• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Roto13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are all of the endings easy to find? Like you just keep picking the nongreyed out choices or you have to start mixing and matching at some point?
I dunno. I probably wouldn't have found the true ending without a guide.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Cool thanks. So are there 5 or 6 endings? I only see 5 on that flow chart but 6 boxes on save screen.
There's one ending that cliffhangers, unless you've gotten another ending first in which case you get the True ending.

Roto13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Cool thanks. So are there 5 or 6 endings? I only see 5 on that flow chart but 6 boxes on save screen.
I would really only consider it five endings. If you don't do a certain ending before getting the "true" ending, it will just cut off part way through the true ending and give you an icon for it. If you just get the true ending, you'll get the icon for it and the cut-off ending.

I’m so excited to get the
True Ending
today. :D

The
Safe Ending
pretty much blew me away, and because it was revealing so much stuff I thought for a moment that it might some how be the
True Ending!
:lol

Was it explained how
Ace knew that a hand wasn’t required to activate the RED’s? I know he organized the Nonary game 9 years ago, but wouldn't only Zero know something like that? - No spoilers!

Truly amazing....smart storytelling! The way the game so perfectly drops hints at such a perfect pace and gives the player the opportunity to piece together the bigger puzzle is done flawlessly here.

Now, finally on to the
True Ending!
Don’t spoil anything, but I’m thinking the
True Ending might be a symbolic type of ending? Or more specifically...something to do with transmitting human thought?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m so excited to get the
True Ending
today. :D

The
Safe Ending
pretty much blew me away, and because it was revealing so much stuff I thought for a moment that it might some how be the
True Ending!

Was it explained how
Ace knew that a hand wasn’t required to activate the RED’s? I know he organized the Nonary game 9 years ago, but wouldn't only Zero know something like that? - No spoilers!

Truly amazing....smart storytelling! The way the game so perfectly drops hints at such a perfect pace and gives the player the opportunity to piece together the bigger puzzle is done flawlessly here.

Now, finally on to the
True Ending!
Don’t spoil anything, but I’m thinking the
True Ending might be a symbolic type of ending? Or more specifically...something to do with transmitting human thought?

Less questions, more playing :D !
It's better to not have any foresight and just jump in as a blank slate :)

vall03

hey, same here going to get the True Ending later. Cant wait to get my mind-blown
again after getting the Safe Ending yesterday

What I like about the game is that getting the other endings first makes more sense because all the bits and pieces are slowly revealed and Im just surprised when some new information pops up and think "hey, this was mentioned on the other ending, maybe this has something to with that". Its just a shame a friend of mine used a faq right away to get to the True Ending... :(

MechaX

I decided to pull a single-sitting playthrough with this game since I've been putting it off for awhile and got to the Sub ending as my first ending. To sum up my thoughts...

WHAT IN THE FUCK?!

I thought I was doing good, but EVERYONE ends up dying by some unknown assailant? And with the fact that the killer ended up taking Lotus's bracelet, I ended up busting out the calculator in a hurry. I had a pretty deep suspicion against June the entire game, with her being bat-shit insane. But it would have been utterly impossible for June to get past Junpei after her dramatic death and somehow kill Seven and Lotus. Provided that this isn't some one completely different, it had to be Clover, Santa, or Ace faking their own death in that room.

Okay... I'm going to try this again. So, exactly what ending should I be shooting for in my second playthrough?

MechaX said:
I decided to pull a single-sitting playthrough with this game since I've been putting it off for awhile and got to the Sub ending as my first ending. To sum up my thoughts...

WHAT IN THE FUCK?!

I thought I was doing good, but EVERYONE ends up dying by some unknown assailant? And with the fact that the killer ended up taking Lotus's bracelet, I ended up busting out the calculator in a hurry. I had a pretty deep suspicion against June the entire game, with her being bat-shit insane. But it would have been utterly impossible for June to get past Junpei after her dramatic death and somehow kill Seven and Lotus. Provided that this isn't some one completely different, it had to be Clover, Santa, or Ace faking their own death in that room.

Okay... I'm going to try this again. So, exactly what ending should I be shooting for in my second playthrough?
Just go in rooms you haven't been in yet. Once you've been in all the rooms, you should have some idea of how to aim for the true ending.

Hyunkel6

Also, some of the endings unlock previews (available from the main menu) hinting to which doors to open for the true ending.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Getting the
True Ending
last ads so much more depth to the game! :D

I’d actually recommend looking at a chart to make sure you get it last!
I agree, seeing all the endings is a (somewhat) specific order really adds to the narrative.

Durante

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are all of the endings easy to find? Like you just keep picking the nongreyed out choices or you have to start mixing and matching at some point?
I don't think it's that easy, in the end I basically had to resort to a depth-first search of all the possible paths :lol

I was just reading MechaX’s post again – someone remind me, in the
Submarine Ending did Ace take Lotus’ bracelet? I remember he did for the Knife Ending....

Hyunkel6

Tricky I Shadow said:
I was just reading MechaX’s post again – someone remind me, in the
Submarine Ending did Ace take Lotus’ bracelet? I remember he did for the Knife Ending....
Yeah,
her bracelet was gone. I remember it clearly because it was my first ending, and I was furiously calculating who could benefit from her bracelet
. :lol

Hyunkel6 said:
Yeah,
her bracelet was gone. I remember it clearly because it was my first ending, and I was furiously calculating who could benefit from her bracelet
. :lol

Ahhh ok......some how I had forgotten that small detail. I remembered it in the
Knife Ending
but not the
Submarine Ending.
Well that clears up a few little things for me!

And I didn’t even bother trying to figure out who would benefit from
the 8 bracelet. I mean is it even possible to figure out if you didn’t know Ace had the 9 bracelet?

Oh yeah, completely random but:
Crazy Ace > Crazy Clover. Crazy Clover didn't affect me at all. But when Ace snapped, I felt uncomfortable for a while...

When Ace was confessing and the DS screen when black and faded back to Ace with those crazy eyes with the dark circles under them I kinda freaked out.

LiK

Tricky I Shadow said:
Crazy Ace > Crazy Clover. Crazy Clover didn't affect me at all. But when Ace snapped, I felt uncomfortable for a while...

When Ace was confessing and the DS screen when black and faded back to Ace with those crazy eyes with the dark circles under them I kinda freaked out.

fucking great Ace Attorney moment right? i was creeped out too.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LiK said:
fucking great Ace Attorney moment right? i was creeped out too.
I think that's why it didn't phase me...I've seen it before in the AA games, and more impressively there.

I guess just a simple yes or no since I only have 2 endings left. I've got a question about the story
Do they explain why only the 9th man explodes in the beginning? Since the others had to touch the panel shouldn't the countdown have started on their bracelets also so he wouldn't have been the only one to die?

Roto13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I guess just a simple yes or no since I only have 2 endings left. I've got a question about the story
Do they explain why only the 9th man explodes in the beginning? Since the others had to touch the panel shouldn't the countdown have started on their bracelets also so he wouldn't have been the only one to die?
The countdown only starts once they walk through the door and it closes. Only people who walk through the door start to beep. Wasn't that explained by Snake's card? :p

Roto13 said:
The countdown only starts once they walk through the door and it closes. Only people who walk through the door start to beep. Wasn't that explained by Snake's card? :p

Maybe, I don't remember.
So it only dooms the people who already went in if someone doesn't enter? So like the times Junpei got pulled in because he was taking so long, he would be fine but everyone else would die? I just assumed they were all screwed but I guess not.

Edit: You have to be right because
otherwise snake can't die

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe, I don't remember.
So it only dooms the people who already went in if someone doesn't enter? So like the times Junpei got pulled in because he was taking so long, he would be fine but everyone else would die? I just assumed they were all screwed but I guess not.

Yes.

Roto13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe, I don't remember.

Yeah. There's also that part where
Snake walks through a door and after a few seconds says something like "Do you intend to kill me?" and the others go in after him.
:p

About to get my 4th ending and
Holy Shit, Ace is the President of Cradle Pharmaceuticals? I can't wait until I get the "True Ending" tomorrow. I can only imagine what happens! :D

LiK

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
About to get my 4th ending and
Holy Shit, Ace is the President of Cradle Pharmaceuticals? I can't wait until I get the "True Ending" tomorrow. I can only imagine what happens! :D
No, you cannot imagine what will happen. Prepare to be blown away. :D

Hyunkel6

Tricky I Shadow said:
Ahhh
And I didn’t even bother trying to figure out who would benefit from
the 8 bracelet. I mean is it even possible to figure out if you didn’t know Ace had the 9 bracelet?
It was impossible to find out (I think). At the end of my calculations, I somehow concluded that
Santa and Seven faked their deaths
, and I decided to keep an eye on them during my 2nd playthrough. God, was I wrong. :lol

Korigama

Tricky I Shadow said:

To be honest,
I was actually depressed about Crazy Clover, because I cared about her and was sad to see her suspicion and isolation send her spiraling into madness. Truth be told, I wouldn't have pictured her taking up the ax and killing Junpei or anyone else as anything more than a joke or paranoia, so I was still in shock when they actually had her do such a thing. I didn't care about Crazy Ace coming to pass, and in fact considered the revelation of that as his true nature to be satisfactory because I never liked or trusted him to begin with.

MechaX said:
Provided that this isn't some one completely different, it had to be Clover, Santa, or Ace faking their own death in that room.

You're on the right track.
Keep in mind that Clover was already confirmed dead after they checked her pulse.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm falling asleep so I'll wait until tomorrow to do everything so I can fully enjoy it. Can't wait! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love your reactions! A game hasn't had as many ‘holy shit!’ moments for me as 999. Hell that goes for movies/books too!

vall03

just finished the True Ending and my mind was blown! seriously! one of the best games Ive played! I dare say that I find it somewhat better than Layton and Ace Attorney! For the past three days I have done nothing but play this game and get all possible endings! It was a time well spent :lol

XiaNaphryz

Korigama said:
To be honest,
I was actually depressed about Crazy Clover, because I cared about her and was sad to see her suspicion and isolation send her spiraling into madness. Truth be told, I wouldn't have pictured her taking up the ax and killing Junpei or anyone else as anything more than a joke or paranoia, so I was still in shock when they actually had her do such a thing. I didn't care about Crazy Ace coming to pass, and in fact considered the revelation of that as his true nature to be satisfactory because I never liked or trusted him to begin with.

Keep in mind that Clover was already confirmed dead after they checked her pulse.
Note that she's the only one they bothered to check, likely because they just wanted to touch her. Necro pervs!

vall03

XiaNaphryz said:
Note that she's the only one they bothered to check, likely because they just wanted to touch her. Necro pervs!
oh come one guys, we all know we'd do the same thing in that situation :lol

MechaX

Korigama said:

I replayed the game twice since the last post and got the Axe and Safe endings. And.. well.. the Safe ending pretty much answered most of my questions (as well as create a whole slew of new ones).

But yeah.. My reactions to the Axe Ending:
Holy shit dude, Psycho Clover is the stuff that true nightmares are made out of. Seeing that creepy twisted smile at 1:00am was actually pretty unnerving to say the least. And of course, dead "Zero" threw me for a major loop. And yeah, Ace skyrocketed on my suspicion scale when he was like "Hey Lotus, let me show something to you in this random room we already explored and no, I don't want to have wild sex with you either."

Now the Safe ending...
Yeah, I pretty much figured that Ace would be the "traitor" of the group after the Sub path where Seven discloses Umbrella Inc-Lite's involvement in the last Nonary Game that Santa pretty much reveals Ace to be the CEO of. I also suspected that either Snake or Ace had something to do with the 9th Man's death (Snake because he had that note by Zero, and Ace because he seemed a little... too enthused to go in certain doors and what-not and something always seemed off about him. What I did NOT expect was Snake's body-double, Zero's entire "Game Over.. I was the one that lost," and "lolz the point of the game was for EVERYBODY to survive you guyz got trolled".

Given how Axe and Safe really answered most of my questions concerning the events, I'll probably end up shooting for the True Ending. I have the urge to just do it right now, but I have been playing this game for the past 12-14 hours and I don't even recall marathoning a video game like this in a long time.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So I figured out the issue with saving, I'm such a dumbass. I was hitting B instead of A and I'm so used to the confirmation button being at the bottom of the cross. What threw me off was the message "Could not save" which made me think it was having an error, instead of just backing out of the choice.

Roto13

Apparently I'm the only one who thought
the Axe Murderer Clover ending was more stupid than horrifying. Her "OMG DESCENT INTO MADNESS" or whatever was not even the tiniest bit convincing.

XiaNaphryz

MechaX said:
But yeah.. My reactions to the Axe Ending:
Holy shit dude, Psycho Clover is the stuff that true nightmares are made out of. Seeing that creepy twisted smile at 1:00am was actually pretty unnerving to say the least. And of course, dead "Zero" threw me for a major loop. And yeah, Ace skyrocketed on my suspicion scale when he was like "Hey Lotus, let me show something to you in this random room we already explored and no, I don't want to have wild sex with you either."
Isn't it awesome? :D

MechaX

Roto13 said:
Apparently I'm the only one who thought
the Axe Murderer Clover ending was more stupid than horrifying. Her "OMG DESCENT INTO MADNESS" or whatever was not even the tiniest bit convincing.

I dunno.
I mean, she already kinda lost it when she had to see the twisted remains of her brother who she already had a pretty... close attachment to more than once. She already thought that Zero was one of the members, and she got so caught up with Ace's murder theory that she thought that the only people who could have done it was Santa and Seven and I guess another problem was that literally no one really cared to find out who the murderer was. When she took her "revenge", she probably accidentally killed June and that probably pushed her over the edge

Yeah, it is a bit silly, but given the extreme nature that the characters are in, I'm not entirely expecting completely rational thoughts from them.

Nishastra

Banned
Roto13 said:
Apparently I'm the only one...
Yep. It's not like her problems are limited to
the axe ending. When Snake goes missing, she starts to panic. Then, from the moment "Snake" is found dead, she no longer trusts anyone, and distances herself from the world. She's in a pretty much continual breakdown from that point on if she can't rely on Junpei.

She works out the only people who could have killed her brother, and decides to kill them. This idea doesn't really bother her, as she's quite disconnected. However, she's not actually cold enough to make it through the act of killing them (and June, who just got in the way) unscathed.

It's not really a slow descent. More of a creeping up to a cliff and then jumping off.

I can't get the true ending...
I didn't get the talk to zero so I got the axe ending. What should I have done differently? Do I have to give the clover to clover?

Top Bottom