• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Shadow Red said:
Is anyone submitting for that 999 caption contest? Just wanna share mine here.

2ecm45h.jpg

What is the last day that you're able to submit for the 999 caption contest? I have a great idea and I'm wondering if I am too late.

pslong009

Neo Member
seady said:
Just got my second ending. The first one I got was
Clover's Axe
- 3rd slot, the second one was
Submarine
- 6th slot. This game gets very creepy by the end. I got more scare out of this than Dead Space 2.

How many endings there are? Are the ones I got the bad ones? Which slot of the 6 is the true ending?

6 endings, though one is
the true ending cut short if you haven't gotten one of the other endings.
Yes, you got bad endings. And the true ending ends up in the first slot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished getting all the endings last night. What a truly amazing game. The true ending was simply amazing. I especially liked the way
the game used the multiple endings system in the storyline, as Junpei gets informed in the "true" timeline by all of the failed timelines he's experienced via the morphogenetic field.

What a fantastic game. I really hope Aksys localizes more of Chunsoft's visual novels.

thefil

Accidentally re-took a path I took before on my second playthrough the other night, and turned off the game in anguish. Lost about an hour of progress.

I really can't stand re-doing things; I'm an avid reader, but watching the same scene play out again with only slightly different dialog and the fast-forward disabled nearly broke me. I'm considering just reading a synopsis online; not sure the game is really good enough to merit the 6 playthroughs for me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is it really that hard to remember which doors you've already been through?

If you're having that much trouble, just follow the flowchart on getting the safe ending and then the true ending. But it sounds like this just isn't your game.

thefil

XiaNaphryz said:
Is it really that hard to remember which doors you've already been through?

I wasn't paying that much attention as I had just fast-forwarded a scene, I'll admit.

XiaNaphryz said:
If you're having that much trouble, just follow the flowchart on getting the safe ending and then the true ending. But it sounds like this just isn't your game.

That's probably more it. I do want to ask one question though: is the grand mystery of this game one that you can conceivably put together on your own, that is strongly hinted at throughout but not obvious? Or does one supernatural twist at the end make it all fall together in a way that could never have been expected? I've always preferred the mysteries where it feels like things were clear all along once you finally get the final puzzle piece, as opposed to those where the reveal relies on something you had no way of every suspecting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
thefil said:
I wasn't paying that much attention as I had just fast-forwarded a scene, I'll admit.

That's probably more it. I do want to ask one question though: is the grand mystery of this game one that you can conceivably put together on your own, that is strongly hinted at throughout but not obvious? Or does one supernatural twist at the end make it all fall together in a way that could never have been expected? I've always preferred the mysteries where it feels like things were clear all along once you finally get the final puzzle piece, as opposed to those where the reveal relies on something you had no way of every suspecting.

The reveal relies on the other endings, but you'll never really figure out everything without the true ending, which reveals a LOT of what was missing from the puzzle.

Not just that, but the story itself relies on the concept of multiple endings.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
thefil said:

I...think its impossible to predict the twist yourself with any certainty, the explicit "facts" aren't there. But based on the other endings and some information you get before the final scene it doesn't feel like it pulled the rug out from under you.

thetrin

The_Technomancer said:
I...think its impossible to predict the twist yourself with any certainty, the explicit "facts" aren't there. But based on the other endings and some information you get before the final scene it doesn't feel like it pulled the rug out from under you.

Not to mention that there are pieces of the full picture that you don't get without playing the other endings. They're certainly not a waste of time either.

thefil

thetrin said:
Not to mention that there are pieces of the full picture that you don't get without playing the other endings. They're certainly not a waste of time either.

It's not the endings that I feel are a waste of time. I'm just the kind of gamer who, when losing >30 minutes of progress, is liable to put a game aside for months. So a whole game that revolves around repeating vast portions of the content is a little hard for me, even when I am interested in the story.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you're on at least your third or fourth playthrough, you should be finishing some of the endings in about 20-30 minutes tops anyway with most of the time being spent in any puzzle rooms you haven't been in yet. Repeat puzzle rooms should be a breeze. If you need to, write down answers or look them up in a FAQ, you just need to do the bare minimum to get past a room, i.e. in the very beginning
you can just enter the combinations into the briefcases directly without finding all the other items

thetrin

thefil said:
Does searching
certain places for Snake
affect anything? It seems bizarrely inconsequential to me.

It's just a chance to speak with the characters.

thefil said:
It's not the endings that I feel are a waste of time. I'm just the kind of gamer who, when losing >30 minutes of progress, is liable to put a game aside for months. So a whole game that revolves around repeating vast portions of the content is a little hard for me, even when I am interested in the story.

You should be getting subsequent playthroughs done in like, 30 min tops.

thefil

thetrin said:
It's just a chance to speak with the characters.

Then to clarify, is the only thing you need to see all the endings:
1) make all dialogue choices once
2) open all doors once
3) do each puzzle rooms once

?

thetrin

thefil said:
2) open all doors once

?

No. This is largely true for MOST endings, but the true ending requires that you do a couple very specific things.

spindashing said:
What is the last day that you're able to submit for the 999 caption contest? I have a great idea and I'm wondering if I am too late.
The deadline was yesterday but I just saw their post that they're extending it to this sunday. I wonder if I can submit more than one.

Instro

thefil said:
2) open all doors once

?

No the true ending requires a select path of doors and 2 or 3 very important dialogue choices. There is also 1 single path to another ending as well, that ending needs to be completed to get the true ending. Most of the dialogue choices don't effect the game, so for stupid stuff like when theres a question about a digital root you dont need to bother with checking the answers other than the correct one.

I might suggest the path chart to you if you dont like having to replay certain portions. I played the game without it, and found it to be very rewarding once I found the correct paths. If you want to play without the chart, try writing down the answers to puzzles that require numbers, or try remembering them, it will save you time. Two of the endings will each give you a video that show a certain path of doors, so if you get one of those it will help immensely.

jaxword

thefil said:
Does searching
certain places for Snake
affect anything? It seems bizarrely inconsequential to me.

Shows you different attitudes the characters have, also to show how there's no real cut and dry good/bad. Some of the characters seem a bit callous during that sequence, some seem nicer.

seady

Do I require to beat all the other endings before getting the true ending? Or is it possible to get the true ending the first playthrough?

seady said:
Do I require to beat all the other endings before getting the true ending? Or is it possible to get the true ending the first playthrough?

You can't get it the first playthrough. You don't have to get ALL of the endings (though it is HIGHLY recommended). You are required to get at least one of the other endings, though.

pslong009

Neo Member
seady said:

The answer to both is no. You can get the true ending without seeing all the other endings. However, you have to get a specific ending to see the true ending. So you have an absolute minimum of two required playthroughs to see the true ending, though I would be utterly shocked if someone managed to do that without using a FAQ.

Although, with
morphogenic resonance theory
, it becomes more and more likely, right?

Hey, guys, I have a couple questions about some endings.

I'm using this spoiler-free flowchart but some of the conditions confused me. I just got the
axe
ending while trying to get the
coffin
ending.

I'm pretty sure I fulfilled the first bookmark condition:
Me accepting Santa's clover bookmark, I take it. And I guess I have to be interested in the ice-9 discussion in the freezer? Thinking back, I was an ass for the sake of making new choices. Is that what screwed me over?
After that, I don't recall any of the subsequent conditions showing up, minus the
ALLICE file I found.

I just saved right before choosing doors 4 and 5 so I can proceed after I get some help, hopefully :p Also, can I get the
coffin
end if I go for the
safe
ending right now? The flowchart makes me think I can't.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Absolutely! I think that it's easily one of the most scary....disturbing games I've ever played!

Really? I thought it was relatively tame. Only thing I found mildly disturbing was
June narrating and thus describing the bodies in detail as a 12 year old.
Don't remember finding anything scary about the game.

Of course my memories may have been warped since I played Saya no Uta almost directly after this. It's hard to find anything disturbing after that.

cosmicblizzard said:
Really? I thought it was relatively tame. Only thing I found mildly disturbing was

Of course my memories may have been warped since I played Saya no Uta almost directly after this. It's hard to find anything disturbing after that.

Maybe 'scary' is too strong a word, but it was definitely very disturbing at times. Pretty much all
the endings + Ace’s reveal
were chilling. The use of music and still images created such a heavy atmosphere for me!

Volcynika

cosmicblizzard said:

Well with an avatar like that, you must be pretty desensitized.

Teppic

seady said:
You can see all endings in two playthroughs without having to replay everything (except the useless coffin ending)

Spoiler just in case someone doesn't want to know how to get endings:

1. Head for safe ending first by going through door 5 and 8.

2. Save before you choose between the last three doors.

3. Go through door 2 to see the Submarine Ending, but never save.

4. Reload save and choose door 1 instead for the Axe Ending, never save

5. Reload save and choose door 6 and get the safe ending (save)

6. Play game again for the True Ending (choose continue from the menu)

7. Go through door 4. Make sure you take the bookmark when Santa offer it to you. Make sure to talk about Ice-9 in the freezer.

8. Go through door 7. Make sure you talk about Ice-9 with Seven and give the bookmark to Clover.

9. Save before you choose between the last three doors.

10. Choose door 6 for the Knife ending, never save.

11. Reload save and go through door 1. After looking at the monitors spelled ZERO you'll get a different conversation with Clover.

thefil

This has probably already been talked about, but I'd prefer not to browse 27 pages. Just finished the true ending; what the hell was the deal with
the naked mummy chic hitchhiking at the end
? I think I understood everything else. I'm not sure I liked the
supernatural
twist, but it was an interesting game overall.

thetrin

thefil said:
This has probably already been talked about, but I'd prefer not to browse 27 pages. Just finished the true ending; what the hell was the deal with
the naked mummy chic hitchhiking at the end
? I think I understood everything else. I'm not sure I liked the
supernatural
twist, but it was an interesting game overall.

It was really just meant to be a goofy note to end the game on (since the entire epilogue is meant to be a heavy re-tune from dark and gloomy to cheery and happy.

I don't think it really meant a whole lot, to be honest. It was like Mark Wahlberg landing on Ape Earth at the end of the Planets remake (except I think that was meant to be some sort of legitimate cliffhanger instead of a goofy twist ending)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I just started. I probably won't get a DS anytime soon, so I decided to emulate it since I bought the game earlier anyways. Hopefully it doesn't recite the tutorial for all these puzzles every time I retry them after this. x:

Korigama

Teppic said:
You can see all endings in two playthroughs without having to replay everything (except the useless coffin ending)
*snip*

But then you never get the icons to go along with every ending (I'm something of a completist, though, so little things like that bother me). No offense, but this just sounds lazy to me, especially with fast forwarding through already read text accounted for in additional plays. I enjoyed this far too much to rush through it like that.

So any of you running off flashcarts know if there's a code to make text instant? This speed is killing me.

(Yes I know subsequent play-throughs have a Fast-Forward button).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Freyjadour said:
So any of you running off flashcarts know if there's a code to make text instant? This speed is killing me.

(Yes I know subsequent play-throughs have a Fast-Forward button).
Eh...I don't know if there is one, but it feels like instant speed would ruin the suspense/progression of some of the scenes.

The_Technomancer said:
Eh...I don't know if there is one, but it feels like instant speed would ruin the suspense/progression of some of the scenes.

Perhaps, but I'm ok with that. The slow text speed is so jarring in most cases anyway that it is distracting me from enjoying the game.

To each his own though, I just read really fast!

Edit: Does the tutorial text go away completely? I might be not mind it as much if so.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The game is really really good so far, although they probably should have corrected Gigantic's name as it was technically changed...

Kagari said:
The game is really really good so far, although they probably should have corrected Gigantic's name as it was technically changed...

Considering the Britannic sunk in World War I, it's obvious they're deviating at least slightly from recorded history.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hosannainexcelsis said:
Considering the Britannic sunk in World War I, it's obvious they're deviating at least slightly from recorded history.

Yep, although Britannic was originally named Gigantic during construction, before Titanic sunk.

Belisarius

Neo Member
Kagari said:

That's working as intended, believe me. I made quite sure.

thetrin

You guys really did an amazing job on translating the game. It can't be easy when you're dealing with a script that has 8 distinctive and persistent voices, technobabble, historical connections and lines that require honest to god pathos.

Unlike a lot of other games that lose a lot of their gravitase in translation, you guys really did a great job. That very last puzzle in the true ending (that Uchikoshi admitted the entire game was created for) was amazing. That alone elevated the game from fun adventure game to god-like status.

I really hope you guys pick up more of Chunsoft's Visual novels in the future.

Volcynika

Kagari said:
Stayed up until 4 am playing straight through from start to finish and ended up with the axe ending :(

Game glued me in the same way. When I was working towards the true ending its like "Oh...damn it's pretty late" when I was done and actually realized a lot of time had passed.

Top Bottom