• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Mzo

Lafiel said:
Those parts from the Q&A actually lowered my appreciation of the storyline, but they were some parts increased it, so i guess my opinion of the story hasn't changed!

Makes one man weep; makes another man sing.

Taoofberg

Finished the Sub, the Knife, the Coffin and the Note,
I no longer have any what's going to happen when I choose different paths. But it makes sense in hindsight, so that's a fulfilling sense of confusion.
Not pleased about the Coffin ending in 'to be continued' rather than 'the end...or is it?' though.

Just got the axe ending. Gonna go for safe and true tomorrow. But seriously, what the hell?
I had originally believed that the game was just the same sequence of events unfolding but you learned different things depending upon which group you ended up with. I came to that conclusion due to Lotus dying and having her bracelet stolen in the knife and sub ending. So I assumed that Junpei would find Clover dead after he noticed her missing only to be thrown for a loop. The bizarre trance that Junpei fell into coupled with his describing Clover as seemingly divine makes me wonder if she isn't Allice herself. After all, Seven said that she was aboard the ship, and I had seen her coffin in the chapel as part of the knife ending, not to mention the Allice file with the hieroglyphs. That and the whole information being sent through fields/mind control and Clover bringing up Locke's socks seems to support that theory. Also, Axe Ending had Ace walking off with Lotus cause he had to "show her something". That pretty much supports my theory of Ace being Zero. He could've killed Snake too since 1+2+0=3. Can't wait to see what is unraveled upon seeing Safe.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Just got the axe ending. Gonna go for safe and true tomorrow. But seriously, what the hell?
I had originally believed that the game was just the same sequence of events unfolding but you learned different things depending upon which group you ended up with. I came to that conclusion due to Lotus dying and having her bracelet stolen in the knife and sub ending. So I assumed that Junpei would find Clover dead after he noticed her missing only to be thrown for a loop. The bizarre trance that Junpei fell into coupled with his describing Clover as seemingly divine makes me wonder if she isn't Allice herself. After all, Seven said that she was aboard the ship, and I had seen her coffin in the chapel as part of the knife ending, not to mention the Allice file with the hieroglyphs. That and the whole information being sent through fields/mind control and Clover bringing up Locke's socks seems to support that theory. Also, Axe Ending had Ace walking off with Lotus cause he had to "show her something". That pretty much supports my theory of Ace being Zero. He could've killed Snake too since 1+2+0=3. Can't wait to see what is unraveled upon seeing Safe.
Keep playing. ;)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh this is delicious.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You think you know where this game is going but you don't know. You think you know the brand of absurdity the game will employ, but you don't know. It's unknowable. No one can know. This is what I now know.

Oh my god. Thank you guys. Thank you for constantly reassuring me that this game is so incredibly batshit insane that whatever crazy, outlandish, seemingly logical theory that I'm able to devise in order to make sense of it all is miles upon fucking miles off the mark. This thread has almost been as entertaining as the game itself, and my only regret is that it is so close to ending. I'm thinking I'm going to lend this to a friend for the lulz afterward haha

hank_tree

Just picked this up last week and I can't put it down. Translation is good so far except that they keep saying "June headed upstairs" etc. That makes me cringe a little bit. Other than that it's an ace game and I can't wait to finish it.

Just got my first ending last night,
Submarine, we all got killed

Going through again, very entertaining so far and my curiosity is higher now than it ever was the first time through :)

Belisarius

Neo Member
hank_tree said:
Just picked this up last week and I can't put it down. Translation is good so far except that they keep saying "June headed upstairs" etc. That makes me cringe a little bit. Other than that it's an ace game and I can't wait to finish it.

If you don't mind my asking, why don't you like "headed"? I always thought it was a perfectly acceptable past-tense verb, which is probably why I wrote it so many times. I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'd just like to know what my mistake was so that I can correct it in the future.

Glad you're liking it, though. :)

Instro

Finished my first playthrough last night, got a bad ending :(.

Went to look for Clover and found Lotus dead. Then some asshole stabbed me in the back, what a fucking jerk. Junpei thinks about who would gain the most from killing Lotus before he gets stabbed, but I cant really think of who, I guess it has something to do with the digital root. My one possible theory is that the knife that was used to kill Lotus and Junpei was stolen from the dead body of the 9th man, since he was the only one who had a knife as far as I'm aware. With that logic I can narrow the suspects down to Ace, Seven, Clover, and Snake(whos already dead), since they were the ones that used that door at the beginning. But who knows, someone could have easily found a knife elsewhere on the ship, like that one Junpei found in the kitchen.

I gotta say though GAF was totally right about this game, its very good.

timetokill said:
Awesome, I love that people come post their theories in here while playing. Very nice.

I honestly can't wait to go back through this thread and reread all of the spoilered theories of others just so I too can laugh at how far off they are haha

hank_tree

Belisarius said:
If you don't mind my asking, why don't you like "headed"? I always thought it was a perfectly acceptable past-tense verb, which is probably why I wrote it so many times. I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'd just like to know what my mistake was so that I can correct it in the future.

Glad you're liking it, though. :)

It may actually more of a personal thing. I used to use it all the time myself in essays and such and my English teacher kept calling me out on it until it was pretty much beaten out of me. So anytime I see it used in writing it sticks out and takes me out of the experience a bit. I think we can safely say that very few other players have had my experience so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It just keeps sticking out for me.

Instro

I honestly can't wait to go back through this thread and reread all of the spoilered theories of others just so I too can laugh at how far off they are haha

I actually want to do this myself, although it would probably be awhile.

hank_tree said:
It may actually more of a personal thing. I used to use it all the time myself in essays and such and my English teacher kept calling me out on it until it was pretty much beaten out of me. So anytime I see it used in writing it sticks out and takes me out of the experience a bit. I think we can safely say that very few other players have had my experience so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It just keeps sticking out for me.

You know, it's funny that academia beats this notion of what's considered to be right and wrong into your head, and then you end up reading works by renowned authors who break so many of those same rules. For instance, Junot Diaz was a recent recipient of the Pulitzer prize and his novel The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao broke so many rules in punctuation it made my head spin. For example, he used paragraph breaks sporadically, resulting in some sections resembling walls of text, he never used quotation marks to denote that a character was speaking, and many of his sentences are fragments or run ons. Of course this did nothing to detract from his great writing style, and the book's plot, it was just something that flew in the face of everything I had been taught.

hank_tree said:

The heavy extrapolation early on in narration almost had me frustrated, but it's toned down nicely lately.

Belisarius

Neo Member
hank_tree said:

Yeah, I've have some stuff like that too, although I can't think of a good example right now, which makes my response seem a little hollow. :/

Anyway, thanks for responding. It's hard to see the faults in your own writing some times, and I thought you'd come across something that had just flown right over my head.

hank_tree said:
You know, it's funny that academia beats this notion of what's considered to be right and wrong into your head, and then you end up reading works by renowned authors who break so many of those same rules. For instance, Junot Diaz was a recent recipient of the Pulitzer prize and his novel The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao broke so many rules in punctuation it made my head spin. For example, he used paragraph breaks sporadically, resulting in some sections resembling walls of text, he never used quotation marks to denote that a character was speaking, and many of his sentences are fragments or run ons. Of course this did nothing to detract from his great writing style, and the book's plot, it was just something that flew in the face of everything I had been taught.

You might enjoy this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY
I try and give it a watch whenever I feel myself being too much of a jackass about language. Stephen Fry is an intelligent, well-spoken man, and I could listen to his voice all day.

Naruto

Man, I just got the
Code:
sub
ending, and through the entire scene I was at the edge of my seat! Great ending that left me wondering and made me ,yet again, for the fourth time, replay it.

I find the game to be incredibly suspenseful and unsettling at times. The
Code:
axe
ending reallt sent shivers down my spine.. Does anyone else feel that this game is scarier
than 90% of the big budget, HD horror games?

Oh, and how the fuck do I use spoiler tags?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If you're ever not sure how to do something, if you quote a post using it you'll see it there.
But then he'll see the spoilered text he may have been trying to avoid!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well.... Shut Up! That's why!

:p
Anti-escape orb haha

Just finished the
Safe
ending right now. Jesus, that was a mindfuck and a half. I don't even have it in me to formulate any theories due to the information overload. I will say that
I was completely wrong about Ace and Zero. Though I was correct that he was a killer. The Zero bracelet from the Captain's quarters weirded me the fuck out too. It's value is actually 6? And then June goes missing at the end? So fucking weird. Makes me wonder about June quite a bit. To be honest, every character has a reason for being on the ship (and that's tied into their past with Cradle Pharm), save for June and Junpei. June has never brought up anything that's tied to Cradle and Junpei has no idea why they're on the same ship together. That coupled with the fact that he hadn't seen her in years.... Could it have been 9 years? Can't wait to go for True tonight.

Oh and Xia -
your avatar creeps me the hell out. That ending was uber creepy.

Anti-escape orb haha

Just finished the
Safe
ending right now. Jesus, that was a mindfuck and a half. I don't even have it in me to formulate any theories due to the information overload. I will say that
I was completely wrong about Ace and Zero. Though I was correct that he was a killer. The Zero bracelet from the Captain's quarters weirded me the fuck out too. It's value is actually 6? And then June goes missing at the end? So fucking weird. Makes me wonder about June quite a bit. To be honest, every character has a reason for being on the ship (and that's tied into their past with Cradle Pharm), save for June and Junpei. June has never brought up anything that's tied to Cradle and Junpei has no idea why they're on the same ship together. That coupled with the fact that he hadn't seen her in years.... Could it have been 9 years? Can't wait to go for True tonight.

Oh and Xia -
your avatar creeps me the hell out. That ending was uber creepy.

Just wait until you get the final. :DDDDD

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just wait until you get the final. :DDDDD
I really wish I could, but it's 1 PM here and the game loses so much of its impact if not played at night in a dark room. I saw the ending about 20 minute ago and it was crazy, but I'm sure my mind would've collapsed had I viewed all of it last night instead of passing out with the DS in my hand halfway through :l

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think that's the moment where
you patch things up with Clover? Which I assume only triggers if you give her the bookmark. I'm fairly sure you don't have any actual choice in the matter once you enter the room?

Just make sure you get the bookmark in Door 4, give it to Clover in Door 7, listen to the Ice-9 and AllIce stuff as they appear and then head into door 1 and you're home-free.

gdt

Rez said:
I think that's the moment where
you patch things up with Clover? Which I assume only triggers if you give her the bookmark. I'm fairly sure you don't have any actual choice in the matter once you enter the room?

Just make sure you get the bookmark in Door 4, give it to Clover in Door 7, listen to the Ice-9 and AllIce stuff as they appear and then head into door 1 and you're home-free.

Ahhhhhhhhh. Okay. Got it. Totally forgot about that thing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
gdt5016 said:
How exactly do I
give the bookmark to Clover
?
Get it from Santa in the first place. Then in the room with Clover and Seven (the medical room, I forget the number) you'll get a prompt to hand it to her. Also make sure to ask Seven about Ice-9. This is important.

gdt

The_Technomancer said:
Get it from Santa in the first place. Then in the room with Clover and Seven (the medical room, I forget the number) you'll get a prompt to hand it to her. Also make sure to ask Seven about Ice-9. This is important.

Just asked him, and he's talking now. Come onnnnn second prompt.

Guess I'll go for True now as well. I'm gonna play through without skipping text so I can reabsorb the story though. I doubt I'll finish tonight, I'll likely just fall asleep an hour later with the DS in my hand again lol

Feep

Banned
Guess I'll go for True now as well. I'm gonna play through without skipping text so I can reabsorb the story though. I doubt I'll finish tonight, I'll likely just fall asleep an hour later with the DS in my hand again lol
Oh man, I can't wait FOR you.

My only regret is that I don't have the time to organize the glut of information I received from the safe ending in an attempt to make sense of all of the events that transpired aboard the ship. In any case I'm looking forward to seeing how the pieces all fit together, and lamenting the ending of a game that only comes along every once in awhile.

Top Bottom