• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

hank_tree

Got the
knife
and the
safe
endings last night. I was gonna try and get the other bad endings before going for the true ending but I don't think I can wait. Is it worth seeing all the other endings before I go for the true ending?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hank_tree said:
Got the
knife
and the
safe
endings last night. I was gonna try and get the other bad endings before going for the true ending but I don't think I can wait. Is it worth seeing all the other endings before I go for the true ending?
To be honest, most of the bad endings are... well, I was going to say half-assed, but they're very much intentionally vague and abrupt. Theyre cool for what they are, but the universe they present is so ineffectual to the "important" endings that it doesn't really matter. Safe and Coffin are the important ones.

Korigama

hank_tree said:
Got the
knife
and the
safe

I would still recommend going for the additional endings, mainly for the impact. Ultimately, I'd say the game wouldn't have been as memorable for me if I hadn't seen all of them, though the
knife
ending was easily the weakest one. As a warning, since you've already obtained the
safe
ending, you're no longer able to go for the
coffin
ending because it's essentially
a cut-off version of the true ending, which only halts if you hadn't seen the safe ending already. To be honest, I admit it would've been better for the experience if you hadn't seen the safe ending so soon: the impact of one in particular will be arguably less at this point
. Save the true ending for last.

EDIT: Eh, forget it then.

hank_tree

Rez said:
To be honest, most of the bad endings are... well, I was going to say half-assed, but they're very much intentionally vague and abrupt. Theyre cool for what they are, but the universe they present is so ineffectual to the "important" endings that it doesn't really matter. Safe and Coffin are the important ones.

Ok thanks. I'll just go straight for the True ending so.

gdt

Okay, just give me the answers for the final puzzle.

I fucking hate
Soduku
. I'm sick and I just want to see the end!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
gdt5016 said:
Okay, just give me the answers for the final puzzle.

I fucking hate
Soduku
. I'm sick and I just want to see the end!
But that's like the easiest sudoku puzzle ever. They give you so many numbers. :p If you really need help, look it up on GameFAQs.

gdt

Okay, finished it, fantastic ending yadda yadda yadda.

But what about those open questions at the end? Dammit.

Instro

Just got the sub ending,
I wonder if theres someone else on the ship besides Zero, I mean seems kind of weird that he would kill everyone and end the game like that.

Really interesting story, and Ive only gotten 2 endings so far.

thefil

More or less just started, a little bothered by the lack of consistency so far...

Whenever the game does generic people shouting out, it doesn't feel like the lines of dialog match any of the characters. For instance, I get the sense that characters like Snake and Ace would not be shouting, but everyone is given an exclamation point.

Snake looks at his sister with inquisitive eyes if you
tell them to split up
, despite being blind.

If you decide on door 5, you do so on the logical point that you want to
examine the body
. However, your first goal on going through door 5 is to just continue on out, specifically avoiding the body.

These are all nitpicks, but I guess I keep feeling like they aren't trying hard enough to write a convincing scenario for me.

Deku

Banned
I did pick this up recently as it showed up as a recommended title on Amazon, which I cross referenced on NeoGAF.

But i'm only able to play small chunks before I go to bed at night. Only on C Deck so far, after Door '7'.

Liking it so far. And I've managed to avoid all the spoilers.

My impression so far is decent story and decent puzzles. Based on reactions, there appears to be a twist or multiple twists.

-Story driven
-Art (I like the renders of the environments. Some are obviously CG, but others look hand drawn)

Dislikes
-anime character style. My favorite character so far is '7'
-focus on 'youth'. I think everyone is under the age of 30, most are in their early 20s! I like a gritty mystery.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah the character designs are really unfortunate

AniHawk

Deku said:
-focus on 'youth'. I think everyone is under the age of 30, most are in their early 20s! I like a gritty mystery.

Well, three of the people in the group (living anyway) are in their late 30s and older.

Korigama

Rez said:
yeah the character designs are really unfortunate
Mutagenic said:

Disagreed.

*considered the character designs one of the best things about the game*

Deku said:

Most are under 30, but as already pointed out, three are 40 and up. Not seeing what difference that makes, but whatever. I didn't feel that detracted from anything, but that's just my take.

Deku

Banned
To clarify on my 'youth' comment, this is fairly nitpicky and generic. ie: I could charge any JRPG with this.

But I think for an adventure/story driven mystery like this, it kind of detracts when you have a love story going on between Junpei and June in the middle of the Gigantic. But that's purely my opinion and I'm not hating on the game because of it.

Maybe I was expecting something less melodramatic on that level.

And I understand why it was done by Chunsoft.

Deku said:
To clarify on my 'youth' comment, this is fairly nitpicky and generic. ie: I could charge any JRPG with this.

But I think for an adventure/story driven mystery like this, it kind of detracts when you have a love story going on between Junpei and June in the middle of the Gigantic. But that's purely my opinion and I'm not hating on the game because of it.

Maybe I was expecting something less melodramatic on that level.

And I understand why it was done by Chunsoft.

A far number of mysteries have love stories as an important subplot, so I'm not sure what the problem is. But see what you think when you're finished.

Instro

So Ive gotten 4 endings so far
Knife, Sub, Axe, and Coffin in that order. It looks like the Coffin ending video is pointing me towards some sequence of doors 5,8,6 so hopefully Im on the right track to another ending. The fake Zero/Captain guy and Snake possibly being alive were quite surprising, also theres a fucking frozen mummy wandering around the ship somewhere. Im guessing Snake is inside the coffin but I suppose Ill find out sooner or later. The Axe and Sub endings were creepy as fuck too.

I really love how the story has unfolded between the different paths so far, the order in which I've gotten the endings has worked out well in that regard.

thefil

I finished my first playthrough last night. Was kind of disappointed that the game essentially said I had to play again to learn *anything*. Maybe I just did it wrong? But I feel like I didn't get much information beyond
the experiments from 9 years ago
. I'm starting a second playthrough. How many does this exactly require to get the full story?

XiaNaphryz

thefil said:
Was kind of disappointed that the game essentially said I had to play again to learn *anything*. Maybe I just did it wrong?
Playing through the game multiple times is the only way to get the entire story. Don't think of the first playthrough as finishing it once, think of it more as "completing a portion of the full game."

It'll make a lot more sense after a few more playthroughs.

gdt

thefil said:
I finished my first playthrough last night. Was kind of disappointed that the game essentially said I had to play again to learn *anything*. Maybe I just did it wrong? But I feel like I didn't get much information beyond
the experiments from 9 years ago
. I'm starting a second playthrough. How many does this exactly require to get the full story?

5, if you know what you're doing. The other playthroughs go much faster though.

Follow that chart.

XiaNaphryz

gdt5016 said:
5, if you know what you're doing. The other playthroughs go much faster though.

Follow that chart.
I suggest following the chart only when you've already gone through all the rooms you haven't seen and are ready to get the last two endings (if you didn't get the one that unlocks the true ending along the way first, anyway, in which case you just have one more to get). Maybe that's just me.

Naruto

So I got all of the endings expect for the
coffin
and the
true
ending. I followed the chart exactly as it was written, trying to get the
coffin
yet still got the
axe
one. Does anyone have an easy to understand walkthrough for those two last ones?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ending 2 is a waste of time. Skip it entirely.

Naruto said:
So I got all of the endings expect for the
coffin
and the
true
ending. I followed the chart exactly as it was written, trying to get the
coffin
yet still got the
axe
one. Does anyone have an easy to understand walkthrough for those two last ones?

Use [ ] brackets, man. lol

You can't get the coffin ending if you've already done the safe ending.

O.DOGG

I got three endings so far, the
submarine, axe, and knife
endings. And on my last playthrough I just finished, I got the
sub
one again. Damnit.

Luigi87

I finished the game the other day, all ends, and I absolutely loved it. Fantastic story and characters.

So much to think about, though the
coffin end made me feel trolled with the TO BE CONTINUED. I didn't mind though, just made me want to continue more (whilst balancing time for assignments I need done <.<) Of course I had to proceed to get the Safe end. PS - I really, really hate Ace, which I suppose is a testament to how well he is created as a hateful bastard.

I loved 999 so much in fact, on a game art forum a mini-competition to model one's own LBP Sackboy has started, and I've decided to make one of Junpei.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, you guys really REALLY need to preview your posts before you hit Submit.

So I started playing Ever17. Only played for a few minutes, but I like the setting a lot. I can already see hints of this in 999. Gonna make an LTTP thread which I think could also be used as an OT for people curious about the game after playing this.

Naruto

thetrin said:
Ending 2 is a waste of time. Skip it entirely.

Use [ ] brackets, man. lol

You can't get the coffin ending if you've already done the safe ending.

Lol yeah I edited that. I can't get the coffin ending? Damn... I wanted to go to the true ending fully prepared :(

Wait a minute, accoring to the chart everything that I had done to get the coffin ending is similiar to get to the true ending, is it not? Where was mt mistake? I
managed to get closer to clover, gave her the notepad, she was about to tell me the truth about her and her brother but we were constantly interrupted, and yet the bitch still murdered me!
What did I do wrong?

Naruto said:
Lol yeah I edited that. I can't get the coffin ending? Damn... I wanted to go to the true ending fully prepared :(

Wait a minute, accoring to the chart everything that I had done to get the coffin ending is similiar to get to the true ending, is it not? Where was mt mistake? I
managed to get closer to clover, gave her the notepad, she was about to tell me the truth about her and her brother but we were constantly interrupted, and yet the bitch still murdered me!
What did I do wrong?

Did you remember to mention Ice-9 to Seven?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The Coffin ending is the True ending that cuts off at a point

Skipping the Coffin Ending entirely and just doing safe and then True counts as a Coffin completion as well(you'll get your icon)

Unless you want to play through the True path twice there is no reason at all to do a Coffin only run

Edit: Ah you're getting axe

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/61382

I used this guide to plan ending paths.

all the numbers are at the top and True End requirements are explained in the room solutions at the bottom.

Since you've already completed the rooms and got Axe you can self-diagnose your issue spoiler free.

Korigama

Naruto said:

What did I do wrong?

Did you remember to
ask Seven about Ice-9 after listening to June's stories? You can still get axed anyway if you didn't.

EDIT: Beat me to it.

Did you
listen to all of the ice-9 conversations? You have to hear them all. The easiest one to miss is in the part behind door 7, when Seven starts to remember something - you have to ask him about ice-9, not "did you remember something?" That's the easiest way to screw up the coffin / true endings.

Naruto

Oh damn... I thought it wasn't that important :) I
cut his train of thought. I didn;t think it was important because I had already spoken to him about ice 9 the previous playthrough

I guess I need to play the game one more time. Just can't let myself not see the story finally unfolding. Hope it's worth it. Thanks for the help gaf, I knew I could count on you ;)

Oh, and XiaNaphryz,
your avatar scares the shit out of me! You know why ;) everytime I see her sadistic face I'm reminded of that scene when she reveals that she murdered everyone, and that music... Fuck, another sleepless night I guess

Instro

Finished all the endings and read through the answers on the 999 website, quite a wild ending so awesome. Thank god for that answers thing btw, I had a number of questions after finishing the game.

Is anyone submitting for that 999 caption contest? Just wanna share mine here.

2ecm45h.jpg

seady

Just got my second ending. The first one I got was
Clover's Axe
- 3rd slot, the second one was
Submarine
- 6th slot. This game gets very creepy by the end. I got more scare out of this than Dead Space 2.

How many endings there are? Are the ones I got the bad ones? Which slot of the 6 is the true ending?

Top Bottom