• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

milkham

I'm late to the party but I just got all the endings today after playing pretty much nonstop.
Are there any other games like this?

edit: also sad i missed out on the watch

milkham said:
I'm late to the party but I just got all the endings today after playing pretty much nonstop.
Are there any other games like this?

There's Ever17 which has the same writer. You can also check out the VN thread and see if anything catches your interest.

Excellent post, Joe. Some really fun theorizing going on there, and way to think it through! Keep us posted if your thoughts on the matter change at all :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I have just completed my fourth ending.

So far, my playthroughs, in order:

Doors 4, , 7, and 6.
Doors 4, 7, and 2.
Doors 4, 7, and 1.
Doors 4, 7, and 1 (again): Unlocks Preview B.

I can slowly see the overall plot coming together... Might not want to read if you haven't unlocked all of these endings, since I might confuse the endings for 4 7 6 and 4 7 2 and I will be referencing the other 3 endings...

4 7 6:
Junpei encounter Lotus's dead body, then Junpei died as he was stabbed in the back with a knife. Possibly a handknife from person #9's body, but possibly the knife from the kitchen. With Lotus and Junpeis bracelets, we have 8 + 5 = 13. As this was my first ending, I assumed that Snake was dead. With snake dead, we have 15. That means Santa's the likely culprit here. Other possibiliities: Alice, Snake, or Person #9 isn't really dead. My money's on Santa, though.

4 7 2:
By far the most depressing ending so far, and I assume the most depressing and worst ending in the game. Ace, Santa, Clover, Seven, and Lotus are all found dead. June/Kanny dies in Junpei's arms, and then Junpei is stabbed and falls facedown into the water, dead. Who killed them? Most likely Alice or the surviving #9 man.

4 7 1 #1
I didn't accept the clover from Santa in this one... Clover goes batshit insane and kills Santa and Seven for murdering Snake, and June for trying to protect them. Clover extends her arm to Junpei and seems to paralyze him with some kind of crazy mind control from the experiment, then kills him with the axe.

4 7 1 unlock preview B:
Gave Clover the Clover and all that good stuff. Santa uses the gun from room 6 (I knew this would happen in one of the endings, and Icalled it being Santa, too!) to hold June hostage and force Ace and Lotus to accompany him and June out of door 9, leaving Seven, Junpei, and Clover behind. Someone is banging on the coffin and no one knows the passcode. In this playthrough, I learned that snake was alive, and Alice is possibly running rampant on the ship.
crazy prediction: Guy #9 was really zero (and ended up being tricked and killed by guy #9), and the captain in room 1 is guy #9 (killed by a rampaging alice). Or something crazy like that. Snake is in the coffin, likely put there by Alice. There are some holes in this theory, and I have no idea what to make of preview B that was unlocked, but whatever. I also realize with this theory, I have no idea what the alleged-but-debunked Snake corpse behind room 3 actually was.
If Clover, Junpei, and Seven can find Snake, or his bracelet, they can escape the boat too, though.

In conclusion, this story is awesome,
Clover
is mostly batshit insane or borderline batshit, and
Santa
is an asshole.

I think. We'll see what else I can uncover in subsequent playthroughs :D

Deku

Banned
Just got into the meat of my 2nd playthrough after the
knife ending
(LONG delayed due to work)
seems like many people got this ending probably due to the curiosity of ending door 5 out of morbid curiosity? :p

Really liking it so far, this time the mystery component is racheted up.

June is one horny girl

GaimeGuy

haha yeah the elevator dialogue is hilarious, and it just goes on and on.

Nice stuff Gaime, some good speculation there...

I love how the game really leads people to some wildly different conclusions as they approach each of the endings. very cool.

milkham

man, i really loved this game and reading some of this thread earlier answered my questions, but one thing i still don't get is why
akane and aoi just drove off after getting out of building q instead of hanging around to hug the shit out of junpei

Instro

milkham said:
man, i really loved this game and reading some of this thread earlier answered my questions, but one thing i still don't get is why
akane and aoi just drove off after getting out of building q instead of hanging around to hug the shit out of junpei

Have you read The Answers yet? Its mentioned in there.

