• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Volcynika

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I can't get the true ending...
I didn't get the talk to zero so I got the axe ending. What should I have done differently? Do I have to give the clover to clover?

Last question = yes. If you've seen all the other endings, I'm sure there is a spoiler free way to at least get on the path to the true ending.

Volcynika

sphinx said:
I hated Hotel Dusk Room 215 more than anything on the DS.

Should I stay away from this game??

If you don't care for tons of reading (this game is mostly reading with puzzles), then stay away.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
sphinx said:
I hated Hotel Dusk Room 215 more than anything on the DS.

Should I stay away from this game??
More information? Why did you hate Hotel Dusk so much? If it was that the first few hours were paced like an ant pushing a brick across a desert...yeah, I feel ya, and 999 is much more interesting right off the bat.

sphinx

the piano man
Gunloc said:
I'd imagine most people that would enjoy 999 would also enjoy Hotel Dusk, so it depends why you didn't like Hotel Dusk.

I guess I didn't like Hotel Dusk's premise and execution. Questioning everyone only to unlock even more conversation branches was not fun at all and I was just wanting to end with the conversations as soon as possible to try to find something interesting in the enviroment but no, the problem was clicking to read people's comments WAS the game.

I can see people enjoying reading through that, just not me.

Takuhi

For what it's worth, I hated Hotel Dusk and LOVED 999. Hotel Dusk was sluggish, way overwritten, relied too much on trial and error (asking everyone everything until something happens) and never gave me a reason to care. 999 is somewhat overwritten (it's a hallmark of the genre) but grabs you right off the bat, builds nicely in pacing after an overlong but truly necessary hour of exposition early on, and has a much more satisfying puzzle mechanic. They're really night and day to me.

sphinx said:
I guess I didn't like Hotel Dusk's premise and execution. Questioning everyone only to unlock even more conversation branches was not fun at all and I was just wanting to end with the conversations as soon as possible to try to find something interesting in the enviroment but no, the problem was clicking to read people's comments WAS the game.

There's puzzles and stuff you need to solve but it's VERY story heavy and has long bits telling you story depending on the line you choose. And only gets more story driven the further you go. You don't have to keep interviewing people though, it just gives you options of what to do occasionally through the story.

wrowa

To put it clearly, the adventure parts are just a little bonus. At heart the game is a visual novel; reading is the whole point of the game. If you don't want to read loads of texts in a video game stay away from this game.

999 clearly isn't a game for everyone.

Every single person who can't enjoy this kind of game misses one of the best releases of 2010 and is to be pitied, though.

sphinx said:

If you don't enjoy reading vast amounts of text, than this game is probably not for you. 999 is a lot more fast paced in moving the story along than Hotel Dusk, but there is still a lot of text to read through. (Even more than Hotel Dusk.)

Now, the conversations are automatically initiated for you in this game, as opposed to you exploring and talking to people at your leisure like Hotel Dusk. And the puzzles in 999 are a lot longer than in HD. 999 has entire puzzle rooms that you must solve before moving on as opposed to HD's smaller, stand alone puzzles.

But if Hotel Dusk is really your least favorite game on the DS, then the adventure/visual novel genre just might not be your cup of tea. I personally love Hotel Dusk and 999 and feel they are among the best that the DS has to offer for the genre.

I'd still suggest everyone give it a try, (perhaps renting in your case) but don't expect it to be something completely different than other games of the genre. You will be reading for at least 85% of the game.

Nishastra

Banned
Raxus said:
Ok this is pissing me off, I took a completely different route and got the
sub
ending again.
Heh, that's what happened to me my first two times through. Got the
sub
ending and then on my second time through found a much faster way to the same ending :p

Raxus

I was at least hoping for a different ending even if it was another bad one. Not the same damn ending. It makes me wonder what "mine" I stepped on to deserve this.

I thought I was doing so well too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Raxus said:
Ok this is pissing me off, I took a completely different route and got the
sub
ending again.
Yeah, if I recall
Door 2 always leads to the sub, as does taking door 3 directly from the hospital room

Raxus said:
Should I avoid door 2? Or am I pretty much screwed into a bad ending once Snake dies?
Since you already got the sub ending, you have no reason to go into door 2 again. As for Snake, that doesn't effect the ending directly but it is something you should be mindful of.

Thoraxes said:
Zaraki, I just finished it about 10 mins ago or so.
Your mind will explode. Mine did.

Last night I just finished listening to
Seven’s full story of what he did 9 years ago.

I won’t be able to play it today, but I so can't wait till I finally wrap this all up! :D

Nert

After reading tons of positive impressions for this game on GAF, I decided to go pick up a copy on Amazon today... but yeah, it's in very short supply at the moment and quite expensive. I read somewhere that there should be a restocking of the game soon, though, so I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Nert said:
After reading tons of positive impressions for this game on GAF, I decided to go pick up a copy on Amazon today... but yeah, it's in very short supply at the moment and quite expensive. I read somewhere that there should be a restocking of the game soon, though, so I'm looking forward to picking it up.

