• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Saleh, popular YouTube racist, kicked off Delta plane for being a jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't make assumptions if someone drives a semi into a crowd and kills a dozen innocent people! It could have been an accident!

Make assumptions ignoring someone's history and past behaviours airline and all passengers are obviously racist!

You people crack me up.

For that person "posting pranks and being an ass" was enough to question his credibility as actually being a victim of unfair treatment. That to me is insulting his job.

Me defending prankster as a job is me defending this man as a person? Really? I think president is a good job, but that doesn't mean I like Trump now, does it?

You want people to hold themselves accountable for doing something you disapprove of but that isn't against the law? How exactly does that work?

If the majority of people disapprove of something that is legal, it means it goes against social norms. And if more people are supporting that person rather than condemning/outlawing them, then what that person has done does not violate social norms. So as I originally said the problem is with the people, as they are the enablers.
To you that's insulting his job. Keywords there are To you. To me it looked like you were defending the guy and not his job. Hell even the poster you quoted said you jumped to conclusions.
It's clear were not going to see eye to eye so let's stop going off topic.

Don't make assumptions if someone drives a semi into a crowd and kills a dozen innocent people! It could have been an accident!

Make assumptions ignoring someone's history and past behaviours airline and all passengers are obviously racist!

You people crack me up.

Honestly people are just use to seeing people do racist things. Simple as that.

Saiyu

You people crack me up.

MtZ9N.gif

Ulysses 31

I can understand airlines erring on the side of caution and looking bigoted if it means preventing even one real terrorist attack.

Which is why this thread is pretty shit. Precedent for this (his claims) happening multiple times before should lead to a discussion of discrimination based on absolutely no evidence, and not whether this is some elaborate (or not so elaborate) hoax, which is entirely ignoring the real issue.

I guess I interpreted the arguments here incorrectly if that isn't the case.

If almost anyone else had made this claim, I'd believe them instantly. But this is a guy who has literally made videos in the past that boil down to 'Lets get on a plane and try and make all the white people think we're terrorists'. i'm not going to automatically believe him when he says he got threw off a plane for simply speaking another language, and I think anyone who would is enabling him. If it turns out that this is what happened, then that really sucks and is of course part of a bigger issue, but I'm not going to take his version of events at face value.

Nothing here is ignoring the bigger issue, but this thread is about this one specific incident and stems from someone with a history of (and a motive to continue) making videos where he pranks white people with his brown skin. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went too far, got asked to leave and decided to lie about what happened because he's done it before.

Kisaya

No one deserves racism, but if you're someone who exploits on Islamophobia... should we be sympathetic? It's distracting honestly to the actual discrimination Arabs and brown people have to deal with.

justjohn

If almost anyone else had made this claim, I'd believe them instantly. But this is a guy who has literally made videos in the past that boil down to 'Lets get on a plane and try and make all the white people think we're terrorists'. i'm not going to automatically believe him when he says he got threw off a plane for simply speaking another language, and I think anyone who would is enabling him. If it turns out that this is what happened, then that really sucks and is of course part of a bigger issue, but I'm not going to take his version of events at face value.

Nothing here is ignoring the bigger issue, but this thread is about this one specific incident and stems from someone with a history of (and a motive to continue) making videos where he pranks white people with his brown skin. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went too far, got asked to leave and decided to lie about what happened because he's done it before.
Not sure why he doesn't get something so simple. Really bizarre

Opto

Banned

You people crack me up.
It's not like racists have ever commonly ousted people on airplanes. While truck attacks in Europe have happened a total of twice now, with most causalities involving trucks end up being accidents.

Buzzati

Banned

Thank you

Famassu

I think in these kinds of situations, the racist fucks should be thrown out of the plane and forced to find another flight if they aren't capable of basic human decency, not innocent people who just speak a different language. -_-

And conservatives say liberals are scared pussies, these idiots shit their pants when they see anybody that looks different from them and buy into the fear mongering.

Alpha_eX

yeah, i watched those and changed my mind

although i still think his video is real based on the strangers reactions

I totally believe him getting kicked out is 100% real and the clappers saying bye makes me sick to my stomach, but I think he was kicked out as a result of a similar prank.

Saiyu

God fucking damn it

Why did this guy have to be a total dickhead? This shit actually happens to some of us. Ugh.
Yup. And we don't hear about them:

The Council on American-Islamic Relations said that in the last year it had received nearly a dozen reports of Muslim travelers, or travelers who were perceived to be Muslim, being questioned or removed from flights after complaints.

Italian economist Guido Menzio was questioned during a domestic flight when a passenger complained that a differential equation he was working on made her suspicious. Khairuldeen Makhzoomi, a student, was removed from a Southwest Airlines flight and questioned by the FBI in April after a passenger heard him speaking in Arabic to his uncle, he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/21/adam-saleh-delta-flight-arabic

Not that I support everything CAIR does, but still

Buzzati

Banned
Yes, and? Is counting down a crime now????

He's purposely trying to get a rise out of people in that video and even his friend is cautioning against it. It's not a crime to count down, which is why he wasn't arrested - but Delta can take you off the plane if they feel there's suspicious activity. Now I don't know this for certain, but it could be a possibility that he tried to get a rise out of people again, and maybe he went too far this time. Do you accept that possibility?

Dopus

Banned
I've seen a good few of their videos and 'pranks'. And then there was the Joey Boots incident. It wouldn't surprise me if he was purposely pushing the boundaries, trying to get a reaction as a 'social experiment' that went wrong and spiralled out of control.

That said, if he wasn't and it was an innocent call then of course the fault lies with the racist passengers and delta airlines. It would be unacceptable.

The wider point here though is that regardless of whether he was trying to incite a reaction. this sort of thing has happened before and will happen again with innocent passengers who are racially profiled and attacked by those who are racist and prejudice.

zeemumu

So is the general consensus that everyone in the story is an ass? The passengers for being racist, him for being a prankster, and Delta for multiple reasons?

Not sure why he doesn't get something so simple. Really bizarre

Because this sort of thing happens uncomfortably frequently, and shouldn't be muddied by some jackasses history of pranks. It's happened in the past and it will happen again, which is the large issue at hand.

Obviously that's not the argument of the sceptics in this thread, who are mostly just focusing on this one individual, and not arguing against my point apparently.

MUnited83

For you.

You people crack me up.
Because there isn't a fuckload of cases of people being blocked or kicked from flights for stupid racists reasons. Yeah right.

Let's not err on the side of caution? ¯\ (º_o) /¯

Before 911 I'd tell them to lighten up, Y so serious? Post 911 I assume they have a zero tolerance policy and so airports/airplanes aren't a place to pull pranks like he has in the past.

You're using stop-and-frisk logic here; unconstitutional, offensive and wrong.. You can miss me with the profiling, or giving in to the whims of bigoted pearl clutchers.

jett

D-Member
Regardless of why he was kicked off the plane he is almost literally the boy who cried aldhdhib. If he's legitimately being discriminated against then we can still be mad at delta and the passengers.

But if people are suspicious of him, that's his fault 100%. This is not victim blaming. Guy exploits islamophobia to get views and has lied about plane pranks.

He has already lost his moral right to presumption of innocence. He still has the legal benefit.

Let's see if another shoe drops.

Indeed.

Fletcher

I guess my question is what would stop me then from saying those people who were uncomfortable with the language being spoken then made me feel uncomfortable?

necrosis

So is the general consensus that everyone in the story is an ass? The passengers for being racist, him for being a prankster, and Delta for multiple reasons?

i think so

personally i feel that being a prankster is a lesser crime than being a racist, though, and (to my knowledge) it hasn't actually been determined if this specific situation resulted from a prank or not. i can understand viewing this as a "boy who cried wolf" scenario, but fuck racists

justjohn

i think so

personally i feel that being a prankster is a lesser crime than being a racist, though, and (to my knowledge) it hasn't actually been determined if this specific situation resulted from a prank or not. i can understand viewing this as a "boy who cried wolf" scenario, but fuck racists
He makes racist pranks videos on YouTube. This guy is not worth any sympathy whatsoever.

If someone is joking about bombings or flight disasters pre-flight and the staff ushers them out, I can totally see a bunch of people waving 'bye' just as a gesture of relief. If dude was being an ass I can get people being snarky as he leaves.

But nobody knows! We need statements from someone, anyone

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
In a phone interview Wednesday from Heathrow before he and Mr. Albaher boarded a new flight, Mr. Saleh insisted this was not a stunt: “The only thing I can say is, I would never film a phone video. That’s when it’s really serious, and I must film.” His video camera was in his luggage.

Delta is reviewing the incident. Morgan Durrant, a spokesman for the airline, said in a statement that two passengers had been removed from the flight after “a disturbance in the cabin resulted in more than 20 customers expressing their discomfort.”

He did not identify the passengers nor would the airline elaborate on the statement.

“We are taking allegations of discrimination very seriously,” it said. “Our culture requires treating others with respect.”

Camilla Goodman, a spokeswoman for London’s Metropolitan Police, confirmed that two passengers had been removed from the flight and that they “didn’t do anything lawfully wrong.” They were not arrested, she said. Mr. Saleh and Mr. Albaher later boarded a Virgin flight to New York.

In Periscope videos and the interview with The Times, Mr. Saleh and Mr. Albaher gave their version of events.

Mr. Saleh said he had just spoken to his mother on the phone, in Arabic, to tell her when his flight would land. After the call, he and Mr. Albaher continued to speak briefly in Arabic, when they were interrupted by a woman in front of them who asked them to speak English because they were making her uncomfortable.

They did not respond aggressively, Mr. Saleh said, but told her that they were speaking Arabic and asked whether she had ever heard another language. Then, Mr. Saleh said, a man with a British accent who appeared to be traveling with her swore at them and said that they be “chucked” off the plane.

“At this point, me and Slim looked at each other,” Mr. Saleh said in the interview. “We didn’t know what to do. We felt like we were terrorists.”

The situation escalated, Mr. Saleh said, and other passengers joined in asking that Mr. Saleh and Mr. Albaher be kicked off the plane. Some of them mentioned Monday’s terrorist attack in Berlin, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/world/delta-air-lines-adam-saleh.html

I'd like to hear what these two passengers have to say about this. He sounds like he didn't do anything. This is an interesting story. Maybe the epitome of crying wolf. Where he does this over and over, and becomes the victim of real racism. We'll see.

The part that starts to convince me is that his video camera was in his luggage.

Audioboxer

His pranks are lame and inflammatory sometimes, but I wouldnt call them racist pranks.

Because he is not a typical white male? I'm sorry, but if it was that descriptor that tried to pull those same pranks many on GAF would be losing their shit. Treat as equals, it's a baited prank to try and fuel race/ethnicity/culture wars. No respect should be given for such pranks, regardless of who does them. I'm happy to see members from Muslim/Islam/Arabic-GAF call him out. All he does is further divides and in this case actually hurt himself with his past antics meaning he isn't getting instant benefit of the doubt.

The airline and passengers can be called out themselves when it's proven it's not this guy acting out again. It's looking like it may well be real this time, but he has dug his own grave of scepticism given his past. Hence how he HURTS perceptions and causes, not does them any favours with his videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom