• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Saleh, popular YouTube racist, kicked off Delta plane for being a jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is assuming he's guilty of actual disruption, but just because he posted a video in the midst of being kicked from the plane doesn't prove his story either. There aren't enough facts. I guess you're just defending the guy because in a court of law you're innocent until proven guilty. But this is an internet forum and everyone thinking there's two sides to every tale is completely right to question what's going on. I'm just saying none of us should be arguing about it. I hope the detectives of the Internet get to the bottom of it though. For all of our sakes.

That's not what's happening though, nor what I'm railing against.

I have no problem with people questioning his motives or his account (kinda fruitless until some more information comes to light though)...

It's the drawing of conclusions directly against his account, in the complete absence of any justifiable evidence to back up such a position (outside of ad hominem) which I draw umbridge with...

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Because it does happen to people. If this is fake, it doesn't help the cause of those who really had to go through it.

But if it's fake that means there weren't a plane full of racists, and this guy was just a jackass.

I'll take it either way, I'm just really interested to see the outcome.

But if it's fake that means there weren't a plane full of racists, and this guy was just a jackass.

I'll take it either way, I'm just really interested to see the outcome.

That's not necessarily true either though, unless they were all in on it...

At which point aren't they all jackasses?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
That's not necessarily true either though, unless they were all in on it...

At which point aren't they all jackasses?

When there's a guy playing a prank that's disrupting the other people on the plane. Planes are no place for pranks.

Plane full? Only a few said bye. The rest were probably just observing.

Yeah, they said 20 people complained. That's a lot. I didn't mean 100% racist packed plane.

That's not what's happening though, nor what I'm railing against.

I have no problem with people questioning his motives or his account (kinda fruitless until some more information comes to light though)...

It's the drawing of conclusions directly against his account, in the complete absence of any justifiable evidence to back up such a position (outside of ad hominem) which I draw umbridge with...

I hear ya. This entire situation is upsetting to me for a variety of reasons. I should really get back to my morning though instead of getting caught up in it.

Buzzati

Banned
When there's a guy playing a prank that's disrupting the other people on the plane. Planes are no place for pranks.

Yeah, they said 20 people complained. That's a lot. I didn't mean 100% racist packed plane.

20 people complained? So, the story is that there were 20 people on that flight that took umbrage with him speaking Arabic to his mother on the phone?

This isn't really credible in my opinion. It could be true, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
It's as credible as the guys story. It's enough for me to adopt a wait and see attitude before passing judgement.

20 people complained? So, the story is that there were 20 people on that flight that took umbrage with him speaking Arabic to his mother on the phone?
Yeah, while possible seems unlikely. More likely is they heard he pulls prank YouTube videos and don't want to be made out to look like a jerk for millions of people to see online.

Buzzati

Banned
It's as credible as the guys story. It's enough for me to adopt a wait and see attitude before passing judgement.

Yeah, while possible seems unlikely. More likely is they heard he pulls prank YouTube videos and don't want to be made out to look like a jerk for millions of people to see.

Well the likeness of those passengers has been distributed to millions of people within hours with the top-trending hash-tag and tweets on twitter bemoaning them as racists. Let's hope the more unlikely scenario is true.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm going to be suspicious of claims made by anyone that is part of the people on youtube that do "social experiments" and fake stunts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-responds-youtube-star-adam-saleh-arabic-discrimination-accusation/

Saleh has a history of posting prank videos designed to look like the real thing, including an infamously faked viral video that alleged to have shown anti-Muslim bias from the NYPD.

In 2014, Saleh’s video “RACIAL PROFILING EXPERIMENT!” showed him and friend staging a fight twice in front of an alleged police officer, once in Western street clothes, and once in Muslim clothes. The Smoking Gun revealed the hoax relatively quickly, but two years later, as of Wednesday morning, Saleh still does not indicate that the video was staged in its description.

In February 2016, Saleh posted a video of a self-described “social experiment” in which he counts down from 10 in Arabic aboard a plane.

Just last week, Saleh was called out for faking a video allegedly showing him sneaking onto a flight inside a suitcase.

Audioboxer

Actually surprised there aren't cameras with mics in the cabins of planes nowadays given all the security measures.

Actually just wondered why the hell this hasn't happened long before now?

BUT MY PRIVACY!

It's a "public" space. I mean they don't need cameras in the toilets, and there shouldn't be (only smoke detector), but the cabin? I would support this 100%. Heck if it could somehow record footage that gets stored in the "black box" it could be helpful for many things.

Maybe it's a cost thing for the airlines?

Calamari41

41 > 38
In February 2016, Saleh posted a video of a self-described “social experiment” in which he counts down from 10 in Arabic aboard a plane.

This behavior should get you kicked off a plane no matter what language you're doing it in. That has the very real potential to cause a legitimate panic, and he knows it, which is why he did it. It's one short step removed from a blatant "I have a bomb" threat.

Not sure why people are still indicating that they take his word at face value as it pertains to the story in the OP, after all of this other stuff has surfaced.

Audioboxer

But this time he real!

Either this is deeply ironic, or he's a jackass.

Quite probably both.

This behavior should get you kicked off a plane no matter what language you're doing it in. That has the very real potential to cause a legitimate panic, and he knows it, which is why he did it. It's one short step removed from a blatant "I have a bomb" threat.

Not sure why people are still indicating that they take his word at face value as it pertains to the story in the OP, after all of this other stuff has surfaced.

It is acting suspicious and as you stated is done because counting down from 10 on an aeroplane in today's climate in any language is potentially going to unsettle. Why? Who the fuck counts down from 10 let alone any number on a plane? Counting down tends to trigger association in anyone's head with something happening at 0. Especially if you are audibly counting down to get the attention of those around you. It doesn't necessarily need to go to instantly being chucked off, but being questioned what the hell you are doing?

As I said, plane etiquette, get on plane, sit down, listen to music/watch shit, eat, take a dump (pls don't), sleep, get off plane at destination. Success. No one bothered you, and you didn't bother anyone else. Anyone wanting to veer outside standard decency when we're all crammed into a metal flying tube and I'm going to question what your agenda is and/or why are you being a nuisance? The biggest nuisance I expect on a plane is children kicking seats, which I'll tell their parents about, drunk people, who can be ejected and other normal human annoyances. Not asshats counting down to try and get a reaction or any other shit for their reactionary YT page.

Thats the thing, obviously there are shitty and racist people everywhere, but the fact that 1/3 of the plane was acting this way? Usually it's one or two racists in this scenario.

see5harp

There's nothing wrong with producing video content on you tube to make a living but you make it real easy to talk shit when all you produce is fake shit.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There's nothing wrong with producing video content on you tube to make a living but you make it real easy to talk shit when all you produce is fake shit.

Hey what's up guys. I'm Joey Salads, and today I'm gonna be doing a social experiment.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Thats the thing, obviously there are shitty and racist people everywhere, but the fact that 1/3 of the plane was acting this way? Usually it's one or two racists in this scenario.

We don't know what he actually did to cause this reaction. Only what he says he did.

Given his past MO, I would bet that he wasn't just causally chatting on the phone in a different language.

If you watch the video, this guy and the guy he's talking to are clearly acting.

Nevasleep

Mr. Saleh said he had just spoken to his mother on the phone, in Arabic, to tell her when his flight would land. After the call, he and Mr. Albaher continued to speak briefly in Arabic, when they were interrupted by a woman in front of them who asked them to speak English because they were making her uncomfortable.

They did not respond aggressively, Mr. Saleh said, but told her that they were speaking Arabic and asked whether she had ever heard another language. Then, Mr. Saleh said, a man with a British accent who appeared to be traveling with her swore at them and said that they be “chucked” off the plane.

“At this point, me and Slim looked at each other,” Mr. Saleh said in the interview. “We didn’t know what to do. We felt like we were terrorists.”
That does sound like a dumb fuck British couple who voted Brexit lol.

I feel sorry for Delta tbh, a very good airline in a tough situation, 20 people isn't a small number on a plane.

As an Arab-American myself, I will say *if* this is a hoax, it's DAMAGING the very real prejudice and racism that's out there by playing these stupid ass pranks. This will belittle and delegitimize the real shit Muslims and Arabs get in this country and absolutely does not help.

Just saw the responses on Twitter, and this isn't his first time doing a prank on an airplane (GONE SEXUAL).

So no, I won't defend the guy until more facts come up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW_eO1qc8BU&t=11m

Watch the video again, he's not even shouting the numbers. And you wouldn't even know they are numbers if you don't know Arabic. He gets a white dude from behind to join in. It shouldn't get you kicked off a plane. What are the legal grounds for that? Without legitimate reasoning to kick him off and instead relying on hypothetical fear, you're just opening yourself to being sued and losing that case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIu2wJDqYnU&t=11m

Watch the video again, he's not even shouting the numbers. And you wouldn't even know they are numbers if you don't know Arabic. He gets a white dude from behind to join in. It shouldn't get you kicked off a plane. What are the legal grounds for that? Without legitimate reasoning to kick him off and instead relying on hypothetical fear, you're just opening yourself to being sued and losing that case.

Pretty sure Charles' Christmas Message 2016 isn't what you meant to link to...

x-Lundz-x

Linked the wrong video.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This thread is now bifurcated into the very real and reasonable issue of racism and profiling in air travel and the very real and reasonable suspicion that this guy is actually contributing to the problem and is a demonstrable liar and attention seeker.

As an Arab-American myself, I will say *if* this is a hoax, it's DAMAGING the very real prejudice and racism that's out there by playing these stupid ass pranks. This will belittle and delegitimize the real shit Muslims and Arabs get in this country and absolutely does not help.

Yep. This.

Calamari41

41 > 38

I hadn't actually watched the video, just read that summary, and it seems like he caused no reaction because he counted down in a subdued manner. But attempting to cause a panic is definitely legal grounds for removing someone from a plane. Same reasoning that you would detain someone who started shouting about a bomb. Obviously he would have had to count down in a different manner than he actually did to cause a panic, but surely you can see why some would find that threatening?

Edit: haha, thanks for editing to link the right video

I really want to see how that phone convo with his mother went. If he was shouting and yelling at her, no matter what the language, he probably was asked by passengers and attendants to quiet down. And if you don't obey their request, you'll get kicked off the plane. Need to wait for more info to come out....

LordKasual

Banned
I can't feel bad for this guy when his youtube page has plenty of pranks that involve sparking stereotype-based fear...including ones involving planes.

He got kicked off this plane, but I just watched a video where he probably set an entire flight on edge by deliberately inferring he was counting down a bomb detonation.

Usually these stories can be taken at face value, this one cannot. There's a very real possibility he incited this reaction for views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom