important question here about which of the choices will not get me an ending I got before. I'll speak of it in the spoiler box.

I just went through door #1 and Ace came back in, got him to leave, then asked Clover about the experiments, then she started talking about Snake's death. Then she asked who I think did it? What should I say here to avoid getting the axe ending again? I'm torn between telling the obvious answer and just telling a bullshit answer. If I tell the (likely) correct answer, then she might go batshit insane again and kill those two, June, and Junpei. There's also a possibility that she may somehow either forgive them or only kill them and no one else. On the other hand, if I give the bullshit answer, she may kill Junpei for being wrong later, or she could believe it and kill the wrong people, or just forgive them and do nothing. I'm so incredibly torn here.

Hylian7 said:
Okay, really important question here about which of the choices will not get me an ending I got before. I'll speak of it in the spoiler box.

I just went through door #1 and Ace came back in, got him to leave, then asked Clover about the experiments, then she started talking about Snake's death. Then she asked who I think did it? What should I say here to avoid getting the axe ending again? I'm torn between telling the obvious answer and just telling a bullshit answer. If I tell the (likely) correct answer, then she might go batshit insane again and kill those two, June, and Junpei. There's also a possibility that she may somehow either forgive them or only kill them and no one else. On the other hand, if I give the bullshit answer, she may kill Junpei for being wrong later, or she could believe it and kill the wrong people, or just forgive them and do nothing. I'm so incredibly torn here.
That answer actually doesn't effect the ending. I'd save before choosing if you want to be safe, but the important discussion comes later on in door 1. Make sure you examine EVERYTHING before completing the room(s). There is a trigger than is essential to getting a new ending on this path if you have fulfilled the previous requirements.

You'll know if you found the trigger soon after completing door 1.

Hylian7

Gunloc said:
That answer actually doesn't effect the ending. I'd save before choosing if you want to be safe, but the important discussion comes later on in door 1. Make sure you examine EVERYTHING before completing the room(s). There is a trigger than is essential to getting a new ending on this path if you have fulfilled the previous requirements.

You'll know if you found the trigger soon after completing door 1.
Whatever the trigger is, I missed it. I got the axe ending again. What should I be looking for? I saved at the point where Clover asked me who I thought did it. Can I salvage this playthrough from there?

Hylian7 said:
Whatever the trigger is, I missed it. I got the axe ending again. What should I be looking for? I saved at the point where Clover asked me who I thought did it. Can I salvage this playthrough from there?
Did you check the keyboard & monitors in the Captain's Quarters? Once Z E R O appears on the screens, make sure to check them again and that should trigger a conversation between Junpei & Clover.

But you need to have fulfilled the previous requirements too. I'll post them below.

Previous Requirements:
-Rooms 4, 7 & 1
-[Door 4]Take the bookmark from Santa
-[Door 4]Listen to the Ice-9 Explaination
-[Door 7]Discuss Ice-9 with Seven
-[Door 7]Give Clover the bookmark
-[Door 1]Check the keyboard & monitors in the Captain's Quarters
-[Door 1]Trigger the Z E R O monitor conversation with Clover

Hylian7

Gunloc said:
Did you check the keyboard & monitors in the Captain's Quarters? Once Z E R O appears on the screens, make sure to check them again and that should trigger a conversation between Junpei & Clover.

But you need to have fulfilled the previous requirements too. I'll post them below.

Previous Requirements:
-Rooms 4, 7 & 1
-[Door 4]Take the bookmark from Santa
-[Door 4]Listen to the Ice-9 Explaination
-[Door 7]Discuss Ice-9 with Seven
-[Door 7]Give Clover the bookmark
-[Door 1]Check the keyboard & monitors in the Captain's Quarters
-[Door 1]Trigger the Z E R O monitor conversation with Clover
I don't remember if I discussed Ice-9 with Seven or not. I know for sure I was missing the ZERO monitor conversation though. I'll try it and if it fails, I'll play through again and make sure to get the Ice-9 conversation with Seven.

Also, I think this thread needs a rename to "999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors |OT| Do you speak black box?"

Top Bottom