• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ortix

Banned
That one isn't really controversial, is it?

As I understood it, this thing is about history + things to know about some families etc. R+L =J is accepted, not controversial. All the AA theories don't have anything to do with history. Same with ridiculous theories like Daario = Euron etc. This one just seemed the most logical to me.

Is there a new Winds preview chapter inside the World of Ice and Fire? Or anything that will be "new" to those of us who've read all the books and novellas?

Iksenpets

Banned
I could see them either giving a timeline of events during Tywin's reign as Hand that lines up with one of the Lannister children being Aerys', or I could see a Blackfyre family tree that gives credence to the idea that there's still a female line out there that Aegon could come from. I don't see how the book would touch on any Daario theories, and those are the only other ones I would really consider controversial.

Apparently stills from Season 5
show Tyrion hanging out at Daenarys's side. Sounds like they're going to be skipping a lot of awful pig-riding bullshit and Season 5 will start getting ahead of the books. Good.

show Tyrion hanging out at Daenarys's side. Sounds like they're going to be skipping a lot of awful pig-riding bullshit and Season 5 will start getting ahead of the books. Good.

Looks like he's costumed/disguised. My question: where is Barristan? Certainly he'd recognize Tyrion, even in a disguise.

Aiii

So not worth it
World of Ice and Fire is being delivered today
at home, where I'm not at, hopefully one of my neighbours can accept the package
, quite a surprise since it isn't supposed to be out until next week.

Walshicus

I'm off to Barbados next Friday and Amazon is listing both WoIaF (and the Xbox TV tuner) as being delivered on the Tuesday. Really don't want to have to wait until I'm back to read it.

jett

D-Member
at home, where I'm not at, hopefully one of my neighbours can accept the package

Really? Amazon hasn't even shipped mine yet. Says October 28.

Aiii

So not worth it
Really? Amazon hasn't even shipped mine yet. Says October 28.

Yep, really, they even send me two!
img-20141023-wa000493kvw.jpg

img-20141023-wa0006wokas.jpg

Brakke

Banned
I wish they'd collected up the Dunk and Eggs instead of doing this. I'm fiending for those so hard. I want them all in one place not piecemeal across a bunch of different collections.

May pick this World of Ice and Fire up as a stopgap though. Would love to pour myself into some Ice and Fire back-history of a rainy Sunday now that Autumn's upon us.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lucky bastard!

Looks even bigger than I thought. I'd like to know you're opinion on it!
It's huge, thick too. Quality is outstanding, illustrations are very well made, love the details in some of them. As for the contents, only a few pages in, naturally, it's written as if it was a legitimate history of the world as described by a Master of the Citadel. It gives small details of the world, s some of which you know from the books, some new or more detailed.

Regardless a fun read all around so far, so much content here though, gonna take a long time to get through it all. There's an Index and family trees and isa great companion book to the main series, I can see me found back to it many times to read up on stuff mentioned in the books.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I wish they'd collected up the Dunk and Eggs instead of doing this. I'm fiending for those so hard. I want them all in one place not piecemeal across a bunch of different collections.

May pick this World of Ice and Fire up as a stopgap though. Would love to pour myself into some Ice and Fire back-history of a rainy Sunday now that Autumn's upon us.
Still slated for 2015.

Chuckie

Where did you order it Aiii?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I'm curious to see which fan theories get backed up and which ones get disproven.

I don't think you can really use it to outright prove and disprove any theories. The conceit is the book's written by a Maester. Even if something in the book proves one thing or contradicts another, there might be some bias from the "author" or he's drawing from sources that are themselves biased.

Fjordson

Amazon says my copy is coming tomorrow, but it still hasn't shipped =\

I don't think you can really use it to outright prove and disprove any theories. The conceit is the book's written by a Maester. Even if something in the book proves one thing or contradicts another, there might be some bias from the "author" or he's drawing from sources that are themselves biased.
I think there are some theories that will be shot down. I was watching an interview with the two co-writers from Westeros.org and they said some theories get totally smashed, while others are possibly encouraged by new info (without being totally confirmed).

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm curious to see which fan theories get backed up and which ones get disproven.

Elio had a thing on Reddit recently where he seemed to imply that the section on Aerys' reign and his relationship with Tywin is very interesting, so now I'm worried that there's going to be evidence for the various "Lannister children are secret Targs" theories.

He also said that he dislikes any of the theories about Roose Bolton having any kind of magic or connection with the Others, the Grand Northern Conspiracy theories, and the Howland Reed = High Sparrow theories, so I doubt there will be any evidence for any of those.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm out.

I wonder what time Amazon will deliver the book to my iPad tomorrow. 12AM PDT?

Kuraudo

Banned
Has anyone's Amazon UK order shipped yet? They're doing that thing for me atm where they pretend it's not coming out until this time next month :/

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
At least your order has shipped :( I'm still "Preparing for shipment".
It hasn't shipped. Amazon.ca gives a big middle finger to all non-Prime orders. It's not like Prime is even worth it in Canada because there's no Amazon Instant here. All it's good for is faster shipping which is really just what regular free shipping used to be before Prime came to Canada.

RedShift

Has anyone's Amazon UK order shipped yet? They're doing that thing for me atm where they pretend it's not coming out until this time next month :/

Mine's dispatched, should get here tomorrow. It changed backwards and forwards about a hundred times but ended up sticking on the right date.

I heard something on Reddit about the date switching being due to them not having enough stock for everyone who preordered. Might be you were unlucky :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom