• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duki

Banned
i dont get the feeling that grrm dislikes daario at all tho

its only readers who have a problem with it, theyre probably the ones projecting tbh

Veelk

Banned
i dont get the feeling that grrm dislikes daario at all tho

its only readers who have a problem with it, theyre probably the ones projecting tbh

The only real problem I have with him is his looks. I can get that Dany would be attracted to his personality, even if I personally disapprove of it, but her describing how handsome he is perplexes me. Everytime I imagine him with his blue hair and 3 forked beard, he looks more comical than anything else.

I think he's dumb because GRRM never got him to do anything important outside of making Dany squeal. Drogo was alpha as Teddy Roosevelt, Rambo, Conan the Barbarian and Santa Claus combined, and everyone thought he was awesome.

Daario, until he proves otherwise, is basically Edward Cullen dressed as a pirate.

Do you really think that his death will have no impact with Dany's relations to Dorne when she finally comes to westeros?

That doesn't justify giving him 4 POV chapters. He would have worked fine as just another dude, there was no reason to see inside his head. I think his chapters are a bit of a relic from when Quentyn had a larger role in solving the Merenese knot. With the way things turn out in the end, all but one of his chapters were completely superfluous.

I think he's dumb because GRRM never got him to do anything important outside of making Dany squeal. Drogo was alpha as Teddy Roosevelt, Rambo, Conan the Barbarian and Santa Claus combined, and everyone thought he was awesome.

Daario, until he proves otherwise, is basically Edward Cullen dressed as a pirate.
A lot of the supporting characters in Dany's chapters really suffer from being poorly developed, particularly the ones from Essos. It's not just Daario, many of them are little more than exotic easterner archetypes and have real vague or bland characterizations.

After the Red Wedding, I literally had to put the book down for a few minutes to grasp what I had just read. What was really cold-blooded was Walder Frey talking about "I know what's it's like to be young and impetuous" or something to that effect and the whole shit with Grey Wind's head eventhough though Dany saw a vision of him like that earlier. That was just uncalled for. That scene in the show is definitely going be as big or bigger than Ned's death.

I truly hate the Freys and Boltons and hope they get it bad.

There is no amount of getting it that would make me feel better about how shitty and evil sewing a 15ish year old boy's wolf's head on his headless body after you brutally murder him and his mother.

Limedust

My only problem with AFFC and ADWD is how fast the story arcs of some characters progressed, while others moved at a snails pace. That's really it for me, as I don't particularly hate reading about any character in particular.

Favorite characters from ADWD were Theon, Davos, Lord Wyman Manderly, and Skahaz mo Kandaq (The Shavepate).

A lot of Daario hate in this thread, but his advice on what to do in Meereen was spot on, and Dany continually ignored him. I'm guessing he will turn up dead since she sent him to Yunkai.

That doesn't justify giving him 4 POV chapters. He would have worked fine as just another dude, there was no reason to see inside his head. I think his chapters are a bit of a relic from when Quentyn had a larger role in solving the Merenese knot. With the way things turn out in the end, all but one of his chapters were completely superfluous.

A lot of the supporting characters in Dany's chapters really suffer from being poorly developed, particularly the ones from Essos. It's not just Daario, many of them are little more than exotic easterner archetypes and have real vague or bland characterizations.

Except for Strong Belwas, what a badass.

Except for Strong Belwas, what a badass.
He is, one cricket/grasshopper was suppose to kill a person and he ate a whole bowl of them and didn't die. Then claimed some people had to die because of it even though he could barely walk.

Plus his whole fight with that city champion on the horse was funny. He didn't even take it seriously.

Gregorn

I finished A feast for Crows last night and the postman dropped off A Dance with Dragons a couple of hours ago. If I had to wait 6 years for the next book, I would have hated feast but knowing I could read 'part 2' right away left me feeling excited more than disappointed.

I can't wait to feel the exact opposite after finishing this.

I finished A feast for Crows last night and the postman dropped off A Dance with Dragons a couple of hours ago. If I had to wait 6 years for the next book, I would have hated feast but knowing I could read 'part 2' right away left me feeling excited more than disappointed.

I can't wait to feel the exact opposite after finishing this.

Someone really ought to do up a chapter reading list from both AFfC and ADwD that intercuts them together as a cohesive whole. It would mean that the trudge at the beginning of both would only happen once and you'd double the awesome at the end. I'd call it A Feast for Dragons and the image on the cover would be a picture of a little girl.

He is, one cricket/grasshopper was suppose to kill a person and he ate a whole bowl of them and didn't die. Then claimed some people had to die because of it even though he could barely walk.

Plus his whole fight with that city champion on the horse was funny. He didn't even take it seriously.

what a great scene. "cook me some liver, killing makes me hungry" or whatever he said. he just toyed with that guy then ruined his world.

Someone really ought to do up a chapter reading list from both AFfC and ADwD that intercuts them together as a cohesive whole. It would mean that the trudge at the beginning of both would only happen once and you'd double the awesome at the end. I'd call it A Feast for Dragons and the image on the cover would be a picture of a little girl.

I've been asking for this, too. I wish GRRM would just put out a chapter list for it.

ZeroRay

Speaking of Dany and Essos, I don't think she'll get to Westeros by TWOW.

Quaithe said:
"To go north, you must go south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

I think "To go go forward you must go back" is Dany having to visit Valyria and "go east" is obviously Asshai.

It seems GRRM is setting up for Dany not to take the Iron Throne but to show up late in ADOS and fight/sacrifice herself against the Others.

Pollux

A Clash of Kings, p. 530.

A Clash of Kings, p. 660.

And A Dance With Dragons, p. 153.

Quote:
"Soon comes the pale male, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffon, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them."
Interesting that it doesn't mention wolf....

pale male...not sure who that could be it's late so thats a mulligan.

Kraken is obvious, Victarion

Dark Flame - the maestar going to Dany

Lion - Lannister

Griffon - Connington?

Sun's son - Quintin

Mummer's Dragon - assumed to be Aegon

So trust none of them....but no mention of wolves....

Quote:
"Soon comes the pale male, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffon, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them."

pale male...not sure who that could be it's late so thats a mulligan.

I think the line was pale mare, not pale male. Which is a reference to the plague, I believe (they call it the gray mare don't they?)

I don't see what Dany could possibly hope to find in Valyria. Though it's obvious that the Doom was some huge volcanic event that may or may not have been caused the Valyrians themselves.

Could be that there is some magical mcguffin there that will help her.

From SomethingAwful's Bad Thread (where bluemax should go and just stay there forever and not come back):

-You are in Meereen

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go forward

-You cannot go that way

- Go Backward

-You find a khalasar

I had to Google "Edward Cullen." Hah!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Going through the audiobooks since I'm to lazy to re-read them again. Fun to go back and see how characters have gone from unforgivable assholes to people you cheer for. Fun fun.

So 4 more months for Season 2 on HBO........ and 2 more presidents before the next book..

Pollux

Going through the audiobooks since I'm to lazy to re-read them again. Fun to go back and see how characters have gone from unforgivable assholes to people you cheer for. Fun fun.

So 4 more months for Season 2 on HBO........ and 2 more presidents before the next book..

Please don't remind me. I hope it's out by 2014. I'm UNFATHOMABLY optimistic. :(

Did anyone ever see this article? http://blastr.com/2011/04/game-of-thrones-author-wa.php

Or this one? http://woofclan.blogspot.com/2011/04/george-rr-martin-hated-bsgs-finale-even.html

It really comforts me to read these and know that Martin has a plan for everything he writes.

i hadnt seen this, but thanks. i havent seen any episodes of lost or battlestar galactica (or babylon 5 for that matter) but you are right that it is encouraging he values how things end so highly. whether he can follow through on that promise remains to be seen, but really there are many resolutions that would probably be satisfactory. the real risk is leaving too much unresolved.

AngryMoth

Yeah, so I just read the chapter in ADWD which ends with Tyrion apparently drowning. WTF. When I first read it I assumed he will pop up later having been saved, but the whole water filling his lungs thing makes it seem like he's pretty definitively dead. How can this be possible. I mean jesus christ, you think this would be getting easier by now but it doesn't. He, along with the young starks where the only ones I assumed he wouldn't kill. Can someone please just tell me if he's really dead? Feels like I've been punched in the gut.

On an unrelated note, the same chapter reveals that Young Griff is actually Aegon Targaryen which is pretty interesting given the "dragon has 3 heads' thing (and also it means Daenerys isn't even the true heir). Can't think who the 3rd head would be though.

Yeah, so I just read the chapter in ADWD which ends with Tyrion apparently drowning. WTF. When I first read it I assumed he will pop up later having been saved, but the whole water filling his lungs thing makes it seem like he's pretty definitively dead. How can this be possible. I mean jesus christ, you think this would be getting easier by now but it doesn't. He, along with the young starks where the only ones I assumed he wouldn't kill. Can someone please just tell me if he's really dead? Feels like I've been punched in the gut.

On an unrelated note, the same chapter reveals that Young Griff is actually Aegon Targaryen which is pretty interesting given the "dragon has 3 heads' thing (and also it means Daenerys isn't even the true heir). Can't think who the 3rd head would be though.

begone lest ye be spoiled

bengraven

Having read all five books and the novellas twice, at least, each, I would love to spend some time in this thread as I did in the beginning.

But my God, I just can't stay in this world or I'll start wanting Winds and I may go mad.

Having read all five books and the novellas twice, at least, each, I would love to spend some time in this thread as I did in the beginning.

But my God, I just can't stay in this world or I'll start wanting Winds and I may go mad.

Same way here really. I'm trying to pretend this series doesn't exist so my mind can forget about it, and then 8 years from now when the next book is out I can be all "already???"

gate777

Same way here really. I'm trying to pretend this series doesn't exist so my mind can forget about it, and then 8 years from now when the next book is out I can be all "already???"

A temporary solution is to do a re-read/listen/watch. Start with books 1 through 5 reading only 1 per month. Then move onto the audio books going through 1 book per 2 months. Then onto the HBO season 1 (burn through them as you see fit).

All of the above is VOID during spring/summer months and only applies to fall/winter.

Hopefully we don't have to wait as long for book 6 as we did for 5. Hopefully....

bengraven

Right. In four or five years I'll be ready for a re-reading and hopefully the book is nearly out by then.

AngryMoth

Well now I feel like a bit of an idiot for thinking Tyrion was really dead. Just finished up this evening. I guess I'm fairly lttp so I'm looking forward to reading through this thread.

I am absolutely distraught that Jon died. I really didn't see it coming. I was ready to complain that despite him getting the most chapters (i think) when nothing really happened on the wall aside from him winning the wildlings to his cause. I assumed it was all leading to a big battle with the Others that would unite the too sides together. Couldn't believe it when it happened.

ASOS is definitely the strongest in the series imo, and I think I'd put AFFC and ADWD at about level pegging. My big problem with Dance, is that it drags pretty badly in the middle, and spends most of the time building up to a battle outside Mireen, and then ends before it happens! Also I have to say that from start to finish, Daenerys chapters were a huge let down.

I can't think of another point in the series where so many threads are reaching a climax. It certainly leaves things poised for an explosive beginning to The Winds of Winter. Thinking about it, its going to be completely insane:
- The nights watch is fucked as I assume the wildlings will go mental at them for killing Jon.
- Tyrion and Barriston are about to be involved in a huge battle.
- Cersei and Margery are about to be tried.
- Brienne is about to try kill Jamie (but surely not).
- Sansa is soon to marry and be unveiled to rally the northern bannermen.
- Davos is surely going to turn up at some point with Rickon Stark
- And WTF happened with Stannis? Dead by the sound of it, but Theon, faux Arya and Asha on the run.
- The Martells will presumably join Aegon's rebellion (after some brooding no doubt).
- Oh yeah, and the one guy who may have been able to stop shit hitting the fan in King's Landing just got murdered.

Fuck. I can't believe it ended without resolution to at least a few of these. I would have felt satisfied if the battle for Mireen had happened. Felt like it ended about three chapters too early. Its going to be a long wait...

AngryMoth

Well he did get stabbed at least 4 times. I guess it isn't beyond Melisandre's powers to heal him given the president set by Thoros of Myr.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I got both my sisters and my father to start reading the novels. I can't wait till they get to the red wedding. I expect some angry and hysterical emails/phone calls.

Azrael

Quote:

Dark Flame - the maestar going to Dany

Linked as it is with the kraken, the dark flame is probably Moqorro.

Azrael

Well he did get stabbed at least 4 times. I guess it isn't beyond Melisandre's powers to heal him given the president set by Thoros of Myr.

Jon's spirit presumably lives on in Ghost in the same manner Varamyr "survived" the Prologue. I'm hoping Ghost shows up at Winterfell in TWoW, is hunted by Ramsay and his bitches, defeats and forces the hounds to submit, and then his new pack finally tear that fucker to pieces.

apana

What I think will happen is that Jon's body will be frozen using a spell and his mind transferred to Ghost. He somehow will manage to get back in his body by the middle or end of the sixth book. Maybe Melisandre has a spell that can do that, though most of her power so far seems to be with shadow babies and fire. Also possible is that since the Wall is built using magic it may contain some magical spells that were set into motion once Jon was betrayed by his comrades.

I'm kind of bummed any revival that happens will be heavily steeped in magic, but perhaps it's time to stop complaining about that: the series has taken quite a turn towards magic, there's no going back. I like how it gradually got to this point, I like the idea of magic having to slowly be reborn into this world etc...but still it's a bit disappointing or something, dunno.

apana

It's not that there isn't cool and powerful magic in the series, it is just rare. Also I think he tries to make "magic" a bit real in the sense that it is always a little rough, imprecise, and limited. No one is like Gandalf or Dumbledore with skillful sorcery, at least not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom