• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, GUYS, S1 telegraphs R+L=J in like the first twenty minutes. Robert's dialogue and the sheer venom in his voice when he talked about Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna and raping her "over and over" was so over the top, I knew something was up immediately. Then he talks about how he [Rhaegar] now has her and he [Robert] is still here, victorious but alone, with regret, like the truth is peeking out from underneath the cover story he's made himself believe for so long.

Throw in the fact that Danaerys is a very sympathetic character and we learn from Jorah that Rhaegar was a decent bloke who did a lot of charity work etc. the conclusion that the official story is either transparent propaganda or King Robert's own denial writes itself.

I came up with R+L by myself having only watched the first episode. It was maybe the end of S1 where I cottoned on to the =J part of the equation and was like "Ohhhhhh".

EDIT: I remember now it was my wife (then fiancé) who suggested to me the =J part when we were talking about how good it was. I was like WOAH. Then we went out and bought the books. When TWoW comes out, I'm going to have to go full blackout until she's done reading it because there's no way she's letting me read it first.

RedShift

Hey I just had a crazy idea. Could the cave Bran, Bloodraven etc. are chilling in be under the Fist of the First Men? We never get a good idea of where it is, except it's under a hill.

They spell it out in a DVD extra? lol wtf

What do they say?

Cat has one where she talks about Robert's Rebellion. Its basically

"Rhaegar abducted Lyanna, Brandon's sister, starting a war

Brandon died

I married Ned, we conceived Robb

He went away

He came back with a bastard son BUT I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE'D FATHER A BASTARD *WINK* *WINK*"

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
1. A bunch of people keep telling other people to watch comicbookgirl19's recaps of what's happened so far on the show/past events and she spells out R+L=J in one of her videos.

2. What does any of what goes on in the GoT: no book thread have to do with this thread? Hell, what does any of what goes on in the show have to do with this thread? We already have a thread to discuss the show in regards to the books.

1. A bunch of people keep telling other people to watch comicbookgirl19's recaps of what's happened so far on the show/past events and she spells out R+L=J in one of her videos.

2. What does any of what goes on in the GoT: no book thread have to do with this thread? Hell, what does any of what goes on in the show have to do with this thread? We already have a thread to discuss the show in regards to the books.

There are three threads? I missed that. I was posting here so as not to post in the no-spoiler thread.

First off when Cornballer become a mod? Second, I've only read the books once and decided to reread them but can't fucking find my copy of ASOS (I think I let a girl use it when I lived in Fresno). Anyways, yeah I thought the R+L=J was evident in the first book.

Ah, OK. I'll be hitting up that spoiler/show thread.

I dislike the lurk-only rule on the no spoilers thread, but assholes will be assholes I guess.

I dislike the lurk-only rule on the no spoilers thread, but assholes will be assholes I guess.
It's not a firm rule, more of a very strong recommendation. Most people mean well, but we've already had a lot of mistakes where people didn't read the OP, forgot what thread they were in, or mixed up the books and the show and spoiled something. It's better for everyone if book readers just stick to the appropriate thread.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Where can I read the Dunk and Egg stories?

EDIT: I've read the Hedge Knight.

The Hedge Knight can be found in the anthology Legends.
The Sworn Sword can be found in the anthology Legends II.
The Mystery Knight can be found in the anthology Warriors.

The fourth one, The She-Wolves of Winterfell, is delayed while he finishes TWOW. After he finishes it, they are putting all four into one Tales of Dunk & Egg compilation.

The Hedge Knight can be found in the anthology Legends.
The Sworn Sword can be found in the anthology Legends II.
The Mystery Knight can be found in the anthology Warriors.

The fourth one, The She-Wolves of Winterfell, is delayed while he finishes TWOW. After he finishes it, they are putting all four into one Tales of Dunk & Egg compilation.

Thanks.

Brakke

Banned
OT but I have never read The Silmarillion how is it?

It is a masturbatory brick wall of a book. It's intellectually interesting. Reading it for yourself highlights how hilariously derivative Blizzard are.

It's like... worth reading? If you're really into pop culture / genre or mythology or linguistics. It's certainly not a "good" book.

Reyne

OT but I have never read The Silmarillion how is it?

I think its worth reading, if only to get it under your belt. Its not the biggest book out there, but it is certainly one of the harder books to read. Narratively speaking, its nothing like LoTR but rather more like a Bible ( which is what it was trying to accomplish ) and reading about the stories in that manner is perhaps not particularly satisfying. Some of these stories are actually pretty interesting, but because of the way they are told it can be hard to get into them.
If anything, you can marvel at Tolkien's amazing prose ( which can get very abstract at times ), world-construction and how he binds together the different themes, foreshadowing and so forth. Once read, the events of LoTR will truly seem like the tip of the iceberg that it is. So if you really liked the middle-earth you should read it I think. But otherwise, i wouldn't force myself.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I just read a theory on r/asoiaf that equates the series to Revelations 12-19.

I need to go ly dow.

Rereading AGOT and Robb just asked Catelyn if Walder Frey means to betray him to the Lannisters. Ugh. Why didn't Hoster Tully just pull a House Reyne after the events of the Trident?

Masenkame

Cross posting from the TV thread, some stuff y'all might find interesting:

If you really want to see a screwed up, hilarious, and disturbing mess of people being spoiled, check out the Something Awful forums. The front page of the forum has a subforum titled with a major spoiler, as well as the alt-text for that subforum. That subforum is already a notorious den of savagery, and folks from it are invading other subforums for even more silly antics.

A tactic that has continued from last year is the malicious changing of people's avatars to spoilers, facilitated by SA's built in pay-to-change avatar system, which is usually used to shame posters for ignorant and disgusting behavior. People are also buying new usernames to post spoilers before they are banned.

The TV subforum has two threads for the show, one for book readers and one for show-only watchers. The show-only thread was hit by that avatar spoiler business, as well as the normal drive-by spoiler posting, usually from those crazy subforums. Their tactic of disabling avatars was sound, until there were people posting spoilers in signatures and using images as well, which I probably shouldn't link. People have somewhat given up and are resigned to the fact that the show-only thread is going to have spoilers no matter what.

The moderators are doing what they can, but it's still a minefield there. They've had to close threads for a bit, just to sort it all out. Somehow spoilers are also making their way to the banned user list, where the reason for banning contains text and images of spoilers. The book-reader thread in the TV subforum has a lot of nice folks lamenting all this craziness.

Last thing of interest to note is the presence of "The Bad Thread", over in the book subforum. This outrageous thread was previously titled "GRMM: A Song of Ass and Fire", and was recently changed to "ASoIaF: The Officially Licensed Novelization of HBO's hit show Game of Thrones", which is pretty funny. The OP of the thread will explain its legacy, but if you jump into the thick of it you will find many character assassinations of George R.R. Martin, tearing down of the novels and the show, and folks posting horrible things in general with absolute impunity. Also, they know the novels inside and out. It's an amusing thread to read, but it goes over the line quite a bit. There's this amazing image as well posted in there, but I'm not sure of its origin.

In summary, NeoGAF is doing pretty well in comparison.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
If you really want to see a screwed up, hilarious, and disturbing mess of people being spoiled, check out the Something Awful forums. The front page of the forum has a subforum titled with a major spoiler, as well as the alt-text for that subforum. That subforum is already a notorious den of savagery, and folks from it are invading other subforums for even more silly antics.

i'm not seeing any spoiler in the subforum titles. but yeah, that forum has always been terrible.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Rereading AGOT and Robb just asked Catelyn if Walder Frey means to betray him to the Lannisters. Ugh. Why didn't Hoster Tully just pull a House Reyne after the events of the Trident?
Stupid limp fish.

Last line of the final book will be Hodor standing above a carnage filled battle scene, sword in the air, yelling: "WE ARE ALL TARGARYENS!"
At least it's true for him by association considering Old Nan probably fucked Ser Duncan. :p

hemtae

Bolton, I can see because Ramsey is almost self-destructive levels of stupid evil and I don't see Roose surviving because of his involvement in the Red Wedding.

Frey seems too numerous to kill off completely.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The North has a long memory, so I don't think the Bolton's will last. Freys depends on UnCat and The Blackfish.

EDIT: I never considered if Sansa married into the Vale. She would certainly ensure a Tully loyalists + North + Vale alliance, just like during Robert's Rebellion.

Abraxas

Just a prediction, but I can really see Harrold Hardyng coming to a sticky end, with Littlefingers dagger in his guts. Petyr doesn't want to give up Sansa, and all he needs from Harrold is his titles.

Reyne

Random question. I can't remember, why didn't Aegon conquer Dorne? Wouldn't the dragons have been just as effective as they were against the other kingdoms?

They resorted to guerrilla warfare. Basically, it didn't matter if Aegon brought large armies or even the dragons, because Dorne never gave them open battle.

I definitely agree the Boltons will go extinct; only two males remain, and both are currently surrounded by enemies. I don't expect either to escape Winterfell alive. The Freys...I think they'll cease being a great house and lose the Twins, but I don't think they'll go extinct. There are too many.

Random question. I can't remember, why didn't Aegon conquer Dorne? Wouldn't the dragons have been just as effective as they were against the other kingdoms?

The Dornish armies refused to meet the dragons on an open field, and instead waged a guerrilla war that drained Targaryen forces. They actually managed to kill Rhaenys and her dragon in later years.

TWOW
one of the Dornish houses Arianne visits on her way to meet Connington mentioned they have a book detailing the exact strategy used to defeat dragons. I have a feeling that's going to play a part later assuming Arianne, Dorne, and Aegon face off against Dany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom