• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Hylian7 said:
I don't remember if I discussed Ice-9 with Seven or not. I know for sure I was missing the ZERO monitor conversation though. I'll try it and if it fails, I'll play through again and make sure to get the Ice-9 conversation with Seven.

Also, I think this thread needs a rename to "999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors |OT| Do you speak black box?"
I'm not sure the Z E R O conversation will even trigger if you've missed the Ice-9/All-Ice conversation with Seven. So if nothing happens when you re-check the monitors after they switch over to Z E R O, it most likely means you missed a past required conversation.

Hylian7

Gunloc said:
I'm not sure the Z E R O conversation will even trigger if you've missed the Ice-9/All-Ice conversation with Seven. So if nothing happens when you re-check the monitors after they switch over to Z E R O, it most likely means you missed a past required conversation.
I guess I did, because I got the ZERO conversation. I can't wait to shit bricks at this ending that awaits.

.....or not. I got the axe ending again. I guess I need to make sure I do all that stuff this time.

This time instead of going through door 8 I
persisted and went through door 3. How Junpei did it was clever, but he was willing to sacrifice more lives (they didn’t know they’d meet again) just so he could be with June?
What a dick! :lol

I still can’t believe how absorbed I am even though this is my second play through. With every new bit of text I come across I can’t help but smile. But so far I’ve got pretty much no new info. I hope that changes really soon for me...

Hylian7 said:
Also, I think this thread needs a rename to "999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors |OT| Do you speak black box?"

YES! :lol

Hylian7

Tricky I Shadow said:
This time instead of going through door 8 I
persisted and went through door 3. How Junpei did it was clever, but he was willing to sacrifice more lives (they didn’t know they’d meet again) just so he could be with June?
What a dick! :lol

I still can’t believe how absorbed I am even though this is my second play through. With every new bit of text I come across I can’t help but smile. But so far I’ve got pretty much no new info. I hope that changes really soon for me...

YES! :lol
I did that first thing you mentioned on one playthrough. I'm curious how it affects the ending, because that playthrough, I got one I had already seen:
The submarine

I finished it again last night and got a new ending:
The Coffin
. spoiler box of my theories below.

I think it's pretty damn obvious who is in the coffin, it's Snake I bet. I don't know why he's in there, but I bet it's Snake. After all, remember that Allice/Alice was supposed to be beyond the library, not in the chapel, unless she was moved, which I highly doubt. I'm assuming this is the ending you need to get before the true ending, judging by the "To be continued..." I'd like to go for the other ending I'm missing first, so I'm going to take a different door path this time to see if I can get the missing ending. When I'm ready to pursue the true ending though, is there something else I need to do to get the code for the coffin? Or will it just automatically fall into my hands now that I've seen the Coffin ending. Also, I knew that damn gun would be trouble at some point, I saw it on my first run, but nobody took it. Santa did turn out to be a dick, and I'm not too surprised by that, but it was still crazy seeing him do that. Also, why did Clover still take the 0 bracelet from the room (it said her pockets were too stuffed to just be a note, so it's probably the 0 bracelet)?

Hylian7 said:
I did that first thing you mentioned on one playthrough. I'm curious how it affects the ending, because that playthrough, I got one I had already seen:
The submarine

That's the ending I've already got, so I hope I do something differently later on so it's not the same again. I wonder if it's possible to determine your own ending logically?

Damn, I just finished my 2nd playthrough and got the
Axe ending

My 1st playthrough I got the
knife ending
Im so tempted to find out what I'm doing wrong but dont wanna accidentally get myself spoiled in the process. Hope this 3rd time around I dont get a bad ending.

Hylian7

Well, my fifth ending is down. The image I got for that one was
the open safe with the paper in it
. Wow, what a crazy ending!

Theory time! (And a question or two)

Okay, I'm starting to back off on my previous theories about June, but who knows at this point. I was sort of right about Ace though, as he definitely killed Junpei and Lotus in the knife ending and probably killed Lotus in the axe ending. I was exactly right about who was in the chapel coffin. As for who Zero was, I think that's fairly obvious: Santa. I knew there was something strange about him and that was it. I don't know if this is explained, but I think I know why Santa (if he is Zero) made his bracelet number 3, instead of something else. It's because of the body in door #1. He made it where he wouldn't go through door #1. Why was he the first person to see if Junpei cheated during the drawing? Because he was worried about going through door #1, because he wasn't sure if he could keep his reaction when in there. Of course, this theory still doesn't explain his behavior during the coffin ending, which keeps me guessing still.

Also, a few questions. To get the true ending, should I just do what I did for the coffin ending again and it will suddenly give me the coffin's code, or is it something different than any of the other endings? Don't tell me what it is if it's something different, just if it is or not.

Hylian7

devastatorprime said:
Damn, I just finished my 2nd playthrough and got the
Axe ending

My 1st playthrough I got the
knife ending
Im so tempted to find out what I'm doing wrong but dont wanna accidentally get myself spoiled in the process. Hope this 3rd time around I dont get a bad ending.
Those were my first two endings, in that order.

That axe ending really freaked the shit out of me. Did you notice the knife ending was sort of explained though through the axe ending?

Hylian7 said:
Also, a few questions. To get the true ending, should I just do what I did for the coffin ending again and it will suddenly give me the coffin's code, or is it something different than any of the other endings? Don't tell me what it is if it's something different, just if it is or not.
The Safe Ending, which you just got, is required for the True Ending. So now, by following the exact same steps you took to get the Coffin Ending, it will unlock the True Ending.

Things are about to get wild, so enjoy. :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tricky I Shadow said:
"....this could very well become our medium’s Citizen Kane." :D

Haha, definitely made of win :D

On another note, I'm excited to see what kind of responses Chunsoft provides for all the questions that got asked ;)

And don't forget to vote in the 999 US Character Poll on the official site! Voting ends 1/9/11 :)

http://www.aksysgames.com/999

Hylian7 said:
Those were my first two endings, in that order.

That axe ending really freaked the shit out of me. Did you notice the knife ending was sort of explained though through the axe ending?

Oh man I didnt even think about it till I read your post.

Your referring to how Ace wanted to show Lotus something and said he would show Junpei as well right? If so then that means its Ace who killed Lotus and Junpei in the knife ending.

If this is the case then just wow, this game is so amazing.

Lard

Banned
First playthrough done. I got a bad ending. :(

Was stabbed by unknown assailant

I'm assuming, in general terms, that the endings are based on which doors we go through at which times? (No spoilers please!)

Ferrio

Banned
Lard said:

I'm assuming, in general terms, that the endings are based on which doors we go through at which times? (No spoilers please!)

For the most part, some decisions come into play as well for the real ending. Also you *must* complete a certain ending to get the true ending.

Lard

Banned
Yeah, I'd heard that.

I just meant in terms of getting all of the endings.

So far, I have managed to remain spoiler free, so I'm trying to ask about stuff in general terms.

Fantastical said:
Yeah, but that already happened, and it was called Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
HYPERBOLE WAR!!

You so crazy.

By the way, what is the average length for a playthrough? I got this for Christmas, but I've been waiting until I finish some other games before I start.

Ferrio

Banned
Lard said:
Yeah, I'd heard that.

I just meant in terms of getting all of the endings.

So far, I have managed to remain spoiler free, so I'm trying to ask about stuff in general terms.

There's also a spoiler free diagram posted in this thread, very helpful if your're not finding what's needed to be done.

Hylian7

Lard said:

Which picture did you get that replaced one of the 6 ?'s at the top of the save screen?

Hylian7

Finished it with the True ending, and got the other five as well.

Wow, just fucking wow,
I will never think of a game with multiple endings the same way again.

DS game of the year for sure, and best story I have ever seen in a video game.

I have a few questions.

At the end, before the credits, Junpei said "There never really was a detonator at all.", if this is true, then why did the 9th Man and the guy dressed as Snake (I forget his name) both die by internal explosion? Was Alice in building Q the whole time, even 9 years ago? Is it actually implied in the submarine ending that Ace stabbed everyone and faked his own death so Junpei wouldn't notice? Why was there a submarine there in the first place if they weren't actually on a ship?

Well done Chunsoft, well done. You've created something that everyone should play and set a new standard for video game storylines.

Rokam

I've started typing a review for this game multiple times, but honestly I don't think I can do it justice. :lol Bravo! This is even after I got the
knife
ending twice in a row. Now I've completed all endings and I must say one hell of a great story and I'm glad I did all the other endings before the true one.

LiK

Rokam said:
I've started typing a review for this game multiple times, but honestly I don't think I can do it justice. :lol Bravo! This is even after I got the
knife
ending twice in a row. Now I've completed all endings and I must say one hell of a great story and I'm glad I did all the other endings before the true one.
Hell yea. :D

Really sorry if this has been asked before; is this game in the same type of genre to the Phoenix Wright series as all? I loved those games and really loved that type of text adventure. Thinking of giving this a go for my morning Tube commute and have cash left over from Christmas.
Thanks in advance

LiK

Brewster's Wallet said:
Really sorry if this has been asked before; is this game in the same type of genre to the Phoenix Wright series as all? I loved those games and really loved that type of text adventure. Thinking of giving this a go for my morning Tube commute and have cash left over from Christmas.
Thanks in advance
Yes, very similar. Similar to certain aspects of Hotel Dusk as well. The story is much darker tho but if you enjoyed the AA games, you will feel right at home.

taoofjord

I was really pumped for this game thanks to this thread but I finally got to play it last night and I'm left scratching my head. The writing in this is not exceptional, or even very good. It's amateurish and filled to the brim with extraneous details. To those interested in grabbing this game I recommend trying out the demo on the website first to get a feel for the writing. What a shame, I was really hoping to have found a new adventure game to dig into.

LiK

taoofjord said:
I was really pumped for this game thanks to this thread but I finally got to play it last night and I'm left scratching my head. The writing in this is not exceptional, or even very good. It's amateurish and filled to the brim with extraneous details. To those interested in grabbing this game I recommend trying out the demo on the website first to get a feel for the writing. What a shame, I was really hoping to have found a new adventure game to dig into.
Really? The dialogue is great and very well localized. If you're referring to the narrative at the bottom of the screen, that's the nature of visual novels. And I think they did a great job there too. Keep playing cuz it only gets better.

LiK

Gomu Gomu said:
Just got this game ($45 :( ). First 2 hours were great, I hope it keeps up at this rate.
There are no dull moments, if you like the first 2 hours, it only goes up from there.

Just finished the game for the first time.

Huh. Everyone was killed and I died at a submarine not able to see who killed me. We didn't go through all the doors because there weren't enough people alive. And there was no door number 9. Fuck. This wasn't the right ending. Learned some cool stuff though. Will play through a couple more times. Puzzles were super easy.

Lard

Banned
Hylian7 said:
Which picture did you get that replaced one of the 6 ?'s at the top of the save screen?

I'm pretty sure I got the knife.

Just got the
axe
ending. :(

Hopefully I've gotten the two bad endings out of the way now.

Hylian7 said:
I have a few questions.

At the end, before the credits, Junpei said "There never really was a detonator at all.", if this is true, then why did the 9th Man and the guy dressed as Snake (I forget his name) both die by internal explosion? Was Alice in building Q the whole time, even 9 years ago? Is it actually implied in the submarine ending that Ace stabbed everyone and faked his own death so Junpei wouldn't notice? Why was there a submarine there in the first place if they weren't actually on a ship?
-Only the people responsible for the first Nonary Game had detonators in them. (Ace, 9th Man, Cap & Mr. X)

-Alice escaped the Gigantic over 9 years ago, when is exactly unknown. Why she is at the desert facility at the end is still a mystery though.

-Yes, the general consensus is that Ace faked his own death in the sub ending. Junpei only checks Clover's pulse when he discovers the bodies.

-The sub was there because the facility was an exact replica of the ship. If Junpei actually got on the sub, it would of probably led immediately outside, or would of been blocked off. The facility was quite large and have huge reservoirs of water, so having a pool to replicate a sub's entry point would have been possible.

I got the same ending last night:
The submarine one.

This time I’m gonna go through doors
4 + 8 + 6 = digital root of 9. Perhaps that’ll finally lead me to door number 9?

I’m certain getting the true ending has something to do with
the clover bookmark Santa found. I'll give it to Clover!?

It’s pretty amazing how with every bit of new info the story becomes more clear and everything starts to add up. :D

LiK

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m certain getting the true ending has something to do with
the clover bookmark Santa found. I'll give it to Clover!?

It’s pretty amazing how with every bit of new info the story becomes more clear and everything starts to add up. :D

YES.

also
don't be a douche when given a nice or douchey answer choice.
;)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, got this for Christmas, just started playing it on the car trip today. Ended up going through door 4 first, just got out of the kitchen.

Thoughts:
-Text is a bit overly verbose at times, but overall very well written.

-
Holy cow June is trying to get laid. I mean, I was expecting some kind of romance subplot, but she just can't stay away from all the thinly veiled comments and flirts

-I'll admit, I actually laughed out loud when Junpei was all "lets split up and search for clues"

Omikaru

So, I've read lots of hyperbolic comments about this game in regards to videogame storytelling, and I'll be honest, I'd not heard about this game until this week. I like to keep up with the top DS releases, so I'm quite shocked that this one has slipped under the radar!

Being in the UK, I imported it, but obviously I've gotta wait a few weeks for it now. Should I dampen my expectations, or is this really something special? Take in mind you don't have to sell this game to me, I'm already sold. But, like, I'm a huge fan of storytelling in games, so will this be a big deal for me?

LiK

Omikaru said:
So, I've read lots of hyperbolic comments about this game in regards to videogame storytelling, and I'll be honest, I'd not heard about this game until this week. I like to keep up with the top DS releases, so I'm quite shocked at this.

Being in the UK, I imported it, but obviously I've gotta wait a few weeks for it now. Should I dampen my expectations, or is this really something special? Take in mind you don't have to sell this game to me, I'm already sold. But, like, I'm a huge fan of storytelling in games, so will this be a big deal for me?

if you like a good story, you will not be disappointed.

*looks at avatar* yup, you will enjoy it.

Omikaru said:
If storytelling is a key point of video games to you, then this game should not disappoint.

It evokes a way of connecting a game's narrative that is very seldom seen in any game that I've come across.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Omikaru said:
So, I've read lots of hyperbolic comments about this game in regards to videogame storytelling, and I'll be honest, I'd not heard about this game until this week. I like to keep up with the top DS releases, so I'm quite shocked that this one has slipped under the radar!

As someone who just started, I'm thinking the overall quality of the story is going to be very special, but the writing on a minute-to-minute level is only good. Its very well written actually, but there's a lot of long conversations that don't make a lot of sense in context (at least in the first hour or so) I mean, even off the bat there's a lot of stuff that isn't Chekov's Gun so much as Chekov's Blatant Cannon.

We're freezing to death, so why are we sitting around for ten minutes talking about some weird phenomenon involving glycerin decades back and a special kind of ice that melts at 96 degrees again?

But I can sense a really good underlying story here. I can't wait for it to pick up and get awesome.

LiK

The_Technomancer said:
As someone who just started, I'm thinking the overall quality of the story is going to be very special, but the writing on a minute-to-minute level is only good. Its very well written actually, but there's a lot of long conversations that don't make a lot of sense in context (at least in the first hour or so) I mean, even off the bat there's a lot of stuff that isn't Chekov's Gun so much as Chekov's Blatant Cannon.

We're freezing to death, so why are we sitting around talking about some wierd phenomenon involving glycerin decades back and a special kind of ice that melts at 96 degrees again?

But I can sense a really good underlying story here. I can't wait for it to pick up and get awesome.

it'll make sense, trust me.

Hot Ham! I did all of that
just to watch my love die in my arms and get shot in the fucking back by a mystery person!?
Awesome :lol

Now for round 2...

ASIS

LiK said:
Even the so-called crappy endings reveal info you don't see in the normal or good endings. Why? Because you'll completely bypass certain rooms and puzzles that you'll only come across for that specific ending. Not a bad idea to get all the bad endings first before going for the true ending, imo. This is why I tell everyone to get all the endings before going for the True ending. It's not a waste of time at all. It only makes the True ending more awesome. But play however you want.
No no you didn't get what I was saying, I heard there was an ending that just ends abruptly
which turned out was ending 2
It was that ending that I wanted to avoid at all costs.

I got all the other endings before doing the true ending, and I agree, they really add to the game.

LiK said:
it'll make sense, trust me.

!!!!!

That’s so awesome to hear since I had a problem with that little scene too. It stuck out as really weird/dumb.

Why would they discuss that useless stuff while
freezing to death!?
So good to hear it’ll make sense later! :D

Top Bottom