• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lafiel said:
Alright, another ending done!
aL6qp.jpg

gdt

I played a shit ton of this game today. Almost leaving the hospital now.

Liking it alot, and it has very little....anime-isms that I've grown to hate. I usually hate "strangers-get-kidnapped-and-forced-to-play-a-game" stories, so we'll see where this goes....

Now to decide which door, 7 or 8....

OneMoreQuestion said:
SHOULD HAVE KNOWN NOT TO READ YOUTUBE COMMENTS SPOILERS FTL FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU indeed! That asshole completely ruined pretty much everything! Be warned guys, do NOT read the comments on YouTube! Stay clear!

Also, the Submarine Ending -
seeing everyone dead at the end was the most shocking and disturbing thing I've seen in a videogame for a long time! It was brutal!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm happy that I've gone through this game 100% spoiler free. (i usually can't help myself in most cases.>_>). Well maybe not exactly since i took a quick glance through one spoiler in this thread, but all i read were names of the characters.:lol

That’s good to hear! I went in with no spoilers too. Honestly, if I knew the big spoilers I don’t know if I’d even want to continue! The story is pretty much everything with this game!

I really wish I could erase all my memories! I haven’t played a game in ages that completely sucked me in and made me think about its plot every time I didn’t play it like 999 did!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Might want to give Ever17 a shot sometime since the person who wrote this was one of the writers for it!

Going to see what I can get for my Wii tomorrow and get a DS. xD;

XiaNaphryz

InfiniteNine said:
Might want to give Ever17 a shot sometime since the person who wrote this was one of the writers for it!

Just wait for a JPN 3DS. It'll play 999 fine. ;)

Tricky I Shadow said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU indeed! That asshole completely ruined pretty much everything! Be warned guys, do NOT read the comments on YouTube! Stay clear!

Also, the Submarine Ending -
seeing everyone dead at the end was the most shocking and disturbing thing I've seen in a videogame for a long time! It was brutal!
You know, now that I think about it, the submarine ending has some issues.

In that path, Ace must have been faking his death, right? But how would Junpei not notice that Ace is still breathing? Wouldn't his entire plan have fallen apart if he was just a second late getting back from stabbing June?

XiaNaphryz

ShockingAlberto said:
You know, now that I think about it, the submarine ending has some issues.

In that path, Ace must have been faking his death, right? But how would Junpei not notice that Ace is still breathing? Wouldn't his entire plan have fallen apart if he was just a second late getting back from stabbing June?
It's not stated that Cap is dead in that ending, is it? If Ace actually is dead, then that's the only remaining possibility, right?

Sub ending spoilers, but just to be safe, don't highlight if you haven't gotten the good ending.

XiaNaphryz said:
It's not stated that Cap is dead in that ending, is it? If Ace actually is dead, then that's the only remaining possibility, right?
Cap being the murderer makes less sense. He would have had to kill Santa, Clover, and Ace on the main staircase. Seven, Lotus, and Junpei follow through the exit. Seven and Lotus wait behind while Junpei nurses a dying June for an indeterminate (but generally agreed to be long) amount of time. Seven and Lotus are stabbed. Junpei finds them, then walks back to where June was and gets stabbed.

So let's map this out. Ace, Clover, and Santa are dead on the staircase. We can assume June can get through whatever door she wants without need of the key, so she flees through a door that the killer follows her through. He stabs her by the sub. If it were Ace, he would have a very small amount of time to get back to the staircase and join Santa and Clover. It was risky, but possible. If it were Cap (who was drugged and probably would not have killed Ace), there's no place he could have hid. There was just one empty corridor leading to the sub room. He could maybe have been hiding near the grand staircase, but there's nothing indicating that's even possible. Ace just had an extremely risky plan, I think.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sub ending spoilers, but just to be safe, don't highlight if you haven't gotten the good ending.

Cap being the murderer makes less sense. He would have had to kill Santa, Clover, and Ace on the main staircase. Seven, Lotus, and Junpei follow through the exit. Seven and Lotus wait behind while Junpei nurses a dying June for an indeterminate (but generally agreed to be long) amount of time. Seven and Lotus are stabbed. Junpei finds them, then walks back to where June was and gets stabbed.

So let's map this out. Ace, Clover, and Santa are dead on the staircase. We can assume June can get through whatever door she wants without need of the key, so she flees through a door that the killer follows her through. He stabs her by the sub. If it were Ace, he would have a very small amount of time to get back to the staircase and join Santa and Clover. It was risky, but possible. If it were Cap (who was drugged and probably would not have killed Ace), there's no place he could have hid. There was just one empty corridor leading to the sub room. He could maybe have been hiding near the grand staircase, but there's nothing indicating that's even possible. Ace just had an extremely risky plan, I think.

Is the layout ever made clear in that area? I kind of just assumed she fell over the railing. Doubt it would take much effort on Ace's part to just stab her and push her then get back to the stairs.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just got the "Safe' ending.
Wow, that is the craziest ending yet. Holy shit at some of the revelations.:lol so i guess ace was the killer in both the sub and knife endings? and possibly manipulated clover into killing the rest of the group in the axe ending? :eek: the amount of tension was insane and was increased even more because i had RL obligations to take of during the ending.:lol and damn i guess june = zero? i can't wait to find out when i attempt the "true" ending tomorrow. And why do i have some strange feeling, that the main character is stuck into some kind of time loop that resets itself whenever he makes the "wrong" choices and dies. And the loop won't end until i presumably make the right choices in the "true" ending .:lol could be wrong. But it would be a interesting direction to take the story regardless

InfiniteNine said:

Just wanted to point out that Remember11, another game in the Infinity series, recently had a fan translation patch completed a month or two ago. I understand one for Ever7 is in the works, and hopefully for 12Riven too at some point. I think Remember11 is written by Kotaro Uchikoshi again (they mentioned it on Warning! A Huge Podcast) but I can't find anything to back that up on Google. My copy just arrived this morning so I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Lafiel said:
so i guess ace was the killer in both the sub and knife endings?

Yep.

Lafiel said:
...and possibly manipulated clover into killing the rest of the group in the axe ending? :eek:

Possibly....but I'm pretty sure
Clover just went insane because she thought her brother died.

Lafiel said:
damn i guess june = zero?

And what makes you say that?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
And what makes you say that?

I actually don't have much to go on aside from her strange disappearance in the church room and the fact that gas was left as soon as she disappeared. (which is very suspicious) Although i guess the fact that "zero" was supposelly talking to junpei through the speaker contradicts that.:p anyway i will find out the "truth' tomorrow anyway.:p

Lafiel said:
I actually don't have much to go on aside from her strange disappearance in the church room and the fact that gas was left as soon as she disappeared. (which is very suspicious) Although i guess the fact that "zero" was supposelly talking to junpei through the speaker contradicts that.:p anyway i will find out the "truth' tomorrow anyway.:p

Hehe....interesting. Well I look forward to hearing what you think tomorrow! : )

fushi

So there's absolutely no way to skip the puzzles you've finished in repeated playthroughs?

I've gotten the 'axe' and 'submarine' endings so far.

fushi said:
So there's absolutely no way to skip the puzzles you've finished in repeated playthroughs?

I've gotten the 'axe' and 'submarine' endings so far.

No, but you should be able to breeze through them now that you've solved them. It kinda sucks but I got so used to doing some of the puzzles I could do them in a couple minutes each.

fushi

Another question... do certain new routes/choices only open up once you've gotten one or several bad endings? Or is it more about picking all the right choices in every dialog option?

Hoping it's the former, otherwise I'll probably end up consulting a FAQ eventually...

fushi said:
Another question... do certain new routes/choices only open up once you've gotten one or several bad endings? Or is it more about picking all the right choices in every dialog option?

Hoping it's the former, otherwise I'll probably end up consulting a FAQ eventually...

Almost all of the endings are based completely on door choices alone.
One ending relies on door choices + a few dialog choices.

By the time you've gotten the other endings, you will have probably figured out the path you're "supposed" to take. But if you want to use a FAQ, use the spoiler-free chart if you're out of ideas. There's one on GameFAQs that is basically just a flowchart of the doors you need and where the critical choices are.

Still, you'll feel more rewarded and surprised if you can hold off on that as long as you can.

Or you can just tell us which endings you have, and we can give you a non-spoilery list of the combinations you need to do to get the other endings :)

fushi

Cool, thanks.

I'll hold off on the FAQ's for now. I just don't want to end up doing a whole run-through and get the exact same ending.

bard

Managed to find a copy of this at GameStop yesterday. I'm afraid of most of this thread because of all the spoilers, but I'm starting the game today. Can't wait! Good job, GAF.

So good to see the ongoing flux of people coming to this thread to express their appreciation for the game.

Even those who were a bit wary or reluctant at first don't seem to come back disappointed.

Eventually someone will and combo break the thread though. Who will it be ? No one knows, one can only speculate.

I especially enjoy to witness the tension and excitement of new players building up over a few posts.

Okay, I finished my fifth playthrough and the endings I got were the
axe, knife, submarine (got it twice)
and now the
coffin
. I have to admit,
the coffin ending is a breath of fresh air. No deaths in it, Snake's still alive most likely but the ending left you desiring more. Was that Alice in the coffin? Also I seemed to have unlocked a "Preview B" video which hyped me even more. The story is so intricate. It's well done. And shit, why do I get the feeling that June is behind all of this? The whole flashback of Junpei finding June crying in response to the dead bunnies left me thinking.
I've done my best and stayed away from spoilers! I have not even touched Ghost Trick which my friend practically gave to me... LOL.

Edit: I want to finish the game so I can post in the spoiler thread. I'll feel like I won a million bucks 'cause I'll be able to say, "Fuck yeah, I beat the game so I can talk about it more here!"

Foreveralone.jpg

Taoofberg

What a fun game, sound effects and music really add a lot more than I expected. Finished my first play-through last night.
Everyone died. By the icon at the top, it would be considered the "submarine" ending, I guess?

Okay, I finished another play-through. I got the safe ending and I ... Wow. That was ridiculous.

Now, I'm missing one last ending. I think I'll take a break and then start another playthrough.

Edit: Yes, to poster above. That's what it means. That ending was so ridiculous. Keep playing!

spindashing said:
Okay, I finished another play-through. I got the safe ending and I ... Wow. That was ridiculous.

Now, I'm missing one last ending. I think I'll take a break and then start another playthrough.

Edit: Yes, to poster above. That's what it means. That ending was so ridiculous. Keep playing!

Love seeing all the new players and their reactions. Keep 'em coming, GAF!

Drakken

OK, so I've played through this three times so far.

#1:
Took door 6 on the last door choice. Got knifed in the back. [BAD END]
#2:
Took door (?) on the last choice (not 6 and not 1). Submarine ending; everyone died. Credits (how is this not a bad end?)
#3:
Split up from June every time. Took door 1 on the last door choice. Got axed by Clover. Knew something was up when Junpei said he saw what looked like a wooden rod sticking out of her collar, but still, damn! [BAD END]

I want to see the other endings (particularly a GOOD one, heh), but I don't want to just look up what to do. I also don't want to blindly play through it again and get an ending I've already gotten. Any tips for me without directly explaining what to do (not sure if that's possible)?

Btw, really enjoying this. It's a unique gaming experience, at least for me. Love how you can fast-forward through things after your first run-through.

Hylian7

Drakken said:
OK, so I've played through this three times so far.

#1:
Took door 6 on the last door choice. Got knifed in the back. [BAD END]
#2:
Took door (?) on the last choice (not 6 and not 1). Submarine ending; everyone died. Credits (how is this not a bad end?)
#3:
Split up from June every time. Took door 1 on the last door choice. Got axed by Clover. [BAD END]

I want to see the other endings (particularly a GOOD one, heh), but I don't want to just look up what to do. I also don't want to blindly play through it again and get an ending I've already gotten. Any tips for me without directly explaining what to do (not sure if that's possible)?

Btw, really enjoying this. It's a unique gaming experience, at least for me. Love how you can fast-forward through things after your first run-through.
Think about what you saw behind the doors and what the characters did behind each door. Listen to what everyone has to say. Use this stuff to make a plan that you think will get you a new ending.

Drakken

Hylian7 said:
Think about what you saw behind the doors and what the characters did behind each door. Listen to what everyone has to say. Use this stuff to make a plan that you think will get you a new ending.

Now that I think about it, I probably should have written down the choices I made each play-through. It's going to be difficult to remember the combination of doors I took and responses I gave each time.

Just out of curiosity, is there any ending for making all the stupid dialogue choices? I'm referring to the ones where Junpei gives the wrong answers (playing dumb about the math questions, not remembering about the different keys, etc.)? Generally I just answered things correctly, as I figured being stupid probably wouldn't result in a good ending.

Ferrio

Banned
Drakken said:
Now that I think about it, I probably should have written down the choices I made each play-through. It's going to be difficult to remember the combination of doors I took and responses I gave each time.

Just out of curiosity, is there any ending for making all the stupid dialogue choices? I'm referring to the ones where Junpei gives the wrong answers (playing dumb about the math questions, not remembering about the different keys, etc.)? Generally I just answered things correctly, as I figured being stupid probably wouldn't result in a good ending.

There's a just a couple that are required to be answered correctly, most can be whatever you want though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Baiano19 said:
Comparing this game to Ghost Trick, which one is better, story wise?
Oh...man...I really can't say. 999 is probably the more mature story, but they're both fantastic. Its really weird for me to say that. I have such high standards for stories and writing in general that I'm used to disappointment, its so nice having two awesome story-driven games in two months.

The_Technomancer said:
Oh...man...I really can't say. 999 is probably the more mature story, but they're both fantastic. Its really weird for me to say that. I have such high standards for stories and writing in general that I'm used to disappointment, its so nice having two awesome story-driven games in two months.
Good. I'm going to play Ghost Trick right after I'm done with 999. I got the submarine ending again. That ending's haunting me. I will get the last ending if it's the last thing I do. (lol)

LiK

spindashing said:
Good. I'm going to play Ghost Trick right after I'm done with 999. I got the submarine ending again. That ending's haunting me. I will get the last ending if it's the last thing I do. (lol)

Ghost Trick is a nice palette cleanser after the intensity of 999. :D

Emotions

I really need to import this.. i wanted it since it came out...but my poor country (Chile) never got it in the stores... too niche i guess.. i hate when games i want never arrive.

The Hermit

The_Technomancer said:

I just found the answer of my own question : the fact that 999 mentions real life events, like the Sheldrake experiment, makes it few hundred times more appealing to me than the extreme non-sense of Ghost Trick. I enjoyed it, but ieverything is just so crazy that the "twists" don't have that awe...

I just want something more realistic, and so far this game is giving it to me! :D

Baiano19 said:
I just found the answer of my own question : the fact that 999 mentions real life events, like the Sheldrake experiment, makes it few hundred times more appealing to me than the extreme non-sense of Ghost Trick. I enjoyed it, but ieverything is just so crazy that the "twists" don't have that awe...

I just want something more realistic, and so far this game is giving it to me! :D

It's still just pseudo-science, but it was certainly neat to wonder several times throughout 999, "Did this actually happen?" and more often than not, it did. The writers certainly did their research.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Baiano19 said:
Comparing this game to Ghost Trick, which one is better, story wise?

I'd give the slight edge to 999. They're actually pretty similar in a lot of ways. I think 999 has the better writing and narrative techniques, but Ghost Trick is a bit more fun and playful with its story.

They're both miles above what passes for story in most games, though.

LiK

ZealousD said:
I'd give the slight edge to 999. They're actually pretty similar in a lot of ways. I think 999 has the better writing and narrative techniques, but Ghost Trick is a bit more fun and playful with its story.

They're both miles above what passes for story in most games, though.

yea, loved both but 999 is like a punch to the face with surprises, and i have to admit, i was pretty beat up after i was done with it.

The last ending is evading me. I keep getting other endings that I've already seen. I think I'll start again tomorrow. Safe ending is god tier, though... =)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ugh. Finished the game a bit ago, and got what I assume is the worst ending
(Junpei dies :( )
. I tried starting a new game, and even with the fast forward thing, I just...totally don't want to play through it again. Much less five more times. I guess I feel kinda...let down. Like if I'd gotten a better ending, I'd be a bit more inclined to play through it again.

I dunno. I almost want to just go spoil myself on the other endings and get rid of the game or something. Convince me not to, guys. =/

Top Bottom