• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few new Duke Nukem Forever tidbits

5 years ago in a PC Gamer, they listed 10 PC games that would change gaming forever. One game was New Legends, which switched to a mainly Xbox production, and bombed. A second game also switched, but it was fucking awesome:Halo. The main feature, however, was about Duke Nukem Forever, and how it ran on an expanded Quake (?) engine, and how it would be the best FPS ever. It looked awesome for it's time (And it could probably hold it's ground today had it been released). They likened the graphics to a better Shenmue, and showcased their 'dazzling' LoD.

In that same PC Gamer, Will Wright's "The Sims" was but a small blurb of news with a screenshot, not even in the same article.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They likened the graphics to a better Shenmue, and showcased their 'dazzling' LoD.

No, they're wrong.

Those visuals would be what we saw in 2001 at E3. The trailer was awesome, but the level of detail was still very "2001 PC", if you know what I mean. It was running on the Unreal engine by that time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Duke Nukem Forever (Quake engine)

dnf0224.jpg

Duke Nukem Forever (Unreal engine)

1368_full.jpg

It looked really neat IMHO

dnfdam2_big.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So what engine are they up to now?

FoneBone

tedtropy said:
ted_guides2.jpg

This game is gonna rock, yo.
They had another cover on it a few years later. I remember thinking that the game was actually back on track at that point... how foolish of me.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Suikoguy said:
So what engine are they up to now?
A highly modified Unreal engine. According to 3D Realms it only retains certain parts like network code, every other thing has been rewritten to include shaders and all that jazz.

Ponn

Banned
They were insane not to release that Unreal engine version. From what I read it was almost done and at the time it would have been released it would have been phenominal and sold a buttload. And they still would have had this time to work on another one but without everyone laughing at them.

goodcow

Ponn01 said:
They were insane not to release that Unreal engine version. From what I read it was almost done and at the time it would have been released it would have been phenominal and sold a buttload. And they still would have had this time to work on another one but without everyone laughing at them.

Well obviously they didn't feel strongly enough about it, which is why even though this whole project is a joke, we should still remain strangely confident in them. Why would they keep pouring millions into this thing if they weren't highly dedicated and optimistic?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Man if they can just hold out another year or so they could actually release the game A DECADE AFTER ANNOUNCING IT!

Ponn

Banned
goodcow said:
Well obviously they didn't feel strongly enough about it, which is why even though this whole project is a joke, we should still remain strangely confident in them. Why would they keep pouring millions into this thing if they weren't highly dedicated and optimistic?

Delusional? Arrogant? Romero will make you his bitch?

Top Bottom