• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dark Octave said:
A mixture of Mist and what I imagine Professor Layton would be like. Not bad but...

Playing the demo. 7463. This has to be the code, dude. Colored wedges and clear wedges. The numbers match up, so why isn't the case opening? First puzzle of the game and it's already a bitch and a half. Fuck this game.
Yeah i started playing the game last night and had that same problem. I tried doing random things with the numbers like flipping the piece of paper around.:lol then i realized later on there was actually a few things in the room i missed.>_>

Finally finished the demo. I was actually missing one more thing. Thanks guys for telling me that I was still missing items. I honestly thought I had everything and could look nowhere else.

Haven't had to break out the pen and paper for a game in a while.

They could have started this one off a little easier but it does seem like an awesome game if you have the time and patience for it.

Maybe I'll pick this up someday if I'm in the mood to grow some more gray hairs.

I feel like I just won a fucking Oscar. Thanks to everyone who supported me through this great ordeal.

Roto13

The thing that bugged me about the demo/first puzzle is that it spends so much time explaining shit to you. Like you figure out the code for the suitcase and then it explains how to poke a number and you forget the damn code. Then it tells you again. Glad that's a one-time deal. (The explaining. You have to do the stupid puzzle every time you start over. xP)

Damn, 3 endings so far and none of them good. Does anyone actually get a good one on their first try?

Anyway, got the one where
everyone dies. Kinda kills my "last one alive" theory regarding Ace unless he was just faking it.

Hope I don't fuck up anything on this next playthrough since it's at the point where I've been in every door at least once. Just gonna pick a combination and hope I don't have to do it again.

Roto13

There are two important endings and three less important endings. There are multiple ways to get the less important endings but only one way each to get the more important endings. You're much more likely to get a "bad" ending than a "good" ending.

There's a flowchart you can use that's very vaguely spoilery.

Roto13 said:
The thing that bugged me about the demo/first puzzle is that it spends so much time explaining shit to you. Like you figure out the code for the suitcase and then it explains how to poke a number and you forget the damn code. Then it tells you again. Glad that's a one-time deal. (The explaining. You have to do the stupid puzzle every time you start over. xP)
The slow text is the game's biggest flaw.

I read about 3-4x faster than the game would allow me to. I know it sometimes likes to reveal text at different speed for impact, but let me have an instant option for paragraphs.

cosmicblizzard said:
Damn, 3 endings so far and none of them good. Does anyone actually get a good one on their first try?

Anyway, got the one where
everyone dies. Kinda kills my "last one alive" theory regarding Ace unless he was just faking it.

Hope I don't fuck up anything on this next playthrough since it's at the point where I've been in every door at least once. Just gonna pick a combination and hope I don't have to do it again.

To your first question: probably not

And don't fret about the endings. Getting them all is such a key part of the experience, you're doing great. Getting the bad endings is essential to get the full impact of the true ending. So enjoy them!

Roto13

The text speed didn't really bother me. It's faster than a lot of games. Even some text heavy adventure games.

Even one of the good endings is kind of a bad ending if you don't do the other good ending first. So that means there's a 1/12 chance of getting a good ending your first time.

I have no idea why, but I'm actually starting to suspect
Snake. There's still so many mysteries surrounding his death that I'm not entirely convinced that's his pile of remains in the shower room.

Well, I'm halfway through my 4th playthrough, so I'll know soon enough if I'm right or not.

Edit: Oh wow, I was more right than I thought I would be. Should've gone with my first gut.

Edit 2:
This is like a case villain breakdown in one of the Ace Attorney games but not as funny 0_o

cosmicblizzard said:
Edit 2:
This is like a case villain breakdown in one of the Ace Attorney games but not as funny 0_o
hahaha. So true. Not sure if you reached it yet but when
the true villain shows himself and their eyes turn all dark and shadowy
it was just like Phoenix Wright.

ATTN Belisarius. Any chance you could throw together a Santa gif for me please :D

Roto13

diablopanqueque said:
ATTN Belisarius. Any chance you could throw together a Santa gif for me please :D
Actually, I would like to request a Seven or Ace gif, if it's not too much trouble, pleaseandthankyou. My avatar is getting stale.

Almost got the True Ending now. In the
library. Since the end of the Safe playthrough, I kind of figured Santa was Zero, or at least an accomplice. That thing about light and darkness reminded me of his story of the black and white Santa he told earlier. The dates also matched up with the previous Nonary game. It became more and more clear as the True playthrough went on.

Gonna jog then finish this up. Hope the ending absolutely blows my mind even if I think I've already figured everything out.

LiK

cosmicblizzard said:
Almost got the True Ending now. In the
library. Since the end of the Safe playthrough, I kind of figured Santa was Zero, or at least an accomplice. That thing about light and darkness reminded me of his story of the black and white Santa he told earlier. The dates also matched up with the previous Nonary game. It became more and more clear as the True playthrough went on.

Gonna jog then finish this up. Hope the ending absolutely blows me mind even if I think I've already figured everything out.

heehee, you have no idea. :)

I just reached Door 6
with Santa, Ace, and June after finding Snake's dead body
and the game is very intriguing so far. I have tons of questions naturally, but I'm rather blown away that people are insinuating that the ending is mindblowing even after beating the game 4 or 5 times. This plot must be completely unlike what I've made it out to be so far.

Belisarius

Neo Member
diablopanqueque said:
hahaha. So true. Not sure if you reached it yet but when
the true villain shows himself and their eyes turn all dark and shadowy
it was just like Phoenix Wright.

IT IS DONE

hMrIm.gif

Roto13 said:
Actually, I would like to request a Seven or Ace gif, if it's not too much trouble, pleaseandthankyou. My avatar is getting stale.

IT IS ALSO DONE

EdQbP.gif

hamchan

On my second playthrough now. I don't trust
Ace or Santa
at all but I still like the latter. Hopefully I can get a conclusive ending this time, if not I'm using a guide on my 3rd playthrough. I must know the truth damn it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
hamchan said:
On my second playthrough now. I don't trust
Ace or Santa
at all but I still like the latter. Hopefully I can get a conclusive ending this time, if not I'm using a guide on my 3rd playthrough. I must know the truth damn it.
You're really not going to get a conclusive ending until you manage to get the true ending, which means you need to finish the game at least two more times. And you'd be doing yourself a disservice in avoiding the other endings since there's story bits unique along the way to those endings. Never mind that everything is explained/interconnected in some way.

This game doesn't follow traditional game design in terms of conveying an end to the story.

hamchan

XiaNaphryz said:
You're really not going to get a conclusive ending until you manage to get the true ending, which means you need to finish the game at least two more times. And you'd be doing yourself a disservice in avoiding the other endings since there's story bits unique along the way to those endings. Never mind that everything is explained/interconnected in some way.

This game doesn't follow traditional game design in terms of conveying an end to the story.
Alright I'll keep playing without a guide. Just got another bad end, more disturbing than the first one >_>

Belisarius

Neo Member
Nishastra said:
You are clearly some kind of god. Could you perhaps make me an avatar that involves Clover and Snake in some way? :p

And the men and women of the plains did gather and raise their voices in supplication that He might hear of their plight, and lo did He appear, and he spake unto them

THIS TOO, IT IS ALSO DONE

mMDy4.gif

Also it is now the weekend, and I don't have Photoshop or the sprites at home, so there will be no more .gifs forged by my hand until the day of Tuesday the 18th of January in this, the year of our Lord 2011.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Belisarius said:
And the men and women of the plains did gather and raise their voices in supplication that He might hear of their plight, and lo did did He appear, and he spake unto them

THIS TO IS DONE

mMDy4.gif
All praise be to him who wields the power of Subsequent Changes, and he who holds the access to the raw resource files!

Belisarius said:
And the men and women of the plains did gather and raise their voices in supplication that He might hear of their plight, and lo did He appear, and he spake unto them

THIS TOO, IT IS ALSO DONE

mMDy4.gif

LOL! I may have to request an avatar as well down the line, if only to help spread word on GAF.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
hamchan said:
Alright I'll keep playing without a guide. Just got another bad end, more disturbing than the first one >_>
You may end up with a repeat ending just by going through doors you haven't gone yet, but I think you'll only see one repeat that way. Eventually, you may need a guide to get the final 2 endings, but it'll be okay at that point. ;)

truly101 said:
So far I've gotten sub and coffin. I'll try for safe tonight
You should at least get another bad one or two first. :p

Lain

Was an avatar already requested/done with June surprise animation when talking with Junpei about the Titanic? Cause if not, I'd request it! It was a funny expression of surprise she had.

I was wondering, does answering wrong to the first couple of questions make any difference? I answered right, but still would like to know.

All right,
Seven just got all his memory back
so I'm assuming I'm at the end. Time for some last minute theories.

1. The mind of Akane was somehow salvaged and put in an artificial body made to look like her. This is foreshadowed by the conversation Junpei and Clover have regarding whether someone is really them when the body parts are different.
2. June is Zero.
3. Junpei has dissociative identity disorder and is actually Zero.
4. All of this is Junpei's dying dream.
5. Zero is actually Junpei from a separate playthrough. Would explain the "I lost" at the end of the Safe ending. He would also be the one transmitting the knowledge he learned in said ending.
6. It turns out everyone is actually on the Titanic and Zero is Leonardo Dicaprio.
7. June is Alice.

That's all I got. This has become very hard to predict.

cosmicblizzard said:
All right,

1. The mind of Akane was somehow salvaged and put in an artificial body made to look like her. This is foreshadowed by the conversation Junpei and Clover have regarding whether someone is really them when the body parts are different.
2. June is Zero.
5. Zero is actually Junpei from a separate playthrough. Would explain the "I lost" at the end of the Safe ending. He would also be the one transmitting the knowledge he learned in said ending.
6. It turns out everyone is actually on the Titanic and Zero is Leonardo Dicaprio.
7. June is Alice.

You're actually right about #6.

hamchan

Ok finished the game for the third time and got the 6th ending. It was the
"The end ..is it?" ending. WTF, WHAT IS GOING ON!? I got some good Seven and Lotus backstory this playthrough.

Need to replay again :O

Korigama

cosmicblizzard said:
All right,

2. June is Zero.
7. June is Alice.

Heh, reading the theories from new players really is part of the fun (I still remember when my thoughts were going a mile a minute examining the possibilities myself, good times). That said,
one of the things on your list is indeed true

LiK

Korigama said:
Heh, reading the theories from new players really is part of the fun (I still remember when my thoughts were going a mile a minute examining the possibilities myself, good times). That said,
one of the things on your list is indeed true

it makes us feel like the writers of LOST.

Got a bad ending. This is the first time that I beat the game.
So Ace killed Lotus in this ending?! As well as killing Junpei ... WTF, I had no suspicions on Ace at all, nor did I believe that Junpei would actually die so abruptly. I was pulling for him, feeling that the cliche shounen protagonist always survives, but I sure as hell was wrong. Ace played the oji-san role too well during the game! But, it's inspired me to continue on my second playthrough.

Top Bottom