• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

bluehat9 said:
Ok, just played through it once. Now what do I do?

- Select "Begin With Memories"
- Hold right on d-pad to skip past text you've already read
- Choose different doors
- Get different endings

- Repeat until you have all the endings.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Whoever was the character designer did a really bad job at making Lotus appear old. She doesn't look a day past thirty.

Maybe that's old by animu standards.

Regulus Tera said:
Whoever was the character designer did a really bad job at making Lotus appear old. She doesn't look a day past thirty.

Yeah, I totally agreed with that. But yeah, by anime standards 30 is "washed up, no aspirations" age.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Regulus Tera said:

Well, since asians don't age the same as everyone else and that's the standard the devs are coming from, she still looks accurate! ;P

I got this game today because I was bored. I only got it because I've heard it being discussed on NeoGAF so much. I didn't know anything about it beforehand.

So I played this game non-stop today, one sitting, and was fixed to the tiny screens. I didn't even know there were multiple endings! I finished it 5 minutes ago.

The ending I got was
the bad ending where you get stabbed in the back by the one who also stabbed lotus.

ashbash159 said:
I got this game today because I was bored. I only got it because I've heard it being discussed on NeoGAF so much. I didn't know anything about it beforehand.

So I played this game non-stop today, one sitting, and was fixed to the tiny screens. I didn't even know there were multiple endings! I finished it 5 minutes ago.

The ending I got was
the bad ending where you get stabbed in the back by the one who also stabbed lotus.

Awesome! now try it again (begin with memories) and go for a different ending! every ending you get makes the game better and better.

Regulus Tera said:

Botox. Highly advanced botox.
In the Aksys 999 Q&A, the creator did say the game takes place in the future

-Winnie-

Okay, ordered due to GAF hype.
I loved the Phoenix Wright games, and I heard this was in the same vein, so I'm hoping for the best.

-Winnie- said:
Okay, ordered due to GAF hype.
I loved the Phoenix Wright games, and I heard this was in the same vein, so I'm hoping for the best.
I'd say the writing style is closer to Hotel Dusk or Persona than Phoenix Wright, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This game just justified the dual screens on the DS. Holy shit.

I would be more impressed if I had played more visual novels in my past. Which is to say something, because I'm already pretty fucking amazed. Shit got meta.

Regulus Tera said:

I would be more impressed if I had played more visual novels in my past. Which is to say something, because I'm already pretty fucking amazed. Shit got meta.

Now you see why this game couldn't possibly be done on another platform with the same results. :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
timetokill said:
Now you see why this game couldn't possibly be done on another platform with the same results. :)

Proof that Game of the Year threads should be posted the following year.

I've always been shit at Sudoku.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:

awesome game design is awesome. david cage and other video game 'storytellers' need to go through this thing as a learning tool. they desperately need it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AniHawk said:
awesome game design is awesome. david cage and other video game 'storytellers' need to go through this thing as a learning tool. they desperately need it.

It was really subtle, and the moment the
narration changes to first-person
your mind just goes KABOOM. They could have easily overblown it by making one or two more puzzles that required
Jumpy helping Kanny in the past
, and that would have felt forced, gimmicky, and tired. Kinda Squeenixey, even.

Reading the interview with the director, awesome stuff. Rarely does a game leave me wanting more. I do still think that not being able to skip instead of fast-forward some of the puzzles is detrimental to the experience, but it's really a minor blemish in an otherwise perfect package.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:
It was really subtle, and the moment the
narration changes to first-person
your mind just goes KABOOM. They could have easily overblown it by making one or two more puzzles that required
Jumpy helping Kanny in the past
, and that would have felt forced, gimmicky, and tired. Kinda Squeenixey, even.

Reading the interview with the director, awesome stuff. Rarely does a game leave me wanting more. I do still think that not being able to skip instead of fast-forward some of the puzzles is detrimental to the experience, but it's really a minor blemish in an otherwise perfect package.

there are three things this game does that other story-intensive games have but don't do as well:

1. use the technology to tell a story. while most people try to closer approximate interactive filmmaking (or in a lot of cases, noninteractive filmmaking), the 999 guys managed to work the system itself into the storytelling. it's a great reveal without actually saying anything. the last time something even nearly as cool as this happened was the end fight in beyond good & evil.

2. choices. in most games, choices are a simple 'are you good, neutral, or evil?' so if you want to be a dick, you can be a dick. or if you want to be nice, you can be nice. in 999, they're just numbers on the door. and you don't really know if it's the right decision (i know the first time i played i went in with the mindset of 'this is the right thing to do'). it's just a decision, and one with consequences. it was refreshing to see that without some morality stuff attached to it (although choosing door 3 is kinda the game's only obvious 'dick move').

3. and that leads into endings. this is pretty obvious, but it was really cool to see something very common to video games like multiple endings worked into the story. other games do it as a reward for being the good, bad, or neutral guy. 999 does it because it's part of a larger whole.

i guess the only drawback is that it's pretty much a one-trick pony. #3 for instance, can't be done in another game because 999 already did it. but it's the thinking behind #3 that's pretty terrific and the type of outside-the-box thinking i'd like to see other people try and tackle. i don't think david cage is up to it because i don't think he's very talented in general, but i would love to see the result of a brainstorming session with some really good developers (i might get beaten if i name names). they're probably satisfied with interactive movies though.

jaxword

timetokill said:
Yeah, I totally agreed with that. But yeah, by anime standards 30 is "washed up, no aspirations" age.

That's not just in anime, friend, we have that here in America as well. We call it Hollywood.

jaxword

timetokill said:
How do you figure?

Really? You don't see how women in America are considered past their prime come age ~30? I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm genuinely surprised anyone would not know this about the entertainment industry (which is the biggest influence on culture).

Models, actressess, singers? Think about the most popular ones, the biggest crowd-drawers, and, most importantly, the ones considered the most sexy. With a few minor exceptions, all today's female stars have to be young and beautiful. The entertainment industry is BUILT on this idea, and our culture is no exception.

jaxword said:
Really? You don't see how women in America are considered past their prime come age ~30? I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm genuinely surprised anyone would not know this about the entertainment industry (which is the biggest influence on culture).

Models, actressess, singers? Think about the most popular ones, the biggest crowd-drawers, and, most importantly, the ones considered the most sexy. With a few minor exceptions, all today's female stars have to be young and beautiful. The entertainment industry is BUILT on this idea.

I see the disconnect now. I wasn't just talking about females.

But yeah, obviously as far as sex appeal goes, younger people fare a lot better. I think that's pretty much the case everywhere. And it's obviously unfortunate that women are still mostly valued on their sex appeal because that means that after a certain age they aren't considered that relevant anymore. That said, consider that it's Oprah that is the most powerful woman in the country, and she's not exactly high on the sexiness charts and she's not young either.

Beyond that, I was just talking about the usual trope of anybody who isn't basically a teenager in anime/japanese video games being considered an old man without much to look forward to. I think that's related to how the career system and stuff works in Japan and many other cultural issues, but that's really an entirely different topic to a 999 thread.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"What are the heights of each character? What are the measurements for the female characters? (bust/waist/hips)

FINALLY, A LIGHT QUESTION! Unfortunately, I'm sorry... I didn't really give the characters specific atributes like that. All I know is that Lotus has big boobs. That's for sure. She used to live in Silicon Valley, but her boobs are not filled with silicon. They are ALL NATURAL."

Okay that's pretty awesome.

jaxword

timetokill said:
Beyond that, I was just talking about the usual trope of anybody who isn't basically a teenager in anime/japanese video games being considered an old man without much to look forward to. I think that's related to how the career system and stuff works in Japan and many other cultural issues, but that's really an entirely different topic to a 999 thread.

Well, yeah, it may seem anime is particularly bad for the youth markets, and you're right, most anime heroes are maybe 16. I'm already an old man at 20.

However, really, we're not much better over here. Half our celebrities are teenagers, like Bieber, Hannah Montana, Miley, etc. etc.

It is true that Japan's particularly bad for the Christmas Cake culture, though. Hence poor Lotus being the butt of so many jokes from guys.

Jintor

Regulus Tera said:
"What are the heights of each character? What are the measurements for the female characters? (bust/waist/hips)

FINALLY, A LIGHT QUESTION! Unfortunately, I'm sorry... I didn't really give the characters specific atributes like that. All I know is that Lotus has big boobs. That's for sure. She used to live in Silicon Valley, but her boobs are not filled with silicon. They are ALL NATURAL."

Okay that's pretty awesome.

That was the best. The best.

It's like he's so proud of it too :p

I agree with Anihawk

However, it kind of bugs me that a lot of the plot is classic predestination paradox. Where does any of the 'ideas' originate? No answer. It happened because it already happened, so it has to happen now, so that-

Well, so long as you accept the basic premise it's all still awesome

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just finished the game today with all endings. I'm glad I found all the endings in an order that just feels "right" to me.
Went from Knife->Sub->Axe (made Clover the best character.) ->Coffin->Safe->True
. Every playthrough brought a little bit more information and hints.
Also I really wasn't expecting the True Ending to have so much more content. It almost doubles the playtime.

Great game, and also a very good soundtrack. I love the music that plays during the final puzzle.

Glad the thread is still semi-active. I don't think I'm alone in saying it lasted much longer than I could've hoped. Also great to see people checking out the VN and Saya no Uta threads thanks to a growing interest in the genre. It would be great if the genre had a real presence in the west.

Joe Molotov

Awesome game, played it for about 5 hours this afternoon.

Got knifed in the back. I'm going back for Round 2 right now.

Joe Molotov said:
Awesome game, played it for about 5 hours this afternoon.

Got knifed in the back. I'm going back for Round 2 right now.

Awesome! Let us know what the next ending you get is, and spoiler any theories you start to inevitably develop :)

Joe Molotov

It sucks, because I really want to read what everyone's saying about this game, but at the same time I don't want to know anything! :D :D I didn't even know there were multiple endings until I got my first one. I just assumed all paths would eventually bring you to the same place.

Joe Molotov said:
It sucks, because I really want to read what everyone's saying about this game, but at the same time I don't want to know anything! :D :D I didn't even know there were multiple endings until I got my first one. I just assumed all paths would eventually bring you to the same place.

Yeah, definitely don't spoil it for yourself. The game goes from good to mind-blowing as you progress toward getting each ending. Savor it!

Jintor

cosmicblizzard said:
Glad the thread is still semi-active. I don't think I'm alone in saying it lasted much longer than I could've hoped. Also great to see people checking out the VN and Saya no Uta threads thanks to a growing interest in the genre. It would be great if the genre had a real presence in the west.

I've definitely been contemplating writing a visual novel storyline :p

I'm just so busy right now :T Maybe at the end of the year I'll think about it seriously. Right now it's just doodles in sketchpads and stuff...

Joe Molotov

Okay, another ending is in the books. Here's what I can piece together so far... (warning: long and probably wrong)

I got the "Sub" ending this time, so I've got the Sub and the Knife now or Endings #5 and 6 judging from the save screen. This one it didn't really seem to put me any closer to figuring out the identity of Zero or the killer. In the knife ending several people got killed, then Junpei, and he sees his killer, but doesn't seem shocked. In the Sub ending everyone dies, so you think, well it's gotta be a 10th person/persons. Buuuut, this isn't my first rodeo, I've read And Then There Were None. You didn't really get a chance to carefully inspect most of the bodies, so some one could have faked their death. And The 9th Man and Snake's bodies were both badly mangled, leaving some leeway there for some fake corpse switcheroo. But I still don't have any idea whodunit, so I'll let that lie for now.

What I can make out is that apparently 9 years ago, 16 children were kidnapped. All the children were patients at a hospital that was run by Cradle Pharmaceuticals. The children were subjected to mind-control/telepathy experiments, and then 9 days later were returned to their parents. Although I don't know everyone's story yet, I think it's probably safe to say that everyone was involved in this incident somehow. So far what I know (assuming what I've been told is true):

- Seven was a cop investigating the kidnappings, got kidnapped himself, found the kids, doesn't know what happened after that.

