• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Saleh, popular YouTube racist, kicked off Delta plane for being a jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amon-Lau

As an Arab-American myself, I will say *if* this is a hoax, it's DAMAGING the very real prejudice and racism that's out there by playing these stupid ass pranks. This will belittle and delegitimize the real shit Muslims and Arabs get in this country and absolutely does not help.
Agreed, I may not be an american but as someone living here I hate people faking these issue...

Doesn't help I got a flight in a few days, crap like this always makes me nervous when I fly...

Audioboxer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW_eO1qc8BU&t=11m

Watch the video again, he's not even shouting the numbers. And you wouldn't even know they are numbers if you don't know Arabic. He gets a white dude from behind to join in. It shouldn't get you kicked off a plane. What are the legal grounds for that? Without legitimate reasoning to kick him off and instead relying on hypothetical fear, you're just opening yourself to being sued and losing that case.

I would hope it would be as I said above, you'd be questioned first on what you are doing, well in advance of asking to leave. Planes aren't for social experiments, they are for travelling from point A to B. It is human decency not to turn a flight into your playground.

You have to at least accept counting down is as I said above as well, representative or an apparent expectation for something to happen at zero. If you want to fly from point A to B like a normal citizen, don't do shit on a plane of all places that at best can even just be considered strange behaviour. Airlines already advise us when we check in if we see anything strange to report it. Security is of massive importance, so don't fuck around on a plane and then cry about it if you knowingly behave weird, strange or with a motive to cause a reaction.

An airline could be sued for acting inappropriately without cause, hence why as I said you'd hope an airline would first investigate and question the passenger on what the hell they are doing. People just do not get on flights and count down for no apparent reason, these YT chaps would have to accept that if they were questioned.

Naudi

Banned
If I was on a plane and something like this happened as a "prank" I would be uneasy until he's off the plane. Or I would take another flight. The 9/11 images are burnt in our brains and I don't believe anyone on here that says they would just laugh something like that off and not for a second think he may be a terrorist.

If this turns out to be a hoax then fuck this dude. Belittling a serious problem that many people face just for some fucking likes.

It is acting suspicious and as you stated is done because counting down from 10 on an aeroplane in today's climate in any language is potentially going to unsettle. Why? Who the fuck counts down from 10 let alone any number on a plane? Counting down tends to trigger association in anyone's head with something happening at 0. Especially if you are audibly counting down to get the attention of those around you. It doesn't necessarily need to go to instantly being chucked off, but being questioned what the hell you are doing?

As I said, plane etiquette, get on plane, sit down, listen to music/watch shit, eat, take a dump (pls don't), sleep, get off plane at destination. Success. No one bothered you, and you didn't bother anyone else. Anyone wanting to veer outside standard decency when we're all crammed into a metal flying tube and I'm going to question what your agenda is and/or why are you being a nuisance? The biggest nuisance I expect on a plane is children kicking seats, which I'll tell their parents about, drunk people, who can be ejected and other normal human annoyances. Not asshats counting down to try and get a reaction or any other shit for their reactionary YT page.

But this isn't about what bothers you on the plane, it's about being chucked off, so I don't see a point about bringing up your pet peeves about how people should act on a plane. Just because this nuisance is new to you, doesn't mean it's any worse than someone reclining on you from the front.

Yes, a drunk person can be taken off the plane because drinking can lead to violence, and there's precedent to that. Doing a countdown that has negative consequences has no precedent.

Verelios

But this isn't about what bothers you on the plane, it's about being chucked off, so I don't see a point about bringing up your pet peeves about how people should act on a plane. Just because this nuisance is new to you, doesn't mean it's any worse than someone reclining on you from the front.

Yes, a drunk person can be taken off the plane because drinking can lead to violence, and there's precedent to that. Doing a countdown that has negative consequences has no precedent.
Well, uh...okay

Audioboxer

If you cannot answer why you are doing it, then yes, it sets a precedence that you are being a nuisance and not complying with air staff. That can be a reason to be asked to leave. These staff have been trained to take a flight and cabin harmony/security to a level of seriousness that some of us may take for granted.

As I said, do not go on a plane and purposely act weird or strange and then not expect to get questioned. How is that hard? How is counting down from 10 in anyway necessary when flying on a plane? It is simply a social experiment as absolutely no sane and ordinary person gets on a plane and counts down. Which is what makes it stand out as not ordinary behaviour. Unless you have of course been on many flights where this happens all the time?

jett

D-Member
The best part is that the bystander in the OP video sitting in front of him who turns around and expresses solidarity and his disbelief at the situation also happens to be in this guy's other videos helping out with the pranks.

wow really?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The best part is that the bystander in the OP video sitting in front of him who turns around and expresses solidarity and his disbelief at the situation also happens to be in this guy's other videos helping out with the pranks.

For fuck's sake.

EDIT: C'MON, GUY

x-Lundz-x

Was thinking the same thing but I really don't want to give this fucking asshat any more views on his videos.

LordKasual

Banned

But counting down on an airplane triggers an association that nobody has to explain and everyone naturally would fear. Especially when simply traveling by air is already a soft spot for some people's nerves.

And this shit happened in London.

Audioboxer

But counting down on an airplane triggers an association that nobody has to explain and everyone naturally would fear. Especially when simply traveling by air is already a soft spot for some people's nerves.

And this shit happened in London.

Well it triggers an expectation that something will happen at 0, as I said. Maybe you'll just loudly fart, maybe shout happy birthday, or maybe people have been conditioned via media, tv, books and so on to associate a countdown with an explosion/fireworks/etc.

Precisely WHY such social pranksters DO a countdown. They know what it triggers in peoples minds and are trying to bait a reaction, then flip said reaction on its head and call the people assholes. The airline still has a responsibility to initially proportionately react, which is why I said question first. However given the stigma associated with counting down and the heightened security on an airplane you can expect staff with zero tolerance for suspicious behaviour. How many cabin staff routinely see people counting down from 10? As I questioned Messofanego above asking him if he has been travelling on planes where people seemingly do it all the time.

But this time he real!

Either this is deeply ironic, or he's a jackass.

Yeah he got exactly what he wanted. Publicity for his channel. So, congratulations to him, I guess?

And the next time someone legitimately has an incident like this, people will assume it's another hoax.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm going to be suspicious of claims made by anyone that is part of the people on youtube that do "social experiments" and fake stunts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-responds-youtube-star-adam-saleh-arabic-discrimination-accusation/

didn't we just recently have a dude get ousted for pulling fake shit this year with neighborhoods and african americans?

It seems like anyone with social experiments is immediately, fuck any story and wait because of how they work and make money

fucking youtube stunt folks

Audioboxer

didn't we just recently have a dude get ousted for pulling fake shit this year with neighborhoods and african americans?

It seems like anyone with social experiments is immediately, fuck any story and wait because of how they work and make money

7OQ1ujW.png

Damn that is savage.

If he's been discriminated on this time around talk about a massive case of the boy who cried wolf.

Delta so far

“Maintaining a safe, comfortable and orderly onboard environment is paramount for every flight and requires the cooperation of all of our customers in conjunction with adherence to directions from our crew members. This is a Delta policy and is required by U.S. regulations as well as others governing aviation worldwide.

“Two customers were removed from Delta flight 1 departing London-Heathrow today after a disturbance in the cabin resulted in more than 20 customers expressing their discomfort.

“We have spoken with the customers who were removed; they were rebooked on another flight. Plans are in place to immediately speak with our crew and other passengers when the flight lands this afternoon. We will provide an update once we have more information.”

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Joey Salads, yeah. He made some extremely racist videos portraying BLM supporters as crazy lunatics.

Yeah i think it was Joey Salads who hired some African Americans to vandalize his car with "Trump" stickers on it to make it seem like Trump supporters are victimized by black people. Unfortunately a lot of Youtube pranksters have realized its easier to make a video when you just pay willing actors to participate

ViciousDS

Banned
Joey Salads, yeah. He made some extremely racist videos portraying BLM supporters as crazy lunatics.

Yeah i think it was Joey Salads who hired some African Americans to vandalize his car with "Trump" stickers on it to make it seem like Trump supporters are victimized by black people. Unfortunately a lot of Youtube pranksters have realized its easier to make a video when you just pay willing actors to participate

I just.......don't know what to say anymore

see5harp

The sad this is that people on facebook legit believe these videos. Like the silly ass breastfeeding in public ones. I've actually tried telling people that they are fake and staged and people just respond "well the message is true."

Audioboxer

I just.......don't know what to say anymore

$$$

Some folk will do just about anything for it.

I am JoeySalads, I do Pranks and Mind Blowing Social Experiments.

Mind blowing indeed. As in taking a gun and blowing your our brains out over the stupidity.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Youtube should stop monetizing prank videos that are a public disturbance. Shit like this is an extravagant waste of everone's time.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
The sad this is that people on facebook legit believe these videos. Like the silly ass breastfeeding in public ones. I've actually tried telling people that they are fake and staged and people just respond "well the message is true."
People in this thread are suffering the very same fate.

see5harp

I have no problem with legit funny prank videos like farting on your friends face while he sleeps. But if that's your video your ass better be legit farting on your friends face.

Audioboxer

People in this thread are suffering the very same fate.

We don't quite know that yet, just given the individuals past antics it's best to wait till the airline releases an investigation from questioning flyers and staff. Of course to hear more from Adam as well, but if 20 people did complain it will be worth hearing what all 20 say.

The M.O.B

Youtube should stop monetizing prank videos that are a public disturbance. Shit like this is an extravagant waste of everone's time.

Never going to happen

Many of the top Youtubers are pranksters or ex-pranksters.

Magic of Rahat
Roman Atwood
Prankvsprank
Fouseytube
Remigaillard

and the top one probably being VitalyzdTv who has something like 10 million subs

shanafan

If someone is joking about bombings or flight disasters pre-flight and the staff ushers them out, I can totally see a bunch of people waving 'bye' just as a gesture of relief. If dude was being an ass I can get people being snarky as he leaves.

But nobody knows! We need statements from someone, anyone

I agree. There is no context why the people are saying bye, rather than words spoken by a prankster in his own video. If he was trying to cause a scene by doing his prank and disturbing the flight, I am sure people were happy to see him leave.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

This is absolutely something that could be made policy. And they wouldn't even have to argue about freedom of speech with idiots who don't understand the first ammendment. they could simply create a paperwork barrier - sure, send us releases for every person in the video.

If I was on a plane and something like this happened as a "prank" I would be uneasy until he's off the plane. Or I would take another flight. The 9/11 images are burnt in our brains and I don't believe anyone on here that says they would just laugh something like that off and not for a second think he may be a terrorist.

What?

There's no way I would think that but I live in Canada.

ty_hot

How fucked up is the mind of a person that does this:

"a woman in front of them who asked them to speak English because they were making her uncomfortable.

She was the one that should have been banned from the flight. You are not confortable with someone speaking another language? OFC. If it was a french person or a japanese she would act be unconfortable as well? with all this trump/brexit stuff people feel that they have to RIGHT to be openly racists.

A good tweet about the episode, by Glenn Greenwald:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/811546855934935040?lang=pt
ciR9zO8.png

Audioboxer

How fucked up is the mind of a person that does this:

"a woman in front of them who asked them to speak English because they were making her uncomfortable.

She was the one that should have been banned from the flight. You are not confortable with someone speaking another language? OFC. If it was a french person or a japanese she would act be unconfortable as well? with all this trump/brexit stuff people feel that they have to RIGHT to be openly racists.

A good tweet about the episode, by Glenn Greenwald:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/811546855934935040?lang=pt
ciR9zO8.png

If this turns out to be a hoax though I wonder what Glenn will say then? >_> As others have already said using a hoax to say "but the message is good!" is not the way such behaviour should be rewarded.

If it wasn't coming from the source it is less people would be displaying skepticism. Right now people are waiting for the damn planes to land to get more information.

droggg

Because it does happen to people. If this is fake, it doesn't help the cause of those who really had to go through it.

I have such a hard time wrapping my head around this logic, saying you hope this is real seems sick to me. You hope this guy had to experience racial discrimination and unjustly get removed from an airplane to prove that it happens to other people? Why would you wish that on somebody? We don't need this one example to validate all those who have experienced racial discrimination, the less people that do the better imo.

Audioboxer

I have such a hard time wrapping my head around this logic, saying you hope this is real seems sick to me. You hope this guy had to experience racial discrimination and unjustly get removed from an airplane to prove that it happens to other people? Why would you wish that on somebody? We don't need this one example to validate all those who have experienced racial discrimination, the less people that do the better imo.

Nah man, that is some gross simplification of that post. It's not that he hopes it is real, but hopes someone would not joke/prank around a topic this serious. You can hope both things at once, even although one is going to be the answer. As in to both hope it's not real because discrimination like this is abhorrent, and hope it's not fake because as as I said, it takes a pretty twisted individual to fake something like this for monetary gain.

With how viral this has gone and FB/YT metrics, if it turns out to be fake (or he's actually been ejected for being an asshat) then enjoy your "well earned" fame/money Adam.

Wrong. But then again I have good friends from Morocco, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and Jordan, so it looks like my purview is much different from yours because I have a much different experience.

lol

Totally missed the point bro...

Audioboxer

Oh man I laughed way more than I should've.

I think it's a chuckle moment when you see what is probably otherwise a professional company feed take the time to swat down a misleading YT "celeb". They done it in a slightly snarky, but still professional enough way. Even more savage would have been "We have footage of you boarding the plane jacktrettonmicdrop.gif". Most companies aren't interested in memewars though.

For me everyone comes out of this looking bad.

Him if he is really faking it for youtube views (and contributing to the fear mongering towards other muslims)

The bigots in the background waving and thinking they have some kind of victory here

The airline for giving in to this scenario yet again.

If this turns out to be a hoax then fuck this dude. Belittling a serious problem that many people face just for some fucking likes.

Welcome to youtube. There is no holds barred. Do anything to get views and get that money. Prank your friend with kidnapping and death. Turn racism into a Prank. Whatever goes! Thanks google!

LordKasual

Banned
sorry, there's just too much evidence against this guy to take his account as genuine.

doing pranks, crying wolf, and making videos about it for entertainment? This guy isn't raising awareness, he's part of his own problem. He's just making it worse.

If any definitive proof comes out that this guy was deliberately inciting this altercation, then it could potentially provide enough Islamophobe ammo to set everyone back months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom