• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The_Technomancer said:
How are you doing that so fast? I mean, I've got a version that I split apart into layers to allow me to put stuff at different depths, but are you just placing her in each frame and erasing the overlap? Or some special cool trick that I should be learning?
Layer masks would be my guess.

Belisarius

Neo Member
The_Technomancer said:
How are you doing that so fast? I mean, I've got a version that I split apart into layers to allow me to put stuff at different depths, but are you just placing her in each frame and erasing the overlap? Or some special cool trick that I should be learning?
After Effects, bro. Photoshop takes for damn ever. I have your mandolin dude on the top layer with a keyframed mask to cut out where I want Clover to go. Then I just drop her on the layer beneath him, and whatever I want for the background on the layer under her.

LiK

XiaNaphryz said:
June doesn't have any Clover-level-of-awesome animations though.

There's only so many variations of blush-headturn-blush-surprise-blush you can do. ;P
Exactly, that blush animation is so cute! ^.^

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
XiaNaphryz said:
Layer masks would be my guess.
Well I spent about three hours one day manually splitting each frame up into three layers: grey background, main body with lute, and front arm/hand. I was just impressed that either he went through the trouble to layer stuff like that, or else he just pasted Clover in and erased the overlap, or else had some fast way of doing what I found a pain in the ass.

EDIT:
Tuesday said:
After Effects, bro. Photoshop takes for damn ever. I have your mandolin dude on the top layer with a keyframed mask to cut out where I want Clover to go. Then I just drop her on the layer beneath him, and whatever I want for the background on the layer under her.
Yeah...I should learn how to use AE.

XiaNaphryz

Tuesday said:
Can't you do the same thing in Photoshop just as quickly?

Or maybe I'm forgetting how long it takes for the average PS user to do things in comparison with some of my coworkers here...

LiK

The_Technomancer said:
Well I spent about three hours one day manually splitting each frame up into three layers: grey background, main body with lute, and front arm/hand. I was just impressed that either he went through the trouble to layer stuff like that, or else he just pasted Clover in and erased the overlap, or else had some fast way of doing what I found a pain in the ass.

EDIT:

I tried AE years ago and it confounds me. I should try out a new version.

The Technomancer

XiaNaphryz said:

Or maybe I'm forgetting how long it takes for the average PS user to do things in comparison with some of my coworkers here...
What's the fastest, most professional way to isolate an object from its background, or cut things out? The lasso tool is a joke, the magic wand is good only for specific situations (like pulling something from a solid background) so for years I've stuck by using the pen tool to make a path around the area in question and then Paths->Make selection. That's what always takes the longest. Adding a point, then dragging its curvature to match the object, then adjusting the guidelines at the end to keep from messing up the next segment...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tuesday said:
technomancer_clover.gif

Updated to the best of both worlds!

And nice work with the bracelet, btw.

Haha, I was just going to recommend that you guys should fuse the avatars together :3 Nice job, Tuesday!

*Aksys hi-five (^_^)/-\(@.@)*

Belisarius

Neo Member
The_Technomancer said:
AE is a beautiful thing, and it's not that hard to learn. Then you can whip up stuff like this at a moment's notice!
iMOqj.gif

YsMbP.gif

XiaNaphryz said:
I'm not as familiar with doing animation in Photoshop, but in theory I think it would be a much faster in After Effects, and once you had the composition set up, it would be super easy to drop new stuff in. In my experience, at least, an sort of motion graphics stuff is quite a bit faster in AE.

The_Technomancer said:
What's the fastest, most professional way to isolate an object from its background, or cut things out? The lasso tool is a joke, the magic wand is good only for specific situations (like pulling something from a solid background) so for years I've stuck by using the pen tool to make a path around the area in question and then Paths->Make selection. That's what always takes the longest. Adding a point, then dragging its curvature to match the object, then adjusting the guidelines at the end to keep from messing up the next segment...
I've had decent luck with the polygonal lasso. It does take a while, and it's pretty frustrating if you mess it up, but it works pretty well for me.

The Technomancer

Tuesday said:
I'm not as familiar with doing animation in Photoshop, but in theory I think it would be a much faster in After Effects, and once you had the composition set up, it would be super easy to drop new stuff in. In my experience, at least, an sort of motion graphics stuff is quite a bit faster in AE.

I've had decent luck with the polygonal lasso. It does take a while, and it's pretty frustrating if you mess it up, but it works pretty well for me.
Yeah, the biggest problem with animation in Photoshop is keeping your layers and your frames organized. Each frame has its own layer as well as its own identity as a "frame", and its easy and common to accidentally turn layers from other frames on in the one you're working in. Also for adding in the background that I did I had to make 9 layers, one for each frame of animation, and intersperse them at the right priority throughout the layer list.

I haven't touched the lasso in years. Just got frustrated with getting halfway around a complex object and then slipping a quarter inch and having to start over.

Belisarius

Neo Member
LiK said:
(This thread has been derailed completely)
junpei_dwi.gif

Cutting something out in Photoshop is a long and tedious process, whatever tool you use. That was part of why I went with AE: Making your mask is basically the same process, but once you've got it made, you can just animate a bit of each frame where it changes.

The Technomancer

Tuesday said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6764177/junpei_dwi.gif[IMG]

Cutting something out in Photoshop is a long and tedious process, whatever tool you use. That was part of why I went with AE: Making your mask is basically the same process, but once you've got it made, you can just animate a bit of each frame where it changes.[/QUOTE]
I....[i]really[/i] like the sound of that.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
To put things back in a 999 mood, I made a downsized sample of the ending illustration from the 999 Alternative novels that Chunsoft released in Japan. :D *spoilers obviously*

http://li.brari.us/999a

I like how a certain person's daughter makes an appearance and we all get the nice little star crossed lovers reunion at the end :D (and Seven pushing Junpei is pretty funny XD)

I've been really busy with work recently, but today and tomorrow I can dedicate some good time to 999. Gonna get the
Axe Ending
Safe Ending
and the
True Ending.

BaronLundi said:
I believe both question marks are replaced when you get the true ending regardless of whether you got the coffin one beforehand.

Ah, good to hear! That makes much more sense.

And LOL at all these avatars! Someone should change Akselziy's avatar so mine and his aren’t too similar!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tricky I Shadow said:
I've been really busy with work recently, but today and tomorrow I can dedicate some good time to 999. Gonna get the
Axe Ending
Safe Ending
and the
True Ending.

Ah, good to hear! That makes much more sense.

And LOL at all these avatars! Someone should change Akselziy's avatar so mine and his aren’t too similar!

I'll change mine in a little bit :D
Maybe to something pseudo-spoilery, but only with context XD

XiaNaphryz

Akselziys said:
Not if its Crazy Clover, as that one's mine once I can find a decent direct feed rip. :p

Akselziys said:
I'll change mine in a little bit :D

Now now......let’s not do anything crazy!
You can feel free to do that once I get the True Ending! : p

XiaNaphryz

LiK said:
he's a dude. :lol i think :|
I would hope so, or I'll have a helluva lot to explain to my wife and kids. We don't actually create "magic" magic at ILM after all. To my knowledge anyway. ;P

LiK

XiaNaphryz said:
I would hope so, or I'll have a helluva lot to explain to my wife and kids. We don't actually create "magic" magic at ILM.

don't change your avatar. it looks like a room of Clover clones....yum

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
XiaNaphryz said:
I would hope so, or I'll have a helluva lot to explain to my wife and kids. We don't actually create "magic" magic at ILM.

Haha, cool, cool :) I'll go ahead and create one from the raw hi-res assets we have for you :)

Feep

Banned
So I got the
coffin
ending and then the
submersible everyone dies
ending.

If I go through the remaining two doors (excluding 9) that I haven't yet gone through, will I get the true ending? Or do I need to do more? Please stay vague. :D

LiK

Feep said:
So I got the
coffin
ending and then the
submersible everyone dies
ending.

If I go through the remaining two doors (excluding 9) that I haven't yet gone through, will I get the true ending? Or do I need to do more? Please stay vague. :D

more, you did or didn't do something that stopped you from getting an ending that is required to get the true ending. that is all i shall say :x

AniHawk said:
yeah but that might've been too big a spoiler.
I don't think you could tell who it was just from the picture alone.

It was probably the most unsettling image in the game for me personally.

LiK

Akselziys said:
I felt like it was time for a zoot-suit riot :D

And I have a soft spot for Ace since I cosplayed as him :lol

holy shit, if you didn't finish the game, don't highlight that spoiler. :lol

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
someguyinahat said:
Did you buy it used? I once bought a used GBA game that couldn't save and it turned out to be a bootlegged/pirate copy (whatever the terminology is.) With more information maybe we can help.

Got it from Amazon direct new so I wouldn't think it was pirated. I'm guessing its not supposed to do that then. Maybe its just a bad formatted save. Back of the game has this number: BSKEN0J08

Top Bottom