• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaface

Hey all, I'm currently reading this series and just finished A Clash of Kings. Is it ever established why Mandon Moore tried to kill Tyrion? A Goggle search suggests not.

Not explicitly, but it's assumed either Cersei or Joffrey were behind it.

tmdorsey

I have a question.

Can somebody explain this supposed connection between the Others and Starks in particular the line "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" Weren't the Others already mobilizing and increasing their ranks while Ned was still alive?

butzopower

proud of his butz
Or Littlefinger.

I'd believe this, Littlefinger clearly wants Tyrion dead.

Not sure of Littlefinger's endgame, if he's looking to just have hold of the North and the Vale and maybe Highgarden, or if he's involved in Dorne, too. Could be Darkstar was his.

SamVimes

Not sure of Littlefinger's endgame, if he's looking to just have hold of the North and the Vale and maybe Highgarden, or if he's involved in Dorne, too. Could be Darkstar was his.

I'm not sure either, but i'm rooting for him. Fuck the nobles.

I never really got the idea that Littlefinger had an Endgame. He just sorta takes advantage of a situation as it presents itself and plays it off like it was all part of this grand master plan...

I still wonder whether Tyrion's pie was poisoned, not the wine, and LF/Olenna accidentally killed Joff when they were trying to kill Tyrion. It seems like it makes way more sense to kill Joffery AFTER Maergery is pregnant.

Killing Tyrion at the wedding would free up Sansa to marry again, at which point LF could betray the Tyrells and steal her.

Reyne

I still wonder whether Tyrion's pie was poisoned, not the wine, and LF/Olenna accidentally killed Joff when they were trying to kill Tyrion. It seems like it makes way more sense to kill Joffery AFTER Maergery is pregnant.

Killing Tyrion at the wedding would free up Sansa to marry again, at which point LF could betray the Tyrells and steal her.

Lots of things that could go wrong there. If Maergery had a miscarriage or gave birth to a daughter, Tommen would still be made king. After that Maergery wouldn't be as eligible for marriage with Tommen given the consummation and all that jazz and the Tyrell's might as well pack up and ride back to Highgarden.

tmdorsey

What motive would Olenna have for killing Tyrion though?

Lots of things that could go wrong there. If Maergery had a miscarriage or gave birth to a daughter, Tommen would still be made king. After that Maergery wouldn't be as eligible for marriage with Tommen given the consummation and all that jazz and the Tyrell's might as well pack up and ride back to Highgarden.

Damn you're right. Especially in King's Landing where Cersei could potentially ensure Maergery had a miscarriage.

DC1

IIRC

Tyrion+Sansa
Willas+Sansa

Correct. However I'm more inclined to believe that Olenna had more concern for Maergery's well being within King's Landing than an arranged marriage between Willas and a powerless north.
Remember that the war was with a fractured Stannis at the time and half the North was bending to the Lannisters.

The Tyrell's focus was/is on the throne and the quickest path to get there was through Maergery not war.

Wh0 N0se

I don't think Littlefinger was out to kill Tyrion, I just think he sensed the situation with him that Cersei hated him and most people weren't particularly fond of him so it would be pretty easy to place any blame on him for things like Joffreys murder.

DC1

I don't think Littlefinger was out to kill Tyrion, I just think he sensed the situation with him that Cersei hated him and most people weren't particularly fond of him so it would be pretty easy to place any blame on him for things like Joffreys murder.
I would point out that Littlefinger's drive has always been validation through power. He had no idea of Jeffreys assassination attempt and was genuinely amused when he found out...
His strategy had changed.

In short he is and have been playing the game of thrones for some time.

I believe we have only seen the very tip of his plan and the only person that has a bead on him happens to be greatest mind in all of the seven kingdoms, namely Varys (The Just).

Littlefinger also had a bone to pick with Tyrion thanks to how Tyrion tricked him in ACOK. And of course Tyrion also married Sansa.

SamVimes

Littlefinger knew that Tyrion knew he lied about the dagger. He didn't try to frame him on the purple wedding (that would be a ridiculous plan) but it's definitely possible that he tried to kill him on the blackwater.

I have a question.

Can somebody explain this supposed connection between the Others and Starks in particular the line "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" Weren't the Others already mobilizing and increasing their ranks while Ned was still alive?
It might have something to do with the Wall. Perhaps the Wall's magic is strongest when a Stark is in Winterfell. Others have pointed out it could be weather related. The northern storm in ADWD seems supernatural, and perhaps it won't stop until Rickon returns - or until a blood sacrifice is made (Theon).

butzopower

proud of his butz
Maybe this is for the show thread, but that one's going too fast to keep up with. In changing the ages of the Stark kids, did they change the dates of events in the show? Does everything start 298AL, and the war was earlier than in the books? Seems like if Jon were older, and his birth was a product of the war, that everything would have to be earlier or the year is later to adjust it.

hemtae

Maybe this is for the show thread, but that one's going too fast to keep up with. In changing the ages of the Stark kids, did they change the dates of events in the show? Does everything start 298AL, and the war was earlier than in the books? Seems like if Jon were older, and his birth was a product of the war, that everything would have to be earlier or the year is later to adjust it.

I know they did get rid of a targaryan king in the show but I can't remember which one.

I have a question.

The Stark at winterfell could be for something else as well, could be a deal with the CotF. There is a lot about the North/Others/Starks/CotF that we don't know about at the moment so we better be getting a lot of information in the next 2 books.

The others could have been mobilizing b/c they felt that dragons were coming back (maybe they started to mobilize when dragons hit Westoros and then they died off so they slept a little longer).

The wait absolutely sucks.

Doesn't answer your questions directly but has a nice write up of the general theory:
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81078-winter-fell/

tmdorsey

The Stark at winterfell could be for something else as well, could be a deal with the CotF. There is a lot about the North/Others/Starks/CotF that we don't know about at the moment so we better be getting a lot of information in the next 2 books.

The others could have been mobilizing b/c they felt that dragons were coming back (maybe they started to mobilize when dragons hit Westoros and then they died off so they slept a little longer).

The wait absolutely sucks.

Doesn't answer your questions directly but has a nice write up of the general theory:
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81078-winter-fell/

Interesting theory. Thanks for this.

Brakke

Banned
tumblr_n4x3p5LCJp1siczf7o6_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_n4x3p5LCJp1siczf7o2_r1_500.jpg

More: Japanese Covers for ‘A Song of Ice and Fire

Brakke

Banned
Holy fuck at Tyrion, nightmares man... Don't they actually want to sell those books or what?

Yeah it reminded me something about the show. In the books Tyrion has "hair so blond it seemed white". You know, because he's a secret Targ. The show has his hair quite a dirtier blond than Cersei's or Jaime's.

I wonder if that's on purpose (because their hair color is a red herring anyway) or the showrunners just decided it'd be too much effort to maintain.

Massa

Yeah it reminded me something about the show. In the books Tyrion has "hair so blond it seemed white". You know, because he's a secret Targ. The show has his hair quite a dirtier blond than Cersei's or Jaime's.

I wonder if that's on purpose (because their hair color is a red herring anyway) or the showrunners just decided it'd be too much effort to maintain.

Peter Dinklage looked ridiculous with blonde hair. They chose having an amazing actor play the role rather than being faithful to every description in the book.

Trasher

Except Tyrion's hair isn't completely blonde. It's mixed with darker black hair.

AWOIAF
Tyrion is a dwarf, he has stubby legs, a jutting forehead, mismatched eyes of green and black, and a mixture of pale blond and black hair.

Paganmoon

Yeah I know. The real thing is, Peter Dinklage is a handsome dude, the thing on that cover up there is a horrendous monstrosity.

Thing is, the thing on the cover is probably a lot closer to the book's description, still shouldn't be on the damned cover though :)

Moff

is there a photoshop of emilia clarke in a legit book costume?

but yeah, shows why some thing dont work as good on screen as in the books

Aiii

So not worth it
I have a question.

I have always thought it might have something to do with their leader. The Night's King was rumored to be a Stark as per one of Old Nan's story. Maybe having a Stark in Winterfell prevents him from making a move against his own kin or something.

This is something that's always bugged me: does the Battle of the Blackwater take place during the day or at night? In the show, it's entirely at night, but in the books it's sort of ambiguous.

This is something that's always bugged me: does the Battle of the Blackwater take place during the day or at night? In the show, it's entirely at night, but in the books it's sort of ambiguous.

Set during the day I believe.

It's night in the show purely because it's more cost effective. Plus Fire will appear far better in the darkness.

Trasher

Cool shop.

Sometimes I forget how really fucked up looking he actually is. Like when I read the books I always forget to picture him like that. Especially once he makes his away across the Narrow Sea.

TCRS

Banned
I actually prefer TV Tyrion, even when I'm reading the books. I think GRRM went a little overboard with Tyrions uglyness. He and Tywin are straight out of the show in my imagination when I'm reading the books. And a younger Sean Bean maybe.

ZeroRay

Always imagined him to look like Brian Peppers when I started reading the books. Ned was Russel Crowe lol.

Took a while to start imagining both as the actors they're portrayed by.

DC1

I actually prefer TV Tyrion, even when I'm reading the books. I think GRRM went a little overboard with Tyrions uglyness. He and Tywin are straight out of the show in my imagination when I'm reading the books. And a younger Sean Bean maybe.
I also picture the HBO series actors when reading the book. This speaks to a greater appreciation for the casting of the HBO series.

There has never been a cinematic experience that nails the 'feel' and 'look' of the characters represented in the sourced book (as well as what HBO presents through the Game of Thrones series).
Big Ups to all that was involved with the casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom