• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Judge

While I can see most of the points of the rant, it's negligent to complain about so few King's Landing/Riverlands and lack of Vale because we already knew beforehand that they weren't going to be in the book. The books were split geographically and AFFC covered those places while ADWD focuses on North/Essos.

Ramsay's letter is a mess, Stannis probably isn't dead nor captured. Theon/Jeyne were with Stannis so if Ramsay had actually won, he would have gotten Theon/Jeyne back or at least the knowledge of their presence. But somehow he thinks they're at the Wall? Ramsay is lying in half of that letter, Stannis is alive and that makes Davos' quest for Rickon still meaningful.

Jon's death scene seems to fit with Azor Ahai prophecy (bleeding star, smoke and salt), so it most certainly doesn't end his story at all.

As for Quentyn being useless, it's pretty much the contrary. His arc fills Dany's prophecy on the "when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east", so his appearance and quest was needed.

I actually liked Dany's chapters and they were my favorites in the book, but I'm not going to defend them. I enjoyed them a lot but I can see all the points people make about it not moving the story forward and being simply a place not important to Westeros.

3 Bran chapters is almost inexcusable, I agree. The same goes for Victarion's simply getting nowhere yet. And I was a bit underwhelmed with Tyrion's chapters too, except for the Aegon reveal and near the end outside Meereen walls.

All in all I was actually happy with the book although I also wished some plots were probed a bit further. Mostly the Stannis/Ramsay thing, it feels incomplete. A bit more of Meereen would be appreciated too. And, like you said, Bran and Arya's importance to the entire story... we have some ideas on Bran, at least. But what about Arya? All we can really speculate is among the lines of whom she's going to kill.

On the other hand, plenty of plots ended very well IMO: Davos story ended very satisfyingly, can't wait for more of him next book. Jon was a shock but we have hints on what's going to happen in the future for him. Connington/Aegon went even further than I was expecting, already taking castles in Westeros. We got info on what's going to happen with Oberyn's daughters and Arianne + Myrcella. Varys reappearing at the end and offing Kevan, which is sure to cause even more clusterfuck in King's Landing. Cersei naked walk of shame. Theon's de-Reek-ifying process. Dany getting away from Meereen and riding Drogon. A few Aryas that could have been in the last book though, no idea what George has in mind for her. And as of Bran, his chapters were great and we got to meet the 3EC and COTF so it was still satisfying, albeit small (like Davos).
The only complains I have really are Stannis/Ramsay mysterious outcome and the lack of the battle at Meereen with Victarion and Tyrion/sellswords. And apparently both of these were already written but George's editor told him to push to the next book because it was too big.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I don't think Quentyn was necessarily useless. I think his death will have an impact on the Martell's in the future like they support Aegon (fake or real) over Dany.

His POV wasn't needed for any of that. Giving him multiple POV chapters was pretty useless. It might be a relic from when Quintyn had a more active role in all that Merenese stuff. GRRM has spoken about how he restructured how everything went down multiple times before making Barristan a POV.

The problem I had was that around the halfway point of the book, if not earlier, the book presents this awesome scenario of 3 potentially major players- Tyrion, Young Griff, and Quentyn- all intent on partnering with Daenerys in some way, all moving together to the same point, all while Hizdrak lo Alltheirnamesarethesame proposes to her and Super Daario wants her as well. That situation alone- forget the Yunkaii or any wars- was such a potential explosive situation.

But in the end, Quentyn turned out to be nothing but a plot device to loose the dragons (I know there will be reprecussions in Dorne, but we didn't need POV chapters for this), Young Griff decided to just fuck off and go to Westeros (which in itself I have no problem with, since it was sure as fuck not something we're getting from a certain other Targareon), Tyrion doesn't even meet the damn queen, Daario gets sent away yet talked about ten times as much, and Hizdrar or whoever marries her.

One of the reasons I love this series so much is because Martin often plays against convention and expectation, but god damn, there was way too much 'build up -> fizzle' in this book.

And I realize I spelled probably everyone's name wrong in this post but oh well.

q_q

I think the main problem with AFFC and ADWD is that they work only as chapters in a larger saga. The first three books of the series worked well as individual novels and as parts of the whole. These last two not so much. They just aren't structured as well. You shouldn't have one Jaime chapter in ADWD and two Victarion chapters randomly thrown in with them and so on. The first three books had arcs for each of the POVs featured and each character got closure in one way or another in each book. That's not always the case in the last two books and I think that's one of the main problems with them.

tmdorsey

Another GAFer who just finished up ADWD and feeling good that I browse this thread and discuss this awesome story without fear of being spoiled about anything.

My favorite characters:

Jon,
Arya
Tyrion,
Daenerys

I truly hope the Boltons and Freys die in grand fashion and that Arya personally gets to mark Cersei off her list.

magicstop

Just finished reading aDWD this morning, and I'll be damned if I didn't almost ruin my iPad by throwing it across the room when Jon died . . . Same reaction I had to Ned and the red wedding, but those were paperbacks . . .
No complaints here. I'd be fishing if I had to name any. Only actual complaint is the next fucking decade we'll be waiting for the next book.

Ratrat

magicstop said:
Just finished reading aDWD this morning, and I'll be damned if I didn't almost ruin my iPad by throwing it across the room when Jon died . . . Same reaction I had to Ned and the red wedding, but those were paprbacks . . .
No complaints here. I'd be fishing if I had to name any. Only actual complaint is the next fucking decade we'll be waiting for the next book.
whats your avatar from?

Apath

tmdorsey said:
I truly hope the Boltons and Freys die in grand fashion and that Arya personally gets to mark Cersei off her list.
I don't even hate Cersei anymore. She seems pretty damn broken as is.

ronito

just finished it a few minutes ago. So many questions.

If quent was the fulfillling of the Sun rises in the west and sets in the east, how does that work out? Also what about the mountains blowing in the wind like leaves? The whole Quentyn thing seemed to me like Martin thought that Dorne would've sent someone to go for the queen but couldn't figure out how to close that loop. So in typical Martin fashion he killed them off. Also, I know I'm supposed to think "She's just a girl." but this Daario thing is enragingly stupid.

The Stannis letter. Obviously the Mance thing is true. And it's true that his bride is gone (though why he'd supposed she'd go north when he knows she's a fake is beyond me). Question is, how well known was it that Stannis had a magic sword? If it's not well known (which I don't think is true) then that lends creedence to Ramsay's letter. Another thing that makes me think it might not all be lies is that he threatens to come to the wall to get "his bride". Well, with winter snows coming and if Stannis were still alive I doubt that he'd have the ability to go North and Ramsay doesn't strike as a man that would make idle threats. He'd have to leave if Jon never showed and if he still thought that Stannis was out there waiting for him, I don't think he'd really do it.

What's with the children with Varys the ones that finished Pycell and Ser Kevan? Did I forget something? Or was Martin just going for some symbolism?

Also the whole Jamie thing was just strange. Put him in for one chapter then have him leave to find Arya with Sandor and never follow up on it?

Back to Stannis, I think he either is dead or will have to be soon. Martin is setting up for some Targaryean to come back into power. Stannis will not give up his claim or make way for someone else to take power. So he has to die. I wouldn't be surprised if Martin decided to kill him off here. But that doesn't make sense with the end of Asha's last chapter.

God I hope it's not another 6 years until the next book.

funk0ar

ronito said:
What's with the children with Varys the ones that finished Pycell and Ser Kevan? Did I forget something? Or was Martin just going for some symbolism?

Yeah what was this about i missed that to.

Jarmel

Banned
krameriffic said:
So I just finished ADWD and... ehhh....

Does it really irritate anyone else when he spends like 5 chapters hyping up a battle (in this case Stannis' battle for Winterfell) and then he doesn't actually write the battle from anybody's perspective? He just has a letter show up afterwards declaring its outcome? What kind of bullshit is that?

First of all, whenever things aren't first hand in his books, especially given his penchant for reviving characters previously thought to be dead like Catelyn, Davos, Brienne and possibly Gregor, it just leaves me thinking that he's bold-facedly lying to us. A two paragraph note from that douchebag Ramsay is NOT how you fucking conclude Stannis' epic journey through the course of the last few books. He spends hundreds of pages hyping him up, talking about the siege at Storm's End and the Battle of the Blackwater and how he smashed the Wildlings north of the Wall, and he fucking dies off screen for us to learn about it from a FUCKING LETTER FROM RAMSAY BOLTON?

And how does he follow it up? With the egregiously stupid and utterly unbelievable murder of Jon Snow at the Wall. I get that they were setting up a growing discomfort of the Night's Watch with his decisions as Lord Commander, but Bowen Marsh stabbing him to death just does not jive. Getting killed by the Queen's men, maybe, but I don't see that happening with the friendship he has kindled with all the Wildlings he has there. It's just such a pathetically unfitting conclusion to his story with no merit whatsoever. If his questionable decisions were his downfall, he should have died on his ranging to Hardholme, alone and freezing north of the Wall, not betrayed by his sworn brothers. Robb's death at the Red Wedding was shocking, but not completely unpredictable. Knowing the Frey's, it seemed a fitting response to his slight, a thematic lesson in the frivolities of youth and the downfalls they can bring upon a person.

Also speaking of the north, why did he bother to set up Davos' journey to find Bran, something that seemed likely to fit in with Stannis and Jon's plans for the north, but then just forget about it? What is the point of Davos doing anything now that Stannis and Jon are dead? What, was he smoking crack up his ass? And why do we spend so little time with Bran, a character of clearly great importance to the plot, and he gets like 2 chapters in the whole book. Wouldn't want to have too much intrigue in your book, Martin, or people might compare it to the masterpiece that was A Storm of Swords.

The book started off on a very high note and I had high hopes for where he was going with Tyrion and Jon and Bran and Daenerys, but they all went nowhere fast. His rationale for Daenerys twiddling her thumbs in Merreen for the entire course of the book was so flimsy it was painful, like a man with no bones in his arms trying to serve you coffee. Did she get hit in the head with a very large rock at some point without us knowing about it and simply forget that her goal was taking back THE SEVEN KINGDOMS OF WESTEROS and not trying to civilize a bunch of retard slavers on the other side of the planet who are of utterly no consequence whatsoever to the overarching plot of the book?

Barristan should have slapped that bitch silly and reminded her what she was in this gig for: the Iron Throne, not Slaver's Bay. We only had precious few moments spent in King's Landing and the Riverlands, but I still don't understand what the point is of Brienne (why is she still alive again? nevermind) and Jaime and Catelyn's little outlaw cakewalk. Instead of dedicating a few choice chapters to Littlefinger and Sansa, two characters in a very intriguing position at the end of AFFC (and fuck knows they were the only ones who did anything in that book) Martin just forgets about them ENTIRELY. Instead, he sends Jaime and Brienne out on a wild goose chase of extremely questionable pertinence to the plot of the story. How are the outlaws in the Riverlands ever going to matter? Why did he bring Catelyn back from the dead? She has appeared in all of two chapters since then and done NOTHING whatsoever.

More than anything, the book suffers from being unfocused and having a plot that meanders around for a thousand pages (just like AFFC). The only things that actually happen don't feel like they matter for one of two reasons. First, nothing that happens in Slaver's Bay COULD EVER matter short of Daenerys and the dragons dying or packing their bags and heading to Westeros with nary a backward glance (neither of which actually happens). Second, so much of it feels like Martin is hedging. Some aspect of Jon (maybe all of him) will live on through Ghost or some other hullabaloo involving his Warg abilities. I still don't buy that Stannis is out of the game just because of how pathetic the letter was as a storytelling mechanism (just like I didn't buy that Davos was dead in the last book from his head hanging on Manderly's gate). He's gonna find some way to have Connington and Aegon fart around in the south for half of the next book before actually doing anything. Gotta wait for Daenerys to get back on her meds and remember that she has dragons and a kingdom to take!

If instead of being told from 20 different viewpoints, it had focused on the ones that matter and stopped dicking around with shit nobody cares about, the book could have been excellent. He's got so many plotlines going on that it just feels like he doesn't know what to do with them all. I'm struggling even to recall them all and I just read the book over the last week. Quentyn Martell could have been cut entirely out of the book and it would have made no difference whatsoever (just say the dragons escaped). Give us some goddamn closure on what happened with Stannis, with Jon, with Daenerys, with Victarion and the Iron Fleet, and give us some clue as to why Arya and Bran's stories matter to the overarching plot. None of these things felt like they concluded a self-contained story arc within the book except maybe Stannis (and I still don't buy that he's dead).

As I sit here and think about it all, I find myself thinking more and more "man, I don't even care what happens in the end." Every character in the world is either incredibly stupid, lazy, corrupt, pathetic, weak or pious and almost none of them are likable anymore. It's supposed to be a dark fantasy, but when you paint everything as utterly bleak and stupid it's just as bad (if not worse) than painting everything as happy. Daenerys was supposed to be the saving grace. That's what they were building her up as, but then Martin downed a few more stupid pills and decided to write her as stupidly as he did many other characters.

Rant over.

And this is pretty much my feelings on the book. It just doesn't go anywhere. You could literally cut this book in half if not more, and not much would be lost.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've mentioned it before, but since I'm rereading certain parts I feel the need to mention again that Martin's obsession with describing food is absurd. Sometimes it feels like half the books (the last two especially) are just endless pages of descriptions of ridiculous meals. I don't know if he starves himself when he writes so he can't stop writing about food due to hunger or what the fucking deal is, but if I never read about fucking capons again it will be too soon.

Veelk

Banned
krameriffic said:
And how does he follow it up? With the egregiously stupid and utterly unbelievable murder of Jon Snow at the Wall. I get that they were setting up a growing discomfort of the Night's Watch with his decisions as Lord Commander, but Bowen Marsh stabbing him to death just does not jive. Getting killed by the Queen's men, maybe, but I don't see that happening with the friendship he has kindled with all the Wildlings he has there. It's just such a pathetically unfitting conclusion to his story with no merit whatsoever. If his questionable decisions were his downfall, he should have died on his ranging to Hardholme, alone and freezing north of the Wall, not betrayed by his sworn brothers. Robb's death at the Red Wedding was shocking, but not completely unpredictable. Knowing the Frey's, it seemed a fitting response to his slight, a thematic lesson in the frivolities of youth and the downfalls they can bring upon a person.

I won't comment on the rest, but this is just wrong.

Jon didn't die because he made poor decisions, he died because he made decisions that his brothers saw as poor. His decisions were actually quite good. With the peace he made with the wildlings, if the Night's Watch had accepted them, then things would have gone perfect. They now had a reliable source of food and thousands to add to the ranks in preparation for the war on the Others. Bowen Marsh and Jon had respect for one another, but they weren't buddy buddy. And while we see the respect Jon has for his brothers and rationale of why he goes against them anyway, he never says this to any of them, because Jon follows Ned's code of "You may love your sworn men, but you can never be friends with them." From the Watch's view, Jon is simply mad. He is literally giving the Wall to what they all considered to be sworn enemies. The wall was their advantage over the wildlings and once they are brought over, they could betray them and take the wall at any moment. And then, after everything he does, he announces he is going to abandon them. They basically see him as the Watch version of Aerys, the Mad King. Or at the very least, someone who is completely and unapologetically screwing them. Jon's assassination is really quite beautifully executed and it makes his the best story in the book.

re: Varys' children

those were his "little birds"- children he's trained to eavesdrop and report information to him.

Knowing what we know and assume about Jon Snow's death and warging abilities and whatnot...

I know this is far out there, but is there any chance Ned Stark warged into something else? I know the books never gave any evidence that he could do it, but most, if not all of his children seemingly can, and for some reason I'm guessing it's not from the Tully blood.

siddx

tmdorsey said:

I really really hope the same things, which is why Martin's super trolling ass won't have it happen. Hell the boltons and freys will probably end up winning the fucking war and fucking the corpses of all our favorite characters just because it's "not what we expect! hurhur!"

Nlroh

I just don't understand the reason everyone loves Jon. Every person I've asked answers "OMG I love Jon". I suppose this is a personal problem but I just find him to be one of the most boring characters in the series.

Could someone explain me what makes Jon interesting?? I really want to like him but it seems like I just can't.

Veelk

Banned
Nlroh said:
I just don't understand the reason everyone loves Jon. Every person I've asked answers "OMG I love Jon". I suppose this is a personal problem but I just find him to be one of the most boring characters in the series.

Could someone explain me what makes Jon interesting?? I really want to like him but it seems like I just can't.
You don't have to if you don't want to. Opinions, der. I mostly find Jon interesting because the happenings on the wall are interesting. The conflict with the wildlings and the threat of the Others. Jon, the character himself, is an okay read for me. He's the archtypical fantasy hero in an unconventional fantasy, and he's constantly trying to do the right thing, but struggles between his personal desires as well as his wonderings on what the right thing really is. He just generally always seems to be in a "Fuck my life" mindset, but makes it a point to come through no matter what, for honor or whatever. I can see how people think he's more boring than other characters, but I think he's alright.

tmdorsey

Kenak said:
I don't even hate Cersei anymore. She seems pretty damn broken as is.

Naw, she's not. Once she finds out that Kevan is dead and Robert Strong wins her freedom she will be back to being despicable and destroying people lives out of stupid paranoia again.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
tmdorsey said:
Naw, she's not. Once she finds out that Kevan is dead and Robert Strong wins her freedom she will be back to being despicable and destroying people lives out of stupid paranoia again.

The church's champion is going to kill Robert Strong once and for all.

Nlroh said:

I don't love the character of Jon, but he's had some of the most entertaining parts of the story-- going undercover, battling zombies, etc.

q_q said:
I think the main problem with AFFC and ADWD is that they work only as chapters in a larger saga. The first three books of the series worked well as individual novels and as parts of the whole. These last two not so much. They just aren't structured as well. You shouldn't have one Jaime chapter in ADWD and two Victarion chapters randomly thrown in with them and so on. The first three books had arcs for each of the POVs featured and each character got closure in one way or another in each book. That's not always the case in the last two books and I think that's one of the main problems with them.
It would be nice if Martin (or a fan) came up with a new chapter index comprising AFFC and ADWD, spacing the POV chapters in a logical way.

ultron87

Jarmel said:
And this is pretty much my feelings on the book. It just doesn't go anywhere. You could literally cut this book in half if not more, and not much would be lost.

It goes somewhere. The part that makes it a poorly constructed novel is that for the vast majority of the characters they never actually get there.

It really felt like half of the characters needed about 2 more chapters to actually finish what their plot in the book was about. If they had had those I would feel way better about the book as a whole.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Mike Works said:
I know this is far out there, but is there any chance Ned Stark warged into something else? I know the books never gave any evidence that he could do it, but most, if not all of his children seemingly can, and for some reason I'm guessing it's not from the Tully blood.

i hope not

krameriffic said:
So I just finished ADWD and... ehhh....

Does it really irritate anyone else when he spends like 5 chapters hyping up a battle (in this case Stannis' battle for Winterfell) and then he doesn't actually write the battle from anybody's perspective? He just has a letter show up afterwards declaring its outcome? What kind of bullshit is that?

First of all, whenever things aren't first hand in his books, especially given his penchant for reviving characters previously thought to be dead like Catelyn, Davos, Brienne and possibly Gregor, it just leaves me thinking that he's bold-facedly lying to us. A two paragraph note from that douchebag Ramsay is NOT how you fucking conclude Stannis' epic journey through the course of the last few books. He spends hundreds of pages hyping him up, talking about the siege at Storm's End and the Battle of the Blackwater and how he smashed the Wildlings north of the Wall, and he fucking dies off screen for us to learn about it from a FUCKING LETTER FROM RAMSAY BOLTON?

Also speaking of the north, why did he bother to set up Davos' journey to find Bran, something that seemed likely to fit in with Stannis and Jon's plans for the north, but then just forget about it? What is the point of Davos doing anything now that Stannis and Jon are dead? What, was he smoking crack up his ass? And why do we spend so little time with Bran, a character of clearly great importance to the plot, and he gets like 2 chapters in the whole book. Wouldn't want to have too much intrigue in your book, Martin, or people might compare it to the masterpiece that was A Storm of Swords.

The book started off on a very high note and I had high hopes for where he was going with Tyrion and Jon and Bran and Daenerys, but they all went nowhere fast. His rationale for Daenerys twiddling her thumbs in Merreen for the entire course of the book was so flimsy it was painful, like a man with no bones in his arms trying to serve you coffee. Did she get hit in the head with a very large rock at some point without us knowing about it and simply forget that her goal was taking back THE SEVEN KINGDOMS OF WESTEROS and not trying to civilize a bunch of retard slavers on the other side of the planet who are of utterly no consequence whatsoever to the overarching plot of the book?

Barristan should have slapped that bitch silly and reminded her what she was in this gig for: the Iron Throne, not Slaver's Bay. We only had precious few moments spent in King's Landing and the Riverlands, but I still don't understand what the point is of Brienne (why is she still alive again? nevermind) and Jaime and Catelyn's little outlaw cakewalk. Instead of dedicating a few choice chapters to Littlefinger and Sansa, two characters in a very intriguing position at the end of AFFC (and fuck knows they were the only ones who did anything in that book) Martin just forgets about them ENTIRELY. Instead, he sends Jaime and Brienne out on a wild goose chase of extremely questionable pertinence to the plot of the story. How are the outlaws in the Riverlands ever going to matter? Why did he bring Catelyn back from the dead? She has appeared in all of two chapters since then and done NOTHING whatsoever.

More than anything, the book suffers from being unfocused and having a plot that meanders around for a thousand pages (just like AFFC). The only things that actually happen don't feel like they matter for one of two reasons. First, nothing that happens in Slaver's Bay COULD EVER matter short of Daenerys and the dragons dying or packing their bags and heading to Westeros with nary a backward glance (neither of which actually happens). Second, so much of it feels like Martin is hedging. Some aspect of Jon (maybe all of him) will live on through Ghost or some other hullabaloo involving his Warg abilities. I still don't buy that Stannis is out of the game just because of how pathetic the letter was as a storytelling mechanism (just like I didn't buy that Davos was dead in the last book from his head hanging on Manderly's gate). He's gonna find some way to have Connington and Aegon fart around in the south for half of the next book before actually doing anything. Gotta wait for Daenerys to get back on her meds and remember that she has dragons and a kingdom to take!

If instead of being told from 20 different viewpoints, it had focused on the ones that matter and stopped dicking around with shit nobody cares about, the book could have been excellent. He's got so many plotlines going on that it just feels like he doesn't know what to do with them all. I'm struggling even to recall them all and I just read the book over the last week. Quentyn Martell could have been cut entirely out of the book and it would have made no difference whatsoever (just say the dragons escaped). Give us some goddamn closure on what happened with Stannis, with Jon, with Daenerys, with Victarion and the Iron Fleet, and give us some clue as to why Arya and Bran's stories matter to the overarching plot. None of these things felt like they concluded a self-contained story arc within the book except maybe Stannis (and I still don't buy that he's dead).

As I sit here and think about it all, I find myself thinking more and more "man, I don't even care what happens in the end." Every character in the world is either incredibly stupid, lazy, corrupt, pathetic, weak or pious and almost none of them are likable anymore. It's supposed to be a dark fantasy, but when you paint everything as utterly bleak and stupid it's just as bad (if not worse) than painting everything as happy. Daenerys was supposed to be the saving grace. That's what they were building her up as, but then Martin downed a few more stupid pills and decided to write her as stupidly as he did many other characters.

Rant over.
That letter was obviously a lie, though as Jon said there were strokes of truth in it. Didn't the banker who came upon Stannis already say that Winterfell was a ruin? Seems to me like Winterfell destroyed itself, as it seemed bubbling up to do with the Freys and whatnot.

I have to agree everything seems like Martin threw everything in the air at once to see where they'd land but somebody has hit the anti-gravity switch and now all this shit has been floating around for far too long.

I don't think the Quentyn story will prove useless. I think it'll prove the difference between Danerys gaining the support she'd need in Westeros and not. By the time she gets there, I think Dorne will be against her. She will be an invader, not a returning Queen.

In any case, I really grew to like the Mereen story. I realised early in the story when Tyrion's path was obviously going elsewhere, that Martin is painting a picture of the whole world not just Westeros. I have begun to find the Eastern lands much more interesting.

I hope things come together in the next book. There's still so much potential, it does feel like he is just setting out all the pieces for what is to come. But right now, if words are wind, then Martin has been blowing a hurricane for the past ten years

Mike Works said:

those were his "little birds"- children he's trained to eavesdrop and report information to him.

Knowing what we know and assume about Jon Snow's death and warging abilities and whatnot...

He didn't have a dire wolf. That doesn't suggest anything by itself but the Stark children were "meant" to have those wolves, right?

pr0cs said:
sounds like Connington to me

I can't believe people are so anxious to get the story done and HAS to be done in 2 books. I guess I'm the kind of reader that hopes stories as good as these never end.. do you sit back during a great movie and say "shit when will this awesomeness end?"
I'd be happy for it to go beyond two more books if Martin was 42... But he's not, he's 62

siddx

I agree that the eastern lands are more interesting, I just don't understand why Martin writes everyone from there as if they are mentally retarded sociopaths.

Kammie

I finished ADWD yesterday. I enjoyed it while reading it but in retrospect I feel stinging disappointment with the last 100 or so pages. Nothing that needs to be reiterated since most people feel the same.

What pissed me off the most was that Tyrion spent most of the book bumbling about and jousting on pigs with a mummer dwarf. Is nothing sacred in this series??? If the next book is ever finished I hope Penny dies a slow, painful death.

Chuck Norris said:
He didn't have a dire wolf. That doesn't suggest anything by itself but the Stark children were "meant" to have those wolves, right?
Couldn't the warg in the prologue shift into most any animal?

tokkun

Mike Works said:

He could do different ones. He believes he could have stolen Ghost from Jon if he wanted to. He does mention some animals that you can't tame, such as cats, though Arya ironically (or perhaps meaningfully) wargs to a cat later in the book.

Famassu

krameriffic said:
A two paragraph note from that douchebag Ramsay is NOT how you fucking conclude Stannis' epic journey through the course of the last few books. He spends hundreds of pages hyping him up, talking about the siege at Storm's End and the Battle of the Blackwater and how he smashed the Wildlings north of the Wall, and he fucking dies off screen for us to learn about it from a FUCKING LETTER FROM RAMSAY BOLTON?
1) Stannis might not be dead yet.

2) Even if he is, what makes you think we will not hear how he died later on? Asha or Theon could be alive and we might get flashbacks of the event.

First of all, whenever things aren't first hand in his books, especially given his penchant for reviving characters previously thought to be dead like Catelyn, Davos, Brienne and possibly Gregor
It's not reviving if they were never dead (with the exception of Catelyn)...

And how does he follow it up? With the egregiously stupid and utterly unbelievable murder of Jon Snow at the Wall.
It's not unbelievable at all. The Night's Watch basically has tons of those stupid, biased rasists who don't have any logical reason to hate the wildlings, at least not a majority of them. And... really, are you forgetting that most of the NW is filled with rapers, murderers and other (ex-)low-life scum? Not really that far-fetched that they would take to solving something they don't like with a knife, like they probably did in their past lives. And don't forget what happened to the PREVIOUS Lord Commander, who made much less drastic decisions than Jon, yet paid with his life for it.

I get that they were setting up a growing discomfort of the Night's Watch with his decisions as Lord Commander, but Bowen Marsh stabbing him to death just does not jive. Getting killed by the Queen's men, maybe, but I don't see that happening with the friendship he has kindled with all the Wildlings he has there.
Why would the Queen's men have ANY reason to kill Jon? If anything, THAT would've been incredibly stupid and unbelievable.

It's just such a pathetically unfitting conclusion to his story with no merit whatsoever. If his questionable decisions were his downfall, he should have died on his ranging to Hardholme, alone and freezing north of the Wall, not betrayed by his sworn brothers. Robb's death at the Red Wedding was shocking, but not completely unpredictable. Knowing the Frey's, it seemed a fitting response to his slight, a thematic lesson in the frivolities of youth and the downfalls they can bring upon a person.
Are you kidding me? Martin even goes as far as to having Melisandre bring up the knives in the dark time & time again, yet Jon does nothing to prepare the possibility of it, blind of the growing unrest & contempt for his decisions. The betrayal was really easy to foresee, I just wasn't sure if Martin would go through with it and it happened in a situation where (at least) I was getting pumped up about Jon kicking Ramsay's ass and wasn't even thinking about any possible betrayals at that moment, which made the even that much more shocking (for me).

Also speaking of the north, why did he bother to set up Davos' journey to find Bran, something that seemed likely to fit in with Stannis and Jon's plans for the north, but then just forget about it? What is the point of Davos doing anything now that Stannis and Jon are dead? What, was he smoking crack up his ass?
Davos isn't going to find Bran, he's going to find Rickon. It's important regardless of Jon & Stannis, since he's the only known (real) Stark to be alive by other than just one or two characters. Even if Stannis & Jon die, there are still people in the North who want the Southern people the fuck out of Winterfell, having a true heir to Winterfell would certainly help their cause.

And why doesn't he follow up on Davos after setting up his search? Maybe because nothing happens during his trip to the island where Rickon is? You bitch about Martin having some pointless chapters and then suggest he should have added more chapters about people travelling from point A to point B?

And why do we spend so little time with Bran, a character of clearly great importance to the plot, and he gets like 2 chapters in the whole book. Wouldn't want to have too much intrigue in your book, Martin, or people might compare it to the masterpiece that was A Storm of Swords.
Because there's only so much greenseer training you can have in the book? Same reason why Arya doesn't get too many chapters. It could go overboard really fast if Bran's chapters were all just about somewhat confusing visions of the past (or present) that most people don't have the knowledge to decipher them with. It's more interesting to read about the progress they've made in their training (i.e. Arya successfully assassinating that one guy with her clever plan, Bran "reaching out" to Theon) than reading more about the actual training.

The book started off on a very high note and I had high hopes for where he was going with Tyrion and Jon and Bran and Daenerys, but they all went nowhere fast.
How do they not go anywhere? Tyrion goes from not giving a shit about anything & being almost suicidal to being in a somewhat influential position (possibly somewhat in control of the Second Sons) and interested in doing something with his life again (well... revenge, at least). Jon acts as the Lord Commander, makes A LOT of hard decisions (takes wildlings in, mans other castles with them, takes a loan he knows the Night's Watch probably has no way of repaying, deals with Stannis etc.) and makes the decision to see that Ramsay doesn't wreck havok at the Wall. Bran doesn't have that many chapters in the book, true, but enough happens in the chapters he DOES have (and, actually, even in non-Bran chapters) that I don't see why you are complaining. Dany tries to rule Meereen, her dragons kill people, her enemies try to negotiate with her and when she doesn't give in to their demands, they declare war against her, she gets married and so on and so on. Plenty happens. You just think you know better than Martin how Dany's story should advance (or where it's leading) and don't like that she's not in Westeros yet.

His rationale for Daenerys twiddling her thumbs in Merreen for the entire course of the book was so flimsy it was painful, like a man with no bones in his arms trying to serve you coffee. Did she get hit in the head with a very large rock at some point without us knowing about it and simply forget that her goal was taking back THE SEVEN KINGDOMS OF WESTEROS and not trying to civilize a bunch of retard slavers on the other side of the planet who are of utterly no consequence whatsoever to the overarching plot of the book?
And you know the slaves have no consequence... how? Has the final book been released already? Are you one of those people who think Westeros is the sole important place in ASOIAF? If all that happens in Essos leads to, say, Dany demolishing slavery on the continent (it could happen if she wins against the Slavers), is that not a big enough event to justify her being there? The books have ALWAYS had two sides, Westeros & Essos, even if the Others have seemed like the Big Bad Threat that's the most important one of them all. But Dany's chapters have had a strong Essos & anti-slavery focus. Even if her ultimate goal is the Iron Throne, it doesn't mean that what she does in Essos has of no consequence to the world of ASOIAF.

And (one of the) the point(s) of ADWD's Dany chapters was that Dany lacked experience as a ruler, it was underlined in ASOS when she didn't really know what the hell she was supposed to do with the people who thought of her as their Queen (if she doesn't know what to do with a bunch of ex-slaves & the like, how on earth would she know what to do with a kingdom, let alone seven of them?). She hadn't been trained for it like Viserys and Aegon had/have been. She was just the expendable little girl no one gave a shit about as anything else but a bargaining chip. Now she is in control of Meereen and she knows she doesn't know one thing about actually being a Queen. That leads to her making bad decisions and trying to approach the situation in Meereen the wrong way. By the end of ADWD, she realizes what she needs to do, or at least seems to realize.

Barristan should have slapped that bitch silly and reminded her what she was in this gig for: the Iron Throne, not Slaver's Bay.
Thousands of people think of her as their Queen (or "mother"), are you saying she should've just abandoned them all? How is that, AT ALL, like Daenerys? Or good story-telling, for that matter? That's not something Barristan would've wanted either. If you think so then you obviously have no understanding of the kind of character Barristan is.

We only had precious few moments spent in King's Landing and the Riverlands, but I still don't understand what the point is of Brienne (why is she still alive again? nevermind) and Jaime and Catelyn's little outlaw cakewalk.
Why is Brienne alive? Because her "fate" is (currently) tied to Jaime's. And she's had plenty of "use" in past books. She was one of the catalysts that begun the change in Jaime in ASOS, she could be used to show the state of Westeros in AFFC in addition to showing & hinting some other things (Clegane's alive, other people are, of course, searching for Sansa and are possibly having better luck with it than Brienne etc.).

King's Landing & Riverlands aren't focused on for the simple reason that they were the focus in AFFC already and ADWD only starts to add those chapters in when the story has reached the point in ADWD.

Instead of dedicating a few choice chapters to Littlefinger and Sansa, two characters in a very intriguing position at the end of AFFC (and fuck knows they were the only ones who did anything in that book) Martin just forgets about them ENTIRELY.
Heh, Sansa's role in AFFC is pretty much the TINIEST part of AFFC. Read the book again if you think otherwise, plenty of other characters do so much more than Sansa and have a bigger role in what AFFC is about. Brienne for one.

Instead, he sends Jaime and Brienne out on a wild goose chase of extremely questionable pertinence to the plot of the story. How are the outlaws in the Riverlands ever going to matter? Why did he bring Catelyn back from the dead? She has appeared in all of two chapters since then and done NOTHING whatsoever.
Catelyn has been doing nothing? Uhh... Killing countless Freys and other people responsible (more or less directly) of her son's death is not "nothing", and they could come to play with an even bigger role in the future, at least as far as solving the situation in Riverlands goes.

More than anything, the book suffers from being unfocused and having a plot that meanders around for a thousand pages (just like AFFC).
Unfocused? This isn't true at all. There's a clear focus in almost everything in ADWD. Dany is trying to rule Meereen but is failing in it, Tyrion is climbing up from a deep hole of depression and getting back into the game he had no passion for anymore after ACOK/ASOS, Jon is only starting as a LC and later on is trying to do things to ensure they'd have a stronger Wall for when the Others end up attacking it, Theon goes from being the miserable broken rat into being Theon again and so on with the other characters.

And AFFC isn't that way at all either, other than maybe Brienne's chapters but those were really interesting & helpful in fleshing out Westeros.

The only things that actually happen don't feel like they matter for one of two reasons. First, nothing that happens in Slaver's Bay COULD EVER matter short of Daenerys and the dragons dying or packing their bags and heading to Westeros with nary a backward glance (neither of which actually happens).
Like I said before, this is only true if you have the misconception that Westeros is all that matters.

None of these things felt like they concluded a self-contained story arc within the book except maybe Stannis (and I still don't buy that he's dead).
Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Theon, Aegon/Connington and Quentyn all had quite clear story arcs within the book and Bran, Arya, Sansa, Cersei & Jaime were continuing theirs that have been set up before. And given that this is just one big story, I don't see why it seems so important to you to force Martin to add self-contained story arcs for every character in every book. Life doesn't always work that way, neither should books (or any storytelling mediums)

Mike Works said:
I know but I'm saying all the Wargs have shown an affinity with some animal that Ned never had. Or at least showed

It's not unbelievable at all. The Night's Watch basically has tons of those stupid, biased rasists who don't have any logical reason to hate the wildlings, at least not a majority of them. And... really, are you forgetting that most of the NW is filled with rapers, murderers and other (ex-)low-life scum? Not really that far-fetched that they would take to solving something they don't like with a knife, like they probably did in their past lives. And don't forget what happened to the PREVIOUS Lord Commander, who made much less drastic decisions than Jon, yet paid with his life for it.

I personally find it unbelievable that Jon didn't keep some friends close at all times as a personal guard, after seeing what happened to Mormont

Chuck Norris said:
I personally find it unbelievable that Jon didn't keep some friends close at all times as a personal guard, after seeing what happened to Mormont

To be fair, Jon wasn't there and didn't actually SEE what happened to Mormont, that was Sam (who Jon sent away, so he wasn't around to give warning)

platypotamus said:
To be fair, Jon wasn't there and didn't actually SEE what happened to Mormont, that was Sam (who Jon sent away, so he wasn't around to give warning)
He totally knew though. And he had plenty of interaction with people who were there.

elrechazao said:
He totally knew though. And he had plenty of interaction with people who were there.

Yeah, not disagreeing with the point as a whole, as it IS pretty baffling that Jon didn't learn some sort of lesson from the untimely demise of his predecessor. Just wanted to point out that he did only hear about things from the handful of survivors that made it back from that pretty hellish ranging, and perhaps didn't see the danger as applicable in the relative safety of the wall.

tokkun

Chuck Norris said:

Pride comes before the fall. Pretty much the story of Jon's arc.

NimbusD

Mike Works said:

Now for some of my own postulating.

I think the warging comes from tully AND stark blood. Remember how the lady at winterfell who talked to Reek the whole time wanted to Marry Ned's older brother but mentioned that maesters had their own plan for him to marry a tully? Maybe they were, idk, genetically engineering a warg...

Most likely not but when I read it the first time I was convinced that I figured out a hidden plot except that Jon Snow shits on that whole theory (and it's a half retarded theory anyway).

tokkun

NimbusD said:
Now for some of my own postulating.

I think the warging comes from tully AND stark blood. Remember how the lady at winterfell who talked to Reek the whole time wanted to Marry Ned's older brother but mentioned that maesters had their own plan for him to marry a tully? Maybe they were, idk, genetically engineering a warg...

Most likely not but when I read it the first time I was convinced that I figured out a hidden plot except that Jon Snow shits on that whole theory (and it's a half retarded theory anyway).

Sounds like a Frank Herbert plotline. I think her point was that Rickard Stark was ambitious and wanted to marry his kids to great houses. Brandon to Tully and Lyanna to Baratheon.

Just to comment on Jon, I feel like the guys in the Nights Watch who took him down at the end weren't doing so the same way that Mormont was murdered. I think that they realized that without Jon, they would completely fall to Melisandre and the Queen, and that they need Jon at the wall... They also need him to be Lord Commander. By injuring him seriously enough, they'll be making him stick at the wall. This is, of course, all going on the notion that Jon does not actually die and does not warg out into a man-wolf... I'm totally figuring he's going to rise the same way that Tyrion did after "what came next was blackness," where he almost drowns.

The Wall would have completely fallen had Jon actually led an army to Winterfell, his guys were keeping him there by hurting him.

Of course, we're led to believe he was being murdered and that he died, but unless I see a head roll, then I'm not going with the idea that Jon is dead.

Veelk

Banned
platypotamus said:
Yeah, not disagreeing with the point as a whole, as it IS pretty baffling that Jon didn't learn some sort of lesson from the untimely demise of his predecessor. Just wanted to point out that he did only hear about things from the handful of survivors that made it back from that pretty hellish ranging, and perhaps didn't see the danger as applicable in the relative safety of the wall.
It should also be noted that it's not like Jon didn't do anything with the people he trusted. He sent them to man the castles along the walls. He couldn't send anyone else or otherwise they'd just conspire against him from afar, so he sent people he trusted. But yeah, I don't think he ever even considered that his brothers would betray him.

Pollux

The Albatross said:
Just to comment on Jon, I feel like the guys in the Nights Watch who took him down at the end weren't doing so the same way that Mormont was murdered. I think that they realized that without Jon, they would completely fall to Melisandre and the Queen, and that they need Jon at the wall... They also need him to be Lord Commander. By injuring him seriously enough, they'll be making him stick at the wall. This is, of course, all going on the notion that Jon does not actually die and does not warg out into a man-wolf... I'm totally figuring he's going to rise the same way that Tyrion did after "what came next was blackness," where he almost drowns.

The Wall would have completely fallen had Jon actually led an army to Winterfell, his guys were keeping him there by hurting him.

Of course, we're led to believe he was being murdered and that he died, but unless I see a head roll, then I'm not going with the idea that Jon is dead.

You think the guys in the Night's Watch actually thought that far ahead? That was a spur of the moment anger shanking that wasn't thought out and will spark a all out "civil war" between the Snow Faction and the Old School Faction.

While I agree that he's either gonna get up like Tyrion did after falling in the river, are warg into Ghost, there is no way that it was a ploy to injure him so that he would stay on the wall.

EDIT: Kinda forgot this thread existed. Wow, i've missed a boat-load of discussion.

apana

tokkun said:
Sounds like a Frank Herbert plotline. I think her point was that Rickard Stark was ambitious and wanted to marry his kids to great houses. Brandon to Tully and Lyanna to Baratheon.

I have a feeling Rickard Stark was building these alliances to attack the Targaryens at some point in the future. I remember Bran's vision about the women at the Weirwood who asked for a son to avenge her. Did all those visions he had take place at Winterfell's heart tree?

Pollux

apana said:
I have a feeling Rickard Stark was building these alliances to attack the Targaryens at some point in the future. I remember Bran's vision about the women at the Weirwood who asked for a son to avenge her. Did all those visions he had take place at Winterfell's heart tree?
I think so.

tmdorsey

I was thinking about this the other night. So do you guys think Stoneheart is the curse brought upon the Freys for their violation of the guest right?

Pollux

tmdorsey said:
I was thinking about this the other night. So do you guys think Stoneheart is the curse brought upon the Freys for their violation of the guest right?

Nah....Stoneheart is just an angry undead woman.

Mordeccai

I've got a question for you all; not sure if I fell asleep while reading this one late night or what have you, but where is the plotline where Davos goes to find Rickon started? I honestly don't remember reading it. And, truth be told, I can't put together why Stannis would send Davos to find him. Was Stannis even told that Bran and Rickon are alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom