• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Seraphis Cain said:
Ugh. Finished the game a bit ago, and got what I assume is the worst ending
(Junpei dies :( )
. I tried starting a new game, and even with the fast forward thing, I just...totally don't want to play through it again. Much less five more times. I guess I feel kinda...let down. Like if I'd gotten a better ending, I'd be a bit more inclined to play through it again.

I dunno. I almost want to just go spoil myself on the other endings and get rid of the game or something. Convince me not to, guys. =/
Not enough info to tell if that's the worst. ;)

Feep put it best:

Feep said:
In my opinion, it starts out underwhelming.

Then it is whelming.

Then it is overwhelming.

Then you realize why it HAD to be underwhelming to be overwhelming.

And the light is true.

Spoiling yourself dramatically reduces the impact of the story. Stick with it!

Korigama

Seraphis Cain said:
Ugh. Finished the game a bit ago, and got what I assume is the worst ending
(Junpei dies :( )
. I tried starting a new game, and even with the fast forward thing, I just...totally don't want to play through it again. Much less five more times. I guess I feel kinda...let down. Like if I'd gotten a better ending, I'd be a bit more inclined to play through it again.

Quick question first:
who else died aside from Junpei in your ending?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
XiaNaphryz said:
Not enough info to tell if that's the worst. ;)

Feep put it best:

Spoiling yourself dramatically reduces the impact of the story. Stick with it!

See, the thing is, I'm the type of person who really can't get into RPG's (though oddly enough Earthbound is my favorite game ever), so getting into this game was a huge deal for me. The more "wordy" a game is, the less I can get into it. And feeling like I invested so much time into 999 only to have the proverbial chair pulled out from under me really sucks.

Eh, I just don't know...how much faster, in general, are subsequent playthroughs compared to the first playthrough?

Korigama said:
Quick question first:
who else died aside from Junpei in your ending?

Snake and Lotus
. So, judging by what I've been asked so far, I can assume that the ending I got wasn't the absolute worst. But it still sucked. =/

Seraphis Cain said:
Eh, I just don't know...how much faster, in general, are subsequent playthroughs compared to the first playthrough?

I was able to get through one in 20 minutes. Of course I had gone through most of the doors already in that one. Going through all different doors is probably a couple of hours, maybe less. Depends on which ending you're shooting for. True and the one you need to get True are looooooooooooong though.

XiaNaphryz

Seraphis Cain said:
You can fast-forward through text you've already seen, but you'll have to replay puzzles. But that should go pretty quickly as you already know the solution. For example, in the first room
you just need to find the keys, and then enter the combinations for the briefcases. Just write down the combinations if you don't want to remember them.

XiaNaphryz said:
For example, in the first room
you just need to find the keys, and then enter the combinations for the briefcases. Just write down the combinations if you don't want to remember them.

I love that. I feel so accomplished when I breeze by that room, especially after the fact that I must have spent the most time in that room in comparison to others...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
spindashing said:
I love that. I feel so accomplished when I breeze by that room, especially after the fact that I must have spent the most time in that room in comparison to others...

Thanks to the demo, I breezed through that room in my first playthrough. :lol

spindashing said:
Haha. Man, I spent so much time
deciphering those two strips of paper. Then I looked inside the stove. My first reaction after using the screwdriver on the painting: "This Zero guy sure is an asshole." XD

I just did another playthrough and got
Bad Ending. The one where CLOVER kills everyone...
HOLY SHIT! I can't believe that happened...
What a psycho bitch!! I hope there is an ending where Junpei stabs her ass... That bitch killed JUNE!
Anyway, I have got both the Axe ending and the Knife ending. Hopefully they are happier than the ones I have got.

Man this game is so damn amazing. I hope they bring out more like this. I heard on "Warning a Huge Podcast" that SteinsGate is also a damn good one. Maybe Aksys can localize that one next! =D (Please!?)

Korigama

Seraphis Cain said:
Snake and Lotus
. So, judging by what I've been asked so far, I can assume that the ending I got wasn't the absolute worst. But it still sucked. =/

Definitely not the worst, just the most underwhelming. The others have much more impact, and are well worth experiencing for yourself as opposed to spoiling.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I'm loving all the new converts to the church of 999 :D

I wish I could play it for the first time all over again too ;)

P.S. I'm excited to see Chunsoft answer the questions we compiled from all the entries mwahaha
I sifted through them all personally ;)

gdt

A good bit in the game, just beat the steam room, and I'm now in the warehouse. How much left in the game? For a first playthrough, I guess.

gdt5016 said:
A good bit in the game, just beat the steam room, and I'm now in the warehouse. How much left in the game? For a first playthrough, I guess.

You’re about 90% done for your first playthrough. I can’t wait to see what ending you get....reading the reactions to the endings will never get old!

LiK

Akselziys said:
I'm loving all the new converts to the church of 999 :D

I wish I could play it for the first time all over again too ;)

P.S. I'm excited to see Chunsoft answer the questions we compiled from all the entries mwahaha
I sifted through them all personally ;)
Did they answer any of mine?!

Korigama

tetrisgrammaton said:
Man, whoever wrote this game must really hate women.
Tricky I Shadow said:

If I were to guess (MAJOR SPOILERS),
it's probably the fact that every single woman in the game has been held hostage with a deadly weapon at some point, in addition to all of them having died in violent ways across the endings, with Clover not only receiving all of this (and having the guy who killed her use her death to gloat to her brother no less), but even being broken mentally and emotionally by the ordeal and subsequently losing all humanity to twist into something no longer her in one ending

I think I stumbled onto the true ending's path.
I did Coffin's path and suddenly the screen went white before the ending finished!
Hot damn!

SON of a BITCH, I beat the game. I'm not going to leave too much of my feelings over the endings but I'll just say something to those who are still deciding over playing this game/continuing this game.

Keep playing. Try your best to not spoil yourself. Someone else put it nicely...

Feep said:

Then it is whelming.

Then it is overwhelming.

And the light is true.

It's so true. The story is awesome. It's one of the best stories that I've ever played...

Now off to Ghost Trick! I'll be peeking in this thread to witness others playing through this game currently/for their first time.

Just remember...

2cr9ff7.gif

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Just to let everyone know, we received the answers from Chunsoft today from all the questions that were asked by you, the fans :D

79 total @_@, out of the zillion or so we received, so it should be very enlightening and awesome ;)

We're currently translating all them, but will be creating a page on the official 999 site (with a massive spoilers disclaimer of course) and making a post on our front page when it's ready and launched :)

Can't wait!

Korigama

Akselziys said:
Just to let everyone know, we received the answers from Chunsoft today from all the questions that were asked by you, the fans :D

79 total @_@, out of the zillion or so we received, so it should be very enlightening and awesome ;)

We're currently translating all them, but will be creating a page on the official 999 site (with a massive spoilers disclaimer of course) and making a post on our front page when it's ready and launched :)

Can't wait!

Sounds good, looking forward to it.

Korigama said:
If I were to guess (MAJOR SPOILERS),
it's probably the fact that every single woman in the game has been held hostage with a deadly weapon at some point, in addition to all of them having died in violent ways across the endings, with Clover not only receiving all of this (and having the guy who killed her use her death to gloat to her brother no less), but even being broken mentally and emotionally by the ordeal and subsequently losing all humanity to twist into something no longer her in one ending

Yeah pretty much all of this. :)

totowhoa

Banned
Quite a few hours in. Just got the game today. Here's where I'm at and how I feel thus far:

Just got to the second area with a few set of doors a few moments ago. I hope this game doesn't get too supernatural on me, though. So far, this game has prompted me to go to google/wikipedia several times just to see if the information is true or not... I've learned a few new things, anyway! Enjoying it so far, despite its fanfic level of writing. Hoping the plot picks up soon. So far it's been pretty fun, and the puzzle rooms aren't too hard, save for the first which I had to use google to figure out when I first played the demo. All the Titanic stuff is cool and the goofy pseudoscience stuff, but I guess I haven't gotten to a whole lot of the plot/twist parts yet? I dunno, I'm still just wandering through a ship now and just enjoying the bit of mystery... not crazy story excitement for me yet like the rest of the internet claims. Looking forward to it still.

Belisarius

Neo Member
Sorry for the wait!

Lain said:
Was an avatar already requested/done with June surprise animation when talking with Junpei about the Titanic? Cause if not, I'd request it! It was a funny expression of surprise she had.

jOsRH.gif

cosmicblizzard said:
I'd love to join the 999 avatar society, but I'm kind of doing the insane face avatars now and pretty much all the ones in this game are massive spoilers :/

Q7O7I.jpg

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
On a related note, can someone whip me up an avatar featuring June?

zAVWU.gif

XiaNaphryz

Sklorenz said:
Quite a few hours in. Just got the game today. Here's where I'm at and how I feel thus far:

Just got to the second area with a few set of doors a few moments ago. I hope this game doesn't get too supernatural on me, though. So far, this game has prompted me to go to google/wikipedia several times just to see if the information is true or not... I've learned a few new things, anyway! Enjoying it so far, despite its fanfic level of writing. Hoping the plot picks up soon. So far it's been pretty fun, and the puzzle rooms aren't too hard, save for the first which I had to use google to figure out when I first played the demo. All the Titanic stuff is cool and the goofy pseudoscience stuff, but I guess I haven't gotten to a whole lot of the plot/twist parts yet? I dunno, I'm still just wandering through a ship now and just enjoying the bit of mystery... not crazy story excitement for me yet like the rest of the internet claims. Looking forward to it still.
The awesome crazy won't get apparent until a couple of playthroughs/endings.

totowhoa

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
The awesome crazy won't get apparent until a couple of playthroughs/endings.

I'm fine with that as long as the first warrants more! Still definitely enjoying the time thus far. I'm really interested in how they could implement so many different paths/endings to create a broader and more fulfilling story effectively despite repetition. (I know replays are sped up, though)

Belisarius said:
Sorry for the wait!

jOsRH.gif

Q7O7I.jpg

zAVWU.gif
Awesome. I genuinely got a chuckle out of that. Thanks for the effort! Gonna switch over to that soon :D

On a side note, I only play the game before bed due to te immersion factor but I'm almost done with my second playthrough and the route I chose this time around is WAAAAYYY more interesting than my first playthrough. I have a feeling I may have stumbled upon one of the better ending paths as well.

XiaNaphryz

Sklorenz said:
I'm fine with that as long as the first warrants more!
For some people, it takes two playthroughs. As Feep mentions above, the game can start a bit underwhelming for many people.

totowhoa

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
For some people, it takes two playthroughs. As Feep mentions above, the game can start a bit underwhelming for many people.

Does the game force you into a new path the second time? Feel free to spoiler the answer, just looking for a yes/no out of curiosity. Also... and I haven't read the whole thread, but
are the doors you choose the primary source for many (I assume not all) of the endings?

Korigama

Lain said:
Thanks!
Now where do I find a rotating avatar host?! XD

Here you go.

http://signavatar.com/

Sklorenz said:
Does the game force you into a new path the second time? Feel free to spoiler the answer, just looking for a yes/no out of curiosity. Also... and I haven't read the whole thread, but
are the doors you choose the primary source for many (I assume not all) of the endings?

1st question: No.

2nd question:
For most of them, yes. Responses also factor into certain other ones.

I just beat it again and got the
Submarine ending. Wow, this ending was crazier and much sadder than the others, with everyone getting killed. :| I had it play through the credits, hoping that it would show the killer, but it didn't. I hope the next ending is a happier one. I have gotten the Submarine, the Knife and the Axe.
Well, off to maybe start another playthrough.

ataboada

I have beat the game around 9 to 10 times but I still need two endings,
and I can't get one before I get the other (you all know what I mean)

I will have to recur to Gamefaqs for the flowchart, since I am wasting lots of precious time believing I'll get a better combination. It has been fun until the subsequent play-throughs where I got disappointing results.

XiaNaphryz

ataboada said:
I will have to recur to Gamefaqs for the flowchart, since I am wasting lots of precious time believing I'll get a better combination. It has been fun until the subsequent play-throughs where I got disappointing results.
If you think about it enough, you can kind of figure out the order of rooms to get the endings on your own. But if you're starting to get frustrated, the flowchart's not a bad idea.

JoeFu

Banned
Borrowed the game from my brother last weekend, just "beat" it a few hours ago... what a depressing ending I got.
I got the submarine one...

I kinda feel like not beating it however many times I have to, but I really want to see what the true ending is like so I'll will my way through it.

XiaNaphryz

JoeFu said:
Borrowed the game from my brother last weekend, just "beat" it a few hours ago... what a depressing ending I got.
I got the submarine one...

I kinda feel like not beating it however many times I have to, but I really want to see what the true ending is like so I'll will my way through it.
Must be repeated. :D

Feep said:

Then it is whelming.

Then it is overwhelming.

And the light is true.
You're still at the first step!

gdt

What the fuck kind of ending was that?

Great cliffhanger, but I didn't learn shit lol.

Ace and Snake dead, Clover too. June disappears in the Chapel, and Junpei is left screaming with knockout gas going off.

Do I "Continue" the game, or do I "Begin with memories" to start a second playthrough? And how long will that second (and further) play-through take? I gotta know more, asap!

gdt5016 said:
What the fuck kind of ending was that?

Great cliffhanger, but I didn't learn shit lol.

Ace and Snake dead, Clover too. June disappears in the Chapel, and Junpei is left screaming with knockout gas going off.

Do I "Continue" the game, or do I "Begin with memories" to start a second playthrough? And how long will that second (and further) play-through take? I gotta know more, asap!

Begin with memories, that way you can skip through text you've already seen (you will really appreciate this, trust me).

gdt

Moving through at a good clip.

Got to the first choice of the game, again.

Last time I went through door 5, so should pick door 4 for this playthrough? But if I don't see 9's wristband (and subsequently notice it missing later), that would change the story, right?

Top Bottom