• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Roto13 said:
When I played the demo I was like "Oh, crap, it's one of those games where I have to solve the puzzle within a time limit? Fuck that." But then I realized the water wasn't actually rising no matter what I did. :p
This is probably the most pressing game I've ever played that didn't have a time limit. Even without an actual timer, you still feel like the clock is against you. (And I mean that in a good way.)

Danielsan

Man what the hell. Finished this game twice, once yesterday and once today. Got the two worst endings. For crying out loud. Not sure if I want to go through this again. I also don't know where I fucked up.

Really enjoy(ed) the game. Though I liked my first playthough (
submarine ending
) better than the second one (
knife ending
).

LiK

Danielsan said:
Man what the hell. Finished this game twice, once yesterday and once today. Got the two worst endings. For crying out loud. Not sure if I want to go through this again. I also don't know where I fucked up.

submarine ending
knife ending
).

not even the worst ending, imo.

Roto13

Danielsan said:

submarine ending
knife ending
).
You didn't "fuck up." You're supposed to be more likely to get a "bad" ending than a good one. You didn't lose the game by getting those two endings.

Danielsan said:

submarine ending
knife ending
).

There's a chart if you're too lazy to find where you "messed up" or just try doors you haven't yet.

Danielsan

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
There's a chart if you're too lazy to find where you "messed up" or just try doors you haven't yet.
Well I'm not too lazy to find it out myself, using a chart would take out the fun. It's just that I suspect that, unlike my second play through, I will have to redo a ton of earlier puzzles that I've already done, which is less than fun.

Roto13

Danielsan said:
Well I'm not too lazy to find it out myself, using a chart would take out the fun. It's just that I suspect that, unlike my second play through, I will have to redo a ton of earlier puzzles that I've already done, which is less than fun.
Yeah, redoing puzzles is bullshit. I started using a chart after I got the sub ending for the second time. :p (That was my third playthrough.)

Belisarius

Neo Member
Roto13 said:
Yeah, redoing puzzles is bullshit. I started using a chart after I got the sub ending for the second time. :p
Well, on your first couple playthroughs, you can get different puzzles if you pick different doors.

Roto13

Belisarius said:
Well, on your first couple playthroughs, you can get different puzzles if you pick different doors.
That's great and everything but I had to play through the game six times to get all of the endings because I got that repeated one once and I was so sick of some of those puzzles by the third playthrough that I started using a guide to tell me the fastest way to solve ones I already solved. If I had kept going without the chart and gotten another repeat ending, I might have just quit before bothering with the two "good" endings.

mrgone

To the Aksys folks: You wouldn't happen to know off-hand if Amazon Canada's getting another shipment of this, would you? It not easy to find up here it seems :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
mrgone said:
To the Aksys folks: You wouldn't happen to know off-hand if Amazon Canada's getting another shipment of this, would you? It not easy to find up here it seems :)

We send a bunch to Amazon US, but unfortunately Amazon Canada didn't order any...

Maybe try Videogames Plus or Play Asia?

Roto13

Or maybe try printing an English/French label next time.
mrgone said:
Where do you live?

mrgone

Akselziys said:
We send a bunch to Amazon US, but unfortunately Amazon Canada didn't order any...

Maybe try Videogames Plus or Play Asia?
Oh, sweet! Both seem to have it in stock. I've been sitting on an amazon.ca rain check for nearly a week now, but they've never been too fantastic about restocking niche handheld stuff! :p

edit: Thanks! You even saved me a dollar - shipping from Play Asia's less than tax from Amazon :)

Roto13 said:
Or maybe try printing an English/French label next time.

Where do you live?
I'm on Vancouver Island. There isn't even a gamestop in town :)

Belisarius

Neo Member
Adam Blade said:
Holy crap, Tuesday is an avatar maestro. I would be honored to have one of his/her animated avatars. *hint hint* :D
Sorry, took me a few days to get the assets:

8NfoH.gif

Roto13

mrgone said:
Oh, sweet! Both seem to have it in stock. I've been sitting on an amazon.ca rain check for nearly a week now, but they've never been too fantastic about restocking niche handheld stuff! :p

edit: Thanks! You even saved me a dollar - shipping from Play Asia's less than tax from Amazon :)

I'm on Vancouver Island. There isn't even a gamestop in town :)
Oh. Yeah, can't help you. :p If you lived in Toronto like the rest of Canada, I'd direct you to Game Centre.

pslong009

Neo Member
Roto13 said:
That's great and everything but I had to play through the game six times to get all of the endings because I got that repeated one once and I was so sick of some of those puzzles by the third playthrough that I started using a guide to tell me the fastest way to solve ones I already solved. If I had kept going without the chart and gotten another repeat ending, I might have just quit before bothering with the two "good" endings.

Yeah, if you're doing this game on your own, it's really handy to take notes as to what paths you've taken and how to solve the puzzles quickly. For the very first puzzle, you don't actually have to get some of the items and can get it done in well under a minute (minus the forced exposition, that is). For other puzzles, yeah, they're annoying, but they should be fairly quick once you know where everything is.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I ordered this last night from the official website. Also, Victoria is one of the nicest places I've ever been to!

Lain

After 1 month and 10 odd days of waiting, I got my copy of the game. Started playing and it's so good. Didn't get very far yet, just when
9 dies and they reopen the door to see all the blood
, but it's really good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I went and picked this up based on the hype. Thus far I've gotten the
knife and sub
endings, although I'm using the GameFAQs flowchart for reference. I wanted to make sure I didn't repeat any endings and that I went through every door.

When people said this game had a lot of text, I got a little worried. But it has less than you guys lead me to believe. I'd say the game is sorta like 50% Choose Your Own Adventure novel and 50% Point-And-Click Adventure game. Although I do appreciate that the point-and-click parts are easier than most in the genre.

Roto13

Really? This game is mostly a book. I don't think I've ever spent this much time reading a game before. Not that I'm complaining. It's kind of long-winded and a little redundant at times but it's pretty well-written and the overall story is definitely interesting.

Danielsan

Roto13 said:
Really? This game is mostly a book. I don't think I've ever spent this much time reading a game before. Not that I'm complaining. It's kind of long-winded and a little redundant at times but it's pretty well-written and the overall story is definitely interesting.
Yeah I would say that the actual game part takes up about 20% at best.

I take back what I said. This game is amazing. Still kind of wish we got to see more rather than just reading about it
like the exploded corpses
and have the text be limited to dialogue.

Anyway, think I'm nearing the end. Only 3 hours left. Unless something completely pisses me off down the line, I'm pretty much guaranteed to check out the other endings.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Roto13 said:

Maybe my 50/50 ratio is off but I don't think it's as much text as I was lead to believe. It's pretty comparable to something like the Ace Attorney series in the "game" department, if not more so.

Roto13

ZealousD said:
Maybe my 50/50 ratio is off but I don't think it's as much text as I was lead to believe. It's pretty comparable to something like the Ace Attorney series in the "game" department, if not more so.
No way. :p Even the story segments in Ace Attorney are part of the game. If you're not paying attention to the story in Ace Attorney, you're going to hit the point where you're not going to be able to progress without guessing. That doesn't happen in 999. The most interaction you get is deciding whether to react positively or negatively to people's stories (or cut them off completely) and picking which door to go through.

In Ace Attorney, you're always playing a game, even when you're reading. In 999, you're not.

ataboada

Well, I just got the game last night. Didn't read much of the thread other than the first few pages, but it must be interesting from all the views and replies it has garnered on this thread. I'm about to start playing it right now =)

LiK

In terms of text, i think AA and 999 are about the same. AA just has mainly speech text but 999 also includes narrative text on the bottom. I mean, both games take a dozen hours to complete so they're both sizeable with the amount of text you need to read.

RedSwirl

Roto13 said:

It's a visual novel. That's what they basically are - choose-your-own adventure books printed on a game disc (or in this case a card). It's probably a minor miracle this game got localized at all.

LiK

RedSwirl said:
It's a visual novel. That's what they basically are - choose-your-own adventure books printed on a game disc (or in this case a card). It's probably a minor miracle this game got localized at all.

*humps Aksys furiously*

Salsa

So should i play this on spanish or english ? (my main language being spanish)

I wanna know if there's anything lost in translation.

Celine

Lain said:
After 1 month and 10 odd days of waiting, I got my copy of the game. Started playing and it's so good. Didn't get very far yet, just when
9 dies and they reopen the door to see all the blood
, but it's really good.
What a coincidense, my game arrived yesterday from AxelMusic. Paid 27 euro, quite happy about it.

LiK

SalsaShark said:

i dunno, but go English for the awesome puns and sexual innuendo.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
SalsaShark said:

The game wasn't translated into Spanish though...

Top Bottom