• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
gdt5016 said:
Moving through at a good clip.

Got to the first choice of the game, again.

Last time I went through door 5, so should pick door 4 for this playthrough? But if I don't see 9's wristband (and subsequently notice it missing later), that would change the story, right?
For now, just focus on entering rooms you haven't been to yet.

ataboada

Well, I finally got the
safe
ending. Was surprised about the great chunk of "post-gameplay" story development. I thought the story wouldn't get much better, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. Can't wait till I get the real ending tomorrow =)

ataboada said:
Well, I finally got the
safe
ending. Was surprised about the great chunk of "post-gameplay" story development. I thought the story wouldn't get much better, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. Can't wait till I get the real ending tomorrow =)
Brace yourself my friend, for you are about to get sexed 9 different ways.

What the fucking fuck... Just finished my 2nd playthrough and got the
Sub
ending. This game has totally thrown me for a loop. Here I was thinking that I'd get a nice ending,
due to the burgeoning romance with June and the nice chunk of exposition that occurred between Lotus and Seven only to have EVERY single character die! The one very interesting thing is that I went in thinking that one of the game players might have been the one killing the others off, only to find them all dead in this ending. Very interesting indeed. Makes me wonder whether the bookmark that Santa found had anything to do with how things played out.
Can't wait to start a new playthrough tomorrow. I need some God damned answers!

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Sub
ending. This game has totally thrown me for a loop. Here I was thinking that I'd get a nice ending,
due to the burgeoning romance with June and the nice chunk of exposition that occurred between Lotus and Seven only to have EVERY single character die! The one very interesting thing is that I went in thinking that one of the game players might have been the one killing the others off, only to find them all dead in this ending. Very interesting indeed. Makes me wonder whether the bookmark that Santa found had anything to do with how things played out.

Haha, yeah. The
Submarine Ending was the first one I got and I thought I was doing so well too, then BAM! Everyone is dead! It was disturbing.

And your on the right track with the
bookmark that Santa found.
Think about it and I’m sure a lot of other things will gradually fall into place.....

Korigama

Sub

A couple bits of speculation fuel to consider in respect to the situation.

1./
Of the people found at the central staircase, the only person whose death Junpei and the others verified was Clover's.

2./
In respect to the bracelets, the killer found value in stealing the one worn by Lotus specifically for some reason.

Hope this helps. Always glad to see more people as absorbed in the mysteries of the story as I was myself.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Haha, yeah. The
Submarine Ending was the first one I got and I thought I was doing so well too, then BAM! Everyone is dead! It was disturbing.

And your on the right track with the
bookmark that Santa found.
Think about it and I’m sure a lot of other things will gradually fall into place.....
Yeah, coming from the
Knife
ending I had reason to believe that things were looking up since that ending seemed so hopeless, only to discover thar things amplified in misery tenfold lol.

In regards to the
Bookmark, I was totally weirded out by Santa going on about hating the number 4 and hating love, hope, and luck etc. So I pegged him as the one behind Clover's disappearance, only to find her, Ace and Santa dead at the staircase. Then during the knife ending, he was going on about his creepy Two Santas story. So he always struck me as being very strange. I mean all of the characters act very suspicious in one way or another, but this guy genuinely seems to have problems.

I can't imagine what the story is about given all of the mentioning of experiments and psuedoscience and telepathy etc. I can't form a link between the nonary game, its participants and the experiments performed by the pharmaceutical company. Then there's all the weird conversations about hydrates, ice-9, mind control, curses and morphic resonance. The pieces of the puzzle are beginning to surface, but I'll be damned as to how they fit together.

Grampasso said:
Uhm... maybe it has been already asked, but is it out in Euroland yet? Will it ever be?

No, and I highly doubt that it'll ever be. Just take the plunge and import it, it's so worth it!

The pieces of the puzzle are beginning to surface, but I'll be damned as to how they fit together.

That's exactly how I felt too! But fear not, soon pretty much everything will make perfect sense! : D

Korigama said:
A couple bits of speculation fuel to consider in respect to the situation.

1./
Of the people found at the central staircase, the only person whose death Junpei and the others verified was Clover's.

2./
In respect to the bracelets, the killer found value in stealing the one worn by Lotus specifically for some reason.

Hope this helps. Always glad to see more people as absorbed in the mysteries of the story as I was myself.
Wow. I never even considered #1. As for #2,
That was the first thing I started thinking of when Junpei noticed her bracelet was gone. I started thinking of digital root combinations that yielded 9, only to have my theory quashed once I got the sub ending since it seemed like all the players were offed. Someone possibly smearing themselves with blood and playing possum definitely makes this more interesting to consider, then again, the one clue being Lotus' bracelet makes it difficult to discern the killer as he/she would need at least three bracelets to get through the RED.

Lain

Jumpy, your piece of meat... it's rock solid.

Man, this game is killing me. Junpei
had her repeat it's really hard, then every time I search the meat June says those things. She even adds a nom nom!
This game is simply awesome.

Lain said:
Junpy, your piece of meat... it's rock solid.

Man, this game is killing me. Junpei had her repeat it's really hard, then every time I search the meat June says those things. She even adds a nom nom!
This game is simply awesome.
Aw man, I'd spoiler that for those who've yet to play it. That's one of the funniest exchanges in the game given the situation, and it's like going into a comedy where the best parts are in a trailer.

Zero theory -
You know, I've been thinking about this game last night after it had me up til 5 AM (again :l ), and I realized I don't really trust Ace. The killer is usually someone who is in plain sight, and is seemingly magnanimous. He'll add to discussions and whatnot, but we don't ever actually learn much about him. I thought it was hyper suspicious that he'd be walking around with a syringe full of anesthetic. And that line where he said he was thinking of using it on someone but didn't think it'd be himself? The hell's that about? Why would he need to knock someone out if he's so insistent upon fostering trust and goodwill?

I figure that certain events will always remain the same - The ninth man and Snake will always die, and Ace will always be left behind in the hospital. This excludes him from a fairly large chunk of the game where he could be up to all sorts of things. I was pondering who would need Lotus' bracelet since it was the only one taken, and the first number to pop in my head was 1. But you need at least three people to go through a door. And then it hit me, what if Ace was also Zero? Then he'd be simultaneously 1 and 0. Which raises the question of why would he play his own game? Well, in a film such as Saw, Jigsaw was lying there in plain sight the whole time; these sorts of people are deranged. It's like the Zodiac killer - man is the greatest form of sport to hunt.

This brings me to the conversation pertaining to whether Zero was actually amongst the players and on the ship. It was induced that Zero might be on board to keep an eye on the players in the game, but that the puzzles were automated since he couldn't possibly monitor all of them. Since Zero would know that pathways split up only to merge again, he could easily kill players when they are split up, only to rejoin the survivors (by pretending he was dead at the staircase) and kill them too when their guard is down. Although I have a suspect in mind, I still have no clue pertaining to the overarching mystery of why? Why all of this? This has seriously been the most thought provoking game I've ever played, and the idea of making you play through it multiple times to round up the pieces is ingenious. I only wish my friends were as openminded as to try out this amazing game.

XiaNaphryz

Zero theory -
You know, I've been thinking about this game last night after it had me up til 5 AM (again :l ), and I realized I don't really trust Ace. The killer is usually someone who is in plain sight, and is seemingly magnanimous. He'll add to discussions and whatnot, but we don't ever actually learn much about him. I thought it was hyper suspicious that he'd be walking around with a syringe full of anesthetic. And that line where he said he was thinking of using it on someone but didn't think it'd be himself? The hell's that about? Why would he need to knock someone out if he's so insistent upon fostering trust and goodwill?

I figure that certain events will always remain the same - The ninth man and Snake will always die, and Ace will always be left behind in the hospital. This excludes him from a fairly large chunk of the game where he could be up to all sorts of things. I was pondering who would need Lotus' bracelet since it was the only one taken, and the first number to pop in my head was 1. But you need at least three people to go through a door. And then it hit me, what if Ace was also Zero? Then he'd be simultaneously 1 and 0. Which raises the question of why would he play his own game? Well, in a film such as Saw, Jigsaw was lying there in plain sight the whole time; these sorts of people are deranged. It's like the Zodiac killer - man is the greatest form of sport to hunt.

This brings me to the conversation pertaining to whether Zero was actually amongst the players and on the ship. It was induced that Zero might be on board to keep an eye on the players in the game, but that the puzzles were automated since he couldn't possibly monitor all of them. Since Zero would know that pathways split up only to merge again, he could easily kill players when they are split up, only to rejoin the survivors (by pretending he was dead at the staircase) and kill them too when their guard is down. Although I have a suspect in mind, I still have no clue pertaining to the overarching mystery of why? Why all of this? This has seriously been the most thought provoking game I've ever played, and the idea of making you play through it multiple times to round up the pieces is ingenious. I only wish my friends were as openminded as to try out this amazing game.

Keep playing! ;)

Zero theory -

Keep playing! Continue to SEEK A WAY OUT!

What's weird is that my guess about the identity of Zero was right, but my reasonings for as to why said person was Zero were wrong. I had a more morbid reason as to why this person was Zero, and I'm pleased I was wrong.

spindashing said:
Keep playing! Continue to SEEK A WAY OUT!

What's weird is that my guess about the identity of Zero was right, but my reasonings for as to why said person was Zero were wrong. I had a more morbid reason as to why this person was Zero, and I'm pleased I was wrong.
See, that's what I want out of this game. I want to formulate ridiculous theories that are supported by logical and inductive reasoning only to have the writers prove me utterly wrong.

See, that's what I want out of this game. I want to formulate ridiculous theories that are supported by logical and inductive reasoning only to have the writers prove me utterly wrong.
If that's what you want out of it, then let me be the first to let you know that you've picked the right game. There are so many twists and turns in this game; I would have never expected that the plot of the game was so great when I first started playing.

For people who are still playing and/or struggling with the game, try your best to keep away from cheats/spoilers. It'll be all worth it in the end. It may be a bore replaying the game, but in my case it was so fun gathering more new information with each path I chose. Getting all the endings on my own, as a "completionist", was so rewarding.

As people said before, I do recommend writing down numerical answers to puzzles so that your subsequent playthroughs will be easier.

Hylian7

Does anyone happen to have any sprites of Seven? I just thought of a brilliant idea for a new GAF avatar and I need a sprite of him for it. High-res artwork might work too, but I think it might look better as a sprite for what I'm going to do with this.

Hylian7 said:
Does anyone happen to have any sprites of Seven? I just thought of a brilliant idea for a new GAF avatar and I need a sprite of him for it. High-res artwork might work too, but I think it might look better as a sprite for what I'm going to do with this.
I'm eagerly awaiting sprite rips of all of the characters, actually. Then someone must make a Phoenix Wright + 999 crossover. Gumshoe must meet Seven. Snake must meet Edgeworth. There are other characters I have in mind, but I don't want to spoil. Speaking of Phoenix Wright ... (BIG SPOILERS HERE, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME OR AT LEAST GOT THE SAFE ENDING)
Junpei gathering the facts that Ace was Hongou was very Phoenix Wright like. I was half expecting to hear a Phoenix Wright song when he did it. Hongou changing his face was so similar to Phoenix Wright villains when they got serious, too.

Luigi87

I picked up my copy today at GameStop Canada. I am psyched to get started.
... And also because of 999 (all starting with my order being cancelled from Amazon.ca yesterday), I may have met the girl of my dreams! ... and failed to act on it. An interesting story, that I shan't go into, but will instead play 999 for the time being, while I plan!

Instro said:
My copy arrived today, going in completley blind on this one. Should be interesting.
I jumped in blind all hell as well. I hadn't even seen a screen shot I don't believe, and had no clue what even the premise was.

seady

Beat it the first time and got the Bad End.
It's the one with
Clover gone insane and killing everybody.

The ending is kind of abrupt, weird and disappointing though. It came out of nowhere and I was like "HUH? WTF?" But everything before it was awesome.

Finally got the money to order this. Been wanting it since it was announced to be coming here but all the money I had was for my new gaming PC, so, yeah :p

It was this or Ghost Trick but I chose to buy from the smaller company first (<3), even though I wanted Ghost Trick more (</3). Thanks for bringing the game over, Aksys :D

seady said:
Beat it the first time and got the Bad End.
It's the one with
Clover gone insane and killing everybody.

The ending is kind of abrupt, weird and disappointing though. It came out of nowhere and I was like "HUH? WTF?" But everything before it was awesome.

Keep playing -- the more endings you get, the more awesome the story becomes. Trust me!

LiK

abstract alien said:
I jumped in blind all hell as well. I hadn't even seen a screen shot I don't believe, and had no clue what even the premise was.

same here, i went in COMPLETELY blind and it was fantastic. knowing anything sorta ruins it, imo. all the new guys should come back to the thread after their first playthrough at least.

gdt

In the middle of my second playthrough, and I'm seeing some changes in the storyline :eek:.

Snake's still here? Huh?

At the Hospital now, again.

I'm also a bit confused as to what text is and isn't fast-foward..able. Some of the text I know I've read, but it won't FF. Like Seven's
info dump about The Gigantic.

gdt5016 said:
In the middle of my second playthrough, and I'm seeing some changes in the storyline :eek:.

Snake's still here? Huh?

At the Hospital now, again.

I'm also a bit confused as to what text is and isn't fast-foward..able. Some of the text I know I've read, but it won't FF. Like Seven's
info dump about The Gigantic.
When text is not fast forwardable, that usually means
that you have not seen that text yet, so it's best that you pay attention. It's a good means of showing you that you're on the right track to a new ending/path.

gdt

Damn, Junpei just did some
grimy shit when I chose to go through Door 3.

:lol

Kinda breaks immersion for me, seeing as how up to now I know Junpei as someone who would never do that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I played a bit of this before starting Ghost Trick based off of word of mouth alone, I knew nothing about it. Got out of the first room and was a bit luke-warm on the whole thing so I moved onto Ghost Trick and finished it.

I played some more of this today. I wasn't very engaged, even when they introduced the rest of the cast, but once the game stuff started coming into play it really grabbed me. Some really cringe-worthy, totally self-serious writing has been kind of distracting, but if the cool premises, which seems like it's not going to hold back on the "oh fuck", keeps the forward momentum up I think I'll end up enjoying this.

XiaNaphryz

Rez said:
I played a bit of this before starting Ghost Trick based off of word of mouth alone, I knew nothing about it. Got out of the first room and was a bit luke-warm on the whole thing so I moved onto Ghost Trick and finished it.

I played some more of this today. I wasn't very engaged, even when they introduced the rest of the cast, but once the game stuff started coming into play it really grabbed me. Some really cringe-worthy, totally self-serious writing has been kind of distracting, but if the cool premises, which seems like it's not going to hold back on the "oh fuck", keeps the forward momentum up I think I'll end up enjoying this.
I feel like we should just keep reposting Feep's bit everytime someone is still in the early game. ;)

gdt5016 said:
Damn, Junpei just did some
grimy shit when I chose to go through Door 3.

:lol

Kinda breaks immersion for me, seeing as how up to now I know Junpei as someone who would never do that.
Yes! :lol That was some fucked up shit, but what was even more fucked up was the description of
June pulling at her hair then pounding the door until her hands started to bleed.

Also, is it me or did I always get an
asshole-ish
vibe from Junpei. I mean, not
completely asshole, but some of his dialogue which I can't remember at the moment was really asshole like.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there anything I should know about the endings? or is it a just keep playing repeatedly and shit will change kind of deal?

Rez said:
is there anything I should know about the endings? or is it a just keep playing repeatedly and shit will change kind of deal?
There's a spoiler free guide on Gamefaqs if you want to keep that handy.

It is possible to get all the endings in five playthroughs. If you want to do that, get one ending and then use the spoiler-free guide to get the rest. One or two require that you make specific dialogue and door choices.

totowhoa

Banned
Rez said:

I'm with you on the writing from above. Still holding out, but still enjoying the game regardless. Also on my first play through. It's starting to get more and more interesting as certain issues arise.

Just got to the
third
time you have a set of doors to choose from. I'm hoping to finish the game sometime tomorrow, but I still don't know exactly how close I am. I'm also going to steam clean half of my house, so my beating this game tomorrow is entirely dependent upon how dirty my carpet is. :p

XiaNaphryz

Sklorenz said:
I'm with you on the writing from above. Still holding out, but still enjoying the game regardless. Also on my first play through. It's starting to get more and more interesting as certain issues arise.

Just got to the third time you have a set of doors to choose from. I'm hoping to finish the game sometime tomorrow, but I still don't know exactly how close I am. I'm also going to steam clean how of my house, so my beating this game tomorrow is entirely dependent upon how dirty my carpet is. :p
Fair warning, getting an ending the first time around isn't really "beating the game." You're likely going to be far from done.

Rez said:
Focus at first just going through doors you haven't been through yet. From there, if you can figure out what doors to go into from the story bits you got to that point, you can try and figure out how to get to the other endings. If you don't want to bother at that point trying to think it out, look up the flowchart.

XiaNaphryz said:
I feel like we should just keep reposting Feep's bit everytime someone is still in the early game. ;)

I totally agree. My first play through had me intrigued, but kind of underwhelmed due the abruptness, and my second play through had sold me on the premise wholesale.

Rez said:

Just keep playing and choosing different combinations of doors to get different endings. Pay attention to the characters and what they do, and it should give you ideas as to which things to try next time around.

totowhoa

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Fair warning, getting an ending the first time around isn't really "beating the game." You're likely going to be far from done.

Ah, yes, I'm aware of this. I still can't quite imagine how the endings could build on one another in such a way, but I'm quite aware that ending one is only the beginning... I got super eager over the last day or two and read a fair bit of this thread. I was even tempted by the spoiler thread... but I've refrained, and will continue to do so. More than anything, I'm interested in seeing how this game effectively executes the requirement of obtaining multiple endings to obtain a complete ending.... all the while keeping the player going back for one more round and finale.

Sklorenz said:
Ah, yes, I'm aware of this. I still can't quite imagine how the endings could build on one another in such a way, but I'm quite aware that ending one is only the beginning... I got super eager over the last day or two and read a fair bit of this thread. I was even tempted by the spoiler thread... but I've refrained, and will continue to do so. More than anything, I'm interested in seeing how this game effectively executes the requirement of obtaining multiple endings to obtain a complete ending.... all the while keeping the player going back for one more round and finale.

Trust me, the game purposely holds its cards close to its chest so that information trickles out at a controlled rate. By the time you've obtained one ending, you will have obtained pieces to a large puzzle. Subsequent endings yield more information and plenty of questions as to how the pieces of the puzzle fit together. That's the ingenuity behind the storytelling, and reason why you'll replay it over and over - it raises as many (or more) questions as it provides answers, forcing the player to ponder and speculate.

And for the love of good storytelling, DO NOT READ ANY SPOILERS, ABSTAIN AT ALL COSTS.

ataboada

I finally finished it with all the endings! Graduating to the SPOILERS thread now =).

Don't need to add much about how good the game is, since most of the other posts speak for themselves. I just want to add two points that I came up with after the experience:

1. If there are any forum lurkers hanging around wondering why it is that this thread has been alive for so long, I strongly recommend you to jump into the game feet first and with no expectations. Only know that storytelling is the game's most important asset, and as such you are in for a lot more reading than playtime. Notice how well the game has hooked players regardless.

2. If you already have the game, but have lost motivation to finish it due to the quirky "run through the whole game once again" experience, try to at least brave yourselves through it once more, and one more time, and again to get to enjoy the rewarding finale. If anything, do it for all of the puzzles that wouldn't otherwise being accessed without the replays.

The whole experience was a treat, and I really think people's enthusiasm on this thread helped fuel my want to complete the experience. I hope everyone takes advantage of that.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
ataboada said:
I finally finished it with all the endings! Graduating to the SPOILERS thread now =).

Don't need to add much about how good the game is, since most of the other posts speak for themselves. I just want to add two points that I came up with after the experience:

1. If there are any forum lurkers hanging around wondering why it is that this thread has been alive for so long, I strongly recommend you to jump into the game feet first and with no expectations. Only know that storytelling is the game's most important asset, and as such you are in for a lot more reading than playtime. Notice how well the game has hooked players regardless.

2. If you already have the game, but have lost motivation to finish it due to the quirky "run through the whole game once again" experience, try to at least brave yourselves through it once more, and one more time, and again to get to enjoy the rewarding finale. If anything, do it for all of the puzzles that wouldn't otherwise being accessed without the replays.

The whole experience was a treat, and I really think people's enthusiasm on this thread helped fuel my want to complete the experience. I hope everyone takes advantage of that.

Well said my friend! The 999 love is strong here :D

We're super ecstatic everyone is enjoying it so much!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys. I'll try it guide-less for now. One more question. How long is the typical playthrough?

Rez said:
Thanks guys. I'll try it guide-less for now. One more question. How long is the typical playthrough?

The first one is longest since you can't skip any text, and they continuously get shorter as you get to more repeated text (though you will find that some stuff you read before takes on a new meaning during subsequent playthroughs, so don't get too hasty).

First playthrough is maybe... 6-7 hours?

Top Bottom