• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
untitled-3sad.gif

Didn't they have wights riding in on dead horses and bears?

Yeah, I just remember the Other that Sam kills later as they're escaping is supposed to be riding a dead Wight horse.

And then the actual fight at the Fist was detailed through flashbacks in Sam's chapter once it had already happened.

But I want to see the Wight Bears!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Finally finished reading all the books, might post some detailed impressions later, but one thing was left a bit unclear to me:

Did Griff/Connington get greyscale saving Tyrion, or did he already have it? At the boat when he takes his gloves off I thought he'd had it for a while, but later he thinks he never should have saved Tyrion, making it seem like he just got it. He obviously hides it, but wouldn't the people on the boat have noticed that right after shoving his hands into those waters he starts wearing gloves all the time? You'd think Haldon or Lemore would have picked up on that.

Oh, and Stannis lives, god damnit.

CassSept

Finally finished reading all the books, might post some detailed impressions later, but one thing was left a bit unclear to me:

Did Griff/Connington get greyscale saving Tyrion, or did he already have it? At the boat when he takes his gloves off I thought he'd had it for a while, but later he thinks he never should have saved Tyrion, making it seem like he just got it. He obviously hides it, but wouldn't the people on the boat have noticed that right after shoving his hands into those waters he starts wearing gloves all the time? You'd think Haldon or Lemore would have picked up on that.
Jon Connigton got the greyscale most likely from saving Tyrion, yes. And by most likely I mean pretty much 99.99% as far as I know. About the gloves, how do you know he started wearing them only after the incident? He might have been wearing them all along for all we know. Unless I am missing some crucial passage from the book here.
These people also did The Bear and the Maiden Fair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6VMSYIXCCY&feature=channel&list=UL

I can't decide which one I enjoy more.
I've always imagined The Bear and the Maiden Fair completely, especially the intonation. It seemed completely different from the way it was written. Then again, I Know Nothing.

apana

Jon Connigton got the greyscale most likely from saving Tyrion, yes. And by most likely I mean pretty much 99.99% as far as I know. About the gloves, how do you know he started wearing them only after the incident? He might have been wearing them all along for all we know. Unless I am missing some crucial passage from the book here.

I've always imagined The Bear and the Maiden Fair completely, especially the intonation. It seemed completely different from the way it was written. Then again, I Know Nothing.

Yeah I don't think it is an accurate representation of what George was going for but I enjoy it regardless. I think it works in a medieval/royal setting. I think some of these songs would be sung very differently depending on where you are in Westeros. I would imagine Northerners don't have such a colorful take on it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, I thought Connington had the greyscale before jumping in the water
I think there's a line in the last Connington chapter that curses jumping in the river after Tyrion as he nurses his hand.

ZeroRay

Theory I heard in the youtube comments section of all places:

Dany hears the Rains of Castamere being played in the HotU instead of seeing the wolf's head.

Then when the show viewers hear it again next season, they'll be like wait a minute...didn't Dany hear this...

Theory I heard in the youtube comments section of all places:

Dany hears the Rains of Castamere being played in the HotU instead of seeing the wolf's head.

Then when the show viewers hear it again next season, they'll be like wait a minute...didn't Dany hear this...

That's a good theory. I could see that happening.

That would actually be a nice way to foreshadow it without it being absurdly obvious. I feel if you saw the vision in the TV show, being the visual medium, it would be so obvious exactly what it was.

bengraven

I think the somber tone of Rains means that it will play at the end of the finale.

I think they purposely made it such that it's a kind of prelude to season 3. A hint to the fans as well that the Wedding is Coming.

apana

A good way to end the season would be to have Sam walking around on his own. He hears the three horn blasts and looks around. When he turns his head back standing in front of him is a freaky wight. Cue scary music and the end.

bengraven

A good way to end the season would be to have Sam walking around on his own. He hears the three horn blasts and looks around. When he turns his head back standing in front of him is a freaky wight. Cue scary music and the end.

Probably because they don't really have the budget for one last battle. ha

But yeah, I am assuming the last part of season 2 will be the beginning of the Fist of the First Men battle.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

I thought about that, but I just thought it was a bit too convenient that the one dude who gets greyscale just *never* happens to take his gloves off in public anyway. And you would think Lemore or Haldon would have wanted to inspect him after, like they did with Tyrion. Also, when Connington thought he never should have saved him when washing his hands with wine, his hands could have just reminded him of Tyrion and how he slipped away.

Either way, so called Aegon is totally going to get it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
mother of god

if nothing else, seeing that fucking red wedding with this shit on will be worth every other garbage we have to shift through to get there

What are the Vegas odds that people actually enjoy it and don't think it's butchered?

Gregorn

I want Sam to be sleeping with a wilding creeping up on him with a knife, then 2 horn blasts wake him up and he pisses himself. Then a 3rd horn blasts, the wildling pisses himself and it cuts to a shot panning out to slowly reveal the fist surrounded by CGI zombies and maybe even a few zombie bears with fires quickly starting everywhere.

They won't have enough time to tell that story about the night watch wanting to rebel or whatever, so they can easily just replace that guy with a wildling.

I want Sam to be sleeping with a wilding creeping up on him with a knife, then 2 horn blasts wake him up and he pisses himself. Then a 3rd horn blasts, the wildling pisses himself and it cuts to a shot panning out to slowly reveal the fist surrounded by CGI zombies and maybe even a few zombie bears with fires quickly starting everywhere.

They won't have enough time to tell that story about the night watch wanting to rebel or whatever, so they can easily just replace that guy with a wildling.

Yeah my ideal final scene I think would be the three blasts, some oh shit reactions from Sam and others on the Fist, and then pull back to a wide shot of the Fist with walkers running up the Fist to attack.

bengraven

I want the Red Wedding directed by Nick Cave now, since the Rains is very Cave-ish and the Proposition did sadness so well.

Veelk

Banned
B. It is the perfect example of why Dany is more Aerys than Rhaegar no matter how much Jorah/Barristan wish otherwise. She is a fool who will probably be as dumb/insane as Aerys-Cersei when she is 30+

1. How is it her fault that Quentyn snuck into the dungeons and got his ass burned in any rational way?

2. Aerys and Cersei cared nothing for their people and were unable to perceive their flaws as rulers, always blaming someone else. I agree insofar that Dany is not a competent ruler, but she is neither insane nor that self centered.

apana

Anyone else think that France with all its medieval villages and castles would be a better place than Ireland to film for the Riverlands portions of season 3 and 4 ? They could actually show Arya having a journey for once.

AngryMoth

I think if Aegon is real the Ashara Dayne thing could makes sense, after all Arthur was Rhaegar's closest friend so she's someone that would be trusted with his protection. I'd extend that to along as she thinks he's real; JonCon certainly does. It works from a timeline perspective anyway, and I always felt her death was a tad mysterious. There was some obscure yet convincing connection between the name Lemore and Ashara I heard somewhere. I hope it isnt true though, or at least its never confirmed, people need to stay dead more often in this series.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
If Lemore was Ashara it would make a pretty interesting situation regarding Barristan Selmy. If he found out that Aegon was still alive, who has better claim than Dany, and that his septa was the woman he loves his, he might have some trouble remaining loyal to her. He might even become the one who betrays for blood and/or love (I never felt like Mirri betrayed Dany).

But I remember that Ashara has purple/violet eyes, or something like that. I would think Tyrion had made a note of that if Lemore had eyes like that.

None of it will of course matter when Patchface sits the Iron Throne.

bengraven

If Lemore was Ashara it would make a pretty interesting situation regarding Barristan Selmy. If he found out that Aegon was still alive, who has better claim than Dany, and that his septa was the woman he loves his, he might have some trouble remaining loyal to her. He might even become the one who betrays for blood and/or love (I never felt like Mirri betrayed Dany).

But I remember that Ashara has purple/violet eyes, or something like that. I would think Tyrion had made a note of that if Lemore had eyes like that.

None of it will of course matter when Patchface sits the Iron Throne.

I'm sure her eyes are "so purple" that they look black or brown from a distance.

Mordeccai

Can anybody clarify something for me real quick? Not sure if the book and the show are blending in my head.

Did Cersei and Robert have a son that was a stillborn or that died early on? I know in the show Cersei talks to Cat about it, but I thought it was made up for the show. A few minutes ago, my roommate who is reading the novels asked me to clarify if Robert and Cersei had a trueborn kid that died. I honestly couldn't remember if that was actually a part of the novels or what.

Veelk

Banned
Can anybody clarify something for me real quick? Not sure if the book and the show are blending in my head.

Did Cersei and Robert have a son that was a stillborn or that died early on? I know in the show Cersei talks to Cat about it, but I thought it was made up for the show. A few minutes ago, my roommate who is reading the novels asked me to clarify if Robert and Cersei had a trueborn kid that died. I honestly couldn't remember if that was actually a part of the novels or what.

As far as the book go, no, that was never mentioned.

Blastoise

Banned
Just finished the series (didn't read A Game Of Thrones). My favorite book was A Storm Of Swords, and least favorite/hardest to get through A Feast For Crows.

Now I need a got damn replacement. I'm having serious withdrawals here.

When Ned confronts Cersei in the godswood she says that Robert once got her pregnant but Jaime found a woman to take care of it.

Veelk

Banned
Just finished the series (didn't read A Game Of Thrones). My favorite book was A Storm Of Swords, and least favorite/hardest to get through A Feast For Crows.

Now I need a got damn replacement. I'm having serious withdrawals here.

Get the Dunk and Egg series.

I'm rereading the 3rd one now. It says that there were 5 dragon eggs, and 2 of them seem to be described as Viserion and Rhaegal. Assuming they are them and Drogon is among them, what happened to the other 2? Could they have hatched?

ZeroRay

Get the Dunk and Egg series.

I'm rereading the 3rd one now. It says that there were 5 dragon eggs, and 2 of them seem to be described as Viserion and Rhaegal. Assuming they are them and Drogon is among them, what happened to the other 2? Could they have hatched?

I think Euron gave one to the Faceless Men in exchange for Balon's assassination.

Euron seems to be one of the few characters who really knows what's really going on. Can't wait to see how the Ironborn carve out the Reach. I think old man Hightower also has some secret knowledge up his sleeve.

Where can you get these? Going through the same withdrawal.

Sadly, they aren't all in one collection yet. Just look for The Hedge Knight (1st story), The Sworn Sword (2nd story) and The Mystery Knight (3rd one).

The Hedge Knight is in this collection, The Sworn Sword here and The Mystery Knight here.

I think GRRM has the fourth Dunk and Egg story coming soon too in some other collection and after that once they have 4 thats enough to publish them all together in one book.

Tuck

Done "A Dance With Dragons."

That Epilogue... man... I knew what happened before I read it, but I was really sad to actually read through it. Ser Kevan was one of my favourite characters - Yeah, he was a side character, and didn't get much screen time. But I thought he was a great character.

I loved the Ser Barristan Chapters in this book. A great perspective, but I felt as though he was a bit too slow to act, because of his honor and confusion over his duty. I guess thats just part of his character.

Jon kind of pissed me off. I understood what he was doing, and agree with it - he didn't want the wildlings to become wights. But he should have made better attempts to try to make Bowen and the rest understand. Maybe they wouldn't have, but I felt like he sort of wrote them off. I also couldn't believe how dumb he was with Melisandre. For gods sake, half of her predictions came true - and the other half came true, just in a different than expected way. He should have listened to her. He was stubborn and foolish. And to march on that shoreline was a stupid idea. But to march on Ramsay? Thats just nuts. A part of me thinks his story is done. Another part of me wants to see Bowen Marsh hung on a noose, or burnt in one of Melisandre's flames.

I really loved the book. Its probably my second favourite in the series, behind ASOS. I can't wait for the next one - but I guess it is a long ways off.

So I guess now, the waiting begins.

Veelk

Banned
I also couldn't believe how dumb he was with Melisandre. For gods sake, half of her predictions came true - and the other half came true, just in a different than expected way. He should have listened to her. He was stubborn and foolish.

Was he really?

We know all her predictions came true and we know he should heed her warnings because this is a fantasy book, and that's the way It Is.

But imagine if someone did this in real life. Even if their predictions came true technically, since they were inaccurate from what the fortune teller predicted, would you believe them?

People are generally hard to convince when they don't think something is possible.

Tuck

Was he really?

We know all her predictions came true and we know he should heed her warnings because this is a fantasy book, and that's the way It Is.

But imagine if someone did this in real life. Even if their predictions came true technically, since they were inaccurate from what the fortune teller predicted, would you believe them?

People are generally hard to convince when they don't think something is possible.

I can understand being hesitant, but after the first two came true, I would start paying attention. Plus, he knew she was powerful because he saw the trickery with Mance.

He sent out 9 rangers. She said 3 would die. And they did.

She said a girl was coming to him. She did. It wasn't Arya - but the rest of the prediction was right.

At this point, he should be listening. Even in the very last chapter, Melisandre tried to warn him - this time more eagerly, it would seem. But he would not listen.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I can understand being hesitant, but after the first two came true, I would start paying attention. Plus, he knew she was powerful because he saw the trickery with Mance.

He sent out 9 rangers. She said 3 would die. And they did.

She said a girl was coming to him. She did. It wasn't Arya - but the rest of the prediction was right.

At this point, he should be listening. Even in the very last chapter, Melisandre tried to warn him - this time more eagerly, it would seem. But he would not listen.
I think the "Yo, can I please burn that baby?"

Kinda put John off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom