• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

AcciDante

XiaNaphryz said:
Did you search absolutely everything in the room? You might not have all the items yet.
...I think so.
blue key is in the brief case, then I have a red key, a card with the 4 shapes on it, and the picture with the numbers and shapes on the back. Is that it?

LiK

AcciDante said:
Just got this from Gamefly and I can't figure the first puzzle. I might be too dumb to play this :( I've tried all sorts of combos from that card and picture, but none work! Maybe I'm looking at the card wrong?
Check everything. Your life depends on it!

wrowa

AcciDante said:
...I think so.
blue key is in the brief case, then I have a red key, a card with the 4 shapes on it, and the picture with the numbers and shapes on the back. Is that it?
Check the
pillow of one of the beds

Roto13 said:
That's actually one of the good endings. :p Way to fluke and get the Safe ending on the first go.
Wait....WHAT? THAT'S A GOOD ENDING? LOL. If that's a good ending, the other endings must be even more twisted. I love this game. I'll continue playing later.

RedSwirl said:
As soon as I reached the engine room and cargo area I started to suspect
Ace. I don't know, but he started to sound like someone who was in control of the game, or at least had some knowledge of it that he wasn't supposed to have, and he was one of the only people perfectly placed to have killed (well, tried to kill) Snake.

When I first got the game, off of appearances, I always suspected Seven. I still have my suspicions over him not "remembering anything." I also have my suspicions on Lotus, but then again I don't know all of her story; I only know that she's somehow a leet haxor/really good with computers. In all honesty, I have suspicions on the whole cast after finishing the game and getting that ending. :lol

Korigama

spindashing said:
Wait....WHAT? THAT'S A GOOD ENDING? LOL. If that's a good ending, the other endings must be even more twisted. I love this game. I'll continue playing later.

Just kidding, I'm sure.
There's exactly one good ending. What you got was the Knife ending, which is by far the least devastating bad ending: you'll long for it after you see the actual Safe ending

Korigama said:
Just kidding, I'm sure.
There's exactly one good ending. What you got was the Knife ending, which is by far the least devastating bad ending: you'll long for it after you see the actual Safe ending
...Wow. If that's the case, I really have to say that this game is one of the most well written games that I've ever played. It's also one of the most, if not the very most fucked up games ever. I thought that ending was messed up personally and now I hear that things get worse and the ending I saw was tame in comparison to the others.

LiK said:
hehe, two V-Joe avatars in a row.

Yeah, and we're both surrounded by June avatars.
01laugh.gif

Love this game. The only visual novel games I'm familiar with are the Ace Attorney series and while I loved the AA series, I was skeptical about this game for some reason. I'm thankful I kept going. The story is just so compelling.

spindashing said:
Yeah, and we're both surrounded by June avatars.
01laugh.gif

Love this game. The only visual novel games I'm familiar with are the Ace Attorney series and while I loved the AA series, I was skeptical about this game for some reason. I'm thankful I kept going. The story is just so compelling.
For the love of God make sure you pick up Ghost Trick as well. That game is so fucking cool. Oh, and also Hotel Dusk cause that's a classic on DS.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
For the love of God make sure you pick up Ghost Trick as well. That game is so fucking cool. Oh, and also Hotel Dusk cause that's a classic on DS.
I will. A friend just bought Ghost Trick and he's too busy playing Re:Coded to care about it now, so I'll borrow that as soon as I can.

I'll look into Hotel Dusk too. Thanks!

Jazzem

Got myself the forth ending...

With the way that one went, I was honestly beginning to think it was the true ending and I had managed to fluke it (I looked at a guide for which door combination to go through, kinda wish I made a note of what doors I went through on each playthrough in retrospective. Crazy ending though.

Gonna try and go for the second and then the first one now :)

EDIT: Can someone give me a spoiler free solution on how to get the ending for the 2nd icon? I know that flowchart is going about but I don't want to know the name of the endings.

Feep

Banned
So, I have now obtained the
coffin, sub, and safe
endings. I believe I can go for the true ending now...should I? Are the other two endings worth it? I honestly don't like running through the entire game multiple times; I think it's needlessly boring.

hipgnosis

Feep said:
coffin, sub, and safe
endings. I believe I can go for the true ending now...should I? Are the other two endings worth it? I honestly don't like running through the entire game multiple times; I think it's needlessly boring.
Go for the True Ending if you feel like it. The important thing is to experience at least that one and you shouldn't exhaust yourself with the other endings.

Korigama

Jazzem said:
EDIT: Can someone give me a spoiler free solution on how to get the ending for the 2nd icon? I know that flowchart is going about but I don't want to know the name of the endings.

Answer not spoiling the order:
the way you get it and the 1st ending icon are the same, down to doors and decisions; if you got the Safe ending already, you'll be skipped straight to ending 1 and awarded the icon for ending 2 as a bonus upon completion

Spoiler for the order/decisions:
[4] (taking the bookmark from Santa and hearing June out/asking if the ship could be a replica of the Titanic) --> [7] (asking Seven about Ice-9 and giving the bookmark to Clover) --> [1]

Feep said:
coffin, sub, and safe

I'd say
the Ax ending
is worth it. Getting
the Knife ending
is more of a completionist thing than anything else. Of course, I played eight times without help to make sure I got them all myself, but that's me...

LiK

Feep said:
coffin, sub, and safe

all endings are worth it. take a break if you need to. :)

The amount of mileage they pulled from such a simple concept is staggering. Without spoiling anything, its one of the types of stories that I would never want to see a sequel to for fear of it not being able to deliver the same style of content. I understand that numbers are infinite, but I think the writers pulled just about everything out of the premise they set up. For anyone who is on the fence about replaying to get the
...true...
ending, please do yourself a favor and give it a go. It was a bit hard for me initially since I rarely play the same game twice, especially a story driven one such as this...but let me tell you...it is worth every bit of time you put in to it. I usually don't care for gaming stories, and I will stop playing a game if I'm being force fed a bad one which I can't skip, but this one here just keeps getting better and better. At one point, I actually almost wished I could skip the puzzles(something I absolutely love) out of the building anxiety of what would happen next.

Shit gets that good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Feep said:
coffin, sub, and safe
Knife isn't a big deal, but Axe is pretty worth seeing

abstract alien said:
The amount of mileage they pulled from such a simple concept is staggering. Without spoiling anything, its one of the types of stories that I would never want to see a sequel to for fear of it not being able to deliver the same style of content. I understand that numbers are infinite, but I think the writers pulled just about everything out of the premise they set up. For anyone who is on the fence about replaying to get the
...true...
ending, please do yourself a favor and give it a go. It was a bit hard for me initially since I rarely play the same game twice, especially a story driven one such as this...but let me tell you...it is worth every bit of time you put in to it. I usually don't care for gaming stories, and I will stop playing a game if I'm being force fed a bad one which I can't skip, but this one here just keeps getting better and better. At one point, I actually almost wished I could skip the puzzles(something I absolutely love) out of the building anxiety of what would happen next.

Shit gets that good.

Very true......people who complain about going thorough the game multiple times – which is pretty understandable, don’t understand the importance of it.

Without spoiling anything, it will make the finale, the final twist a lot more impact full! It’s a case of thinking outside the box. It's certainly worth the effort!

hamchan

So I finished all the endings, just got the true one. Well, >_>, what the hell, I'm going to read the spoiler thread now.

Awesome game, will recommend to everyone.

I think I'm going to try Ever 17 now since it's also critically acclaimed and is written by the same guy who led the design on 999.

Feep said:
Okay, just went through and got the
axe
ending...worth it = D

Let's do this noise, for real now

that ending was so fucked up.
and even after I saw the bloodied bracelets of Santa, Seven, and June then Clover start to sweet talking me, I actually felt like wanting to come with her. I mean, I think I've been feeling pretty close to her. so I'm glad when Junpei actually start to willingly go with her and extend his hands... and then BAM axe to my hand. that is so fucked up, I honestly thought she genuinely ask me to join her. afterall I've been pretty kind to her

Shadow Red said:
Wow, 999 is temporarily sold out again at the Aksys store.

Awesome. I love it when these niche, underdog type games do well. It's too bad a studio like Clover never got a break out hit (sadface). I'm hoping that this prompts a drive to develop more stellar text driven adventure games.

Kintaco

Wow just decided to read up on this game and I tried the demo. I'm hooked! I need to buy the game, was hoping Amazon would have it since I have some credit on there, but it was sold out :(

RedSwirl

Got the true ending, still have two questions. I just need to know if they are answered by getting the other endings. If not I'll just roll over to the spoiler thread:
1. Do they ever explain the apparent time paradox presented by Akane existing in the present with not only her body, but also enough of her mind to recognize Junpei AND become the next Zero? Even if it is some kind of predestine thing where Junpei will always have rescued Akane, that still presents a time paradox.

2. Do we ever figure out why Lotus was there in the first place? She was the only one for whom I haven't seen a backstory explaining any connection to all this. All I know is that she is a leet haxor, she's dressed like an Egyptian chick, and she has the same hairstyle and color as one of the girls from Seven's flashback.

Shadow Red said:
Wow, 999 is temporarily sold out again at the Aksys store.
Bu...bu...but there's no market for visual novels in North America!

Note to other localization houses, the develop a market for a genre, you actual have to release something in that genre. (And give the game a quality localization.)

Congrats Aksys. ^_^

RedSwirl said:
Got the true ending, still have two questions. I just need to know if they are answered by getting the other endings. If not I'll just roll over to the spoiler thread:
1. Do they ever explain the apparent time paradox presented by Akane existing in the present with not only her body, but also enough of her mind to recognize Junpei AND become the next Zero? Even if it is some kind of predestine thing where Junpei will always have rescued Akane, that still presents a time paradox.

2. Do we ever figure out why Lotus was there in the first place? She was the only one for whom I haven't seen a backstory explaining any connection to all this. All I know is that she is a leet haxor, she's dressed like an Egyptian chick, and she has the same hairstyle and color as one of the girls from Seven's flashback.

1. Nope, it's a paradox all right. Akane will always be communicating to the future Junpei and she will always grow up to orchestrate her own rescue from 9 years earlier.

2. We only get a bit of Lotus' backstory, but the kid in the flashback is explained.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Gunloc said:
Bu...bu...but there's no market for visual novels in North America!

Note to other localization houses, the develop a market for a genre, you actual have to release something in that genre. (And give the game a quality localization.)

Congrats Aksys. ^_^

Thanks, Gunloc :D!

And a big thank you to all the 999 fans out there and everyone who bought it :3!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thanks to hosannainexcelsis for selling me a copy for the original price! Now I just need a DS to play it with. I pray my roommate actually shows up here sometime this week.

eshwaaz

999 would not have even been on my radar as I have never been into handheld gaming, but my fondness of Phoenix Wright on iPhone led me to it. I broke down and ordered 999 from Amazon, but it won't ship until the last week of January. See you guys in a couple weeks!

Korigama

timetokill said:
Nothing amazing, but a couple potential avatars if somebody wants them (rehost them please):

clover_avatar.png

Hmm, I could work this into a rotating av (I was curious about that sort of thing), so I wouldn't mind taking this one. Thanks.

Nishastra

Banned
timetokill said:
Nothing amazing, but a couple potential avatars if somebody wants them (rehost them please):

clover_avatar.png
clover_avatar_card.png
I added the card one to my huge mess of avatars. Always looking for more Clover to add :p

Now I want a set of 999 playing cards, though I'm not sure who would be on the face cards.

hamchan

Nishastra said:
I added the card one to my huge mess of avatars. Always looking for more Clover to add :p

Now I want a set of 999 playing cards, though I'm not sure who would be on the face cards.

Well Queen would be
Allice
. Have no idea for Jack and King.

The_Technomancer said:
Was thinking about making a set. Anyone else have ideas for face cards? Zero on one, obviously. Or maybe on the Joker.

Zero for King probably yes .

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nishastra said:

Was thinking about making a set. Anyone else have ideas for face cards? Zero on one, obviously. Or maybe on the Joker.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I've been playing this game and I love it so far. The music, the sounds, the writing, THE PUZZLES. MMMMMMM. So great. I've gotten the knife, axe, coffin, and submarine endings so far and have loved every minute of it. My theory's
that it has to be June. When they talk about their past, when she finds all the dead rabbits or whatever they are and junpei comes help with the stakeouts yet they find NOTHING. Bitch is guilty. All the endings Ive gotten have hinted to the fact that everyone's guilty but simultaneously that nobody's guilty; so I'm going after the most innocent of the bunch. Not too worried because I'm sure Clover will roll up and kill her; so everything'll be cool. I'm sure Santa knows too, that's why he would take her at gunpoint. Cradle Pharmaceutical will sneak in there because they just keep mentioning and it FEELS like people have a bad taste in their mouths whenever they do talk about it
. Can't peel myself out of this game. So good. Can't wait to finish it!

Top Bottom