- Lotus' two daughters got kidnapped. This led her start her own investigation.

- Junpei and June are the same age as Lotus' daughters. Could they have been kidnapped too, and maybe blocked out the memories? Or at least, maybe they could have known one of the victims.

- Santa was looking wistfully at a picture of a sister. Another possible kidnapping victim? He also made a lot of money buying and selling CP stock.

- The 9th Man seemed like he knew a little bit that everyone else about what's going on. Also, just the way he looked makes me think mad doctor, so I'm thinking that maybe he was one of the doctors that performed the experiments.

- Ace, Snake, and Clover are still mysteries, I'm not sure yet how they fit in.

Okay, so if everyone is connected to the kidnapping, then what is Zero's angle? It seems like the Nonary Game is bringing out details about the past that have been buried for years, could this be the purpose? Maybe Zero wants the past to be uncovered for some reason, and set up this elaborate game to expose the truth.

Then we have the killer. It's seems pretty obvious that Zero isn't the killer, because it doesn't make sense that Zero spend all this time setting up this game, and then just stab people in the back. So maybe the killer is somebody that doesn't want the truth getting out. Maybe someone responsible for the kidnappings and experimenting. If that's the case, it would probably be one of the older people, and if we take Lotus and Seven's stories as truth, that would seem to cast suspicion on Ace. Could he have been a CP exec maybe? Or maybe a doctor himself?

So, let's throw everything into a big pile and see what comes out...

Joe Molotov's Grand Theory #1: Zero wants to expose the truth about Cradle Pharmaceuticals. For fun, we'll say that Zero is really Santa. He's deceptively smart, he's a numbers guy. CP did something bad to his sister and he's going to expose them. But he's just some punk kid and he doesn't have enough evidence, nobody will believe him. So he becomes the "Black Santa" and sets up this elaborate "trick" to expose the truth. Ace is the President of CP. He doesn't want his dirty laundry exposed, so he's going to kill everyone else before they can figure it all out. And because there's no way it's that simple, I'm going to throw in an extra twist. Junpei and June were two of the kidnap victims from 9 years ago. They've been brainwashed into forgetting what happened, but on command, they can still be telepathically mind controlled. Ace uses them to kill the other passengers, and then to forget what happened.

But just so you know, I've read/watched Higurashi and Umineko, and I'm not ruling out demons, witches, aliens, angry spirits, curses, magic, time travel, pocket universes, dreams, Quantum mechanics, split personalities or anything else.

Amory

I have played this game nonstop for almost 2 days now. What an awesome concept. I just got (presumably) the most depressing ending,
where everyone is slaughtered by some murderer that can't have been anyone in the group, since everyone was supposedly dead...
Very unsettling. Especially when you're playing at night by yourself and its all rainy out *shiver*

So I started anew and I think I'm doing better.

Can someone answer for me, will talking to people or not talking to people during the search for
snake
section affect what ending you get? I already know what everyone has to say, and I'd just as soon select the answers I've already given, skip the dialogue and move on as quickly as possible. Also, is it possible for
snake to not die?

ataboada

Amory Blaine said:
Can someone answer for me, will talking to people or not talking to people during the search for
snake
section affect what ending you get? I already know what everyone has to say, and I'd just as soon select the answers I've already given, skip the dialogue and move on as quickly as possible. Also, is it possible for
snake to not die?

As far as the first question goes, I don't think it really affects the ending you get, if I recall correctly. The only way to get an answer to your second question is to keep playing. Sometimes I got the urge to find instant answers, though I found it more rewarding to play the game in order to get them, especially since there are so many things that a little spoiler could possibly ruin.

Amory

ataboada said:
As far as the first question goes, I don't think it really affects the ending you get, if I recall correctly. The only way to get an answer to your second question is to keep playing. Sometimes I got the urge to find instant answers, though I found it more rewarding to play the game in order to get them, especially since there are so many things that a little spoiler could possibly ruin.

Ah you're right. I don't really want to know (well I do) but I'll figure it out in due time. :)

Top Bottom