Jintor

The music for this game is soooo goooood

If Aksys ever does a podcast I demand the intro music be culled from the main theme, the ending is so bombastic

milkham

Instro said:
Have you read The Answers yet? Its mentioned in there.

do you mean the answers from the writer? i'm going through this thread page by page haven't gotten to where theres a link to that yet

milkham said:
do you mean the answers from the writer? i'm going through this thread page by page haven't gotten to where theres a link to that yet

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/

Go there, and then on the bottom right of the screen is a link called "Answers"
MASSIVE SPOILERS for anybody who hasn't gotten all of the endings. Don't ruin it for yourselves!

milkham

thanks timetokill and sir ilpalazzo, that answered it but it also
made me sad that he said junpei spends the rest of his life chasing after her

Joe Molotov

GaimeGuy said:
haha yeah the elevator dialogue is hilarious, and it just goes on and on.

I like how June is like "It goes inside the man too" and Junpei's like "No it doesn't...wait, maybe it does?!?! OMG, I've been lied to all along!"

Deku

Banned
What's the official word from Aksys on the game's performance ? I know there was a reprint and shortages, it must be doing quite well for them?

overcast

Alright, this is another game you guys have hyped to hell and back. I generally agree with your opinions, just need to somebody to tell me a bit about this game if possible. Seems like a pain to dig through the thread. Spoilers abound.

jaxword

overcast said:
Alright, this is another game you guys have hyped to hell and back. I generally agree with your opinions, just need to somebody to tell me a bit about this game if possible. Seems like a pain to dig through the thread. Spoilers abound.

It's a visual novel type of game. You interact with characters with various dialogue trees, and you navigate through pre-rendered rooms, like in the Phoenix Wright investigation phases outside the courtroom. You have various puzzles to solve in each of these rooms. There are multiple endings that MUST be solved to get to the "real" one, which, without spoilers, actually incorporates the game's engine and storyline.

Story-wise, it is a group of panicking people stuck in a life-or-death situation. There is lots of gore and blood, but it is all offscreen and you don't see more than some blood splattered on the floor. The flavor text does the rest of the mood-setting.

Go get it!

overcast

jaxword said:
It's a visual novel type of game. You interact with characters with various dialogue trees, and you navigate through pre-rendered rooms, like in the Phoenix Wright investigation phases outside the courtroom. You have various puzzles to solve in each of these rooms. There are multiple endings that MUST be solved to get to the "real" one, which, without spoilers, actually incorporates the game's engine and storyline.

Story-wise, it is a group of panicking people stuck in a life-or-death situation. There is lots of gore and blood, but it is all offscreen and you don't see more than some blood splattered on the floor. The flavor text does the rest of the mood-setting.

Go get it!
Excellent description. Thanks a lot. One more question, it seems to be lengthy. But do you have a general time, with all the endings of course.

jaxword

overcast said:
Excellent description. Thanks a lot. One more question, it seems to be lengthy. But do you have a general time, with all the endings of course.

Hmm, that's a good question. Took me maybe 20 hours or less. You can skip dialogue you've seen before, so, in theory, you can breeze through to the other endings really fast. So I suppose the game proper takes under 10 hours for your first dry run and the endings depend on your speedreading.

overcast

jaxword said:
Hmm, that's a good question. Took me maybe 20 hours or less. You can skip dialogue you've seen before, so, in theory, you can breeze through to the other endings really fast. So I suppose the game proper takes about 10 hours for your first dry run and the endings depend on your speedreading.
Good enough for me. Thanks. Won't be able to get this right now as I don't have a ds. But I will purchase it when I get a 3ds.

so1337

God! Got the ending where
Junpei gets stabbed after discovering Lotus' corpse
. That's got to be the absolute worst ending, right? It damn well better be.

So I'm a bit unclear about what I should do on subsequent playthroughs. Do endings depend on choices other than those about which door you go through? Like when
the 9th man dies
and you have to decide who opens door number four. Or when June asks you about supernatural stuff.

so1337 said:

Eh eh eh.

Keep playing.

so1337 said:
So I'm a bit unclear about what I should do on subsequent playthroughs. Do endings depend on choices other than those about which door you go through? Like when
the 9th man dies
and you have to decide who opens door number four. Or when June asks you about supernatural stuff.

Since you asked :
endings are indeed (mostly) determined by which door combination you choose.

Instro

so1337 said:

the 9th man dies

Endings mostly depend on which doors you choose. There is one ending(or technically 2), that also requires the correct answers to the stories/questions asked by other characters. In those cases it becomes relatively obvious how you should answer certain questions once you've gotten all the other endings.

Just continue to seek a way out. :)

Belisarius

Neo Member
jaxword said:
What was with that "Pile 'o pillows" joke, anyways? Something lost in translation, or an awkward boob joke?

Probably just lost in translation. In Japanese, Lotus is just making a bad joke about how the word for "pitch dark" (makkura) is similar to the word for "pillow" (makura). Then she just repeats it slightly differently for what was translated as "pile 'o pillows". I'll admit that I kind of blew it there in terms of coming up with a good alternate joke, but in my defense I don't think her joke was supposed to very good either. :3 Incidentally, despite whatever personal appreciation I might have for breasts, it wasn't intended as a boob joke in either our translation or the Japanese.

Joe Molotov

I beated the game.

And all things considered, I'm pretty pleased with my earlier theory. :smugface

The ending was pretty good. I'm impressed that they managed to tie everything up so well without veering too far into a wackyland. I mean, yeah, you did have to buy into Akane and Junpei communicating through space and time and Santa being able to see alternate timelines, but that all ties into the game's main conceit about people and things being all connected to this morphogenic field that exists outside our realm of consciousness, so you knew that was going to come into play eventually.

I'll check out the Answers page when I get a chance. It looked really long, and I was tired of reading for a while. ;)

Amory

so1337 said:

the 9th man dies

God no. There's worse. I've gotten what I believe has to be the worst ending twice now, and it's really starting to creep me out to the point where I'm afraid of playing through again haha.

It was discouraging to get an ending that I've already seen when I made different room choices, especially when I've only seen 3 of the endings so far...

Joe Molotov

If you get too frustrated, there's a spoiler-free ending guide on GameFAQs. You can check it to find out what doors you need to do to get each ending.

jaxword

Belisarius said:
Probably just lost in translation. In Japanese, Lotus is just making a bad joke about how the word for "pitch dark" (makkura) is similar to the word for "pillow" (makura). Then she just repeats it slightly differently for what was translated as "pile 'o pillows". I'll admit that I kind of blew it there in terms of coming up with a good alternate joke, but in my defense I don't think her joke was supposed to very good either. :3 Incidentally, despite whatever personal appreciation I might have for breasts, it wasn't intended as a boob joke in either our translation or the Japanese.

Ah, thanks for clarifying!

AniHawk

Joe Molotov said:
If you get too frustrated, there's a spoiler-free ending guide on GameFAQs. You can check it to find out what doors you need to do to get each ending.

also be sure to check out the [spoilers]scooby doo ending[/spoilers]

Joe Molotov

AniHawk said:
you mean june?

Ah yeah, you're right. I was playing it late at night, for some reason I thought it was the other person that was talking during that part of the discussion. Now it makes more sense. :)

GaimeGuy

I love how after you beat the game (completely), you realize
Wait... Santa and June are filthy fucking rich thanks to being able to play the stock market however they want.... and this pure girl is really a time/space-travelling genius with quite the mean streak and a sadistic side in addition to that purity. omgwtf

AniHawk

Joe Molotov said:
Ah yeah, you're right. I was playing it late at night, for some reason I thought it was the other person that was talking during that part of the discussion. Now it makes more sense. :)

now,
think back to the incinerator puzzle. think about what they made you (not junpei, but you, the player) do. now sit back for a few moments while your mind is blown.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
GaimeGuy said:
I love how after you beat the game (completely), you realize
Wait... Santa and June are filthy fucking rich thanks to being able to play the stock market however they want.... and this pure girl is really a time/space-travelling genius with quite the mean streak and a sadistic side in addition to that purity. omgwtf
The purity bit is all an act. She's a bad, dirty girl and she knows it, hence the running away.

GaimeGuy

XiaNaphryz said:
The purity bit is all an act. She's a bad, dirty girl and she knows it, hence the running away.
Well,
I don't think it's COMPLETELY an act, but let's just say there's more to her than meets the eyes, and I wouldn't want to get on her bad side. o_O

Although you can kind of tell she has those claws based on the way she acts during various confrontations and arguments with others, like when deciding who to leave behind in the big hospital room.

Put it this way: Every rose has its thorns. Akane willed herself into getting Junpei to, in 9 years, save her from her death in the present, while conspiring to turn her murderers against each other. Of course, since Junpei saves her, they're not her murderers anymore, but they still tried to kill her.

Granted, she risked her brother, her best friend/romantic interest, and four other individuals she knew to save herself...

Meh.

I want to see her and Junpei live happily ever after :(

Belisarius

Neo Member
Hey guys, I just wanted to mention that if any of you were reading this thread and thinking about whether or not you wanted to pick up 999, now would be a great time, as we're running a Japan benefit sale through the 24th. 999 isn't on sale, but 100% of what you spend in our store on anything—including 999—will be donated to charity to help earthquake/tsunami relief efforts in Japan.

Top Bottom