• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Nishastra said:
I don't think there's any real significance to the door numbers aside from who can go in them.

Yes, it's definitely what happens in them that matters. You need to take certain paths where Junpei learns certain things and then also has a chance to make use of what he's learned.

Beautiful! That clears so much up for me. Thanks! :D

AniHawk

Ferrio said:
Seven is indeed the best, stupid Japanese poll. Maybe he was portrayed badly in the original text?

I don't think he was a woman enough in the original text. I mean clover, really. what the shit.

AniHawk

the description of crazy clover was awesome.
the actual presence and me not being able to do anything about crazy clover was not awesome.

and otherwise, she's just kind of a boring character. she has the least personality out of anyone.

LiK

AniHawk said:
the description of crazy clover was awesome.
the actual presence and me not being able to do anything about crazy clover was not awesome.

and otherwise, she's just kind of a boring character. she has the least personality out of anyone.

she wasn't that interesting to me either.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
LiK said:
she wasn't that interesting to me either.
She got more interesting on the true ending path, but she and Santa were probably the two that I felt the least engaged in. Well, until we learned more about Santa at least.

LiK

The_Technomancer said:
She got more interesting on the true ending path, but she and Santa were probably the two that I felt the least engaged in. Well, until we learned more about Santa at least.

she had her moments but definitely low on my list for my fave characters in the game.

AniHawk

For me it goes:

8. Clover - not interesting at all. Like Technomancer says, you learn a little more about her in the true ending, but for most of the game when you interact with her she's pretty mopey and/or
axey.

7. Snake - A cool-ass guy, but he doesn't wind up doing much throughout the course of the game. You have the option to see him once during each one of the actual
non-getting-murdered
endings.

6. Santa - He's also kinda uninteresting until you get into the actual endings for the game. Then playing scenarios with rooms he's in take on a different meaning.

5. Lotus -
I still don't know why she's in the game, but she was kinda interesting. She started off sounding a little villainous, but she was just being a realist. There were some little moments with her and Seven that were kinda funny too, like if/when they have to go in door 6 together.

4. Ace -
I think he goes a little too much into cartoon villainy in the true end, but that's mostly because of the art (specifically the part where he's peering into the incinerator). Otherwise, I kinda liked his numb-to-everything, fuckit-i'm-outta-here attitude when his true personality is revealed. His real reason for doing the Nonary Project was something I wish had never been said. Too little too late for empathy there buddy.

3. Seven - Aw, he's just a good guy and does the right thing. Just kinda hard not to like him.

2. June -
She shoots up to a much, much higher position when it's revealed she's actually Zero. A darker character in retrospect whose actions can be seen as heavy-handed manipulation out of some survival instinct, despite actually caring for Junpei. I think she's a more complex character than her dialog suggested.

1. Junpei - He's awesome. Good-bad jokes, realistic reactions to most things, and a believable leader character.

The Technomancer

seady said:
Has this game been discontinued? Can't find it anywhere.
I think its just sold out. I asked for it enough in advance that my parents got a regular price Amazon copy, but supplies are short now it seems.

Nishastra

Banned
I like Clover :p

She's kind of dull in
several of the paths because she barely exists in most of them. She's just "Oh no my brother!" and then she sulks for a bit and is killed off-camera.

The reason I like her is because of the safe path and the true end. She seems like the smartest of the people who aren't lying through their teeth about everything (except perhaps Snake, but he's not around much). Only on the true path do you really learn anything about her at all.

My whole path to the end was "get close to Clover", as I've mentioned before, and the way you slowly work towards her trust and then it's sort of her and you VS suddenly-an-asshole-Ace (and/or the world) for a while endeared me to her :p

Also, she's a good axe-murderer.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nishastra said:
I like Clover :p

She's kind of dull in
several of the paths because she barely exists in most of them. She's just "Oh no my brother!" and then she sulks for a bit and is killed off-camera.

The reason I like her is because of the safe path and the true end. She seems like the smartest of the people who aren't lying through their teeth about everything (except perhaps Snake, but he's not around much). Only on the true path do you really learn anything about her at all.

My whole path to the end was "get close to Clover", as I've mentioned before, and the way you slowly work towards her trust and then it's sort of her and you VS suddenly-an-asshole-Ace (and/or the world) for a while endeared me to her :p

Also, she's a good axe-murderer.
Winner!

Clover Defense Force assemble. :p

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Ferrio said:
Am the only one who got the
safe
ending first? Guess I got lucky.
I got it first too. But I didn't know what to do with it and was
killed repeatedly
in subsequent playthroughs. :lol

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
seady said:
Has this game been discontinued? Can't find it anywhere.

Haha, no, not discontinued, just sold out :D

We should be receiving our re-order any day now and retailers, such as Amazon, should receive their replenished copies sometime next week, if everything goes according to plan ;)

Our online store will be restocked as well, so we'll be offering the 999 bundle (game + watch) again on it :)

Nishastra

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
I'd say so. It's the Phoenix Wright shortages all over again.
Next up
a
detective
game
starring
Seven
?
Invest
igations
?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Would be pretty sweet to see 999 characters in a fighting game a'la Tatsunoko, since the designs are by Kinu Nishimura :lol

AniHawk said:
So it sounds like it's a success then? Restocks usually mean success.

We're pretty happy so far :D

LiK

Akselziys said:
Would be pretty sweet to see 999 characters in a fighting game a'la Tatsunoko, since the designs are by Kinu Nishimura :lol

We're pretty happy so far :D
I want 999 figures. I think I own pretty much every figure she designed. ^^

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
LiK said:
I want 999 figures. I think I own pretty much every figure she designed. ^^

I would be all over 999 figures in a heart beat :D And they would litter my desk like the awesomeness they epitomize ;)

Off topic for a sec, but currently my desk is comprised of Castle of Shikigami 2 & 3 figures (Niigi Gorgeous Blue & Fumiko Odette Vanstein), Dizzy, KOS-MOS, and Mio :lol

photolr.jpg

Belisarius

Neo Member
Akselziys said:
I would be all over 999 figures in a heart beat :D And they would litter my desk like the awesomeness they epitomize ;)

Off topic for a sec, but currently my desk is comprised of Castle of Shikigami 2 & 3 figures (Niigi Gorgeous Blue & Fumiko Odette Vanstein), Dizzy, KOS-MOS, and Mio :lol

[image clipped so this doesn't get crazy]
Pretty sure my desk is far and away the manlier of the two:
oIVba.jpg

pslong009

Neo Member
So, this was my first experience with any sort of visual novel type game, and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Definitely one of the top games of the year for me. The music / sound effects / small amounts of graphics really did add a lot to the experience and really helped to build the tension and convey things in a way that I don't normally get from either reading or from watching a movie.
And I thought the visuals with the 9th man, "Snake", and the Cap were well-done - showing enough blood to again raise tension and instill a sense of horror, but not so much as to completely overwhelm the 'reader'. I'm glad it didn't go the 24 or Law and Order: SVU route of showing all the grisly detail of what happened.

I also found that due to the color and style of Clover's hair, I kind of subconsciously linked her to Presea from Tales of Symphonia. And this was before I had gotten the axe ending. So that comparison ended up being more accurate than I thought it would. :lol

Also, getting that ending right before going to bed is not a good idea. I'm definitely glad I was on vacation at the time and didn't have to go to work the next day, because it took me a looooong time to fall asleep since I couldn't get the image of Clover's demented grin out of my head.

So, I've seen Hotel Dusk mentioned as a similar type of game. Any others that are available in the US?

I got this game for my birthday about a week ago and have got 4 endings so far. This is my first time playing a visual novel, and I love it. The characters, the music, and the puzzles were all great. I laughed out loud at numerous points in the different story paths. I also liked that I never had to resort to an online FAQ for any puzzle, even though I generally am bad at puzzles in games, but they were still clever and challenging. I especially loved the music that played during the
true
ending. I wouldn't mind an official soundtrack. :D Now to finish the last two endings I have!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
It seems some fans set up a 999 Live Journal if any of you all are interested :D

http://community.livejournal.com/nonary_game/

Easystride said:
I got this game for my birthday about a week ago and have got 4 endings so far. This is my first time playing a visual novel, and I love it. The characters, the music, and the puzzles were all great. I laughed out loud at numerous points in the different story paths. I also liked that I never had to resort to an online FAQ for any puzzle, even though I generally am bad at puzzles in games, but they were still clever and challenging. I especially loved the music that played during the
true
ending. I wouldn't mind an official soundtrack. :D Now to finish the last two endings I have!

That's pretty awesome :D I'm glad you've enjoyed it!

And there is an official OST that was released in Japan :)

AniHawk

pslong009 said:
So, I've seen Hotel Dusk mentioned as a similar type of game. Any others that are available in the US?

The Ace Attorney games? I dunno. All of the visual novel games seem to feel like the point and click adventure games to me, but those the most.

Hotel Dusk's tone is a lot more serious most of the time than Ace Attorney. It had a sequel that hit Europe too, but I haven't played it. There's also Trace Memory, which is part of the same universe as Hotel Dusk. Haven't played it either, and it also got a sequel only Europe saw (but it's for the Wii).

Aside from those, Ghost Trick is coming out in about a week. It's made by the guy who did the original Ace Attorney.

LiK

pslong009 said:

agree with Anihawk about the AA games and yup, Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory (which are both made by the same developer) are recommended. Great stories and puzzles. There's also Last Window (sequel to Hotel Dusk) but that's EU only so you need to import.

The Technomancer

AniHawk said:
The Ace Attorney games? I dunno. All of the visual novel games seem to feel like the point and click adventure games to me, but those the most.

Hotel Dusk's tone is a lot more serious most of the time than Ace Attorney. It had a sequel that hit Europe too, but I haven't played it. There's also Trace Memory, which is part of the same universe as Hotel Dusk. Haven't played it either, and it also got a sequel only Europe saw (but it's for the Wii).

Aside from those, Ghost Trick is coming out in about a week. It's made by the guy who did the original Ace Attorney.
Oh? Still haven't beaten HD, does it somehow tie into TM later on?

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:
Either a tangential mention of the main family from Trace Memory or else the memory-analysis tech I assume?

There's just a picture of someone in Hotel Dusk who's a character (not a family member of the main character) in Trace Memory. That's it.

LiK

AniHawk said:
There's just a picture of someone in Hotel Dusk who's a character (not a family member of the main character) in Trace Memory. That's it.

EASTER EGG! a cool one nonetheless

Nishastra

Banned
I've had that same picture (albeit a bit more zoomed in and without the 4) in my rotation for a day or two :p

uBwvj.png

It's the only good picture of Clover I have, or I'd have more avatars :p

LiK

Nishastra said:
I've had that same picture (albeit a bit more zoomed in and without the 4) in my rotation for a day or two :p

uBwvj.png

It's the only good picture of Clover I have, or I'd have more avatars :p

where is your avatar from? very cute art style.

Nishastra

Banned
Do you mean the Clover one or all the others? :p

The Clover one is from the Japanese character poll article that was posted somewhere.

Here's all of those pictures. I don't think these are full size, though, as I was able to find a bigger version of the Clover picture out there.

Top Bottom