• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
As long as Barristan goes down fighting, I'm fine with his death. The dude survived how many wars and battles? He had his opportunity for a long quiet retirement and decided to go chasing after a crazy chick with dragons instead. Whatever happens after that is on him.

Aiii

So not worth it
I would definitely like to see at least 6 or so POV characters to kick the bucket. I would be very disappointed if this epic series ended with a happy ending for all involved, doesn't seem to fit the narrative at all. BLEAK! MAKE IT BLEAK GEORGE!

There are like 40 POV characters now, so some of them are going to have to die soon. But I'd be surprised of any of the major ones (POV characters from AGOT) died in the next book.

Kuraudo

Banned
1. Barristan
2. Arianne
3. Aeron
4. Dany
5. Jon (briefly)
6. Cersei
7. Connington

tumblr_n78r8g1Vmv1seinwjo1_400.gif

I think either Jaime or Brienne are pretty likely to die, if not both of them.

Alos, not a POV, but I'm not sure on Jorah's chances of surviving the Battle of Meereen. I expect him to die doing something heroic that turns the tide for Dany, but which she'll never know about.

Iksenpets

Banned
1. Barristan
2. Arianne
3. Aeron
4. Dany
5. Jon (briefly)
6. Cersei
7. Connington

My order of likelihood:

1. Jon, briefly, if we're counting that.
2. Barristan
3. Victarion
4. Aeron
5. Brienne
6. Cersei
7. Connington (dead eventually for sure, but seems likely to make it to the last book to me)
8. Jaime

I think everyone else is set up for enough of an endgame role that they'll make it to the last book. No one's safe in the last book though.

tumblr_n78r8g1Vmv1seinwjo1_400.gif

I think either Jaime or Brienne are pretty likely to die, if not both of them.

Alos, not a POV, but I'm not sure on Jorah's chances of surviving the Battle of Meereen. I expect him to die doing something heroic that turns the tide for Dany, but which she'll never know about.

I'd guess they both die, but Brienne probably goes first. Her death seems like the sort of thing that would push Jaime low enough that he could end up murdering Cersei like people expect.

And I kind of don't want to see Jorah redeemed. It's not like he's had any real character growth to warrant it. He's still a pretty pathetic guy, hatching up schemes to try and impress the girl who rejected him whenever he's not to busy trying to find the perfect lookalike prostitute. I think he lives for now though, just because Dany's last chapter seems to be setting her up to forgive him.

My death list

1. Victarion
: I just hope he lives long enough to be trolled by Tyrion
2. Barristan: I think he'll survive the first parts of the battle but die after being betrayed by whoever turned out to be the Harpy.
3. Sam: I just don't see him making it back to the Wall. He'll learn/see something he isn't supposed to and be snuffed....
4. Arianne: I know many people chose Connington over her, but I'll go against the grain. I think Connington will live long enough to help Aegon take the throne. IMO Arianne won't marry Aegon...Elia Sand will; her presence on the journey to meet Aegon seems like more than just side character stuff.
5. Cersei: Tommen and Myrcella will die first, then her IMO.
6. Damphair: Don't see him lasting long
7: Theon: Sacrifice?

Iksenpets

Banned
My death list

1. Victarion
: I just hope he lives long enough to be trolled by Tyrion
2. Barristan: I think he'll survive the first parts of the battle but die after being betrayed by whoever turned out to be the Harpy.
3. Sam: I just don't see him making it back to the Wall. He'll learn/see something he isn't supposed to and be snuffed....
4. Arianne: I know many people chose Connington over her, but I'll go against the grain. I think Connington will live long enough to help Aegon take the throne. IMO Arianne won't marry Aegon...Elia Sand will; her presence on the journey to meet Aegon seems like more than just side character stuff.
5. Cersei: Tommen and Myrcella will die first, then her IMO.
6. Damphair: Don't see him lasting long
7: Theon: Sacrifice?

Theon seems so obvious to die at this point that I'm convinced it's not happening, at least not until we're close to the end.

Theon seems so obvious to die at this point that I'm convinced it's not happening, at least not until we're close to the end.

While Theon not dying would certainly be an interesting twist, it seems very non-GRRM to let Theon live happily ever after. That would be far too corny. Theon will have a good death that he is very content with. Not just a death to grant him mercy for everything that has happened to him, but one that will allow him to go out with his head held high and contributing toward something bigger.

Iksenpets

Banned
While Theon not dying would certainly be an interesting twist, it seems very non-GRRM to let Theon live happily ever after. That would be far too corny. Theon will have a good death that he is very content with. Not just a death to grant him mercy for everything that has happened to him, but one that will allow him to go out with his head held high and contributing toward something bigger.

Oh yeah. Theon dies in the end. I just meant he's not dying yet. I think he probably ends up dying towards the very end, rather than soon.

Yonafunu

Theon wants to die. Him dying would be his happy end. I don't think he'll die. He will live with his mistakes, but he'll redeem himself in some way.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Theon wants to die. Him dying would be his happy end. I don't think he'll die. He will live with his mistakes, but he'll redeem himself in some way.

This is what I'd bet on. I really don't see him dying.

On the other hand, Asha has been so useless as a POV character that I just have to wonder why she even exists in the series if she'll be the one that dies.

eot

Banned
Killing him now that he's trying to break away from being Reek makes no sense. He might die later, but not right away.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Maybe Theon will live to old age, but he'll be such a wreck that he'll turn into some sort of crazy traumatized old man. >_>
Hahaha what is that from?

That would be perfect. Bittersweet and tragic.

I don't want JonCon to die. Idon'twantit Idon'twantit Idon'twantit

One of my favorite new characters, if not my favorite. He's also one of the only POVs who seems poised to do some really heinous shit. His inner monologue about not making the same mistake again with respect to being merciful/honorable convinces me that Tommen and/or Myrcella are going to die in gruesome fashion.

But what I'm saying is, when Theon dies, it's not because of what he went through. And that, in the end, is not going to be why he wants to die. It's not going to be a mercy type thing. He is going to find reason to live (at least temporarily) and give his life with meaning. He won't just die because he wants to because of what Ramsay did to him. It will be on his own, meaningful terms, not on "my life is awful and I am nothing" terms. It will be Theon Greyjoy's death, not Reek's death.

I hope Theon dies taking out Ramasy Bolton.

I could see whatever Theon's ending is being a relatively large, but possibly unknown to the world part of turning over power in the North. Like you just said, disposing of one of the Bolton's, or being a key piece of some exchange or deal. Something like that.

Iksenpets

Banned
This is what I'd bet on. I really don't see him dying.

On the other hand, Asha has been so useless as a POV character that I just have to wonder why she even exists in the series if she'll be the one that dies.

Asha seems like she has to be significant in eventually dealing with the Euron situation, or else yeah, she wouldn't be here. I would be pretty surprised if she dies, even in the end, just because she seems like the only possible resolution to all the Iron Islands plot. Plus, she just kind of feels like a character GRRM really likes.

I could see whatever Theon's ending is being a relatively large, but possibly unknown to the world part of turning over power in the North. Like you just said, disposing of one of the Bolton's, or being a key piece of some exchange or deal. Something like that.

I think Bran/Bloodraven have bigger plans for him after reawakening his identity than just letting Stannis sacrifice him. I could see him getting involved in the more mystical side of the Northern plot after his time with Stannis is done, which would be an interesting way of letting him reclaim some of his Northern identity.

dan2026

There are so many plots and extraneous characters with stories, how is this going to rap up in two books?

Some characters' stories literally have nothing to do with the main plots.

jett

D-Member
There are so many plots and extraneous characters with stories, how is this going to rap up in two books?

Some characters' stories literally have nothing to do with the main plots.

Same here. There are so many characters the plot has been advancing at a snail's pace. There's no way it ends in seven books as far as I'm concerned. We're at Book 6 and honestly there's no endgame in sight.

Yonafunu

But what I'm saying is, when Theon dies, it's not because of what he went through. And that, in the end, is not going to be why he wants to die. It's not going to be a mercy type thing. He is going to find reason to live (at least temporarily) and give his life with meaning. He won't just die because he wants to because of what Ramsay did to him. It will be on his own, meaningful terms, not on "my life is awful and I am nothing" terms. It will be Theon Greyjoy's death, not Reek's death.

Right, but that would be his happy ending. I just don't think that will happen.

CassSept

Theon taking down Ramsay or dying taking down Ramsay sounds way too tropy, unless GURM goes all full fantasy in the first two books (Jon x Dany and all that jazz) I don't see that happening. So, in other words, I don't see that happening. He will most likely be used in someone's schemes (maybe indeed Bran's/Bloodraven's?) and die quietly.

Theon taking down Ramsay or dying taking down Ramsay sounds way too tropy, unless GURM goes all full fantasy in the first two books (Jon x Dany and all that jazz) I don't see that happening. So, in other words, I don't see that happening. He will most likely be used in someone's schemes (maybe indeed Bran's/Bloodraven's?) and die quietly.

Which Theon would be happy to do. I'm not saying that he will go HAM and win a duel with one of the Boltons in a huge battle in the North or something like that. Just that he will play a role in overturning power in the North to give him something to be proud of before he dies. Simply dying a pitiful or sad death would negate the entire point of his arc. The point of surviving everything he survived as Reek has to be so he can play out something more slightly more positive than everything he's been through in the end. Story arc wise. Not necessarily, emotion wise.

Kain

I'm going to be so pissed off when Jaime dies.

Also, I'm sure GRRM is aware that people don't like his fake deaths anymore so I'm hoping when he decides to touch armored plot characters he kills them right off instead of trolling again. Tyrion's (I swear all his friggin chapters in ADWD end with him "dying") and Jon's "deaths" were so stupid they had me rolling my eyes out of my skull. Don't do it again, George, when you decide to kill someone, kill him for good, please T_T

I'm going to be so pissed off when Jaime dies.

Also, I'm sure GRRM is aware that people don't like his fake deaths anymore so I'm hoping when he decides to touch armored plot characters he kills them right off instead of trolling again. Tyrion's (I swear all his friggin chapters in ADWD end with him "dying") and Jon's "deaths" were so stupid they had me rolling my eyes out of my skull. Don't do it again, George, when you decide to kill someone, kill him for good, please T_T

I don't think Jaime will die in a gruesome way, if it's any consolation.

As for Cersei, she'll get her just desserts.

I didn't remember there being so many death fake outs in Feast and Dance until my friend read them and at least once a week text me "wow, what a stupid way for X" to die or "poor this person can't believe their dead." And I was sitting there knowing that they weren't actually dead.

I think Brienne is the worst offender. I mean, I love her as a character, but that would have been such a shocking way for her to go. Hanged by the very woman she swore to serve because she was wrongly believed to be a traitor? It would have made for such a "what the fuck" moment if her death stuck.

CassSept

I don't know, at least it was believable, in my opinion Tyrion is a worst offender because it was a terrible fake-out and I won't believe anyone was tricked into thinking Tyrion was actually in danger. Bad, uneccessary cliffhanger.

I never count Tyrion's as a fake out, because it's so painfully obvious that he's going to be okay.

Jon's may be the worst, only because he ends the book like that. What a shitty cliffhanger.

CassSept

I never count Tyrion's as a fake out, because it's so painfully obvious that he's going to be okay.

Jon's may be the worst, only because he ends the book like that. What a shitty cliffhanger.

I know, that one is arguable but I've seen some people consider it as such and it's a stupid cliffhanger.

Remember that Brienne's fake death was also the end of her character arc in AFFC and Davos is said to have died in White Harbor.

Well, Cracked.com posted an article that features Varys merman theory. It's mainstream now.

Could be personal related but Martin had an interesting blog post last night.

A Favorite Character

Who is my favorite character?

I have so many.

Here's one, appropriately melancholy for this dark night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95WqV-L5Nt8

One of my favorite novels, and its closing lines are amongst the most haunting in all of English literature.

And so we beat on, boats against the current....
http://grrm.livejournal.com/381923.html

Given his recent comments about being annoying by the "who is your fav character" questions this month, and his comment that Gatsby is one of his favorite characters...some folks on Reddit are wondering whether this is a hint that Martin just killed someone major off yesterday. Who knows.

I just can't see Tyrion or Arya dying in TWOW; I'd imagine at least one will die before the end of the series, but killing either in the penultimate book could be rather odd...especially if they don't make it back to Westeros. I assume Tyrion is going to return to Westeros and plot against the realm as Dany's most trusted political adviser. And I'd imagine Arya will return home to do...something.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Could be personal related but Martin had an interesting blog post last night.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/381923.html

Given his recent comments about being annoying by the "who is your fav character" questions this month, and his comment that Gatsby is one of his favorite characters...some folks on Reddit are wondering whether this is a hint that Martin just killed someone major off yesterday. Who knows.

I just can't see Tyrion or Arya dying in TWOW; I'd imagine at least one will die before the end of the series, but killing either in the penultimate book could be rather odd...especially if they don't make it back to Westeros. I assume Tyrion is going to return to Westeros and plot against the realm as Dany's most trusted political adviser. And I'd imagine Arya will return home to do...something.

Bye bye Asha.

That's probably a fair assessment I would say that is the Stark death that would probably hit the fanbase the hardest.

Well not only that, but I can't see her really doing anything important after the series ends.

Like, I can see Sansa being the Lady of Winterfell, and I can see Bran being a tree. But I don't see Arya becoming a professional assassin, or a wife and mother, which makes me think that her lifespan is confined to the length of the story itself.

Loke13

Well not only that, but I can't see her really doing anything important after the series ends.

Like, I can see Sansa being the Lady of Winterfell, and I can see Bran being a tree. But I don't see Arya becoming a professional assassin, or a wife and mother, which makes me think that her lifespan is confined to the length of the story itself.
My sentiments exactly she's seen a done way too many things for a child her age to ever really settle back down to normalcy with the rest of her family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom