• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

survivor

Banned
gdt5016 said:
I've gotten

the Submarine and
The one where Ace goes nuts, kills Clover, holds Lotus hostage, Snake dies killing, and Junpei is gassed right after losing June. Don't know the name, maybe that's the Coffin?

So you have gotten
the Sub and Safe ending. If you are not planning on doing any more playthroughs you can just go for the True ending now. Though it does require some dialogue choices. I assume you looked at the flowchart?

gdt

survivor said:
So you have gotten
the Sub and Safe ending. If you are not planning on doing any more playthroughs you can just go for the True ending now. Though it does require some dialogue choices. I assume you looked at the flowchart?

Meh, I wanna get all of them. I want everything :lol.

I'm looking at the flowchart now, and I guess I'll tackle Axe. Looks like it's just
doors 5, 8, then 1 for that one.

gdt5016 said:
I've gotten

the Submarine and
The one where Ace goes nuts, kills Clover, holds Lotus hostage, Snake dies killing, and Junpei is gassed right after losing June. Don't know the name, maybe that's the Coffin?

Go into
Door 5, Door 7 then Door 1.

Edit: LOL, beaten by like 3 seconds.

survivor

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Meh, I wanna get all of them. I want everything :lol.

I'm looking at the flowchart now, and I guess I'll tackle Axe. Looks like it's just
doors 5, 8, then 1 for that one.
Yeah getting all the endings before the final one is better. Gives you more knowledge of other characters. Just a note
The Coffin ending is pretty much a much shorter version of the True ending. So you are not missing anything since you can't get it now.

gdt

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ME.

I've already been through 8, I had to go through 7 again (for some reason 8 wasn't greyed out). I should have been saving goddamit. An entire night flushed down the toilet. Back at the first puzzle.

GuardianE said:
Bad endings are PART of the game. If you don't get bad endings, you're missing some of the most important parts of the story. A bad ending doesn't mean "you lose." If anything, a duplicate ending means "you lose" and simply seeing a new ending is progress.

I just have a ton of games to play on 360, DS, and PS3. I plowed through 999 today so I could move on to something else and got a hella shitty ending. Just don't know how much more time I want to invest into a single game that isn't SSFIV or Black Ops lol. It was good, but I'm not playing through something 2+ times.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
I just have a ton of games to play on 360, DS, and PS3. I plowed through 999 today so I could move on to something else and got a hella shitty ending. Just don't know how much more time I want to invest into a single game that isn't SSFIV or Black Ops lol
This probably isn't the game for you, then.

timetokill said:
It was the use of "hella" that tipped me off :\
I say hella, and I've been a fan of this game since day 0. ;)

This game just isn't for everyone (though that can be said for any game), at least people are giving it a shot. But I would suggest that people new to the game go beyond just one playthrough to get a better grasp of it.

I just have a ton of games to play on 360, DS, and PS3. I plowed through 999 today so I could move on to something else and got a hella shitty ending. Just don't know how much more time I want to invest into a single game that isn't SSFIV or Black Ops lol

You've really only played 1/5 of the game if you're gonna stop at one ending, maybe even less. The other endings aren't some optional thing that only perfectionists do, they're literally necessary for the main story.

Maybe try to get one more ending just to see how quickly you can blow through the game on a second playthrough and maybe you'll get interested again. If it's really that much trouble, then give up. Game isn't for everyone.

Feep

Banned
I really enjoyed it. I just dont't have the time to play through this 2, 3, or whatever times to get the proper ending.
It's hard to tell you how important the alternate endings are, and how they relate to the proper ending, without massive spoilers, but you should really power through on this one. As it is now, you have absolutely no closure, no idea what really happened, and you're missing a very large part of the game.

But, c'est la vie.

P.S. "Hella" is normal slang in NorCal and other parts of the country, so yeah, I'm with Frank on this one...don't be dicks, guys.

Edit: Frank, and to prevent having to play through the game TOO many times, use this handy spoiler-free flowchart: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/61438

You need to get the
Safe
ending first, if you haven't already, but it's full of great stuff, not just a "bad" ending.

Double edit: remember you can speed through text you've already seen hyper-fast by holding down right on the D-Pad!

cosmicblizzard said:
You've really only played 1/5 of the game if you're gonna stop at one ending, maybe even less. The other endings aren't some optional thing that only perfectionists do, they're literally necessary for the main story.

Maybe try to get one more ending just to see how quickly you can blow through the game on a second playthrough and maybe you'll get interested again. If it's really that much trouble, then give up. Game isn't for everyone.

Feep said:
It's hard to tell you how important the alternate endings are, and how they relate to the proper ending, without massive spoilers, but you should really power through on this one. As it is now, you have absolutely no closure, no idea what really happened, and you're missing a very large part of the game.

But, c'est la vie.

P.S. "Hella" is normal slang in NorCal and other parts of the country, so yeah, I'm with Frank on this one...don't be dicks, guys.

Thanks guys. I'll give it another shot. Ghost Trick will have to wait.

Sofo

I'm curious, because I want to get this game, after the first playthrough (ending, I guess?) are puzzles different from the first one? I just can't get enough of those things.

Definitely my next DS game, whenever I can get my hands on it.

Feep said:

I know where it's from -- I'm from SoCal. Nothing grates like "hella" to my ear, though. Ugh.

(But it was a joke anyway, lighten up fellas.)

Feep

Banned
Sofo said:
I'm curious, because I want to get this game, after the first playthrough (ending, I guess?) are puzzles different from the first one? I just can't get enough of those things.

Definitely my next DS game, whenever I can get my hands on it.
Which ending you get is determined by different choices you make on where to go. If you make different choices, you will see different puzzles.

So yes!

No problem. If you absolutely have to, go right for the
safe
ending since it should almost guarantee you'll be interested enough to get the true ending if you've enjoyed the game so far. It kind of gives you too much knowledge to fully enjoy the other endings, but it's up to you.

Also glad you're playing Ghost Trick too since that's the PERFECT game to play after this one imo.

Got the
Submarine
ending. Working on the
Safe
ending now. After that, I'll do every other ending aside from the
true ending, as I want to save the best for last.
:)

Unless, of course, you guys have suggestions on how I should go about this?

Got the
Submarine
ending. Working on the
Safe
ending now. After that, I'll do every other ending aside from the
true ending, as I want to save the best for last.
:)

Unless, of course, you guys have suggestions on how I should go about this?

As I just said, you should NOT get the
safe
ending before getting the other 2 bad ones unless you don't care to further the mystery. Of course since you're getting all the endings anyway, I say go for
knife
next and then
axe

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just got the true ending. One of the few "mystery" storyline's where i found the answers to the mysteries to be even more compelling and interesting than the mysteries themselves. But man all those revelations, going take me a while to take it all in. I also really liked the fact that it stayed grounded in
science and pseudo-science, and never introduced any supernatural elements.

Overall a fantastic experience, while some of the exposition and unnatural anime-ish dialogue was slightly off-putting, the actual plotting and how the
endings tied into each other
was genuinely well-done. Although i think some of the twists and revelations felt a bit messy to me such as the
this door is actually not 9 but Q, and this person number is actually x.
. The former felt a tad to convenient especially.

Time to read through the spoiler thread!

The thing is you haven't technically finished the game. Think of it as a normal game that has split it's main ending into 5 different endings.:lol

Sofo

Feep said:
Which ending you get is determined by different choices you make on where to go. If you make different choices, you will see different puzzles.

So yes!

Alright, awesome, thanks!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lafiel said:
I also really liked the fact that it stayed grounded in
science and pseudo-science, and never introduced any supernatural elements.

well, that's a bit of a stretch. it might as well have been magic.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rez said:
well, that's a bit of a stretch. it might as well have been magic.
Haha yeah
but i prefer pseudo-science over supernatural elements! it just sounds nicer, even if they aren't that far off from each other in terms of plausibility

On my third playthrough, finally, after getting sidetracked by Nier. I just got out of Rm 4, and decided to take the
Bookmark. Santa's weird admission of hating hope, faith, love and luck and then casually stating that he was a stockbroker weird me the hell out. Just had a glance at the flowchart to make sure I don't get the safe ending. Looks like I'm on track to getting coffin. Then I'll try for axe.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
On my third playthrough, finally, after getting sidetracked by Nier. I just got out of Rm 4, and decided to take the
Bookmark. Santa's weird admission of hating hope, faith, love and luck and then casually stating that he was a stockbroker weird me the hell out. Just had a glance at the flowchart to make sure I don't get the safe ending. Looks like I'm on track to getting coffin. Then I'll try for axe.

Why are you getting
coffin
? It's just the True ending cut off. You'll get both icons for getting the true ending.

cosmicblizzard said:
Why are you getting
coffin
? It's just the True ending cut off. You'll get both icons for getting the true ending.
Really? No one was talking about that one and people were mentioning
Safe
a lot as one to avoid since it gave away a lot.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Really? No one was talking about that one and people were mentioning
Safe
a lot as one to avoid since it gave away a lot.

Okay, here's the order you should basically go in (in my opinion):

1. Axe/Knife/Sub (get all 3 in any order)
2. Safe
3. Coffin/True (you'll get both since you got Safe already)

It wasn't the way I did it, but it's close. At any rate, in terms of revelations, I think that's the best path to take.

timetokill said:
Okay, here's the order you should basically go in (in my opinion):

1. Axe/Knife/Sub (get all 3 in any order)
2. Safe
3. Coffin/True (you'll get both since you got Safe already)

It wasn't the way I did it, but it's close. At any rate, in terms of revelations, I think that's the best path to take.
Alright. I made a save right before deciding whether or not to take Santa's little gift, so I'll just choose a different door to set me towards another ending then. I was playing a bit before your reply came up and learned about
Alice.
so that's what I saw in the
Knife
ending! Game just waded into WTF territory again lol

Broseybrose

This thread has a new subscriber, as i just received my copy of 999 from Amazon this morning. Im going in completely blind, other than the knowledge that its a predominately story-based game.

I did the same thing 3 years ago with The World Ends With You and it consumed 200+ hours of my life. What a surprise that was. I havent been a JRPG guy since Final Fantasy 3 (American version for SNES).

Im excited to get started! I also picked up Picross 3D and Elite Beat Agents, as Rhythm Heaven is one of the DS games i play the most.

Korigama

Feep said:

My apologies, then (as it stands, I admit that I wasn't particularly patient in addressing his concerns).

Totakeke

Belisarius said:
Just a heads-up everyone: The results of our 999 Q/A submissions are now UP, for everyone to see! You can find them if you go to http://www.aksysgames.com/999 and click the "answers" tab.

You should know, though, that they contain MASSIVE SPOILERS. If you aren't ready to move to the Spoiler Thread, you probably shouldn't be reading them.

I don't get it. Is the link another puzzle or something? It's like I'm stuck in an infinite loop!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Totakeke said:
I don't get it. Is the link another puzzle or something? It's like I'm stuck in an infinite loop!
Erm, you just click-through the age check and click the Answers tab at the bottom of the main site.

Totakeke

XiaNaphryz said:
Erm, you just click-through the age check and click the Answers tab at the bottom of the main site.

Hmm, for some reason Chrome keeps redirecting me to the main Aksys site. Works in IE though.

Takuhi

WOW.

Some mind-blowing stuff in that interview! Loved the background on Ace that never made it into the game.

I saw some interviews with Uchikoshi after the Japanese release and he NEVER mentioned anything about
"larger schemes" or what happens next with June/Junpei.
I definitely get the impression that the guy has been thinking a lot about a 999 sequel lately. Bet that's all thanks to you, Aksys!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Belisarius said:
Just a heads-up everyone: The results of our 999 Q/A submissions are now UP, for everyone to see! You can find them if you go to http://www.aksysgames.com/999 and click the "answers" tab.

You should know, though, that they contain MASSIVE SPOILERS. If you aren't ready to move to the Spoiler Thread, you probably shouldn't be reading them.

Ah, that was awesome, and quite a revealing set of answers. A lot of good questions that never crossed my mind. I'm actually really surprised just how many calculations went into the tiniest details of the story.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
With the Akinator topic coming back up on the OT side, I decided to give it a whirl. Guess who's in there now:

hzOhh.png

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mzo said:
From the Q and A:

"You are right. It is the power of love."

*dead*

Those parts from the Q&A actually lowered my appreciation of the storyline, but they were some parts increased it, so i guess my opinion of the story hasn't changed!

Top Bottom