• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Volcynika

Akselziys said:
Go for the ****** ending next. You need to take door 4, then 7, then 1 :) and you have to take the 4 leaf clover bookmark from Santa while in door 4 and then give it to Clover when prompted to as well.

The next ending you'd want is the ****'* ****** ending. You can get that by going through door 5, then meeting up with everyone in the hallways and leaving them be. Then take door 8. When asked if Zero is on the ship say it sound questionable and when responding to Clover about Zero being one of us, say it can't be. Then take door 6.

That should lead to the ending that's required to get the true ending. To get the true ending, just repeat the first ending I spoke about above, and a new path will open for you :)

Hope that helps! :D

Tried to do the first ending, but got the axe one again. Gave her the bookmark, talked to her about the experiment, then at door #1 yelled at Ace and got more info out of her, but nothing else to choose after to effect it. I might've said it was crazy when she suggested Zero was one of the remaining people though. I'll go for the second one I suppose!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
Tried to do the first ending, but got the axe one again. Gave her the bookmark, talked to her about the experiment, then at door #1 yelled at Ace and got more info out of her, but nothing else to choose after to effect it. I might've said it was crazy when she suggested Zero was one of the remaining people though. I'll go for the second one I suppose!

Yeah,
for that ending you tripped up on, you have to be a boyscout and doing all the nicest things possible, especially in regards to Clover :lol

Volcynika

Akselziys said:
Yeah,
For that ending you tripped up on, you have to be a boyscout and doing all the nicest things possible, especially in regards to Clover :lol

Well at least I can fly through these puzzles in like two to three minutes tops! :lol

Just got my second ending.

Ax-crazy girl, oh my! That was some chilling writing, and seeing it coming from a while away just made it worse. These bad ends aren't playing around. I'm kind of scared to see what further horrors I'll uncover if I keep going!

Ferrio

Banned
So been playing through, haven't gotton an ending yet. So I'm guessing there's a true ending, is it possible to get it the first time through?

So far the room escapes are incredibly easy, which caught me off guard. Usually these games are a little challenging for me.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
So been playing through, haven't gotton an ending yet. So I'm guessing there's a true ending, is it possible to get it the first time through?

No, you
have to get a specific other ending first, and then the true end will become available. So you have to play through at least once :)

hosannainexcelsis said:
Just got my second ending.

Ax-crazy girl, oh my! That was some chilling writing, and seeing it coming from a while away just made it worse. These bad ends aren't playing around. I'm kind of scared to see what further horrors I'll uncover if I keep going!

There's more where that came from :D! But you want to get every ending, so you learn about everything there is to know for 999 ;)

Wow, this certainly came out of nowhere! The premise alone sold me, then I played the demo and now I want it!

Since this has like a zero chance of coming out in Australia...I think I’ll get it from eBay! I hope it’s not too hard!

Volcynika

Got the true ending and amazed at how late it is now (2am is kinda late for me, shut upppppp)

I'm going to sleep on this. I'll post comments about this tomorrow.

But just two small comments -- last puzzle
Sudoku! I totally was all about that. Also very cool how you had to flip the DS due to being the other person.
and the very last scene you see before END appears
DAT ASS :lol....well.....I had an idea of who it was.
I have a few questions remaining, but I'll get to them tomorrow.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
Got the true ending and amazed at how late it is now (2am is kinda late for me, shut upppppp)

I'm going to sleep on this. I'll post comments about this tomorrow.

But just two small comments -- last puzzle
Sudoku! I totally was all about that. Also very cool how you had to flip the DS due to being the other person.
and the very last scene you see before END appears
DAT ASS :lol....well.....I had an idea of who it was.
I have a few questions remaining, but I'll get to them tomorrow.

I was waiting to see if you were going to finish it tonight :D! Congrats!

I'll be here to answer your questions once you've collected your thoughts ;)

With each ending the Holy Shit Quotient seems to go up.

Got the coffin ending. I wonder if it's Snake in the coffin - with him everyone would be able to escape. Can't say I was expecting Santa to turn like that - I wonder what his motivation is. On that note, I'm sure Ace is up to something too; I just can't figure out what yet.

But "To Be Continued"? What kind of nonsense is that? And what is that video supposed to mean? Only one way to find out...

JKTrix

Okay, so the first ending I got said 'Bad End', but now this second one is giving me credits. Time to see what's next....

I wonder if the noise it makes when you close & open the DS has any story relevance.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
JKTrix said:
Okay, so the first ending I got said 'Bad End', but now this second one is giving me credits. Time to see what's next....

I wonder if the noise it makes when you close & open the DS has any story relevance.

More endings to discover! That's what's next! :D

hosannainexcelsis said:
With each ending the Holy Shit Quotient seems to go up.

Got the coffin ending. I wonder if it's Snake in the coffin - with him everyone would be able to escape. Can't say I was expecting Santa to turn like that - I wonder what his motivation is. On that note, I'm sure Ace is up to something too; I just can't figure out what yet.

But "To Be Continued"? What kind of nonsense is that? And what is that video supposed to mean? Only one way to find out...

It only gets better and better ;)

Lol, did anyone get the scene with Junpei and June
miscommunicate about going down the elevator? June was only thinking about her safety whereas Junpei was all over her. I thought that was hilarious.
Aksys, you surprise me sometimes.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Shadow Red said:
Lol, did anyone get the scene with Junpei and June
miscommunicate about going down the elevator? June was only thinking about her safety whereas Junpei was all over her. I thought that was hilarious.
Aksys, you surprise me sometimes.

LOL! Yeah, that
part made me laugh out loud when I originally played the game for the first time and read it :lol

Volcynika

So.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

I guess I'll look at the different aspects of it:

Sound - I had no issues with this. Music seemed very appropriate for the game, but nothing I'd make a point to listen to outside of the game. Just seems better to listen to during the game moments rather than enjoying outside of it.

Character Designs - Not bad! Well-defined distinguishing features, though some of the individual scenes (especially with Seven) made him look.....kinda weird. Though, one thing that's hilarious for me personally. Coming from Aksys' localizations of the BlazBlue games where they make it a point wherever Litchi is around to point out her breasts, this game has surprisingly very little references to Lotus being well-endowed during the game :lol. I know, different developers/different scripts/different basic everything, but it's still kind of amusing to me, considering the designer made it a point to make her as scantily clad as possible.

Puzzles - This is kind of a conflict for me. Fortunately, most of them completely make sense, there's no pixel hunting (hell the smallest item you have to hunt for is (Second puzzle very early game
the tile in the bathroom wall that will help finish a puzzle
)). There were no puzzles that required a certain amount of dexterity or had a bit of a random pull to them except for opposite room of earlier puzzle
slot machine to get 777
. They did not hang a time limit over you (which is funny considering the game's plot), so the only actually thing that could stress you out is not being able to solve it for whatever reason. Though during the true ending one puzzle kinda annoyed me a bit (Don't read unless you did true ending:
the second morse code puzzle. I forgot which symbols it first said and for some reason couldn't make it display them again until I kept quitting it and Snake retold me what it was.
). Though something that came up often is that I wish there was a little more aid to the player. This is more a knock on the design of the game, rather than the localization, but Junpei has a notebook he writes in all the time, why doesn't the game offer me a notepad function to jot down notes? I have a calculator, but i felt myself needing to write down stuff a bit elsewhere because puzzles didn't let you look at items during them. But overall, I really enjoyed them. Especially the last puzzle of the true ending,
it was just very cool and fits in the plot of the game how you have to turn the DS upside-down to do it. I was like "Hell yeah, I'm gonna solve this puzzle and end it!"
. They were very taxing at only a few points, but nothing that's impossible and requires a FAQ to solve. Good stuff.

Plot - This will obviously require some careful treading and spoiler tagging here!

The game reminded me of a choose-your-own adventure book (remember those?), yet it still had some very static events that had to occur, but overall you have a hand in what happens. Learning about all the characters based on your choices, and over time, the game is like putting a large puzzle together. You learn more about the characters, you equate certain attributes and such to their personalities, you begin to understand both their strengths and their flaws, and it fits so well. I didn't come across much if any things that are like "Well that's just completely crazy, no possible way that character could do something like that." Hell, even (not true ending but referencing one other ending that doesn't end pleasantly)
Clover going batshit insane to get revenge for Snake made sense. Parts like that made me think of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (anime) where the girls kinda just go crazy and murder people and have those crazy faces when they look at you
. And while it wasn't the true ending (though this one triggers the ability to get it)
Snake going into all-out do or die mode to bring Ace down for Clover's death had the same kind of of pull, obviously due to the previous Nonary Game they were very close
. The game even did a great job in both (true ending end things)
telling you throughout the entire game that there were two facilities, the Gigantic and the Nevada recreation of it, yet still making you think you were on the boat! I couldn't believe it even though the game was shoving it into my face
. While the characters might go into these long explanations about something that seems completely unrelated to anything you're doing, it all brings it together. There's nothing like "oh did you know a train can go faster if it has a jet plane attached to it???" While some may question the direction of the plot (
how it seems kinda unrealistic for the phenomena the game was centered around
), it fits into the game's world, because if it suddenly jumped out of that, it wouldn't work. Enjoyable and fun.

Localization - Though I have zero knowledge of the original script, I am going to say Aksys knocked it out of the park. There's really no weird/odd parts in the dialogue, they have done a great job making the serious moments stay serious. I froze up sometimes when some of the more vile parts came up, and the ability to paint an image in your mind through the use of words rather than just "here's some gory stuff, enjoy!" was very well done. I don't do much reading for leisure but this is exactly what I miss about not doing it as much. Just bringing things to the reader and letting the mind construct it as it's told. The humor was great (
the Akane/Junpei part about the elevator had me laughing :lol
) and I want to say there were some internet references but wasn't sure (
Kitchen: Excuse me princess ?
), but overall nothing that elicited zero response in any format for me. I know Aksys did a good job in the past with BlazBlue (the story mode has a LOT of text), but a full on visual novel was considerably more in-depth with how much they had to translate. Thumbs up.

Remaining Questions - Here are some of the questions I'm still kinda confused about. I may ask more later but here's the ones I recall.

• About Lotus -
    Was her only relation to the Nonary Game her children that participated in it? She referenced working for a security company but quit, but that's really the only past I knew about her. She seems to have the loosest relation directly to the first Nonary Game, and only was affected by it because of her children.
  • The final true ending image -
    So was the hitchhiker supposed to be the fabled Alice that they kept talking about? The outfit she was wearing seemed to point to that, but I'm not completely positive
  • More true ending final stuff -
    So due to Junpei saving Akane 9 years ago, did she continue living and appear with Santa, or is she somewhere else, or what? I know the group was chasing after Santa, but I'm kinda wondering if Junpei will see her again, since the whole idea for him to be brought to the game was to save her.
  • 6th ending (
    Submarine
    ) -
    Who was the person that had the gun at the end that shot Junpei? I couldn't recall anyone else alive at that point.

The long and short of it (including some things I hadn't mentioned):

Pros:
-Enjoyable plot
-High quality localization
-Lots of "Oh shi-" moments which kept things going.
-NewGame+ allows you to speed and fly through text, though I fear for the right direction on my d-pad :lol
-Majority of puzzles aren't very difficult, none of them require outside help.
-Final puzzle presented in an amazing way (well it was for me).
-Characters well-defined both in look and personality.
-The true revelations of the true ending will keep you glued to this game to see it to the end. Two-three hours flew by while I was determined to see the finale and how everything would come together and end.

Cons:
-Small number of puzzles might annoy some
-Some of the endings have some very specific things you must do, if you miss them/mess them up and save too late, you'll have to trek back, which could annoy. But I was able to get three separate endings without any help so I'd seen most of it, so you could just look for the conditions for the others without spoiling yourself on what you've already seen.
-Ability to jot down notes on the DS screen would've helped tremendously at some points.

I might have forgotten a few things, but if you think you can get into this type of game (lots of reading, light amount of puzzles), it's a great place to start! I've recommended it to a lot of people, and hope we see more of this type of game every now and then. Much props to Aksys for taking a chance on this, hope the results are good. This year has had a lot of hits that I didn't expect, this will be one of them.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
So.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

I guess I'll look at the different aspects of it:

Sound - I had no issues with this. Music seemed very appropriate for the game, but nothing I'd make a point to listen to outside of the game. Just seems better to listen to during the game moments rather than enjoying outside of it.

Character Designs - Not bad! Well-defined distinguishing features, though some of the individual scenes (especially with Seven) made him look.....kinda weird. Though, one thing that's hilarious for me personally. Coming from Aksys' localizations of the BlazBlue games where they make it a point wherever Litchi is around to point out her breasts, this game has surprisingly very little references to Lotus being well-endowed during the game :lol. I know, different developers/different scripts/different basic everything, but it's still kind of amusing to me, considering the designer made it a point to make her as scantily clad as possible.

Puzzles - This is kind of a conflict for me. Fortunately, most of them completely make sense, there's no pixel hunting (hell the smallest item you have to hunt for is (Second puzzle very early game
the tile in the bathroom wall that will help finish a puzzle
)). There were no puzzles that required a certain amount of dexterity or had a bit of a random pull to them except for opposite room of earlier puzzle
slot machine to get 777
. They did not hang a time limit over you (which is funny considering the game's plot), so the only actually thing that could stress you out is not being able to solve it for whatever reason. Though during the true ending one puzzle kinda annoyed me a bit (Don't read unless you did true ending:
the second morse code puzzle. I forgot which symbols it first said and for some reason couldn't make it display them again until I kept quitting it and Snake retold me what it was.
). Though something that came up often is that I wish there was a little more aid to the player. This is more a knock on the design of the game, rather than the localization, but Junpei has a notebook he writes in all the time, why doesn't the game offer me a notepad function to jot down notes? I have a calculator, but i felt myself needing to write down stuff a bit elsewhere because puzzles didn't let you look at items during them. But overall, I really enjoyed them. Especially the last puzzle of the true ending,
it was just very cool and fits in the plot of the game how you have to turn the DS upside-down to do it. I was like "Hell yeah, I'm gonna solve this puzzle and end it!"
. They were very taxing at only a few points, but nothing that's impossible and requires a FAQ to solve. Good stuff.

Plot - This will obviously require some careful treading and spoiler tagging here!

The game reminded me of a choose-your-own adventure book (remember those?), yet it still had some very static events that had to occur, but overall you have a hand in what happens. Learning about all the characters based on your choices, and over time, the game is like putting a large puzzle together. You learn more about the characters, you equate certain attributes and such to their personalities, you begin to understand both their strengths and their flaws, and it fits so well. I didn't come across much if any things that are like "Well that's just completely crazy, no possible way that character could do something like that." Hell, even (not true ending but referencing one other ending that doesn't end pleasantly)
Clover going batshit insane to get revenge for Snake made sense. Parts like that made me think of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (anime) where the girls kinda just go crazy and murder people and have those crazy faces when they look at you
. And while it wasn't the true ending (though this one triggers the ability to get it)
Snake going into all-out do or die mode to bring Ace down for Clover's death had the same kind of of pull, obviously due to the previous Nonary Game they were very close
. The game even did a great job in both (true ending end things)
telling you throughout the entire game that there were two facilities, the Gigantic and the Nevada recreation of it, yet still making you think you were on the boat! I couldn't believe it even though the game was shoving it into my face
. While the characters might go into these long explanations about something that seems completely unrelated to anything you're doing, it all brings it together. There's nothing like "oh did you know a train can go faster if it has a jet plane attached to it???" While some may question the direction of the plot (
how it seems kinda unrealistic for the phenomena the game was centered around
), it fits into the game's world, because if it suddenly jumped out of that, it wouldn't work. Enjoyable and fun.

Localization - Though I have zero knowledge of the original script, I am going to say Aksys knocked it out of the park. There's really no weird/odd parts in the dialogue, they have done a great job making the serious moments stay serious. I froze up sometimes when some of the more vile parts came up, and the ability to paint an image in your mind through the use of words rather than just "here's some gory stuff, enjoy!" was very well done. I don't do much reading for leisure but this is exactly what I miss about not doing it as much. Just bringing things to the reader and letting the mind construct it as it's told. The humor was great (
the Akane/Junpei part about the elevator had me laughing :lol
) and I want to say there were some internet references but wasn't sure (
Kitchen: Excuse me princess ?
), but overall nothing that elicited zero response in any format for me. I know Aksys did a good job in the past with BlazBlue (the story mode has a LOT of text), but a full on visual novel was considerably more in-depth with how much they had to translate. Thumbs up.

Remaining Questions - Here are some of the questions I'm still kinda confused about. I may ask more later but here's the ones I recall.

• About Lotus -
    Was her only relation to the Nonary Game her children that participated in it? She referenced working for a security company but quit, but that's really the only past I knew about her. She seems to have the loosest relation directly to the first Nonary Game, and only was affected by it because of her children.
  • The final true ending image -
    So was the hitchhiker supposed to be the fabled Alice that they kept talking about? The outfit she was wearing seemed to point to that, but I'm not completely positive
  • More true ending final stuff -
    So due to Junpei saving Akane 9 years ago, did she continue living and appear with Santa, or is she somewhere else, or what? I know the group was chasing after Santa, but I'm kinda wondering if Junpei will see her again, since the whole idea for him to be brought to the game was to save her.
  • 6th ending (
    Submarine
    ) -
    Who was the person that had the gun at the end that shot Junpei? I couldn't recall anyone else alive at that point.

The long and short of it (including some things I hadn't mentioned):

Pros:
-Enjoyable plot
-High quality localization
-Lots of "Oh shi-" moments which kept things going.
-NewGame+ allows you to speed and fly through text, though I fear for the right direction on my d-pad :lol
-Majority of puzzles aren't very difficult, none of them require outside help.
-Final puzzle presented in an amazing way (well it was for me).
-Characters well-defined both in look and personality.
-The true revelations of the true ending will keep you glued to this game to see it to the end. Two-three hours flew by while I was determined to see the finale and how everything would come together and end.

Cons:
-Small number of puzzles might annoy some
-Some of the endings have some very specific things you must do, if you miss them/mess them up and save too late, you'll have to trek back, which could annoy. But I was able to get three separate endings without any help so I'd seen most of it, so you could just look for the conditions for the others without spoiling yourself on what you've already seen.
-Ability to jot down notes on the DS screen would've helped tremendously at some points.

I might have forgotten a few things, but if you think you can get into this type of game (lots of reading, light amount of puzzles), it's a great place to start! I've recommended it to a lot of people, and hope we see more of this type of game every now and then. Much props to Aksys for taking a chance on this, hope the results are good. This year has had a lot of hits that I didn't expect, this will be one of them.

Very awesome write up, Volcy! Your thoughts are very well thought out and fair :D

As for your remaining questions, perhaps I can help out with those ;)

Danger! Extreme SPOILERS

1. Lotus was there since her daughter, Nona, and her other daughter (unnamed & Nona's twin sister), were part of the Nonary Project 9 years ago. Also, we find out that Lotus's last name is "Kashiwabara".

And of course that she is a proficient computer programmer that used to work at a security firm. She also seems to have had both her daughters at a young age, 19 I believe, since Nona and her sister are mentioned to be Junpei's age, 21, and Lotus is 40 presently.

2. Yes, that hitch hiker is indeed supposed to be Alice. Uchikoshi wanted to bring that plot point full circle ;)

3. Yes, Santa (Aoi Kurashiki) was driving ahead in a car with both himself and Akane :)

4. I was actually curious about that myself, so I asked Chunsoft about it, and it seemed they hinted at it being Kagechika Musashidou (the old man "Cap" who financed the Nonary Project 9 years ago).

5. (Bonus info!) Also, if you pay attention at the end of the true ending, you'll read about Junpei doubting Seven and his story about what happened to Akane in the past, after which Seven smirks. This was an insinuation to Seven being a co-conspirator with Santa/Aoi and Akane/Zero ;) (A.K.A. his "amnesia" was just a ruse mwahaha).

I hope that helped answer some of your lingering questions :D

Great work with your final thoughts, Volcy! :D

Volcynika

Akselziys said:
Very awesome write up, Volcy! Your thoughts are very well thought out and fair :D

As for your remaining questions, perhaps I can help out with those ;)

Danger! Extreme SPOILERS

1. Lotus was there since her daughter, Nona, and her other daughter (unnamed & Nona's twin sister), were part of the Nonary Project 9 years ago. Also, we find out that Lotus's last name is "Kashiwabara".

And of course that she is a proficient computer programmer that used to work at a security firm. She also seems to have had both her daughters at a young age, 19 I believe, since Nona and her sister are mentioned to be Junpei's age, 21, and Lotus is 40 presently.

2. Yes, that hitch hiker is indeed supposed to be Alice. Uchikoshi wanted to bring that plot point full circle ;)

3. Yes, Santa (Aoi Kurashiki) was driving ahead in a car with both himself and Akane :)

4. I was actually curious about that myself, so I asked Chunsoft about it, and it seemed they hinted at it being Kagechika Musashidou (the old man "Cap" who financed the Nonary Project 9 years ago).

5. (Bonus info!) Also, if you pay attention at the end of the true ending, you'll read about Junpei doubting Seven and his story about what happened to Akane in the past, after which Seven smirks. This was an insinuation to Seven being a co-conspirator with Santa/Aoi and Akane/Zero ;) (A.K.A. his "amnesia" was just a ruse mwahaha).

I hope that helped answer some of your lingering questions :D

Great work with your final thoughts, Volcy! :D

Extreme spoilers here as well

Ah, ok. I do remember about Lotus
saying she had some children when some "things happened," and all her backstory, wasn't sure if she worked for some security firm that did things with Cradle Pharmecutical or not, but what's there is fine too

And the last bit you said kinda fits possibly, since
he obviously cut his story short about Akane being burned, you know that after they escaped they all had a vendetta against Hongou and wished that in some manner they could've saved Akane. He might've just 'remembered' things along the game to push Junpei along to the role he had been summoned to fulfill in the Nonary Game.

And nice of you to have some of the same questions I had and dig a little deeper!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:

saying she had some children when some "things happened," and all her backstory, wasn't sure if she worked for some security firm that did things with Cradle Pharmecutical or not, but what's there is fine too

he obviously cut his story short about Akane being burned, you know that after they escaped they all had a vendetta against Hongou and wished that in some manner they could've saved Akane. He might've just 'remembered' things along the game to push Junpei along to the role he had been summoned to fulfill in the Nonary Game.

And nice of you to have some of the same questions I had and dig a little deeper!

Yup ;) 999 is amazing, so I had to know everything, even if
I had to ask the source :D

Ranger X

I've been on another hunt today here in Montreal and it's impossible to find, seriously.

I will have to buy this thing on the internet it seems.

EDIT:

tks to amazon.com I should receive this game around December 3 ! :D

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that
Clover's real name is Clover :) She just happened to luck out that her real name could also be used as a code name for her number ;) And of course, Snake's real name is Light :)

Also, the reason for June's fever and her phasing in and out of reality is due to your/Junpei's choices. When bad choices were made that deviated from achieving the goal of the true ending, it would cause June to no longer exist of course ;)

People in Japan also like to think the fever was because of her being burned alive in the incinerator hehe

nny

Just ordered my copy; my usual resource for US games (VideoGamesPlus) had it on backorder, so ordered from AxelMusic...hope it doesn't take too long to get here (Portugal).

Takuhi

OK, here are my big, spoiler-packed questions for the table:

1. my assumption is that Seven lied, Akane never died because she was saved by Junpei from the future, and that Akane conspired with Santa and Seven to set up a second parallel Nonary Game to create the future in which Junpei saved her, because failing to do so would cause a paradox that would blink her out of existence. How am I doing so far?

2. If that's true, what do the alternate endings represent? If they're parallel worlds, and you can send information through parallel worlds (because obviously true-ending Junpei got crucial information from the note-ending Junpei), then why would it be necessary for Akane to set up the actual future that saved her in the original experiment 9 years ago? Because that assistance would have just come from a parallel future, right? My theory was that the world sort of "rewound" because any bad ending would have created a time paradox, but apparently Uchikoshi said they were real alternate worlds that continued to exist even after everyone's deaths in a Famitsu interview...

3. Is sweet, loveable Akane like, a heartless sociopath or what? She subjects multiple innocents to the incredible trauma of a second Nonary Game when she could have just straight-up asked them to cooperate with her instead (clearly Clover and Snake weren't in on the ruse, or Clover wouldn't have snapped like that...). And in order to save her own ass she caused a lot of innocent deaths in apparently real (?) alternate worlds. Please convince me I'm missing something, because I still want to love her.

4. Why was it so important that Junpei solve everything of his own volition? Surely Akane or Santa could have guided him down the right doors. Obviously, that wouldn't have been nearly as fun for the player, but I'm wondering if I missed something that explained this...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Takuhi said:
OK, here are my big, spoiler-packed questions for the table:

1. my assumption is that Seven lied, Akane never died because she was saved by Junpei from the future, and that Akane conspired with Santa and Seven to set up a second parallel Nonary Game to create the future in which Junpei saved her, because failing to do so would cause a paradox that would blink her out of existence. How am I doing so far?

2. If that's true, what do the alternate endings represent? If they're parallel worlds, and you can send information through parallel worlds (because obviously true-ending Junpei got crucial information from the note-ending Junpei), then why would it be necessary for Akane to set up the actual future that saved her in the original experiment 9 years ago? Because that assistance would have just come from a parallel future, right? My theory was that the world sort of "rewound" because any bad ending would have created a time paradox, but apparently Uchikoshi said they were real alternate worlds that continued to exist even after everyone's deaths in a Famitsu interview...

3. Is sweet, loveable Akane like, a heartless sociopath or what? She subjects multiple innocents to the incredible trauma of a second Nonary Game when she could have just straight-up asked them to cooperate with her instead (clearly Clover and Snake weren't in on the ruse, or Clover wouldn't have snapped like that...). And in order to save her own ass she caused a lot of innocent deaths in apparently real (?) alternate worlds. Please convince me I'm missing something, because I still want to love her.

4. Why was it so important that Junpei solve everything of his own volition? Surely Akane or Santa could have guided him down the right doors. Obviously, that wouldn't have been nearly as fun for the player, but I'm wondering if I missed something that explained this...

Well, first off, I'm assuming
you've beaten the true ending?

If so...

1. Ding! Ding! Ding! Correct :D!

2. The alternate universes are still necessary to draw information from. The very information that's needed to help guide Junpei to the true ending :D Junpei still needs to save June from her fate in the past regardless. It wasn't that Junpei got the info from his alternate self, it was that past Akane saw that information from an alternate ending and was able to relay it to Junpei during the true ending, since she and Junpei were one.

3. Zero/Akane never killed anyone. She only placed the bombs in the 4 culprits from the original Nonary game (everyone else was just tricked into believing that). She also gave the culprits a means to escape as well. In the end, it was Ace that succumbed and ended up killing his other 3 co-conspirators. Akane needed to recreate the scenario of 9 years prior, since past Akane was fused with Junpei and thus the journey led to the destination of being able to solve the final puzzle and relay that information to Akane, thus saving her in the past.

4. It was because past Akane was seeing through Junpei's eyes. Essentially all the novel parts were an allusion to Akane's thoughts being one with Junpei's. Thus due to her strong bond with Junpei and seeing/feeling/hearing things through his eyes in the same environment her past self was in, it ultimately led to Junpei being able to solve the puzzle that killed her and transmitting that information back to her past self, so that she could solve the puzzle and be saved :D

Hopefully that helped :)!

Takuhi

Ah, I got you. I'm mostly satisfied with those answers, BUT...

No way I'm letting Akane off the hook! If all of these parallel worlds are equally valid, then her actions lead to the deaths of the completely innocent Snake, Clover, Junpei, and Lotus in almost all of them. If I were to lock the staff of Aksys games in a building with a group of disguised child-murderers, live weaponry, and no means of escape, convince you all that your lives were in immediate peril, and subject you to a battery of traumatic life-or-death challenges, I don't think the "I didn't personally kill anyone" defense is going to fly after Ben snaps and murders everyone with a hatchet. Nor will your loved ones be particularly consoled when I explain to them how you actually survived in some other alternate dimension. That girl is a second-degree mass murderer.

But on the other hand, she is pretty hot.

Great game, though. :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Takuhi said:
Ah, I got you. I'm mostly satisfied with those answers, BUT...

No way I'm letting Akane off the hook! If all of these parallel worlds are equally valid, then her actions lead to the deaths of the completely innocent Snake, Clover, Junpei, and Lotus in almost all of them. If I were to lock the staff of Aksys games in a building with a group of disguised child-murderers, live weaponry, and no means of escape, convince you all that your lives were in immediate peril, and subject you to a battery of traumatic life-or-death challenges, I don't think the "I didn't personally kill anyone" defense is going to fly after Ben snaps and murders everyone with a hatchet. Nor will your loved ones be particularly consoled when I explain to them how you actually survived in some other alternate dimension. That girl is a second-degree mass murderer.

But on the other hand, she is pretty hot.

Great game, though. :)

Hahaha! I lol'd :D!

In this case there was an escape possibility for everyone, including the "Bad guys". And the "good guys" only thought they had bombs. Unfortunately the name of the game was the "Nonary Game", so they had to be placed in that situation to help save Akane in the past. A necessary evil if you will :)

Junpei, when he thinks Santa is Zero, makes a comment that he didn't kill anyone (because it was Ace). Luckily the true ending comes out on top, than those other alternate timelines hehe

Great game indeed ;)

Got my next ending:
the submarine one. And holy shit, is that who I think it is? Cause there's really only one possibility...

Just two more left to go!

Akselziys said:
Junpei was axing for it :lol *Looks down on the ground like a sad Ace*

You should be ashamed.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Damn, this game deserves my money but money is tight. Fuck it. Games like this on the DS are so amazing. Going to see if maybe Amazon has a deal on this for BF (not going to happen), and if not I'll just buy it.

Ferrio

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Care to share some impressions? I need to know just how good it is before I go ahead and order it.

If you're a plan of story driven games like phoenix wright it's a a must buy. The puzzles aren't very hard at all, so if you're a big puzzle fiend looking for a challenge you wont' find it here. There's really not much to give impressions on since it's mostly text. Lots of reading, pick a few options, do an escape then back to lots of reading.

How hard is it to get the true ending without looking it up? I'm doing my second play through and I'm suppose to have my stuff from my previous play through... but stuff i had in my file isn't there.

Wizpig

I'm reading Umineko no Naku Koro ni, but that's an actual Japanese visual/sound novel... basically a book.
You just read. (and it's awesome)

If this is more similar to experiments like Ace Attorney or Hotel Dusk, with actual gameplay i will love it, no doubts about this.

atomsk

Party Pooper
since I was going about 100 miles out of town yesterday for a concert, I figured I'd look up some gamestops in the area as long as I was out there... and one 6 miles from the venue said "in stock"

so I get there and they tell me "yeah we got in 1 copy" and proceed to spend 10 minutes looking for it and then go WHOOPS WE CAN'T FIND IT

and then tell me the mall 3 miles down the road has 2 gamestops and they should both have it...

i get down to the mall... and it had just closed 10 minutes ago

the universe does not want me to have this game

spidye

somehow this game reminds me of that little ds adventure game time hollow. that was so awesome. hopefully this is good too.

Tuesday said:
Don't be too hard on him. I'm sure it was just an
axeident
Will you stop with the puns if I politely
ax you
?

Also, for future reference, the past tense of "lead" is "led." Sorry to be that guy, but when something is very well written as a whole, little typos like that really bug me.

Anyway, I got the second-to-last ending and am currently on my way to the true one!
The showdown with Ace was awesome. Junpei can be very clever when he puts his mind to it.

Belisarius

Neo Member
hosannainexcelsis said:
Will you stop with the puns if I politely
ax you
?

Also, for future reference, the past tense of "lead" is "led." Sorry to be that guy, but when something is very well written as a whole, little typos like that really bug me.
I'm afraid that would be
unaxeeptable

Sorry about "lead". :( I can't say anything else that doesn't just sound like an excuse, so...yeah. I suppose with how much the game narrative changes tense, some errors like that were inevitable.

Top Bottom