• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
CenLX615 said:
Canadians don't get the pre-order bonus watch, do they? Or is that only for America?

That was up for GameStop.com to decide, but unfortunately I don't believe GameStop.com Canada received any :(

Belisarius

Neo Member
dream said:
Dear Tuesday,

Why does your game not exist in Canada?

Love,
Canada
Dear dream,

We are still trying to verify whether or not this "Canada" exists. Initial results are inconclusive. So-called "Canadian" bacon, for instance, is actually just smoked ham, and has no connection to this supposed "Canada" at all. I'm sure you can understand our trepidation in shipping games to a country that may or may not exist.

Also, I hear that because the our packaging in not bi-lingual, retailers in Canada—if they exist—haven't ordered very many copies of the game, since apparently there are "rules" about that sort of thing for "Canadian" retailers.

Love,
Tuesday

dream

Dear Tuesday,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I apologize for my country's misleadingly named bacon and bizarre language laws. To atone, I will import a North American copy of your game to my home in North America.

Love,
dream
(P.S. amazon.com tells me that if I like 999, I will also like the following books:
Gay Sex: A Manual For Men Who Love Men, Second Edition
Going Down: The Essential Guide to Oral Sex
The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Men)

Belisarius

Neo Member
dream said:
Dear Tuesday,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I apologize for my country's misleadingly named bacon and bizarre language laws. To atone, I will import a North American copy of your game to my home in North America.

Love,
dream
(P.S. amazon.com tells me that if I like 999, I will also like the following books:
Gay Sex: A Manual For Men Who Love Men, Second Edition
Going Down: The Essential Guide to Oral Sex
The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Men)
Dear dream,

I will forgive you for the bacon, because a rose by any other name would still taste like delicious ham.

Love,
Tuesday

P.S. Amazon.com is right.

TimeKillr

Tuesday said:
But we've always been here, in the smile of every child and the glow of every sunset.

I thought children and sunsets were banned from here? Who can tolerate them anyway.. I can barely contain my rage when the sun sets (or when children smile, while we're at it).

Now, I was informed of this game today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/428:_Fūsa_Sareta_Shibuya_de

While it barely sold in japan (50k copies on the Wii) you guys should localize it. I'd buy at least 5 copies, I swear! :)

TimeKillr

dream said:
Dear Tuesday,

Why does your game not exist in Canada?

Love,
Canada

Dear Canada,

I have been informed that a certain Canadian website, which happens to sell games by mail, happens to sell 999, and that it has already shipped copies of the game to customers.

That website could be called videogamesplus.ca. Or it might not.

In fact, it probably isn't, but for all intents and purposes, let's say it has, and that you should order from them instead of from the evil that is Amazon.com to Canada.

dream

Ah, VGP - Canada is pleased!

(as for the rest of you, how can you not buy an adventure game edited by a man with wit like that?)

JKTrix

I'm at fever pitch for this game right now, but I'm afraid it won't be delivered to me before I go away for a week next Tuesday. Two weeks! I might end up just buying a copy during my trip.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
JKTrix said:
I'm at fever pitch for this game right now, but I'm afraid it won't be delivered to me before I go away for a week next Tuesday. Two weeks! I might end up just buying a copy during my trip.

Either way works :D Though the latter may lead to more immediate pleasure ;)

Scalpel Knight said:
This game looks awesome. Will definitely pick it up soon.

Thanks! It won't disappoint! :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I saw a trailer for this a few days ago, and I've gotta say that I'm really looking forward to this game. The art initially drew me in, but then I read the premise. I will be all over this. Too bad I missed out on any pre-order bonuses that may have been given out for this game. I literally didn't know it existed until launch. :lol

Roto13

JKTrix said:
Then you can give me one. That works out well!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Akselziys said:
Look at our online store tomorrow and all will be revealed to thee :D

Hmm... does that also mean I shouldn't buy the game tonight, but wait until tomorrow?

Keep in mind that every time a cryptic message is posted, a kitten dies.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
GuardianE said:
Hmm... does that also mean I shouldn't buy the game tonight, but wait until tomorrow?

Keep in mind that every time a cryptic message is posted, a kitten dies.

Well, there will be multiple options tomorrow, so either way works :D

Volcynika

Oh hey guys what's going on in--

rvIJW.jpg

:eek:

Colocho

Banned
someguyinahat said:
Puzzles? Point and clicks? DS?

Well, it's hitting all the right notes for this guy in a hat.

I miss Cing. :(
Hey look! It's Jason Mraz!

Probably been done to death, but I couldn't resist.

Volcynika

I'm not too far in, I just chose my first door after meeting everyone. I chose door number
---five---
. You editors at Aksys can draw quite a scene without any pictures! Right after
the 9th man went in and the beeping started I was like OHMYGOD I KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN and just kinda dreaded it a bit
. Crazzzzzzzzzzy!

Was busy preparing things for a work lunch tomorrow so I couldn't play too much, but I'm going to be absorbed into this game this weekend!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
I'm not too far in, I just chose my first door after meeting everyone. I chose door number
---five---
. You editors at Aksys can draw quite a scene without any pictures! Right after
the 9th man went in and the beeping started I was like OHMYGOD I KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN and just kinda dreaded it a bit
. Crazzzzzzzzzzy!

Was busy preparing things for a work lunch tomorrow so I couldn't play too much, but I'm going to be absorbed into this game this weekend!

Haha, awesome! Glad you're enjoying yourself :D !

You can thank the mighty Ben/Tuesday for being quite the vernacular painter ;)

Belisarius

Neo Member
I mentioned options yesterday, and now those options are available. Over in our store, you can find the following:
Sadly, we can only ship these items to the continental United States, but if you missed out on the pre-order, or just didn't care to order online from Gamestop, you can still get a watch. Hooray!

I apologize for being such an obvious shill, but I figured some of you might be interested in alternate purchase options.

knkng

Woohoo, I just got a copy (and in Canada!). Will play over the weekend, although unfortunately I work early shifts and need some serious sleep right about now. :(

kiryogi

Banned
Found a copy last night @ Bellevue Square (Washington) Gamestop. Tried my usual store where I preordered it.. No dice. Tried another local one and that was also fail. Decided to check out the Bell Square GS since I was in the area and viola. Talk about a very eventful night tho. Got to see Dave Matthews play live too :D (For Microsoft Store grand opening)

Takuhi

kiryogi said:
Found a copy last night @ Bellevue Square (Washington) Gamestop. Tried my usual store where I preordered it.. No dice. Tried another local one and that was also fail. Decided to check out the Bell Square GS since I was in the area and viola. Talk about a very eventful night tho. Got to see Dave Matthews play live too :D (For Microsoft Store grand opening)

You are a lucky man! I've been trying to track one down for a friend and it looks like the last two existing copies in Washington state are in Silverdale and Puyallup! Yikes.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
That's awesome that a bunch of you have been able to track down copies :D !

Now you can put those skills to use in Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors ;)

wsippel

Banned
Just tried the demo to see what the hype is about. I kinda get it. The sense of urgency is impressive. Sadly, I'm also reminded why I put Layton down after roughly an hour and never touched it again. I love point & click adventures of the Lucasarts and Telltale variety, but I'm so utterly terrible at those abstract logic puzzles that I can't even figure out how to open the damn suitcase. The fact that you can't access the lock and look at the hints at the same time doesn't exactly help, either. Oh well, too bad...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
wsippel said:
Just tried the demo to see what the hype is about. I kinda get it. The sense of urgency is impressive. Sadly, I'm also reminded why I put Layton down after roughly an hour and never touched it again. I love point & click adventures of the Lucasarts and Telltale variety, but I'm so utterly terrible at those abstract logic puzzles that I can't even figure out how to open the damn suitcase. The fact that you can't access the lock and look at the hints at the same time doesn't exactly help, either. Oh well, too bad...

Haha, not to worry, wsippel :)

999 isn't for everyone, but thanks for at least taking the time to check it out :D!

Nekobo

Random question about the watch: is it water proof? Just curious because it's raining in LA this weekend and I was planning to wear it :lol

Can't wait to play the game! The game should be arriving today.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Nekobo said:
Random question about the watch: is it water proof? Just curious because it's raining in LA this weekend and I was planning to wear it :lol

Can't wait to play the game! The game should be arriving today.

Well, it's metal and digital, so it might rust/other bad things could happen to it, so best to err on the side of caution ;)

And I'm super excited that you'll finally get the chance to play it! :)

wsippel

Banned
Akselziys said:
Haha, not to worry, wsippel :)

999 isn't for everyone, but thanks for at least taking the time to check it out :D!
I check out pretty much everything Aksys releases. It's mostly too niche even for me, but most of my favorite games are niche games, so that makes Aksys an obvious company to watch (not to mention I love Blazblue). And I've always wanted to try an adventure by Chunsoft.

I don't really get why I suck so terrible at those games, though. I'm a software developer, working on quite abstract stuff like audio manipulation, artificial intelligence and even encryption every day, but as soon as I'm confronted with even the simplest puzzles in Layton (or 999), I'm drawing a blank. Too bad, as the concept is definitely intriguing, and nice adventure games, especially on the DS, are always welcome. By the way, could you (or someone else) post the code for the suitcase? Maybe I'll get it once I try it in reverse...

Anyway, it seems 999 was a great pick, and you guys did a great job localizing the game as far as I can tell from the admittedly very limited exposure I had. Keep it up!

Nekobo

Akselziys said:
Well, it's metal and digital, so it might rust/other bad things could happen to it, so best to err on the side of caution ;)

And I'm super excited that you'll finally get the chance to play it! :)

Haha, good idea.

I'm gonna play 999 the same way I read my books: on my bed with the lights off (I usually read with a booklight). The rain should add to the ambiance, too. I love staying up to read good mystery-suspense stories.

Belisarius

Neo Member
wsippel said:
I check out pretty much everything Aksys releases. It's mostly too niche even for me, but most of my favorite games are niche games, so that makes Aksys an obvious company to watch (not to mention I love Blazblue). And I've always wanted to try an adventure by Chunsoft.

I don't really get why I suck so terrible at those games, though. I'm a software developer, working on quite abstract stuff like audio manipulation, artificial intelligence and even encryption every day, but as soon as I'm confronted with even the simplest puzzles in Layton (or 999), I'm drawing a blank. Too bad, as the concept is definitely intriguing, and nice adventure games, especially on the DS, are always welcome. By the way, could you (or someone else) post the code for the suitcase? Maybe I'll get it once I try it in reverse...

Anyway, it seems 999 was a great pick, and you guys did a great job localizing the game as far as I can tell from the admittedly very limited exposure I had. Keep it up!
Not all of the puzzles are like the suitcase one in the demo, and unlike the Lucasarts-style adventure games, where the puzzles are often pretty random combination of items (use chicken + hose to open door), most of the puzzles in 999 are more logical, and sort of...make sense.

Ranger X

wsippel said:

Anyway, it seems 999 was a great pick, and you guys did a great job localizing the game as far as I can tell from the admittedly very limited exposure I had.

Just checking the solution won't make you better though. It's true you need to wrap your mind around a certain a style to be good at those games but how about I explain the thinking to you and then you actually "solve" it yourself? ;)

First off, you're suppose to have cliked on every damn thing in the room. I mean seriously, there's also a red case, a red key, 1 paper to explain the geometrical code and 2 papers telling you the combination.

So there's a blue case, blue key and a part of the blue code on each of those little paper pieces. The tricly part is to understand those little papers that gives you the combination. Look under the geometrical shapes and you will see an arrow. This is the direction in wich you should read the thing but you need to seperate the colors yourself. In short, the blue combination starts on one paper and ends on the other. Same for the red combination.

Now, I suppose you figured wich numbers equals to wich geometrical shape right?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Nekobo said:
Haha, good idea.

I'm gonna play 999 the same way I read my books: on my bed with the lights off (I usually read with a booklight). The rain should add to the ambiance, too. I love staying up to read good mystery-suspense stories.

Haha, I like playing it in the dark too, though sometimes I make sure the door is locked to the apartment for good measure ;)

wsippel said:

It's all good! I was going to explain it, but my comrade-in-arms, Ranger X, seems to have beat me to it :D

The first puzzle I admit is a little challenging but the majority are more logic based thus making them a little easier to solve, if that helps any :)

And thanks for the BlazBlue love as well!

Top Bottom