• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

wsippel

Banned
Tuesday said:
Not all of the puzzles are like the suitcase one in the demo, and unlike the Lucasarts-style adventure games, where the puzzles are often pretty random combination of items (use chicken + hose to open door), most of the puzzles in 999 are more logical, and sort of...make sense.
That's the thing, though: I never had a problem with the puzzles in Lucasarts adventures. They were completely logical to me - in the context of those games. I kinda understood the mindset, and the pieces immediately fell in place once I got that - hypnotizing a monkey and using him as a wrench made perfect sense in the context of Monkey Island for example. Puzzles in Layton, or that one puzzle in 999, make more sense in theory, but they lack context. At least I guess that's the problem I have with those games.

Ranger X said:
Just checking the solution won't make you better though. It's true you need to wrap your mind around a certain a style to be good at those games but how about I explain the thinking to you and then you actually "solve" it yourself? ;)

First off, you're suppose to have cliked on every damn thing in the room. I mean seriously, there's also a red case, a red key, 1 paper to explain the geometrical code and 2 papers telling you the combination.

So there's a blue case, blue key and a part of the blue code on each of those little paper pieces. The tricly part is to understand those little papers that gives you the combination. Look under the geometrical shapes and you will see an arrow. This is the direction in wich you should read the thing but you need to seperate the colors yourself. In short, the blue combination starts on one paper and ends on the other. Same for the red combination.

Now, I suppose you figured wich numbers equals to wich geometrical shape right?
Oh fuck.
I only found one of the two pieces of the code. Given that you're playing the "Unary Game", I was looking for a solution on that basis. Sure, the color coding was obvious, but I was thinking too complicated. I assumed that you're supposed to generate four numbers from two symbols, either translating decimal to unary numerals or using unary operations. The piece of paper only being half the code seemed too obvious to me to even consider it.
:lol

EDIT: The fact that the number entry reminded me of hexadecimal values didn't exactly help, either. The way the entries are grouped, you can enter two values ranging from 0 to 15 per block. That completely threw me off. I guess I am a coder after all. :)

Volcynika

seady said:
Is the watch a preorder bonus? I want to get the game if it still comes with it...

Was a preorder bonus for GameStop.com online orders. You can order it from Aksys' store for $5 shipping/handling by itself. I forget if they offer the game+watch as a package.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
seady said:
Is the watch a preorder bonus? I want to get the game if it still comes with it...

It was via GameStop.com as an online only pre-order bonus. But we announced today that we're also selling the game and the watch as a bundle, as well as giving the watch for free + s/h :)

999 + Watch Bundle

http://li.brari.us/buy999

999 Watch for free + s/h

http://li.brari.us/buy999watch

Edit: Forgot to reiterate that we only ship within the continental United States.

Belisarius

Neo Member
Wizpig said:
But i'm indeed in Europe.

You may or may not have heard of a place called Italy...
I have heard of Italy, mostly through Americanized versions of its food. I assumed--clearly in error--that if you were ordering from a Canadian site, you were in Canada. My mistake. :(

Wizpig

Hahah, no problem, i was joking around; well VGPlus is basically the only site where you can import US games relatively cheap, a lot of people in Europe use that site from what i understand.

But i want that watch :'(

iammeiam

Thanks for putting the watch up for order; grabbed one and will pick up the game in the next week or so. Trying to force myself to stick to one DS point-and-click game at a time, so need to finish The Last Window first.

Belisarius

Neo Member
wsippel said:
EDIT: The fact that the number entry reminded me of hexadecimal values didn't exactly help, either. The way the entries are grouped, you can enter two values ranging from 0 to 15 per block. That completely threw me off. I guess I am a coder after all. :)
Funny you should mention hexadecimal. You and one of the captives have something in common.

wsippel

Banned
Tuesday said:
Funny you should mention hexadecimal. You and one of the captives have something in common.
On second thought, it would be tetradecimal (base-14 - highly uncommon system). You can't enter "00" if I remember correctly, as the second digit only ranges from 1 to 5. Adding both digits per block results in values ranging from 1 ("01") to 14 ("95"). Even if "00" was possible, it would be pentadecimal, not hexadecimal - which is just as uncommon. Either way, I was thinking way too complicated. :lol

EDIT: Yeah, you got me. Just ordered the game. I hope I'll get it sometime next week. :D

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
wsippel said:
On second thought, it would be tetradecimal (base-14 - highly uncommon system). You can't enter "00" if I remember correctly, as the second digit only ranges from 1 to 5. Adding both digits per block results in values ranging from 1 ("01") to 14 ("95"). Even if "00" was possible, it would be pentadecimal, not hexadecimal - which is just as uncommon. Either way, I was thinking way too complicated. :lol

EDIT: Yeah, you got me. Just ordered the game. I hope I'll get it sometime next week. :D

That's awesome :D! I'm glad you had a change of heart :)

If nothing else, you can enjoy it for the story. And if you get stuck, you can always come here and give us a holler to help you out ;)

Belisarius

Neo Member
wsippel said:
Excellent.
IC00266.jpg

Akselziys said:
It was via GameStop.com as an online only pre-order bonus. But we announced today that we're also selling the game and the watch as a bundle, as well as giving the watch for free + s/h :)

999 + Watch Bundle

999 Watch for free + s/h

Edit: Forgot to reiterate that we only ship within the continental United States.
I didn't know they brought over the mini noel figure. :( I'll probably buy it from them now since they have the watch, I'd rather buy from them anyhow.

wsippel

Banned
You guys did a great job selling the game. :lol

One more thing, though: I don't want to hear any specifics, and I guess you should spoiler tag the answer, but is there a real happy ending? I believe there are multiple endings, but is at least one of those really... well, a happy ending? It's OK if it's harder to get there, but I don't really like paying money and investing time just to be depressed in the end... ;)

Belisarius

Neo Member
wsippel said:
You guys did a great job selling the game. :lol

One more thing, though: I don't want to hear any specifics, and I guess you should spoiler tag the answer, but is there a real happy ending? I believe there are multiple endings, but is at least one of those really... well, a happy ending? It's OK if it's harder to get there, but I don't really like paying money and investing time just to be depressed in the end... ;)
Yes. I'm also going to type some other stuff in here so that it isn't immediately obvious that I just wrote "yes".

Volcynika

This puzzle is D:

(like 6th or 7th puzzle maybe, so pretty far in). Though I can't really describe my path, so I"ll just ask about the puzzle itself:

I have a 3x3 square with an F above it. F is 15, so I'm trying to get the numbers 1-9 in each row added up to 15. Am I right in assuming that you have to get all rows / columns / diagonals to add to 15? The diagonals part is proving to be the tricky part, I always have one not adding up. Don't really need the answer to the puzzle itself, I just am not sure if I'm assuming correctly. :lol

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
This puzzle is D:

(like 6th or 7th puzzle maybe, so pretty far in). Though I can't really describe my path, so I"ll just ask about the puzzle itself:

I have a 3x3 square with an F above it. F is 15, so I'm trying to get the numbers 1-9 in each row added up to 15. Am I right in assuming that you have to get all rows / columns / diagonals to add to 15? The diagonals part is proving to be the tricky part, I always have one not adding up. Don't really need the answer to the puzzle itself, I just am not sure if I'm assuming correctly. :lol

Ah, yes. This puzzle hehe Well...

You have to make all horizontal, vertical, and diagonal rows/columns equate to 15. I believe if you use 5 as the middle number it makes it possible to solve :)

Hopefully that helps! :D

Volcynika

Now that I have a starting point, I think I'll get it now, thanks!

EDIT: Got it. Was going over rules in my head of what obviously wouldn't work!

kiryogi

Banned
Takuhi said:
You are a lucky man! I've been trying to track one down for a friend and it looks like the last two existing copies in Washington state are in Silverdale and Puyallup! Yikes.

Hah if it means anything, the store I preordered @ gave me a call today telling me it finally came in. Gonna have to go in and get that fixed XD

Volcynika

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

(super super spoilers)

Got a bad ending. Found Lotus' dead body, turned around and was stabbed to death. :(

Akselziys said:

999 + Watch Bundle

999 Watch for free + s/h

I just bought the 999 + Watch Bundle.

Thanks!

Funny thing is I haven't even bought a DSi yet so i don't even have anything to play it on.

Still debating on that Red one. Figured I should wait till black friday to pick up one.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
MidnightRider said:
I just bought the 999 + Watch Bundle.

Thanks!

Funny thing is I haven't even bought a DSi yet so i don't even have anything to play it on.

Still debating on that Red one. Figured I should wait till black friday to pick up one.

That's pretty sweet that 999 will be the first game to grace you future brand new DSi! :D

Volcynika said:
Fffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

(super super spoilers)

Got a bad ending. Found Lotus' dead body, turned around and was stabbed to death. :(

Just got the same ending. So depressing. I think I know at least a few places where I went wrong though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Was toying with the idea of ordering this or SMB 25th Anniversary Edition from Amazon yesterday, and when I realized that I somehow had $40 of in-store credit, I didn't hesitate to order both for $20 off! Amazon's already shipped my copy of the game!

Edit - And I just ordered the watch from the Aksys store. Awesome deal!

atomsk

Party Pooper
still holding out hope a local gamestop gets it in, i've got a gift card and i don't want to pay shipping =/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tuesday said:
I mentioned options yesterday, and now those options are available. Over in our store, you can find the following:
Sadly, we can only ship these items to the continental United States, but if you missed out on the pre-order, or just didn't care to order online from Gamestop, you can still get a watch. Hooray!

I apologize for being such an obvious shill, but I figured some of you might be interested in alternate purchase options.

Woooo, ordered the game+watch. Thanks for the heads up, guys. I can't wait to start playing it!

$36.99 was very reasonable for the entire package since ordering tax-free from Amazon would have been $32.99+$4.95 for the watch... Heck, even pre-ordering it from Gamestop.com would have been the retail $34.99 + tax. I usually love Aksys games stuff, so hopefully this will be no exception.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
GuardianE said:
Woooo, ordered the game+watch. Thanks for the heads up, guys. I can't wait to start playing it!

$36.99 was very reasonable for the entire package since ordering tax-free from Amazon would have been $32.99+$4.95 for the watch... Heck, even pre-ordering it from Gamestop.com would have been the retail $34.99 + tax. I usually love Aksys games stuff, so hopefully this will be no exception.

Glad we could be of service! I hope you love it too :D!

Actually I know you'll love it! ;D

Volcynika

Got another ending. The last one on the question marks when you save or whatever.

I always go for the ones that kill me! Seems to be the ending that triggered the true one possibly...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I got this game yesterday, and I

just

can't

stop

SERIOUS SERIOUS SPOILERS HOLY SHIT DO NOT SEE
After getting a whole bunch of dead ends and bad ends...

I was finally able to reveal Ace as the glorious bastard that he is.

But now it seems like that there's one last route to explore, and I'm hoping that it's going to be one fucking glorious mindfuck that this entire game has hyped up to be.

But seriously?

This game, FUCKING AWESOME. OH MY GOD.

I shouldn't have expected any less from the person that brought me Ever17, but damn so gooood now I'm just rambling incoherently

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
InsaneZero said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I got this game yesterday, and I

just

can't

stop

SERIOUS SERIOUS SPOILERS HOLY SHIT DO NOT SEE
After getting a whole bunch of dead ends and bad ends...

I was finally able to reveal Ace as the glorious bastard that he is.

But now it seems like that there's one last route to explore, and I'm hoping that it's going to be one fucking glorious mindfuck that this entire game has hyped up to be.

But seriously?

This game, FUCKING AWESOME. OH MY GOD.

I shouldn't have expected any less from the person that brought me Ever17, but damn so gooood now I'm just rambling incoherently

I'm super ecstatic that you're enjoying it so much! Just wait until
the true end ;)

Volcynika said:
Got another ending. The last one on the question marks when you save or whatever.

I always go for the ones that kill me! Seems to be the ending that triggered the true one possibly...

Are you talking about the submarine ending? Because it's a different ending you need to get before the path to the true ending opens up :D

JKTrix

FSfvi.jpg

Woot. Watch is actually much heavier than I expected, all metal. Doesn't fit on my beefy wrist, though.

Good trip confirmed.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
JKTrix said:
FSfvi.jpg

Woot. Watch is actually much heavier than I expected, all metal. Doesn't fit on my beefy wrist, though.

Good trip confirmed.

Aww! At least it's a nice collector's item though! Have a blast playing!

Volcynika said:
Yeah, it is that one. Oh well, at least I know where all the splits are for the most part.

That's good to hear :)
I finished all the endings sans the true ending last night on my retail copy, so I'll probably try and finish that today :D Still just as fun the 2nd time around!

Volcynika

Got a third ending, the (image of ending)
///Axe/// ending
. (Comments about ending)
You crazy bitch Clover! Going for the only remaining split I know about for ending #4.

I could give detailed impressions, but this will occur after I've fully explored the game. I have a few small gripes, but nothing major yet.

Apparently CheapAssGamer's podcast CAGCast gives some love to the game, from what notworksafe told me.

notworksafe

Yep! On this week's CAGCast (#220), Shipwreck talks about it a bit at about 1 hour 3 minutes into the show. He sounds like he is liking it, but isn't too far in yet so don't worry about spoilers.

In game news, mine finally showed up today...dang UPS takes forever!

Volcynika

Hm, went through the last split door choice I knew of, yet got
the submarine ending again

Not sure what would complete decide another path...

I shall ponder this.

As far as the memories I have so far, missing just
the first two on the second page, which say door 9, unless that's just a placeholder image

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
Hm, went through the last split door choice I knew of, yet got
the submarine ending again

Not sure what would complete decide another path...

I shall ponder this.

As far as the memories I have so far, missing just
the first two on the second page, which say door 9, unless that's just a placeholder image

What
endings have you gotten so far? I can help steer you in the right direction if you'd like for endings not yet discovered :)

Volcynika

Akselziys said:
What
endings have you gotten so far? I can help steer you in the right direction if you'd like for endings not yet discovered :)

Yeah, just an idea of where to start would help.

The endings I've gotten:
Axe, Knife, Submarine. So 3 / 5 / 6.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
Yeah, just an idea of where to start would help.

The endings I've gotten:
Axe, Knife, Submarine. So 3 / 5 / 6.

Go for the ****** ending next. You need to take door 4, then 7, then 1 :) and you have to take the 4 leaf clover bookmark from Santa while in door 4 and then give it to Clover when prompted to as well.

The next ending you'd want is the ****'* ****** ending. You can get that by going through door 5, then meeting up with everyone in the hallways and leaving them be. Then take door 8. When asked if Zero is on the ship say it sound questionable and when responding to Clover about Zero being one of us, say it can't be. Then take door 6.

That should lead to the ending that's required to get the true ending. To get the true ending, just repeat the first ending I spoke about above, and a new path will open for you :)

Hope that helps! :D

Top Bottom