• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Jaqen is widely suspected to be the guy that killed Pate in one of the prologues and since Sam is at the Citadel something's bound to happen.

Moreover, if I recall correctly, Sam meets Pate in the last chapter of the book (or even last/second-to-last page). Since we know real Pate is dead at this point it's very possible that it actually is Jaqen (since Pate was killed by a man who had similar face to Jaqen's at the end of ACOK).

Nymerio

Has it ever been mentioned what Jaquen was doing in King's Landing in the first book? I can't imagine someone like him just getting thrown into the dungeons.

I don't think that was explained, just that he was dangerous. Some fools still cling to the Jaqen=Syrio theory due to the lack of information.

Jaqen being Syrio was explicitly proven not to be true in A Feast for Crows. Rennifer Longwaters tells Jaime that the three previous people in the black cells (Jaqen, Rorge and Biter) were given over to the Night's Watch while Ned was still hand.

Has it ever been mentioned what Jaquen was doing in King's Landing in the first book? I can't imagine someone like him just getting thrown into the dungeons.
I can't help but think getting jailed was part of the plan; how else would someone of his caliber be arrested if not willingly? So he heads to the Wall. And in AFFC he's in the Citidal. The only thing I can think of that connects both the Wall and Citidal is their libraries, specifically the book on killing dragons...

I can't help but think getting jailed was part of the plan; how else would someone of his caliber be arrested if not willingly? So he heads to the Wall. And in AFFC he's in the Citidal. The only thing I can think of that connects both the Wall and Citidal is their libraries, specifically the book on killing dragons...

Sam was his target all along. He was hired by daddy Tarly.

I posted this in the TV show thread, but it's probably worth a look here as well:

- Full Rolling Stone interview with GRRM
Martin is an affable, candid, terrifically smart man, and he is loquacious. We talked for 10 hours that day, breaking only for dinner. His way of discussing Game of Thrones surprised me: He often spun questions into larger dissertations about history, war and society. Because Martin is a big man, with an infectious laugh and white hair, there might seem something of a Santa Claus aspect about him, except for his eyes, which are constantly flickering with thought – some of it quite dark – conveying a mind as shrewd as that belonging to any of his characters.

Brakke

Banned
Jaqen being Syrio was explicitly proven not to be true in A Feast for Crows. Rennifer Longwaters tells Jaime that the three previous people in the black cells (Jaqen, Rorge and Biter) were given over to the Night's Watch while Ned was still hand.

holy shit "Rennifer Longwaters" what a pull. You some kind of 'paedia?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I posted this in the TV show thread, but it's probably worth a look here as well:

- Full Rolling Stone interview with GRRM

The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that's become the template. I'm not sure that it's a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that. World War I is much more typical of the wars of history than World War II – the kind of war you look back afterward and say, "What the hell were we fighting for? Why did all these millions of people have to die? Was it really worth it to get rid of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, that we wiped out an entire generation, and tore up half the continent? Was the War of 1812 worth fighting? The Spanish-American War? What the hell were these people fighting for?"

It's no wonder why he used AFFC to show the consequences of war. It also makes me think that The Others aren't this evil civilization, they have an endgame and the destruction of Westeros isn't in their plan.

10 hours?!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Martin keeping the possibility open that Tywin/Oberyn/someone else was involved in the poisoning?

[Martin pauses for a moment.] You've read the books?

Yes.
Who kills Joffrey?

That killing happens early in this fourth season. The books, of course, are well past the poisoning of King Joffrey.
In the books – and I make no promises, because I have two more books to write, and I may have more surprises to reveal – the conclusion that the careful reader draws is that Joffrey was killed by the Queen of Thorns, using poison from Sansa's hairnet, so that if anyone did think it was poison, then Sansa would be blamed for it. Sansa had certainly good reason for it.

Personally, I always thought the "harsh lesson" Tywin promised for Joffrey might have deeper meaning.

By the way, the interviewer's answer to the simple question of who killed Joffrey in the books makes no sense. Martin pretty much had to answer his own question.

RedShift

Martin keeping the possibility open that Tywin/Oberyn/someone else was involved in the poisoning?

Personally, I always thought the "harsh lesson" Tywin promised for Joffrey might have deeper meaning.

By the way, the interviewer's answer to the simple question of who killed Joffrey in the books makes no sense. Martin pretty much had to answer his own question.

Just posted this in the other thread, but I reckon he might mean that Maergery was the one who put the poison in the cup. Ollena definitely took the strangler from Sansa (how else would LF know she touched it?), so it was either her or someone she could trust who did it.

She has better access, and can make sure she doesn't drink from it when it's poisoned.

iuuk

Wouldn't Tywin poisoning Joffrey go against everything he stood for? Him constantly saying 'all there is is family' led me to believe that the internal struggles and murder will destroy his family line. Him having a hand in that would not only be ironic, it would be completely out of character.
He loathed Tyrion, but never did anything to physically harm him because of 'the family'.

Reyne

Well, no man is so accursed as the kinslayer. A lot of people actually take this very seriously in the ASOIF-verse and its likely the reason Tyrion is alive. If Tywin wouldn't kill a dwarf he loathes more than anyone, he wouldn't kill Joffrey who in Tywins mind is probably just a stupid child with an attitude problem, nothing a sharp lesson can't fix. I imagine the sharp lesson that was promised would amount to something along the lines of the psychological torture Tywin put Tyrion through. In a lot of ways, Joffrey got off easy by being poisoned.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I am more of the opinion that Tywin was not involved, but probably had a good idea who was involved (if not knew outright) and just didn't care, as he know Joffrey would likely have led to another rebellion. I have no doubt he probably would have eventually killed Margery, and led to war with Highgarden,

Brakke

Banned
Someone once tried to tell me that Euron is Daario and that Westeros and Essos experience time at different rates or something.

Confirmed.

TCRS

Banned
reading the TV show threads reminds me of how little a role the Others play in AFFC and ADWD. The whole story starts with them and they are scary mofos, we have the battle and sam and gilly fighting their way through the north etc. but in the last two books there was almost nothing. really looking forward to TWOW.

tmdorsey

reading the TV show threads reminds me of how little a role the Others play in AFFC and ADWD. The whole story starts with them and they are scary mofos, we have the battle and sam and gilly fighting their way through the north etc. but in the last two books there was almost nothing. really looking forward to TWOW.

They almost have to be featured heavily in TWOW.

TCRS

Banned
yup, winter is finally here. which has me thinking: does a dream of spring mean that spring is almost here (which would mean a very short, 1 book winter) or does it mean that it's so far away that people are dreaming of it, yearning for it. hmm.

yup, winter is finally here. which has me thinking: does the a dream of spring mean that spring is almost there (which would mean a very short, 1 book winter) or does it mean that it's so far away that people are dreaming of it, yearning for it. hmm.

The latter probably

yup, winter is finally here. which has me thinking: does a dream of spring mean that spring is almost here (which would mean a very short, 1 book winter) or does it mean that it's so far away that people are dreaming of it, yearning for it. hmm.
Almost surely the latter. The first five books encompassed a few years and George had built this up to be a many year winter since the beginning. Unless the sixth book changes pace and covers several years in time, I doubt we get anywhere close to getting through winter by the end of the series.

I will always prefer the last book's original title.

RiverBed

Banned
Quick question: will jaqen ever show up in the show again? They announced the show will have two more seasons on top of the one showing now.

daripad

Quick question: will jaqen ever show up in the show again? They announced the show will have two more seasons on top of the one showing now.

He should, as he seems to be imoortant in Sam's arc and the whole Game of Thrones in general. It will be with his new face in episode 10 of the second season though if they get to hire that actor.

Massa

Almost surely the latter. The first five books encompassed a few years and George had built this up to be a many year winter since the beginning. Unless the sixth book changes pace and covers several years in time, I doubt we get anywhere close to getting through winter by the end of the series.

I will always prefer the last book's original title.

This winter is associated with something big going on, as soon as Jon takes care of it we'll have spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom