• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC1

Cool shop.

Sometimes I forget how really fucked up looking he actually is. Like when I read the books I always forget to picture him like that. Especially once he makes his away across the Narrow Sea.

Oh yeah., The big T is pretty jacked up in the books.
I'll never forget Tyrone's 'visit' to Pentoshi.
While resting in the seller have his feel of wine, the servant girl that was sent to attend to him (Trained in the Art Pleasing) was ill at the thought of lying with him.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
expensive for tv

i imagine the 20 minutes it takes to apply his facial scar is a whole lot cheaper than matching everything up in 3d
Eh I thought the comment at the Purple Wedding when he mentions wanting to keep the rest of his face was hyperbolic seeing he only have two scars. Could have at least put some more makeup on his nose to look more disfigured.

MacNille

Banned
If there is something that I miss from the tv-series, is the fight at the Tower of Joy. I always wanted to see it on the screen. It would have been an awesome scene.

If there is something that I miss from the tv-series, is the fight at the Tower of Joy. I always wanted to see it on the screen. It would have been an awesome scene.

Good opportunity to show Sir Arthur Dayne being an absolute boss and dying like one as well. Probably took both Ned and Howland to beat him.

Reyne

I quite like this photoshop of Peter Dinklage as book Tyrion.

It is sorta creepy.

0tqY7xH.jpg

Having re-read the passages in the book I'd be inclined to say Tyrions wounds wasn't like that. This is more like Rorge, who is described as having a hole in his face where in Tyrion case its often described as a great scar over what was left on his nose and he often jokes about having half a nose, like "I lose half my nose and you gain a knighthood." or “What’s half a nose, on a face like mine?

Probably still too ghastly for television anyway.

Levi

Banned
I write this without reading the thread, so apologies is this has been settled.

With the show including material from unpublished books, is there any demand for a thread that bans show discussion for those of us who have stopped watching? As of now, I don't know of any place on the internet that discusses the books as if the show doesn't exist.

Chris R

I write this without reading the thread, so apologies is this has been settled.

With the show including material from unpublished books, is there any demand for a thread that bans show discussion for those of us who have stopped watching? As of now, I don't know of any place on the internet that discusses the books as if the show doesn't exist.

Are we 100% sure the things they are showing in the show are book canon? We have adventures like Jon & Bran @ Craster's and other things we KNOW that don't occur in the book in the show, so why should we believe everything else the show has shown that might occur in future books?

I still think this thread is fine for everything ASOIAF except for those pesky TWOW/ADOS spoilers :p

Levi

Banned
The show runners have information bookreaders don't have, so it's a risk. One I've decided to opt out of. Please don't try to convince me to watch the show, because I won't until all the books are out.

This thread already tags Winds and Dream spoilers from other sources, is it so hard to believe that I think they should be tagged even if the source of the spoiler is the tv series?

I don't mean to derail this thread, as it has a different policy than my ideal; just asking if there's interest in a pure book thread similar to the pure show thread.

Brakke

Banned
Game of Thrones discussions are already split every which way but loose. There is nothing to gain by further slicing up the community.

Spoilersphobia is whack. Spoilers don't even ever spoil anything. It's the journey that matters, breh. Go on this journey with us.

Levi

Banned
Spoilersphobia is whack. Spoilers don't even ever spoil anything. It's the journey that matters, breh. Go on this journey with us.

I'm not against spoilers at all. I just don't want to see an inferior version of a story I've been invested in for 14 years first, when I could wait and get the superior version.

I was hoping that other fans would be uncomfortable about them revealing future book events, and I could finally get an HBO-free place to discuss my favorite fantasy series. I don't really care about knowing what happens, I do care that the HBO version of those events will be terribly bad and I dont want that tainting my enjoyment of those events when and if they occur in the books.

Massa

I'm not against spoilers at all. I just don't want to see an inferior version of a story I've been invested in for 14 years first, when I could wait and get the superior version.

I was hoping that other fans would be uncomfortable about them revealing future book events, and I could finally get an HBO-free place to discuss my favorite fantasy series. I don't really care about knowing what happens, I do care that the HBO version of those events will be terribly bad and I dont want that tainting my enjoyment of those events when and if they occur in the books.

If there is such a place it's probably a section of the westeros.org forum. That's the biggest community of book readers and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same as you.

Moff

many of us are probably wondering how we should handle that situation

well I see it like this:
the show is a huge pop phenomenon, its everywhere, certainly in circles where I read stuff. ADOS at least will be released several years after the show finale aired.

chances are I'll be spoiled both the books and the show if I dont watch the show. If I watch the show, then nothing will be spoiled for me. not only that, the whole world will be watching with me, which adds quite some event factor.

I totally see your point though, but I like to think, after AFFC/ADWD, chances are that the books are not necessarily that much superior to the show after this season. I'll decide after season 5, i honestly think season 5 may be better than AFFC/ADWD.

The way I see it, I can either continue to watch the show and get what will probably be a pretty great, if not entirely "pure," version of the story, or I can try to avoid the show and inevitably get spoiled because Game of Thrones is fucking gigantic and I can't walk outside my door on Monday mornings without hearing someone yell about what happened on last night's episode.

I'm not that sensitive to spoilers, hell I had like half the major deaths in books 1-3 spoiled for me and I still thought they were great, but if it's between those two choices I might as well be part of the zeitgeist with everyone else.

Brakke

Banned

Hate to break this to everyone, but GRR's versions will probably be terribly bad. The guy is far from beyond reproach. Within reproach I guess? This isn't a "pure vision" any more anyway, he's been working on the thing for years, he's been getting feedback. Game of Thrones isn't a Divinely Revealed Work, it's a Conversation.

"Superior", "inferior", "tainting". "Finally". Dogs, it's not like we're talking about The Unsurpassable Work of English Literature here. The thing is a trifle. It'd be cool if we could all share in our experience of the thing as a community.

The way I see it, I can either continue to watch the show and get what will probably be a pretty great, if not entirely "pure," version of the story, or I can try to avoid the show and inevitably get spoiled because Game of Thrones is fucking gigantic and I can't walk outside my door on Monday mornings without hearing someone yell about what happened on last night's episode.

I'm not that sensitive to spoilers, hell I had like half the major deaths in books 1-3 spoiled for me and I still thought they were great, but if it's between those two choices I might as well be part of the zeitgeist with everyone else.

Yeah!

TCRS

Banned
Well after the spoiler in episode 4 I had someone else watch episode 5 before I did. And that's how I'm going to do it in future. If there are book spoilers (that other guy doesn't give a shit) I'm not watching. The show is not that important to me, the books and keeping it spoiler free is. A shame that I will have to leave the whole GoT/ASOIAF community on gaf :/

Well after the spoiler in episode 4 I had someone else watch episode 5 before I did. And that's how I'm going to do it in future. If there are book spoilers (that other guy doesn't give a shit) I'm not watching. The show is not that important to me, the books and keeping it spoiler free is. A shame that I will have to leave the whole GoT/ASOIAF community on gaf :/

All power to you, but I'd rather see any spoilers on the show in a dramatic context rather than having to live in fear of spoilers for however many years it takes until GRRM actually gets them down on paper.

Game of Thrones is massive. If the spoilers are big enough, it won't be enough to stay off these threads- gifs of Joffrey's death were all over the net within minutes of episode 2 airing, for example. It's a shame, but short of becoming a hermit, it'll be a real struggle to stay spoiler-free.

Wh0 N0se

I'll probably stop watching the show after this season, unless TWOW is out before next season (which is unlikely). I love the books and the surprise I get from something unexpected happening in them far outweighs something surprising the show could do.

I also feel the show this season so far has lacked in quality, this is my personal opinion and people may disagree with it but the extra stroylines they've added have been either pointless or way to heavy handed, things like the stuff beyond the wall at Crasters keep which is completely pointless or the way they have to spell it out to viewers who killed Joffrey instead of leaving it open and allowing TV viewers to watch it and make their own discussions on it.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me on this but it's just my opinion. This is an unmarked spoiler thread so people should be allowed to discuss things from the TV show here but the title of the thread doesn't mention 'TV' in it so it's still too ambiguous, I think the mods need to change it one way or another so that it doesn't ruin the experience for people either way.
I'm fine with going to the marked spoiler thread if I have to, it's just disappointing that we've gotten to the point where a form of entertainment based on something is about to overtake the original source material, I wish GRRM could get TWOW out quicker!

Eidan

I actually prefer TV Tyrion, even when I'm reading the books. I think GRRM went a little overboard with Tyrions uglyness. He and Tywin are straight out of the show in my imagination when I'm reading the books. And a younger Sean Bean maybe.

Yeah, it seemed odd that he'd make a character already established as ugly even more so. He did the same thing with Brienne.

Reyne

Yeah, it seemed odd that he'd make a character already established as ugly even more so. He did the same thing with Brienne.

Well, they could scarcely become prettier, now could they. It serves a thematic purpose because both of them have already accepted that they appear as ugly and abnormal to society. The injuries are a reminder to them and us of what they appear like to others. But their worth was never determined by their appearance. Like they say, beauty is skin deep and says nothing about intellect or emotions.
Also, its a reminder that if you are gonna put yourself in battle and danger, like Tyrion and Brienne does, you are probably going to pay the price eventually.

Either way it just goes to show that people are pretty judging of appearance. Not just people in Westeros, but people watching show is too. Would Tyrion be half as popular if they made him as grotesque as he is in the books? Probably not. Still, Tyrion was a popular and likable character long before Dinklage took up the mantle.
Now, if he were like in the books, people's first impression of him would be almost exactly the same as that of the people of Westeros. Ugly. Its discomforting just to look at him etc. People's first thought certainly wouldn't be how likable this guy is. Therein lies the difference between the books and the show. Dinklage is handsome, charismatic and funny and instantly likable, because he needs to be, or else people wouldn't really like or care as much for Tyrion, superficial and ironic as all that is.

There's no evidence that what happened in ep 4 was a spoiler. There's no evidence that the Night's King is the king of the Others, in fact they existed thousands of years before he was created.

The baby being turned is something many people theorized years ago so it didn't shock me.

jett

D-Member
There's no evidence that what happened in ep 4 was a spoiler. There's no evidence that the Night's King is the king of the Others, in fact they existed thousands of years before he was created.

The baby being turned is something many people theorized years ago so it didn't shock me.

Except for HBO's viewer's guide that explicitly names him the Night's King and was conspicuously edited after people noted the revelation.

Except for HBO's viewer's guide that explicitly names him the Night's King and was conspicuously edited after people noted the revelation.
I know and still don't buy it. I'm going to guess this is the show using the phrase for a character that is show specific and not the Night's King of the book: ie the 13 LC.

I'm far more apt to believe that character, who may have been a Stark, is Coldhands. Who isn't going to be in the show.

TCRS

Banned
All power to you, but I'd rather see any spoilers on the show in a dramatic context rather than having to live in fear of spoilers for however many years it takes until GRRM actually gets them down on paper.

Game of Thrones is massive. If the spoilers are big enough, it won't be enough to stay off these threads- gifs of Joffrey's death were all over the net within minutes of episode 2 airing, for example. It's a shame, but short of becoming a hermit, it'll be a real struggle to stay spoiler-free.

you're probably right :/

there's no way I can stay spoiler free for the next seven years or so. It'll be everywhere, neogaf, twitter, tumblr, facebook..

I really like all the extra stuff like this, and would be really interested in it, I just wish he'd get the series done first.

I guess it'll sell a lot better though, since readers will be keen for just about anything canon he puts out

DC1

I really like all the extra stuff like this, and would be really interested in it, I just wish he'd get the series done first.

I guess it'll sell a lot better though, since readers will be keen for just about anything canon he puts out

freakin DING!

Here's the good news: Nothing else is standing in the way of knocking the series out the park in the next 10 years!

:) .. Gotta take what you can!

Monocle

Game of Thrones discussions are already split every which way but loose. There is nothing to gain by further slicing up the community.

Spoilers are terrible because they don't just ruin the ending, they suck the marrow out of the journey. When I see spoilers I can't stop thinking about them. For me they destroy the pleasure of guessing and create a distracting tension that I can't fucking get rid of until I've reached the spoiled part of the story. Example: there's no way the Red Wedding would have had the same impact if some jackass had told me "don't get too attached to the Starks lolololol," much less described the actual event before I'd read it myself.

Spoilers are awful.

Reyne

There's some misspellings.

What stands out to be is how other than a Blackwood and a Royce, the Starks married northerners. At least until Rickard Stark's "southron ambitions" became a thing.

Well, given how distant the North is that seem to have been the usual state of affairs. And House Blackwood and Royce are both of the 'First Men' so to speak, so they may have had more connections with the north than other southrons.

For me its pretty funny how we have all these repetitive names, numerous Brandons, a couple of Benjens, another Rickon and even a Sansa Stark if you look back far enough... and then out of no where a "Daughter Stark" in blue, with no name. Couldn't come up with a name for her, huh?

Well, I guess they will tidy it up before publishing because it looks like a mess now...

Rickard Stark married his cousin, another Stark?

Both instances of Stark-Stark marriages have one nuclear family of Starks having 2 daughters, so I'm assuming it was an inheritance issue. While we don't know the birth order, I'd assume that the a line was about to end with no male heir, so they remarried into the extended Stark family (the earlier one maybe inherited something from the Norrey's that they wanted to keep control of, Rickard's marriage may have been for Winterfell itself.)

It's also isolated by generation so that the closest pairing being uncle/niece (the other being having a shared great-grandfather/grandfather) which is still relatively removed compared to the Targaryen Brother/Sister pairings.

Gruco

Banned
What stands out to be is how other than a Blackwood and a Royce, the Starks married northerners. At least until Rickard Stark's "southron ambitions" became a thing.

Blackwood/Royce is a fun detail because those are the primary two families south of the neck which can still proudly trace their First Men ancestry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom