• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

LM4sure

Banned
So I got the game the other day and I've put in about an hour or so. Most of that was just reading all the dialogue. So I haven't really played much at all.

Interesting story thus far, but how do the multiple endings work? Do you have to unlock all the endings to get the good one?

Volcynika

LM4sure said:
So I got the game the other day and I've put in about an hour or so. Most of that was just reading all the dialogue. So I haven't really played much at all.

Interesting story thus far, but how do the multiple endings work? Do you have to unlock all the endings to get the good one?

Only one specific ending is required to be able to access the true ending.

wrowa

LM4sure said:
You are aware that you bought a visual novel, aren't you?

Okay, got the 2nd ending
(one where you get stabbed)
and I'm starting to put the pieces together. Here's what I've deduced (No one tell me if I'm right or wrong)

Ace is Zero. The most obvious reason is Lotus' death. In the other ending, he had to show her something. This was obviously his dick the knife he used to stab her with. Him being Zero would also explain why he'd have no problem staying behind in the hospital room seeing as he'd know the doors connected. He could also shove Snake into the 3 door with the help of the 0 band (the man wearing it may be an accomplice or a player from a previous nonary game and given a condition for escape). In addition to this, there's a more subtle hint in him saying "good job" or whatever to Junpei all the time when he figured stuff out, wanting the players to succeed as much as possible for whatever reason. Then there's the fact he and Clover are the only ones alive between the 2 endings I've seen, and Clover is just insane.

Alternate Deduction!

Ace was a previous player of the Nonary game and somehow took over in a Saw twist.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, got the 2nd ending
and I'm starting to put the pieces together. Here's what I've deduced (No one tell me if I'm right or wrong)

Ace is Zero. The most obvious reason is Lotus' death. In the other ending, he had to show her something. This was obviously his dick the knife he used to stab her with. Him being Zero would also explain why he'd have no problem staying behind in the hospital room seeing as he'd know the doors connected. He could also shove Snake into the 3 door with the help of the 0 band (the man wearing it may be an accomplice or a player from a previous nonary game and given a condition for escape). In addition to this, there's a more subtle hint in him saying "good job" or whatever to Junpei all the time when he figured stuff out, wanting the players to succeed as much as possible for whatever reason. Then there's the fact he and Clover are the only ones alive between the 2 endings I've seen, and Clover is just insane.

Alternate Deduction!

Ace was a previous player of the Nonary game and somehow took over in a Saw twist.
Very interesting theories. You're right about some vague ideas, wrong about others. Keep us posted of your speculations!

hipgnosis

Got the True Endin today and damn, this game really is phenomenal. The writing is interesting and very well done throughout and the plot twists really made a hit.

The ending was mindblowing and awesome in many ways. This game has probably the best plot I've ever seen in a video game. Really liked the sounds and the music so guys make sure you play this with your headphones on!

Good work on the localization Akselziys and Tuesday! So well written and so many awesome references. Really enjoyed my multiple playthroughs.

LM4sure

Banned
wrowa said:
You are aware that you bought a visual novel, aren't you?

Dude, calm down. I wasn't knocking the game. Although Hotel Dusk was the same type of game, and I felt there was quite a bit of gameplay in that one. But again, I've only put about an hour into 999 so just calm down.

Danielsan

LM4sure said:
Dude, calm down. I wasn't knocking the game. Although Hotel Dusk was the same type of game, and I felt there was quite a bit of gameplay in that one. But again, I've only put about an hour into 999 so just calm down.
The front is heavily loaded with text. The back end gets more puzzly.

Roto13

LM4sure said:
Why don't you calm down? Nobody is biting your head off here. Chill out. But Hotel Dusk is closer to a point-and-click adventure than a visual novel.

moojuice

Neo Member
The
Coffin
ending is such a kick in the nuts. Got it my second play through, and when I realized I had to
re-do the same exact play through later on
, I almost didn't want to finish the game anymore. Glad I stuck with it though.

LM4sure

Banned
Roto13 said:
Why don't you calm down? Nobody is biting your head off here. Chill out. But Hotel Dusk is closer to a point-and-click adventure than a visual novel.

Why don't YOU?

Jeez, some people get so defensive...I wasn't even knocking the game! :lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
LM4sure said:
Why don't YOU?

Jeez, some people get so defensive...I wasn't even knocking the game! :lol

Uh... no one said you were. There's only one person here getting unnecessarily defensive... ;)

Anyway, for anyone still interested in getting this game, the game (plus watch) is for sale on the company's website for 37 bucks.

http://www.aksysgames.com/store/

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So just got the game this weekend and played up to the third puzzle...

Not really liking what I've played so far. Most of the puzzles are just typical Silent Hill type puzzles and the story is too much Saw/Gantz plot. I know that it gets a lot more interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it.

And plus something else that really bothers me about this game is the text speed. I am a FAST reader, and it bothers me to no end how I have to wait for the dialog text to finish before I can move on... yeah not a big deal but wish I could just hit a button to display all the text at once.

... I might give this game another hour or so and then call it. I know it's a slow start and from reading all the posts I know it gets a lot more interesting, but so far the story hasn't grabbed me at all. I feel like I've already seen/played most of this from Saw, obviously, and a lot from Gantz (Anime/Magna).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I finished it.

What. The. Fuck.

Adam Prime said:
... I might give this game another hour or so and then call it. I know it's a slow start and from reading all the posts I know it gets a lot more interesting, but so far the story hasn't grabbed me at all. I feel like I've already seen/played most of this from Saw, obviously, and a lot from Gantz (Anime/Magna).

From what little I know about Saw and Gantz, the story goes far beyond the concepts of the game and the escapes.

You might be running into some long and strange "psuedoscience" conversations. Those are a better indication of where the story goes.

Roto13

I don't think it starts off slow at all.

I haven't seen Saw, but I don't think it's like that. It's definitely not like Gantz except for the fact that it's a game and
there's a threat of explosion for non-compliance.

Hylian7

moojuice said:
The
Coffin
ending is such a kick in the nuts. Got it my second play through, and when I realized I had to
re-do the same exact play through later on
, I almost didn't want to finish the game anymore. Glad I stuck with it though.
I'm probably the only person that holds this opinion, but....

I'm glad I got the Coffin ending before I got the Safe and True endings later. It just made the true ending that much more satisfying when I knew the answer this time to the puzzle, when in that reality Junpei didn't know the answer, but then revisiting that same situation, he did because of the Safe ending. It was a nice touch for the game, and was glad I saw the Coffin ending first.

Korigama

Hylian7 said:

I'm glad I got the Coffin ending before I got the Safe and True endings later. It just made the true ending that much more satisfying when I knew the answer this time to the puzzle, when in that reality Junpei didn't know the answer, but then revisiting that same situation, he did because of the Safe ending. It was a nice touch for the game, and was glad I saw the Coffin ending first.

Actually, I agree with this.
The coffin ending was the first one I earned, and it did quite a lot to build things up as I checked out the other endings

Hylian7 said:

Totally agree. I very much doubt you'd be the only person to feel that way. And that was exactly how it worked for me. My last 3 endings:
coffin
->
safe
->
true

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
To anyone who ordered from the official website: am I going to get a confirmation email when the game actually ships from the publisher's warehouse, like I did for order confirmation?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mutagenic said:
To anyone who ordered from the official website: am I going to get a confirmation email when the game actually ships from the publisher's warehouse, like I did for order confirmation?

Yeah, you'll get a notice when it ships.

Total reversal on the bitching I did about the game earlier. In my defense, the first hour is pretty lame. Right around the hospital room, the game started to really suck me in.

One awesome little detail: Last night I realized the text bleeps are a different tone for each character!

A mixture of Mist and what I imagine Professor Layton would be like. Not bad but...

Playing the demo. 7463. This has to be the code, dude. Colored wedges and clear wedges. The numbers match up, so why isn't the case opening? First puzzle of the game and it's already a bitch and a half. Fuck this game.

Dark Octave said:
I found the
key
already...I'll keep looking. This game is already frustrating.
The first puzzle probably has the most frustrating item placement in the entire game.

Always click everything.

Gunloc said:
The first puzzle probably has the most frustrating item placement in the entire game.

Always click everything.
Found the
red key so that makes one blue and one red.
Still haven't figured it out but I'll keep trying. Thanks for the tips.

cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, got the 2nd ending

Alternate Deduction!

Love reading stuff like this!

Roto13

Dark Octave said:
A mixture of Mist and what I imagine Professor Layton would be like. Not bad but...

Playing the demo. 7463. This has to be the code, dude. Colored wedges and clear wedges. The numbers match up, so why isn't the case opening? First puzzle of the game and it's already a bitch and a half. Fuck this game.
There are two keys/suitcases/slips of paper. If you have them all, then... yeah... I don't know what to tell you.

Side note: Layton is a very different kind of game.

Roto13 said:
There are two keys/suitcases/slips of paper. If you have them all, then... yeah... I don't know what to tell you.

Side note: Layton is a very different kind of game.
I just found the
red suitcase
. Dude really, this is a bit much for the very first puzzle of the game and a demo at that.

Maybe I need to take a break to reset my thinking but the addition of the
second suitcase
has completely thrown me for a loop now.

And the music is like Streets of Rage 3, horrible.

Dark Octave said:
I just found the
red suitcase
. Dude really, this is a bit much for the very first puzzle of the game and a demo at that.

Maybe I need to take a break to reset my thinking but the addition of the
second suitcase
has completely thrown me for a loop now.

And the music is like Streets of Rage 3, horrible.
What items do you have in total? Don't forget about the combine command.

Roto13

Well,
there's a red key and a blue key and red shapes and blue shapes. It stands to reason there would be a red suitcase if there's a blue suitcase. Also the big curtain in the corner of the room kind of begs to be searched.

Hyunkel6

Dark Octave said:
I found the
key
already...I'll keep looking. This game is already frustrating.
I had the exact same feeling for the 1st puzzle. It even made me give up on the game for 3-4 days. Once I got past it though (by clicking on EVERYTHING), I couldn't put the game down. I got all the endings back to back, with some insane marathon sessions until 4-5 am. The amount of sleep I lost... :p

Gunloc said:
What items do you have in total? Don't forget about the combine command.
Pic of old cruise liner, flipped over.

Note from bulletin board, flipped over.

Red Key, in red case.

Blue key, in blue case.

Dark Octave said:

Red Key, in red case.

Blue key, in blue case.

If you want a hint for help with this puzzle, here:
check the beds and their pillows
. I'm pretty sure what you're missing is
the second set of shapes

I actually had a bit of trouble finding it in the demo, but it's probably the only frustration I had with the game in its entirety.

Dark Octave said:

Red Key, in red case.

Blue key, in blue case.
Is the
picture of the cruise liner still in it's frame?

Gunloc said:
Is the
picture of the cruise liner still in it's frame?
No I used the
screw driver to get it out of the frame.

I'm pressed for time. I have some things to get to and the GF is sighing at me. I'll have to come back to it later.

Oh, it's on now! I won't let this first little puzzle beat me. I'll be back.

Thanks you guys for the tips.

Dark Octave said:
No I used the
screw driver to get it out of the frame.

I'm pressed for time. I have some things to get to and the GF is sighing at me. I'll have to come back to it later.

Oh, it's on now! I won't let this first little puzzle beat me. I'll be back.

Thanks you guys for the tips.
I'm glad you're gonna give it another shot.

You're very close to having what you need to continue. Search everywhere.

Roto13 said:
Well it's almost solved for you now. :p
Well, they didn't really help me except telling me to "search everything" (which was a big help actually). I already figured out the rest on my own, but I do appreciate the help anyways. Yeah I think
I just gotta figure out what the hell those numbers and shapes mean in correlation to the two cases.

A set of gray shapes with numbers, below a set of white shaped with numbers, a red case and a blue case, then another scrap of paper with two white shapes, a red shape and a blue shape.

WTF!?

OK, I really gotta go now.

AniHawk

Dark Octave said:
Well, they didn't really help me except telling me to "search everything" (which was a big help actually). I already figured out the rest on my own, but I do appreciate the help anyways. Yeah I think
I just gotta figure out what the hell those numbers and shapes mean in correlation to the two cases.

A set of gray shapes with numbers, below a set of white shaped with numbers, a red case and a blue case, then another scrap of paper with two white shapes, a red shape and a blue shape.

WTF!?

OK, I really gotta go now.

you're looking at the arrows right? Because I think the digits you had are correct

Top Bottom