• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Korigama

LiK said:
it makes us feel like the writers of LOST.

Haha, sounds about right.

InfiniteNine said:
I want to buy this game but I currently don't have a DS and I probably won't have one for a long while. what do?

Steal Borrow a friend's DS, and buy this ASAP. At the very least, though, definitely look into getting the game itself for now (the scarcity of which varies according to where you live).

RedSwirl

XiaNaphryz said:
Skipping the other endings though really limits your experience, since everything is tied together in some way.

I will YouTube the other endings. I got other shit to finish and other shit coming up.
If subsequent runs went by as fast as in say, Shadow of Destiny, I wouldn't have a problem with just keeping the game.

Volcynika

RedSwirl said:
I will YouTube the other endings. I got other shit to finish and other shit coming up.
If subsequent runs went by as fast as in say, Shadow of Destiny, I wouldn't have a problem with just keeping the game.

Considering the paths specific to each ending have new information, that's a lot to youtube!

Jazzem

Apart from the tutorial (had to go to sleep shortly after), I basically finished this in one go :D

...and got a bad ending >:| I know someone here said newcomers probably would first time, but that glimmer of hope was still present!

I got the one where
you get stabbed in the back. My heart skipped a beat as soon as the screen went red!

Unfortunately, being the irresponsible idiot I am I did this in the run-up to my exams, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to explore the other endings for the moment. But wow, what a gripping experience, superb writing and a genuinely exciting premise. I really like the multiple endings idea and how you have to go through multiple times to really get it, I certainly don't feel like I know everything there is to...

Very glad I gave in to the hype and imported (UK 999 represent!), will certainly strive to get every ending. Hell I did the same with Starfox Command, I can do it with this :p

Roto13

spindashing said:
Got a bad ending. This is the first time that I beat the game.
So Ace killed Lotus in this ending?! As well as killing Junpei ... WTF, I had no suspicions on Ace at all, nor did I believe that Junpei would actually die so abruptly. I was pulling for him, feeling that the cliche shounen protagonist always survives, but I sure as hell was wrong. Ace played the oji-san role too well during the game! But, it's inspired me to continue on my second playthrough.
That's actually one of the good endings. :p Way to fluke and get the Safe ending on the first go.

RedSwirl

Whoop messed up. Looks like I'm on the path to the
Axe
ending. Well, it's almost the exact same path as the true ending anyway, plus a couple conversation choices.

RedSwirl

spindashing said:
Got a bad ending. This is the first time that I beat the game.
So Ace killed Lotus in this ending?! As well as killing Junpei ... WTF, I had no suspicions on Ace at all, nor did I believe that Junpei would actually die so abruptly. I was pulling for him, feeling that the cliche shounen protagonist always survives, but I sure as hell was wrong. Ace played the oji-san role too well during the game! But, it's inspired me to continue on my second playthrough.

As soon as I reached the engine room and cargo area I started to suspect
Ace. I don't know, but he started to sound like someone who was in control of the game, or at least had some knowledge of it that he wasn't supposed to have, and he was one of the only people perfectly placed to have killed (well, tried to kill) Snake.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RedSwirl said:
You could easily complete everything in a day or so. Going the Youtube route just to see everything will likely take just as long, unless you plan on skipping straight to the end and bypassing the rooms/puzzles along with new story bits along the way.

Hylian7

RedSwirl said:
I will
YouTube the other endings.
I got other shit to finish and other shit coming up.
Don't do it! You will completely miss the point if you do that! Being able to skip previously seen dialog makes run-throughs go much quicker.

Subsequent playthroughs go pretty fast. I can go from start to end in a finished path in about 15 minutes.

New content can take a while, but, well, it's new content.

Jazzem

Quick query; I think my brother will really like this game (loves the Ace Attorney games for instance), but there don't seem to be multiple saves. Would the only way for him to be able to play my copy without saved information from my playthroughs be to delete my save data?

Also; do you have to do the tutorial level every time you start a new game+?

RedSwirl

XiaNaphryz said:
You could easily complete everything in a day or so. Going the Youtube route just to see everything will likely take just as long, unless you plan on skipping straight to the end and bypassing the rooms/puzzles along with new story bits along the way.

I'll just skip the puzzles.

Yep, looks like all my questions were answered in the spoiler thread except for a few that don't seem to have an answer. Awesome.

By the way,
I did not know the rules of Sudoku AT ALL. Had to look it up on Wikipedia. I think I did pretty good for my first try lol.

LiK

cosmicblizzard said:
Yep, looks like all my questions were answered in the spoiler thread except for a few that don't seem to have an answer. Awesome.

By the way,
I did not know the rules of Sudoku AT ALL. Had to look it up on Wikipedia. I think I did pretty good for my first try lol.
Same here dude, I don't play that type of game. Didn't care I cheated, I wanted to see the end.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Korigama said:
Steal Borrow a friend's DS, and buy this ASAP. At the very least, though, definitely look into getting the game itself for now (the scarcity of which varies according to where you live).
Yeah, places actually around me are out and prices seem inflated online. x:

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I actually knew the rules of Sudoku, but that was the first time I actually bothered to solve one. Think I did pretty good though. Solved it in about 10-15 minutes.

When I got to that final puzzle I actually started laughing, like, "how obvious!" Of course they would put one of those in there.

That said, I used to do quite a few sudoku puzzles in my day, and that was definitely a beginner puzzle. Not to rain on anybody's parade -- it's actually pretty fun to solve the harder ones. So if you guys liked doing it, try some harder ones somewhere!

Tiktaalik said:
Yeah I gotta read through this entire thread now and figure out what the heck this game is even about :)

Whatever you do, don't spoil it for yourself.

I suggest playing the demo. If you like it, and like the concept, get it. It's a great game with some really fantastic storytelling.

LiK

Tiktaalik said:
Yeah I gotta read through this entire thread now and figure out what the heck this game is even about :)
NO! Just get the game. There are spoilers and clues you don't need to know. Play first, read later! That's what I did. :)

Tiktaalik said:
It's a visual novel with occasional decisions and fairly frequent (through broken up by large amounts of text) puzzle rooms.

If none of that bothers you, give this game a try. It is what Heavy Rain tried to be, including being in english.

RedSwirl

The
Axe
ending is funny as hell. Even if you don't get all the endings you should look it up on YouTube or something. Basically,
Clover just decides to go Lizzy Borden on everyone's ass. No warning, no resolution, just WHAM, end. It's like the equivalent of that one Shadow of Destiny ending where Eike get's run over right after having triumphed over the main conflict of the game.

Tiktaalik

Well apparently the game is sold out everywhere near me in Canada. Must have had an awfully small print run!

edit: There's still Amazon.ca/com

I'd love to join the 999 avatar society, but I'm kind of doing the insane face avatars now and pretty much all the ones in this game are massive spoilers :/

Instro

Odd Im only now just now finding out about this game. I mean the name sounds familiar, Im sure I heard it a while ago, but Im really surprised the the game released months ago without me even noticing considering the reviews it has gotten.

Ill be on the look out for a copy, sounds very interesting. From the little of what Ive looked into about it, it reminds me a bit of Hotel Dusk.

RedSwirl

I think there's one conversation choice you have to make beyond door 4 in order to get on the true ending path. It's pretty easy to miss. You make the choice while
stuck in the freezer

XiaNaphryz

RedSwirl said:
I think there's one conversation choice you have to make beyond door 4 in order to get on the true ending path. It's pretty easy to miss. You make the choice while
stuck in the freezer
There's a couple triggers you need to hit to keep on the path, though that is one of them.

9BR

Neo Member
The only ending I didn't bother to get was the knife ending. Should I go back for it? :\
Major spoilers
I had no idea that Ace would turn out to be such a dick. He was the only character next to June that I trusted.
Plus, June turned out to be Zero as well, now that's a mind fuck.
Game is so good.

9BR said:
The only ending I didn't bother to get was the knife ending. Should I go back for it? :\
Major spoilers
I had no idea that Ace would turn out to be such a dick. He was the only character next to June that I trusted.
Plus, June turned out to be Zero as well, now that's a mind fuck.
Game is so good.
Knife ending would have given you a bit more suspicion that Ace was a dick. You never wondered why he asked Lotus to step away with him in the Axe ending?

9BR

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
Knife ending would have given you a bit more suspicion that Ace was a dick. You never wondered why he asked Lotus to step away with him in the Axe ending?
I already knew at that time because I got the safe ending before going for the axe ending, but that was suspicious yes.

Just completed my first run-through right now. And I got the
knife
ending - my thoughts are as follows -

Wow... Talk about anticlimactic. Just when it had been revealed that there were two doors and then that weird altar with the coffin from which a knocking sound emitted.... I was getting pumped for a crazy revelation only to have myself knifed in the back. Lotus' bracelet was stolen, and Clover was missing which leaves me to believe that Clover was responsible, since she could use number 8 and kill June for 6.

She seemed completely aloof the whole game which automatically makes me suspicious. But hey, it could've easily have been Santa or Seven or June as well. The thing I realized while playing was I should've followed Clover through her door after she said she'd be dead next. I regretted not picking that path right after I chose to follow June.
I don't want anyone stating whether I'm on the right track or not. Just voicing my thoughts is all. And... Like so many others in this thread, this game kept me up til 4:30 AM, and I need sleep badly :l

Jazzem

SWEET MERCIFUL FUCK O_O

I just got the
ridiculous blood bath (that has a quaint little image of a submarine to represent it)
ending as my second one. Sweet Jesus that was
brutal!

Seriously though, can you really not skip puzzles you've done before on subsequent playthroughs? That kinda sucks :/

AniHawk

Jazzem said:
SWEET MERCIFUL FUCK O_O

I just got the
ridiculous blood bath (that has a quaint little image of a submarine to represent it)
brutal!

Seriously though, can you really not skip puzzles you've done before on subsequent playthroughs? That kinda sucks :/

I recommend memorizing the numbers for the ones with numerical locks or just writing them down. You can skip all the other bullshit like gathering things needed to solve them the first time through
for instance at the start of the game, all you need are the keys and to know where the red and blue briefcases are

Jazzem

Yeah I've started doing that, but it's still somewhat irritating :/

Just got my third ending, the
axe
one. Yeah...that and the last one I got are quite easily the most fucked up things I've ever seen on my DS :lol

LiK

Jazzem said:
SWEET MERCIFUL FUCK O_O

I just got the
brutal!

You can probably just keep a guide open for puzzles you've beaten already. I originally wrote down the puzzle answers I solved but I just had a FAQ open so I didn't need to memorize or look at my scribbles for stuff I've beaten.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AniHawk said:
I recommend memorizing the numbers for the ones with numerical locks or just writing them down. You can skip all the other bullshit like gathering things needed to solve them the first time through
for instance at the start of the game, all you need are the keys and to know where the red and blue briefcases are

Would not recommend. When going for the true ending, you'll miss a vital conversation if you skip the
freezer
section.

Nishastra

Banned
ZealousD said:
Would not recommend. When going for the true ending, you'll miss a vital conversation if you skip the
freezer
section.
I don't think that's possible. As far as I could tell, you're not allowed to even try that keypad until you've been in there.

ZealousD said:
freezer
section.

You can't skip the
freezer
anyway. They make you
get the note/meat from the locker
. I tried it :p Junpei just says "well I better figure out what I'm supposed to do before messing around with this."

JKTrix

The 2nd episode of the new anime Gosick has a plot that is remarkably similar to this game. Not that I'm recommending that people check it out, it's kind of dull.

There was another anime/manga that reminded me of a plot point in this, but I can't remember what it was.

Edit: Oh, now I remember. It was Katekyo Hitman Reborn. (Spoilers for both obviously)
There was a recent villain that could "connect" with himself in alternate universes, allowing him to find the best possible path in each one. For example, medicine advances quicker in one of the universes and he is able to pass that knowledge onto himself in another universe where someone has a deadly disease and the cure has not been discovered yet.
Not exactly the same, but similar.

AcciDante

Just got this from Gamefly and I can't figure the first puzzle. I might be too dumb to play this :( I've tried all sorts of combos from that card and picture, but none work! Maybe I'm looking at the card wrong?

XiaNaphryz

AcciDante said:
Just got this from Gamefly and I can't figure the first puzzle. I might be too dumb to play this :( I've tried all sorts of combos from that card and picture, but none work! Maybe I'm looking at the card wrong?
Did you search absolutely everything in the room? You might not have all the items yet.

AcciDante said:
I got stuck here the first time, too. There's more than one card, are you sure you clicked -everywhere-?

Top Bottom