• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Edd, fetch me a block.

Anybody want to list their favourite characters.

1. Jon Snow (Dead?)
2. Robb Stark (Dead)
3. Eddard Stark (Dead)/Arya

Daario's swords
Daario_Naharis.jpg

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Didn't the Child of the Forest say Coldhands was very old? Considering she's thousands of years old, "old" to her would probably reflect that time period. Benjen would have been dead for maybe 1-3 years, doesn't fit imo.

I think he's alive but I'm not sure how, or how it will be explained to readers. Bran and company would have died if they didn't find that cave, and many theories suggest Benjen ventured further than Bran did. Perhaps he also discovered Children of the Forest, and is learning from them before returning to the Wall; or perhaps he joined them and isn't being allowed to leave for some reason (maybe the Children aren't as they appear?).

I don't think he planted the dragon glass; imo it was planted long ago.

hundreds at most. she was born "in the time of the dragon", which would make her about 150-300 years old. also, nothing was said about how old coldhands is. the conversation went that bran or one of the others asked would the wights kill coldhands, and the answer was that they killed him a long time ago. while it's not certain who "they" are, i'd say that it's not exactly conclusive evidence that coldhands too has to be hundreds, or even thousands, of years old, since even though if you live to be 300 years old, even a few years is a long time to be a walking corpse.

i don't know is coldhands benjen or not, but i don't think that comment can be used to totally discredit the possibility.

TCRS

Banned
Man I can't wait for The World of Ice and Fire. I want to know everything about the Targaryens. They're so fascinating.

ZaCH3000

Coldhand's identity should be left ambiguous. Leave some room for lore in the story. Shoehorning Benjen into the story is a absolutely redundant to the story. Its fanfare that receives speculation because of how long it takes GRRM to write a novel. Those decisions offer instant gratification upon the first read because it validates fan speculation that you may or may not have participated in but in the end, fanfare dilutes an otherwise compelling story.

Do not confuse the above comments as a suggestion that all fan theories are equal because they aren't. Evidence is evidence. Some theories have stronger evidence.

Coldhand's is an interesting theory because of its plausibility that is mostly speculative without strong supporting evidence. It connects dots because closure for Benjen's disappearance is sensible and it makes sense that a Stark would help a Stark, and hey! He randomly appears wearing a black cloak. There isn't any hard evidence however to seriously consider this theory like the Hersey and R + L = J.

TCRS

Banned
Fuck me. I've just spent the last 2.5 h reading A Wiki of Ice and Fire. I just love the world and lore that GRRM has built. So captivating.

One thing though: How will we ever find out if the R+L=J theory is true? Apparently only Ned knew of Jon's origin. He may have told Robert and Jon Arryn but all are dead.

ZaCH3000

Fuck me. I've just spent the last 2.5 h reading A Wiki of Ice and Fire. I just love the world and lore that GRRM has built. So captivating.

One thing though: How will we ever find out if the R+L=J theory is true? Apparently only Ned knew of Jon's origin. He may have told Robert and Jon Arryn but all are dead.

That's a great question. The best place to start is in the sticky thread on the general forum of A Forum of Ice and Fire.

Its been awhile since I've read up on the theory but last time I checked the two most plausible scenarios were Howland Reed providing Jon with his resolution, or Bran revealing to readers through his Weirwood abilities of the events that took place at the Tower of Joy (Jon will never learn of his mothers identity in this case).

There are probably many others as well. Seriously, check out that thread. Its massive but worth the read if your into the world enough to spend 2.5h reading ASoIaF wikis.

Howland Reed was at the tower of joy too

edit: beaten

Aiii

So not worth it
That's a great question. The best place to start is in the sticky thread on the general forum of A Forum of Ice and Fire.

Its been awhile since I've read up on the theory but last time I checked the two most plausible scenarios were Howland Reed providing Jon with his resolution, or Bran revealing to readers through his Weirwood abilities of the events that took place at the Tower of Joy (Jon will never learn of his mothers identity in this case).

There are probably many others as well. Seriously, check out that thread. Its massive but worth the read if your into the world enough to spend 2.5h reading ASoIaF wikis.

Who knows how it will be resolved. I'm sure it will be, maybe Jon will see it in a vision. Who knows what kind of powers he could get after being ressurected.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Coldhand's identity should be left ambiguous. Leave some room for lore in the story. Shoehorning Benjen into the story is a absolutely redundant to the story. Its fanfare that receives speculation because of how long it takes GRRM to write a novel. Those decisions offer instant gratification upon the first read because it validates fan speculation that you may or may not have participated in but in the end, fanfare dilutes an otherwise compelling story.

Do not confuse the above comments as a suggestion that all fan theories are equal because they aren't. Evidence is evidence. Some theories have stronger evidence.

Coldhand's is an interesting theory because of its plausibility that is mostly speculative without strong supporting evidence. It connects dots because closure for Benjen's disappearance is sensible and it makes sense that a Stark would help a Stark, and hey! He randomly appears wearing a black cloak. There isn't any hard evidence however to seriously consider this theory like the Hersey and R + L = J.

what is Hersey?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Didn't the Child of the Forest say Coldhands was very old? Considering she's thousands of years old, "old" to her would probably reflect that time period. Benjen would have been dead for maybe 1-3 years, doesn't fit imo.

I think he's alive but I'm not sure how, or how it will be explained to readers. Bran and company would have died if they didn't find that cave, and many theories suggest Benjen ventured further than Bran did. Perhaps he also discovered Children of the Forest, and is learning from them before returning to the Wall; or perhaps he joined them and isn't being allowed to leave for some reason (maybe the Children aren't as they appear?).

I don't think he planted the dragon glass; imo it was planted long ago.

The Three Eyed Crow specifically mentioned that Cold Hands was like that "For a long time", which for how long Three Eyes has lived, a year or 2 wouldn't be much time at all.

Edd, fetch me a block.

Anybody want to list their favourite characters.

1. Jon Snow (Dead?)
2. Robb Stark (Dead)
3. Eddard Stark (Dead)/Arya

1. Eddard Stark
2. Robb Stark
3. Jon Snow

When Eddard died I moved onto Robb...then onto Jon. Let's just say now, I'm not picking any other characters as my favorite.

Moff

Tywin was the best, it's not a coincidence that the series fell off after his death. Every scene he was in and every character he interacted with was better off for it.

I agree, of all the deaths in the series, Tywins bothered me the most. when it happened as well as later when I thought about it.

ZaCH3000

what is Hersey?

Hersey is an insanely long thread on the ASoIaF forums (ADWD section) that covers the history of the North, the Wall and the origin of The Others. It's the next best thread behind R + L = J. Very interesting read. Even if some of the theories that have spawned from that discussion are false, it is still one of the most informative threads on the entire internet. I'm convinced that Stannis is
the Night's King (the King of the Wall who was actually a resurrected undead with magical powers.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hersey is an insanely long thread on the ASoIaF forums (ADWD section) that covers the history of the North, the Wall and the origin of The Others. It's the next best thread behind R + L = J. Very interesting read. Even if some of the theories that have spawned from that discussion are false, it is still one of the most informative threads on the entire internet. I'm convinced that Stannis is
the Night's King (the King of the Wall who was actually a resurrected undead with magical powers.

Interesting. Could you explain further why you believe this?

John Dunbar

correct about everything

oh, you mean heresy. i scanned through that stuff once, and just seemed like a giant exercise in reading too much into things.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

@ that spoiler.

LOL WUT.

Shoehorning Benjen into the story is a absolutely redundant to the story. Its fanfare that receives speculation because of how long it takes GRRM to write a novel.

Nope. Speculation about Benjen's fate and even Coldhands has been happening before GRRM's writing problems even began. Overanalyzation was happening even before ASOS was released. I remember the Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory. I don't care about this either way, but Benjen being Coldhands isn't any more farfetched than Aegon reappearing or a bunch of the things that ended up happening in ADWD.
oh, you mean heresy. i scanned through that stuff once, and just seemed like a giant exercise in reading too much into things.
At first I thought he was talking about the chocolate.

ZaCH3000

Interesting. Could you explain further why you believe this?

@ that spoiler.

LOL WUT.

I spoiler tagged it just in case. Actually, I don't know why I spoiler tagged it. This is the unmarked thread after all.

Maybe later when I'm not busy I can compile some information from the thread. It will be good for me to get caught up again because I haven't followed the ASoIaF forum or had any in depth discussion of ASoIaF for almost a year now.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
@ that spoiler.

LOL WUT.

i actually think that's a legit theory. if stannis' efforts to get the throne are frustrated again, the whole "breaks before bends" thing might imply something of the sort. the others seems to have some connection with humans (craster, the first night's king), so if stannis ends up back at the nightfort brooding how everyone's a traitor he might be enticed by the others. also, he did sleep with mel to get the throne, so might as well shack up with an other as well. i hear they're lovely.

Aiii

So not worth it
I spoiler tagged it just in case. Actually, I don't know why I spoiler tagged it. This is the unmarked thread after all.

Maybe later when I'm not busy I can compile some information from the thread. It will be good for me to get caught up again because I haven't followed the ASoIaF forum or had any in depth discussion of ASoIaF for almost a year now.

I would like that.

ZeroRay

Sam looks like he's about to go knee deep in some serious shit. Still probably gonna survive till the end,
and kill Jon after he becomes corrupted.

Idk if this has been discussed but did you guys see the Wun Wun = a Phil Simms tribute. QB Phil Simms wore #11 (One One) for the NY Giants (Martin's favorite team) and he crushes a knight with a blue star for his sigil (the Cowboys logo). Simms #11 is currently retired in NY. Seems very true because of that last Wun Wun scene. Maybe the name is a coincidence, should've thrown the boulder if he's Simms. What a weird thing for Martin to do.

I made this post in the other thread but it belongs here.

Salvadora

I've just started reading that thread and there is some interesting stuff:
We also have a very strong suspicion that far from being something built by men as a bulwark against the Others, the Wall may itself be the cause of the imbalance in the seasons. Thus far from being a disaster there is a feeling that its fall will be necessary to achieve a resolution of the conflict between Ice and Fire.

TCRS

Banned
Idk if this has been discussed but did you guys see the Wun Wun = a Phil Simms tribute. QB Phil Simms wore #11 (One One) for the NY Giants (Martin's favorite team) and he crushes a knight with a blue star for his sigil (the Cowboys logo). Simms #11 is currently retired in NY. Seems very true because of that last Wun Wun scene. Maybe the name is a coincidence, should've thrown the boulder if he's Simms. What a weird thing for Martin to do.

well given how much time he spends writing football related blog posts (whole walls of them), it wouldn't surprise me. Can't really say how plausible your theory is though since I know absolutelty nothing about american footlball.

Randdalf

It's to do with a bet GRRM had with a friend.
SAGAL: Isn't it true that there's a character in your latest book that's there because you lost a bet about a football game?

MARTIN: Yes, in a way, yes, it is. That's true.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Well what happened?

MARTIN: Well there's this guy named Patrick St. Denis, who runs a fantasy website called Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. And Pat is a big Dallas Cowboys fan. So we would have a standing bet for a number of years about whether the Dallas Cowboys or the New York Giants would do better.

And I won the bet the first two years. But finally, in the third year the Cowboys finished ahead of the Giants. And what I had to do if he won the bet was to kill him horribly within the books.

(LAUGHTER)

MARTIN: So I invented a character called Ser Patrek of King's Mountain and described his heraldry as looking somewhat like the heraldry of the Dallas Cowboys with the silver star on a white field. And then I had him ripped apart by a giant.

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/ser-patrek-of-kings-mountain.html

What are your thoughts on Heresy?

Helmholtz

Finally finished ADWD. I thought it was very good, but I can definitely see why some people were a bit turned off by it. I felt like the stories told were well done for the most part and very diverse in terms of locations and characters, which kept it fairly fresh throughout. The main weakness of the book however has to be that there are very few major payoffs. So many of the characters' stories end in cliffhangers and there aren't really any satisfying conclusions to be had. It's a bit of a bummer that we have to wait several years before we find out what happens to any of the characters. But I enjoyed the book overall.

aFIGurANT

I was just in the season 3 thread where people were discussing Coldhands and who should play him etc. when I remembered the main thing that I always wanted resolved: Where is Benjen and how will his disappearance factor into the frozen dead invasion or w/e is coming? And then I thought hey are we maybe supposed to assume that Coldhands is somehow Benjen reincarnate or something? As in he managed to find sorcery to keep him alive in the forest and was waiting for Bran?

I may be totally off or this has already been noted as an unlikely possibility but I thought maybe it was worth bringing up with the people here who read the thread more than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom