• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Got this game a while back and just started yesterday when I ran out of reading material. Well... now I have reading material again! :D Is there any way to increase the text speed? I read pretty fast. I can understand them wanting to control the pacing, though.

Really liking it so far though I've only had to go through a couple puzzles.
I get the feeling I'm not gonna get laid at the end, though, I unintentionally shit on Akane's belief in curses. D'oh

LiK

Not A Fur said:
Got this game a while back and just started yesterday when I ran out of reading material. Well... now I have reading material again! :D Is there any way to increase the text speed? I read pretty fast. I can understand them wanting to control the pacing, though.

Really liking it so far though I've only had to go through a couple puzzles.
I get the feeling I'm not gonna get laid at the end, though, I unintentionally shit on Akane's belief in curses. D'oh
Nope, you can only skip text that you read already.

LiK said:
Nope, you can only skip text that you read already.

As in repeated instructions/searches or subsequent playthroughs? What is this magical FF button anyhow?

I mean I understand the Visual Novel sequences, but the whole 3 minutes of explanation about how to touch the numbers on a briefcase lock to make them change was kind of irritating.

Instro

Freyjadour said:
As in repeated instructions/searches or subsequent playthroughs? What is this magical FF button anyhow?

I mean I understand the Visual Novel sequences, but the whole 3 minutes of explanation about how to touch the numbers on a briefcase lock to make them change was kind of irritating.

Its the right button on the d-pad. It allows you to skip anything you've already seen or read in subsequent playthroughs, it will stop automatically when you encounter any new text or scenes.

LiK

Instro said:
Its the right button on the d-pad. It allows you to skip anything you've already seen or read in subsequent playthroughs, it will stop automatically when you encounter any new text or scenes.
This. VROOM.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Freyjadour said:

That explanation stuff is only really prevalent in the intro puzzle.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Instro said:
I read somewhere that it'll go even faster if you hold down the L button as well. Never tried it though to see if it was true.

Phenomic

Okay GAF I picked up this game since it's got so much love from the interwebs. However I have questions I that would like to be answered with out spoilers if possible.

I'm in school full time and working pretty much when I'm not in school. So I don't have a ton of time to play this game multiple times over and over and get various endings. (Tagging spoilers to explain what I want to do.)

I read that you had to get a certain ending, to unlock the "true" or good ending. Is there anyway to do this in a shorter amount of time? (without spoiling) Essentially, how I can go about only playing through the two endings I need? I don't want to really read a walk-through to do it but I would like to run through this game without taking a large amount of hours. Basically, so I can move on to other things that have to get done/played. I imagine some of it just has to be kind of a guessing game though, or supported by vague hints that might not be immediately obvious.

So the too long version... can I achieve this while playing this game without a walk-through? Or is that just going to be super impossible and I need to suck it up and get all the endings?

Edit* I would also say my other concern is regarding if I need to remember stuff from the other play through's to get through the next play-throughs? I'm thinking If I can't beat them all simultaneously I won't enjoy it as much, or repeat the same ending over and over because I could only do like an ending every 2 weeks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Phenomic said:
Okay GAF I picked up this game since it's got so much love from the interwebs. However I have questions I that would like to be answered with out spoilers if possible.

I'm in school full time and working pretty much when I'm not in school. So I don't have a ton of time to play this game multiple times over and over and get various endings. (Tagging spoilers to explain what I want to do.)

I read that you had to get a certain ending, to unlock the "true" or good ending. Is there anyway to do this in a shorter amount of time? (without spoiling) Essentially, how I can go about only playing through the two endings I need? I don't want to really read a walk-through to do it but I would like to run through this game without taking a large amount of hours. Basically, so I can move on to other things that have to get done/played. I imagine some of it just has to be kind of a guessing game though, or supported by vague hints that might not be immediately obvious.

So the too long version... can I achieve this while playing this game without a walk-through? Or is that just going to be super impossible and I need to suck it up and get all the endings?

Edit* I would also say my other concern is regarding if I need to remember stuff from the other play through's to get through the next play-throughs? I'm thinking If I can't beat them all simultaneously I won't enjoy it as much, or repeat the same ending over and over because I could only do like an ending every 2 weeks.
Honestly? Don't do what you spoiled. Technically you'll get the true end, but it will mean hardly anything without the context of the other endings. They really aren't "alternate" ends in the traditional sense, the fundamental structure of the story is that you should play it multiple times. If it takes you a few weeks then that's fine, cause rushing through it will really taint the experience.
Secondary playthroughs go much faster, btw, since you can skip 85% of the text.

Phenomic

The_Technomancer said:
Honestly? Don't do what you spoiled. Technically you'll get the true end, but it will mean hardly anything without the context of the other endings. They really aren't "alternate" ends in the traditional sense, the fundamental structure of the story is that you should play it multiple times. If it takes you a few weeks then that's fine, cause rushing through it will really taint the experience.
Secondary playthroughs go much faster, btw, since you can skip 85% of the text.

Okay fair enough. That's what I really wanted to know. So as far as choosing all the paths is it trial and error? Do I need to remember what paths I took previously so I don't do the same path over and over? I guess I want to also avoid redoing endings.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Phenomic said:
Okay fair enough. That's what I really wanted to know. So as far as choosing all the paths is it trial and error? Do I need to remember what paths I took previously so I don't do the same path over and over? I guess I want to also avoid redoing endings.

If you're worried about redoing endings, there's a spoiler-free flow chart you can use.

AniHawk

Kagari said:
Stayed up until 4 am playing straight through from start to finish and ended up with the axe ending :(
don't feel bad, you just made terrible decisions one after another, that's all.

XiaNaphryz

thetrin said:
If you're worried about redoing endings, there's a spoiler-free flow chart you can use.
If he simply sticks to going to rooms he hasn't been in yet, he'll get most of the endings just by doing that. After he's gone through all the unique rooms at least once, then going to the flow chart would be fine, IMO.

Teppic

Phenomic said:

You can follow my post on the previous page to get all endings in two playthroughs. However, for the first time it might be more fun to not know what triggers certain endings, it will make things more intense. On the other hand, having a bad ending and having to play through stuff again isn't that fun either.

XiaNaphryz

Teppic said:
You can follow my post on the previous page to get all endings in two playthroughs. However, for the first time it might be more fun to not know what triggers certain endings, it will make things more intense. On the other hand, having a bad ending and having to play through stuff again isn't that fun either.
And if you do it this way, you won't get the game icons that show you've already unlocked a particular ending permanently marked on your save file. Only do what he suggests if you really really really want to go through the game as fast as possible, but it doesn't help the experience at all in my opinion.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Haha, I got too used to the idea of getting the digital root that the answer for this puzzle being basic addition threw me off for a while. I sure feel dumb.

Turnstyle

Well, I 'finished' this last night.

Spoilers ahoy:

I think I must have got the worst possible ending. Everyone was slaughtered, and I ended up floating alongside a yellow submarine, very dead.

I really, really enjoyed the game. I was initially put off, as it's really text heavy, and I tend to get impatient with this style, but the story was so good I was happy to read through it all.

One thing I don't get, is how do you get a good ending? Whilst playing the game, I felt there was no indication that I was doing anything wrong at any point. Is it simply a case of playing through the game multiple times and exploring each option?

Feep

Banned
Turnstyle said:

Spoilers ahoy:

I think I must have got the worst possible ending. Everyone was slaughtered, and I ended up floating alongside a yellow submarine, very dead.

I really, really enjoyed the game. I was initially put off, as it's really text heavy, and I tend to get impatient with this style, but the story was so good I was happy to read through it all.

One thing I don't get, is how do you get a good ending? Whilst playing the game, I felt there was no indication that I was doing anything wrong at any point. Is it simply a case of playing through the game multiple times and exploring each option?
Use this. It's spoiler-free, and will really cut down on possible frustration.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/61438

I'm eager to see Kagari's impressions of the true ending. I usually see eye to eye with her.

Korigama

Turnstyle said:

Spoilers ahoy:

It's pretty much this. With 999, getting bad endings is simply part of the experience. It's not always a case of having necessarily done anything wrong, as other times it's just a matter of circumstances being beyond your control. The facts learned from them contribute to piecing together the overall story and understanding what's really going on (all while fleshing out the cast along the way). Anyway, try not to get too discouraged, this is definitely a game where having multiple endings serves a purpose.

I'm also interested, but for a different reason, as I don't usually enjoy the same games Kagari does! Hehe.

Again, for the new players -- try out the different doors and combinations, and don't feel bad about getting the bad endings. Getting all of them makes completing the game really satisfying. Trust me.

Feep

Banned
timetokill said:
I'm also interested, but for a different reason, as I don't usually enjoy the same games Kagari does! Hehe.

Again, for the new players -- try out the different doors and combinations, and don't feel bad about getting the bad endings. Getting all of them makes completing the game really satisfying. Trust me.
name quote

Holy shit.

Just got
my first ending - clover axed me to death

I can see why this OT is still going. This game is fucking fantastic. I am so glad I did not use a walkthrough.

LiK

Not A Fur said:
Holy shit.

Just got

I can see why this OT is still going. This game is fucking fantastic. I am so glad I did not use a walkthrough.

welcome.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Not A Fur said:
Holy shit.

Just got

Find a seat and settle in, 999 is here to stay :D

Phenomic

So after getting two bad endings. I think I finally understand how this is starting to work out and how you get to the true ending. It's all starting to come together and make sense and I wish I realized it when I started the game because I think I ruined some of the enjoyment trying to figure out how to quote "not make wrong choices"

It's like everyone else was saying above there isn't a wrong choice, each ending can lead you to more of an understanding about what's going on and what choices you can make that effects the certain characters. Someone let me know if I'm right on this one please
Clover just ax'ed me to death but I'm thinking that if I hand her the 4 leaf clover as I did in the first play through, which didn't happen in my second, that she will no longer axe death the group? Thus, I can progress further for the true ending.

It's quite a neat way to handle a game. Also, I'm so glad they put in the text skipping because the game would be hellish without it having to go back through multiple times. Redoing the puzzles isn't all that bad because you pretty much remember them all.

Korigama

Phenomic said:
Someone let me know if I'm right on this one please
Clover just ax'ed me to death but I'm thinking that if I hand her the 4 leaf clover as I did in the first play through, which didn't happen in my second, that she will no longer axe death the group? Thus, I can progress further for the true ending.

You're on the right track. That said, there would still be a few other things to account for along the way (without spoiling anything, certain answers that Junpei can give or questions he can ask are just as important; a bit vague, but I hope that helps).

Instro

XiaNaphryz said:
Damnit, save the flowchart for after you've gone through all the unique doors at least once or you've become really really impatient. ;P

Yeah I managed to do fine without the flowchart, I only ended up getting the same ending once and that was due to a mistake. Felt very rewarding by the end of the game, especially with how the story turns out. I mean I had a pretty solid idea of what the "correct" path of doors and choices was once I'd been through doors 1-8 at least once.
Granted I ended up getting the coffin ending before the safe because of this, but the preview videos that those endings give basically give you the path you need next whether its the one leading to the safe ending or leading to the true ending, so its pretty easy from there.

Phenomic said:
It's like everyone else was saying above there isn't a wrong choice, each ending can lead you to more of an understanding about what's going on and what choices you can make that effects the certain characters. Someone let me know if I'm right on this one please

Yeah your on the right track, I figured it out the same way.

Anilones

Is there a recommended order of endings? I've just got the
knife
ending and wish to know if I should aim for a specific one next. I want to get all of the endings and hopefully get a bit more information about the story each time.

Anilones said:
Is there a recommended order of endings? I've just got the
knife
ending and wish to know if I should aim for a specific one next. I want to get all of the endings and hopefully get a bit more information about the story each time.

My recommended order:
1-3. axe, knife, sub (in any order)
4. Coffin
5. Safe
6. True

If you're in a hurry, you can also skip 4 and just go to
safe
because
the coffin ending is the true ending cut short
. I recommend it that way though because the feeling of getting the
coffin
ending really brings up a lot of interesting questions, and it's fun to think about them while you're going through the
safe
ending.

But if you have time to really savor it, go with what I suggested above.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
timetokill said:

I tend to like a lot of visual novel/mystery games plus, well... the game's setting is relevant to my interests:

rms.jpg

Kagari said:
I tend to like a lot of visual novel/mystery games plus, well... the game's setting is relevant to my interests:

...titanic books

Oh, nice! Yeah, this game's setting is definitely for you then! :)

Korigama

Looks like X-Play recommended 999 on a segment called "Overlooked: Games You Should Be Playing" today. Never would have expected something like that from them.

AniHawk

Kagari said:

rms.jpg

awesome.

the titanic fascinated me when i was a kid. i have/read several books on the subject and saw pretty much every movie about it before the 1997 one ever came out.

LiK

Kagari said:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/rms.jpg[/QUOTE]

that's exactly why i NEEDED you to play this. i didn't mention the setting specifically to you so you wouldn't be spoiled. ;)

JeTmAn81

Hey folks, just to check, is the
safe
ending the one where
you find Snake in the coffin and he ends up dying with Ace in the incinerator
? Because I already got that one, and I want to make sure that I'm able to get the
true
ending now.

JeTmAn81 said:
safe
ending the one where
? Because I already got that one, and I want to make sure that I'm able to get the
true
ending now.

Yep.

LiK

JeTmAn81 said:
safe
ending the one where
true
ending now.

go for it and prepare to be blown away.

Belisarius

Neo Member
AniHawk said:
awesome.

the titanic fascinated me when i was a kid. i have/read several books on the subject and saw pretty much every movie about it before the 1997 one ever came out.

I watched the National Geographic Special on the discovery of the wreck of the Titanic an ungodly number of times as a child. Also the one about the Bismark.

JeTmAn81

cosmicblizzard said:

Thanks. I was just a little confused since none of the synopses I read seemed to have mentioned those events. I've now gotten that ending as well as the
sub
ending. I'd like to get all six, but I just don't know how much longer I can wait without finding out the greater secrets of this story!

It would help if I could just hold the left arrow button to skip previously-viewed text instead of having to press the button every time. I feel like additional playthroughs are going to wear out my hardware.

AniHawk

i was fortunate enough to meet bob ballard once a couple times and got an autograph of his in a book he wrote the forward for about the discovery of the wreckage.

i was also into tornadoes, volcanoes (especially mt st helens), and other disasters, but the titanic was always the most interesting to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
JeTmAn81 said:
Thanks. I was just a little confused since none of the synopses I read seemed to have mentioned those events. I've now gotten that ending as well as the
sub
ending. I'd like to get all six, but I just don't know how much longer I can wait without finding out the greater secrets of this story!

It would help if I could just hold the left arrow button to skip previously-viewed text instead of having to press the button every time. I feel like additional playthroughs are going to wear out my hardware.
You don't really need the
Coffin or Knife
endings, but I would recommend you try for the
Axe
before the true. Just one extra playthrough.

Phenomic

Another thing just struck me as interesting.

Through out the entire game
they talk about experiments that eventually over time through no interaction crystals, or rats or whatever change their behavior. They sync without knowing it if you get my drift. Maybe this game is a test to determine if people start making better choices and get less and less of the "bad" endings over time as the game grows and more people play it with each word of mouth. We're going to pass information about which doors to choose telepathically. Just a random thought =D but it was on that I found sort of awesome.

Might blow a few minds with that suggestion. So beware.

Top Bottom