We should be receiving our re-order early this week (Aksys online store replenished, yay!), after which, any retailers that have re-orders raring to go (i.e. Amazon) should be re-stocked later this week too :D

ASADOIEIWOIOW4EIOGJWRAIJIOrj#IOJREIOJEJIWIL1J!!!!!i!jiojoriioiojijiljIFJLIDJSLAIJFIOSJFOIJEOIJIEOFJIOAJEFIOJIO!!!!!!!!!!!IOJEIOFEIAWOHRIOJil!1!J1IOJ1IOjioj!ij!ioj!ii!ioJIOIJLFJDSFISDJALJ

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
ASADOIEIWOIOW4EIOGJWRAIJIOrj#IOJREIOJEJIWIL1J!!!!!i!jiojoriioiojijiljIFJLIDJSLAIJFIOSJFOIJEOIJIEOFJIOAJEFIOJIO!!!!!!!!!!!IOJEIOFEIAWOHRIOJil!1!J1IOJ1IOjioj!ij!ioj!ii!ioJIOIJLFJDSFISDJALJ

:lol :lol :lol

Thoraxes

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

:D :lol :D

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

*Passes out*

en71g.gif

Wow... Definitely in my top 3 of all time, possibly my favorite game. There's been plenty of games I've enjoyed playing immensely but I can't remember the last time I had this much fun or excitement playing a game. Absolutely amazing.

As for the other games the guy who wrote this made, were any of them ever made in english or are they all japan only? If they're japan only, why the fuck haven't you localized them yet Aksys? :p

And for the ending,
That mummy showing up at the end was totally a troll attempt by the writer. Totally killed the mood just to dick with you. :lol

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wow... Definitely in my top 3 of all time, possibly my favorite game. There's been plenty of games I've enjoyed playing immensely but I can't remember the last time I had this much fun or excitement playing a game. Absolutely amazing.

As for the other games the guy who wrote this made, were any of them ever made in english or are they all japan only? If they're japan only, why the fuck haven't you localized them yet Aksys? :p

And for the ending,
That mummy showing up at the end was totally a troll attempt by the writer. Totally killed the mood just to dick with you. :lol

Ever 17 was localized for PC years ago by another company, but I hear it's pretty hard to find now XD;

I'm really happy that you enjoyed 999 just as much as we did localizing it :D!

Edit: If you enjoyed the true ending, here's a peek at the ending from the 999 Alternative novels Chunsoft released earlier in 2010 :D

Major spoilers!

http://bit.ly/i67MyO

As you'll see, the ending is different with a certain person's daughter making an appearance and a certain couple reuniting :D

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

And for the ending,
Glad you liked it! Definitely a masterpiece.

One of Uchikoshi's previous works, Ever 17, did receive an official English localization on PC by Hirameki International. Sadly, it's out of print and Hirameki is out of business. But it's well worth tracking down! It's easy to tell that it and 999 were written by the same guy. In addition, some of the other titles in the Infinity series Uchikoshi was involved are getting fan translations.

About the very end,
I must confess I was hoping to see Junpei and Akane reunite now that the jig was up, so Alice was a great surprise. Amusing though!

Akselziys said:
Ever 17 was localized for PC years ago by another company, but I hear it's pretty hard to find now XD;

I'm really happy that you enjoyed 999 just as much as we did localizing it :D!

Edit: If you enjoyed the true ending, here's a peek at the ending from the 999 Alternative novels Chunsoft released earlier in 2010 :D

Major spoilers!

As you'll see, the ending is different with a certain person's daughter making an appearance and a certain couple reuniting :D

:O Are they in English at all those novels? And ya, that Ever 17 or whatever I can't find mentioned besides on wikipedia. I can only find a japanese ps2 version from googling and ebay but I don't know japanese. :(

hosannainexcelsis said:
Glad you liked it! Definitely a masterpiece.

One of Uchikoshi's previous works, Ever 17, did receive an official English localization on PC by Hirameki International. Sadly, it's out of print and Hirameki is out of business. But it's well worth tracking down! It's easy to tell that it and 999 were written by the same guy. In addition, some of the other titles in the Infinity series Uchikoshi was involved are getting fan translations.

About the very end,
I must confess I was hoping to see Junpei and Akane reunite now that the jig was up, so Alice was a great surprise. Amusing though!

In response to the ending,
I did too, always have to wish for the happy ending. I wish it would have shown one more scene with them together after the whole ordeal but I still wasn't disappointed.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And for the ending,
I thought that was very stupid, honestly.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:O Are they in English at all those novels? And ya, that Ever 17 or whatever I can't find mentioned besides on wikipedia. I can only find a japanese ps2 version from googling and ebay but I don't know japanese. :(

Unfortunately the novels are only in Japanese XD;
The first novel has chapters 0-4 and the second novel has chapters 5-9 :D I'm really interested in what happens in them though, especially at the end :D Since that ending pic is a total tease :)

Akselziys said:

Major spoilers!

That picture is exactly what I was hoping to see. Thanks!

As for Ever 17, I found a YouTube playthrough of one of the routes. Hopefully it's OK to post it, since it's out of print anyway. Of course, you're not getting the full experience without the true ending, but it should give you a taste at least!

Top Bottom