• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Thoraxes

Akselziys said:
Ever 17 was localized for PC years ago by another company, but I hear it's pretty hard to find now XD;

I'm really happy that you enjoyed 999 just as much as we did localizing it :D!

Edit: If you enjoyed the true ending, here's a peek at the ending from the 999 Alternative novels Chunsoft released earlier in 2010 :D

Major spoilers!

http://bit.ly/i67MyO

As you'll see, the ending is different with a certain person's daughter making an appearance and a certain couple reuniting :D

Awwwwww! That's adorable! I hope you guys localize more games like this! My brain is still reeling from just trying to digest the ending still and I am just amazed a how much of a ride the whole game was.

Awesome job done!

Akselziys said:
Unfortunately the novels are only in Japanese XD;
The first novel has chapters 0-4 and the second novel has chapters 5-9 :D I'm really interested in what happens in them though, especially at the end :D Since that ending pic is a total tease :)

:( Makes me wish I knew Japanese... I Know! Localize those for your online store! It's brilliant! :D

Also are there other games of this "genre" I should be looking at? This type of game has been a lot of fun.

When you’re in the
library
and you examine a specific section Junpei says that the book is warm and then Clover says something like:

“Oh I’m sorry!” And then Seven says something like “What is this sappy stuff?!”

Umm, someone care to explain what that was about because the joke flew right over my head. It was meant to be a joke wasn't it? :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tricky I Shadow said:
When you’re in the
library
and you examine a specific section Junpei says that the book is warm and then Clover says something like:

“Oh I’m sorry!” And then Seven says something like “What is this sappy stuff?!”

Umm, someone care to explain what that was about because the joke flew right over my head. It was meant to be a joke wasn't it? :lol
He grabbed her hand.

MechaX

Okay. Even though I'm missing out on Knife (after Safe, I can already tell where this one is going) and Coffin, I think I'm ready to tackle the True Ending. I have two questions.

1.) Is there any tidbits in the Knife and Coffin endings that I should know about?
2.) On a scale from 1-10, how much mind-blowage should I expect from the True Ending?

MechaX said:
Okay. Even though I'm missing out on Knife (after Safe, I can already tell where this one is going) and Coffin, I think I'm ready to tackle the True Ending. I have two questions.

1.) Is there any tidbits in the Knife and Coffin endings that I should know about?
2.) On a scale from 1-10, how much mind-blowage should I expect from the True Ending?

1. From what I remember you don't miss much, but that was the first ending I got so it might be blending with others. But it's always cool to see all the endings!

2. :lol Personally, I don't think a number does it justice. :D

Hyunkel6

Akselziys said:
Edit: If you enjoyed the true ending, here's a peek at the ending from the 999 Alternative novels Chunsoft released earlier in 2010 :D

Major spoilers!

http://bit.ly/i67MyO

As you'll see, the ending is different with a certain person's daughter making an appearance and a certain couple reuniting :D
Doesn't Lotus have two daughters? I can't remember if she mentioned that something happened to one of them.
This picture should have been after the credits. :/

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Hyunkel6 said:
Doesn't Lotus have two daughters? I can't remember if she mentioned that something happened to one of them.
This picture should have been after the credits. :/

Yeah,
she has Nona and unnamed other twin daughter, but it seems Nona only appears in the ending... (both her and Lotus are kneeling, if you're wondering why she looks short for a 21 year old :lol ) I'm not sure how Nona got there in the novels or why the other daughter is missing, which is why hopefully someone fantranslates it ;).

Also, I like how Seven is pushing Junpei forward as if he's saying "go get 'em, tiger" :lol

Santa looks pretty smug himself as he walks away kinda like "go get your happiness, Akane" :D

Though I do agree that pic would have made a pretty good end game pic ;)

Belisarius

Neo Member
Akselziys said:
Yeah,
she has Nona and unnamed other twin daughter, but it seems Nona only appears in the ending... (both her and Lotus are kneeling, if you're wondering why she looks short for a 21 year old :lol ) I'm not sure how Nona got there in the novels or why the other daughter is missing, which is why hopefully someone fantranslates it ;).

Though I do agree that pic would have made a pretty good end game pic ;)

NONA IS THE HITCHHIKER

Roto13

MechaX said:

The Coffin ending is just the true ending except it cuts off really early. Since you already got the Safe ending, you can't access the Coffin ending anyway. You'll get the icon for it once you get the true ending, though.

I just finished all six of the game's endings (used a non spoiler guide on gamefaqs and did them in that order aftr I beat it the first time) and I am utterly speechless at the finale. Each ending came with a certain revelation about a character which all tied together into a magnificent "true" ending. I haven't been this thoroughly mind-fucked since I found out Bruce Willis was dead at the end of Sixth Sense.

I've been playing videogames fornearly all of my life and I can easily say that out of all the game's I've played, this game's story is far better than 99% of them. I am having trouble deciding whether this game is on par with the likes of Silent Hill 2 in terms of plot development.

THAT'S HOW GOOD IT IS.

I honestly didn't expect much to come out of this little indie title when I saw this on the shelf at Gamestop but I'm glad that my curiousity had the better of me. Aksys has definitely outdone themselves with this title.

This is NOT one of the best DS games of 2010.

This is one of the best games OF ALL TIME!

Regarding the True Ending....was that Lotus hitchhiking? A paradox of some sort from Junpei rescuing Akane? Or was it an attempt at a joke about the mummy on the ship?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
diablopanqueque said:
I just finished all six of the game's endings (used a non spoiler guide on gamefaqs and did them in that order aftr I beat it the first time) and I am utterly speechless at the finale. Each ending came with a certain revelation about a character which all tied together into a magnificent "true" ending. I haven't been this thoroughly mind-fucked since I found out Bruce Willis was dead at the end of Sixth Sense.

I've been playing videogames fornearly all of my life and I can easily say that out of all the game's I've played, this game's story is far better than 99% of them. I am having trouble deciding whether this game is on par with the likes of Silent Hill 2 in terms of plot development.

THAT'S HOW GOOD IT IS.

I honestly didn't expect much to come out of this little indie title when I saw this on the shelf at Gamestop but I'm glad that my curiousity had the better of me. Aksys has definitely outdone themselves with this title.

This is NOT one of the best DS games of 2010.

This is one of the best games OF ALL TIME!

Regarding the True Ending....was that Lotus hitchhiking? A paradox of some sort from Junpei rescuing Akane? Or was it an attempt at a joke about the mummy on the ship?

Was supposed to be Alice ;)

And your immense love for 999 brings massive grins to all our faces :D Thanks for your kind words! :)

diablopanqueque said:
It's most likely supposed to be Alice. (Lotus was in the SUV) Whether or not it's a joke or a canon occurrence is unknown. Maybe the Cunsoft Q&A will clear this up.

Gunloc said:
It's most likely supposed to be Alice. (Lotus was in the SUV) Whether or not it's a joke or a canon occurrence is unknown. Maybe the Cunsoft Q&A will clear this up.

Ah ok I wasn't sure about this. Since the girl was shown from behind with her hair done up like Lotus' it was a little hard to make the connection. Also with Akane helping out in the present as well as submitting information to Junpei from the past, I figured it possible for there to be two of Lotus as well.

Aksel said:
And your immense love for 999 brings massive grins to all our faces Thanks for your kind words! :)

I truly mean it. I'll be bragging about this game to my friends for years to come. Now...it'll help seal the deal with them once I can get my hand on one of those nifty watches. Any chance on those being back in stock anytime soon for purchase? (willing to double dip and buy the game a second time for a friend if it means I get the watch haha)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
diablopanqueque said:
Ah ok I wasn't sure about this. Since the girl was shown from behind with her hair done up like Lotus' it was a little hard to make the connection. Also with Akane helping out in the present as well as submitting information to Junpei from the past, I figured it possible for there to be two of Lotus as well.

I truly mean it. I'll be bragging about this game to my friends for years to come. Now...it'll help seal the deal with them once I can get my hand on one of those nifty watches. Any chance on those being back in stock anytime soon for purchase? (willing to double dip and buy the game a second time for a friend if it means I get the watch haha)

Aww, a true 999 fan :D We should receive our re-order this week, which will then re-stock our online store with copies, so we'll be providing the 999 bundles (watch + game) once more :D

Retailers who re-ordered should be receiving their copies later in the week too.

Akselziys said:
Aww, a true 999 fan :D We should receive our re-order this week, which will then re-stock our online store with copies, so we'll be providing the 999 bundles (watch + game) once more :D

Retailers who re-ordered should be receiving their copies later in the week too.

You just made me the happiest man in the world. Can't wait to get it! (^_^)

EDIT: The digital root of this page is 9. Coincidence? (oh right changed my thread settings..might be different for everyone else.)

jaxword

Anyone know when that developer Q and A is going to be done?

Everyone wants to know the same answer: is the ending image supposed to completely change the canon or just a huge troll on the audience?

Okay guys, I just finished this game... my mind is totally blown! I was avoiding this thread and reading through it now, I'm glad I did :D

BUT OH MY GOD this game is great. Some of the best storytelling and writing in the videogame medium ever. It's seriously great.

I love that the story is actually improved by playing the game, and that the way the game is played improves the story. I love that things are largely so well-explained and they don't feel like cheap "gotchas." I love that really thinking about everything can lead you to interesting conclusions and insights that you didn't have before, and that each ending gives you new pieces of the puzzle.

I got the true ending last (right after the safe ending), and I'm damn glad I did. Those two endings as the last two were just... so damn good.

And the ending is such a damn tease at the end :lol
Now I want a 999 avatar :lol Clover!

Everyone wants to know the same answer: is the ending image supposed to completely change the canon or just a huge troll on the audience?

Pretty sure it was a troll or "knowing wink" or whatever to the audience. I couldn't help but laugh to myself, anyway.

It's really good to see all the praise this game is getting when it comes to the story. It truly is something very special!

It completely deserves it! Even outside of videogames, it’s still easily amongst the best of the best! A true classic! :D

XiaNaphryz said:
He grabbed her hand.

Errrrr.....I still don’t get it.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Errrrr.....I still don’t get it.

I took it as kind of a Japanese thing. He touched her hand (it was warm), and Seven was wondering why they were holding hands and stuff. Apparently touching hands in Japan is serious business :lol

MechaX

Okay, been playing for the last 6 or so hours and I got the True Ending!

My expression went from "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" to "hm... Safe Ending makes complete sense now" to ":/ are you fucking serious?" to "huh... well... I guess that was a satisfying ending..."

Most notably, I did not really see the Time Paradox Telepathy twist coming. That got me in a kind of "Are you fucking serious? :\" kind of way. The game was pretty much all about the pseudo-science and then it leaps off a cliff right into Ace Attorney levels of inanity. I don't have a problem with that, but I at least had time to adjust to the Spirit Medium angle in the AA series. Here, it was just kinda like Hideo Kojima decided to sneak in and re-write some stuff at the last minute. I guess I'm never going to find out if Seven just remembered the stuff wrong, if somehow Junpei's events altered time and space, or if Seven was kinda in the know about the Time Paradox Santa and June would have to uphold and deliberately misled Junpei.

In one of my previous posts, I did suspect June/Akane of being guilty of something. Didn't quite expect that it would be the combined efforts of both Santa and herself that would essentially be Zero.

Also, Ace's motivation for undergoing the nonary game is kinda... uh... strange. He decides to do all of this and essentially murders three people just so he can... see... people's faces. Alright dude.

And I'm guessing hitchhiker is one of Lotus's daughters.

Kinda funny that the Nonary Game was essentially one gigantic troll on every single player, even if it could easily lead to not-so-good results due to its players going batshit insane like in three of the endings.

All in all, this was a really good adventure-type game. It came out of nowhere and flew under the radar and essentially blew the lid off of 99% of video game writing in almost all respects. The puzzles get pretty complicated later on, but they give you enough hints to the point where they're not completely impossible or have completely obscure solutions. Moreover, the writing of this game really does a good job in painting some extremely vivid, morbid pictures. Most notably, being the description of a dead body that most works of fiction wouldn't even dare bring up.

Plus, this is one of the few adventure games where multiple endings DO have a very big importance in terms of clearing up revelations in the story as opposed to the endings being different due to minor cosmetic or event differences. If I actually finished this game in 2010, it would definitely be one of my top contenders for GOTY (especially since I haven't pulled 6-8 hour single-sitting marathons for a game since Knights of the Old Republic back in 2003).

jaxword

MechaX said:
Killer's motivation:
Also, Ace's motivation for undergoing the nonary game is kinda... uh... strange. He decides to do all of this and essentially murders three people just so he can... see... people's faces. Alright dude.

Edited out of politeness even though these are not really spoilers:

Imagine what you would see if you could not recognize any faces. This image is from a facial recognition program, so this would be an EXTREME mental disorder to lack even basic facial features, rather than just names to faces:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Eigenfaces.png

Now imagine not recognizing anyone ALL THE TIME, walking, talking, every single day of your life. On a mild level, the idea of being attracted to someone's facial beauty would be lost. Imagine how warped your sexuality would be. Now remember the subtle emotions that humans use to communicate nonverbally. Establishing emotional connections with people would be almost impossible as you could never tell what they were feeling.

Now, even worse--the disorder can manifest itself where OTHER faces appear on different people, so you could never actually know who you were seeing. You'd be incapable of trusting your own eyes unless you walked up and heard their voice with each and every person.

Prosopagnosia is a genuinely terrifying illness. I think I would go insane surrounded unrecognizable people all the time, and I think most of us would too.

Roto13

Tricky I Shadow said:
It's really good to see all the praise this game is getting when it comes to the story. It truly is something very special!

It completely deserves it! Even outside of videogames, it’s still easily amongst the best of the best!
Let's not go crazy now.

jaxword said:
If you would like to see what that disorder makes you see, here is an unsettling example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Eigenfaces.png

Now imagine that ALL AROUND YOU, walking, talking, every single day of your life. On a mild level, the idea of facial beauty is completely lost to you. Imagine how warped your sexuality would be. Now remember the subtle emotions that humans use to communicate nonverbally. Establishing emotional connections with people would be almost impossible as you could never tell what they were feeling. Imagine how difficult it would be to understand emotion if you have NEVER SEEN IT except in this hideous shadow ghostly face.

Now, even worse--the disorder can manifest itself where OTHER faces appear on different people, so you could never actually know who you were seeing. You'd be incapable of trusting your own eyes unless you walked up and heard their voice with each and every person.

Prosopagnosia is a genuinely terrifying illness. I think I would go insane surrounded by ghostly masks all day, and I think most of us would too.
I... really don't think that's how it works.

jaxword

Roto13 said:
Let's not go crazy now.

I... really don't think that's how it works.

Alright. Well, here are sources to expound upon what I was saying about the disorder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia#Unconscious_face_recognition

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/prosopagnosia/Prosopagnosia.htm

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/06.01/05-faceblind.html

Also note there are variations OF prosopagnosia, it's not just "I don't recognize people." Rarer cases that are more like full-blown agnosia are the really scary ones with all the ways the brain simply can't recognize anything. The image I posted was obviously an extreme (it's from the Eigen faces recognition program) but I was using that to illustrate that having this could really scar someone's psyche. Not being able to recognize your own face would probably be a fairly damaging experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwCrxomPbtY

That's a sort of depressing video of someone who has learned to live with it...

Raxus

So far I got the sub ending twice, then I got the knife, then I got the coffin (ARRRGH! SO CLOSE!). Figuring I had nothing to lose, I then purposely failed to get the next ending ax.
This leaves one bad ending and the true ending. Can I get the true ending without unlocking all the endings? I have the
library keycard
but I just hit a wall with the
coffin
ending.

Big story spoiler:
Also, I can't believe I forgot about Snake's arm even after going with him through door 5 during playthrough 1. Once I got to the coffin during the knife ending I figured it was Snake in the coffin but the coffin ending only confirmed it.
Now I just need to figure out what I have to do to get the true ending.

Danielsan

This game is already making me feel like a retard. I can't even make it past the fucking briefcases in the prologue. :lol Never mind, found the missing card. Dumbass...

Roto13

Raxus said:
So far I got the sub ending twice, then I got the knife, then I got the coffin (ARRRGH! SO CLOSE!). Figuring I had nothing to lose, I then purposely failed to get the next ending ax.
This leaves one bad ending and the true ending. Can I get the true ending without unlocking all the endings? I have the
library keycard
but I just hit a wall with the
coffin
ending.

Big story spoiler:
Also, I can't believe I forgot about Snake's arm even after going with him through door 5 during playthrough 1. Once I got to the coffin during the knife ending I figured it was Snake in the coffin but the coffin ending only confirmed it.
Now I just need to figure out what I have to do to get the true ending.
The only ending you need to get before the True ending is the Safe ending. Everything else is optional.

wrowa

Raxus said:
Ironically, I came so close to the safe ending during my first playthrough but I went and chose the wrong door at the very end.
Playing all of the other endings (well, except the coffin one) before the true ending is the only way to play the game anyway. Otherwise one misses a bunch of the small story and character details which make the game so great.

I just got the submarine ending, is this the ending I needed to get the true ending? I'm too afraid to read through the board because I'm afraid I'll spoil myself.

darkvir

Danielsan said:
This game is already making me feel like a retard. I can't even make it past the fucking briefcases in the prologue. :lol Never mind, found the missing card. Dumbass...

lol, i did the EXACT same thing. I started doing crazy math on that puzzle, then i looked under the freaking pillow....

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Infernodash said:
Thanks, just did a search with one eye opened, apparently I need to get the safe ending first, I'll work on that now.
I highly suggest getting all the other ones first.

Roto13 said:
Let's not go crazy now.

I don’t think that I've ever been as intrigued and constantly blown away by a story like 999. :D

Now, I don't really read a lot of books and watch a ton of movies, but it's definitely true for me.

Thoraxes

MechaX said:
Okay, been playing for the last 6 or so hours and I got the True Ending!

My expression went from "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" to "hm... Safe Ending makes complete sense now" to ":/ are you fucking serious?" to "huh... well... I guess that was a satisfying ending..."

Most notably, I did not really see the Time Paradox Telepathy twist coming. That got me in a kind of "Are you fucking serious? :\" kind of way. The game was pretty much all about the pseudo-science and then it leaps off a cliff right into Ace Attorney levels of inanity. I don't have a problem with that, but I at least had time to adjust to the Spirit Medium angle in the AA series. Here, it was just kinda like Hideo Kojima decided to sneak in and re-write some stuff at the last minute. I guess I'm never going to find out if Seven just remembered the stuff wrong, if somehow Junpei's events altered time and space, or if Seven was kinda in the know about the Time Paradox Santa and June would have to uphold and deliberately misled Junpei.

In one of my previous posts, I did suspect June/Akane of being guilty of something. Didn't quite expect that it would be the combined efforts of both Santa and herself that would essentially be Zero.

And I'm guessing hitchhiker is one of Lotus's daughters.

Kinda funny that the Nonary Game was essentially one gigantic troll on every single player, even if it could easily lead to not-so-good results due to its players going batshit insane like in three of the endings.

All in all, this was a really good adventure-type game. It came out of nowhere and flew under the radar and essentially blew the lid off of 99% of video game writing in almost all respects. The puzzles get pretty complicated later on, but they give you enough hints to the point where they're not completely impossible or have completely obscure solutions. Moreover, the writing of this game really does a good job in painting some extremely vivid, morbid pictures. Most notably, being the description of a dead body that most works of fiction wouldn't even dare bring up.

Plus, this is one of the few adventure games where multiple endings DO have a very big importance in terms of clearing up revelations in the story as opposed to the endings being different due to minor cosmetic or event differences. If I actually finished this game in 2010, it would definitely be one of my top contenders for GOTY (especially since I haven't pulled 6-8 hour single-sitting marathons for a game since Knights of the Old Republic back in 2003).

I may have misread you but
he was in the Nonary game the second time around because Akane wanted to exact revenge on the 4 people who ran the game in the past. He didn't choose to be in it a second time. Additionally, in the past he created the experiment just so he could see faces and he was one of the people running it.

Also interesting new science article yet again that deals with some of the concepts used towards the end of the game, so potential spoilers I guess (just being on the safe side):
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/01/04/132622672/could-it-be-spooky-experiments-that-see-the-future

Just got the
True
Ending! :D

Umm...I’m utterly confused at the moment. I don’t know if it was because I was a little tired, but holy hell did things start to get really confusing really fast!

I’m gonna go highlight the spoilers in this thread and then I'm gonna jump over to the spoiler thread to see if I can make sense of what just happened. :lol

Can someone summarise the ending – basically everything that happened after
Ace confessed.
I mean I understand bits of it but as a whole I’m kinda lost.

Man...I’ve got like 2 million questions I wanna ask, but I think I’m gonna wait for it to all sink in first. I might go and get the
True
Ending again too.

Now, I have two random comments I wanna make:

Random Comment 1:

In the study room, I can’t remember if this is word for word and who exactly said what, but from what I remember this made me laugh quite a bit:

**click on some pipes**

Clover: Its pipes.

**click on the pipes again**

Seven: Its pipes.

**click on the pipes again**

Clover: Give me a ‘P!’

Seven: Give me an ‘I!’

Snake: Give me a ‘P!’

Junpei: Give me an ‘E’ and an ‘S!’ What does it spell? PIPES!

Junpei: .....

Junpei: What are we doing?

That made me laugh! The way they all said it with the shouting pose was really funny.

Random Comment 2:

The whole game up until the very end was like you slowly putting a puzzle together. You finally put in all the pieces when right at the end
June comes up to you and says “LOLOLOL!!! That’s not the whole puzzle! You’ve only put together one piece of the BIGGER puzzle! LOLOLOL!!! I bet you didn’t know that I’m Zero, and that the purpose of this game was intended for something good and not something evil!”
Then you look at the story and then compare it to what you thought you knew when you first started playing and realize just how far you’ve come....how much you’ve learnt....and just how grand the story really is. So good!

Top Bottom