• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

Rutger

Banned
No dub will already hurt their sales lol. Maybe. I'm definitely not buying it anymore. It just kind of sounds like they have absolutely no interest in a dub whether it's this release or a future release.

Maybe, I'm not convinced it will hurt it a ton yet though. It's hard to judge off of just those that are unhappy about it on the internet, we will not know until we see the sales on it.

I can't imagine that keeping up a dub at the level the series is known for is easy as the number of actors they need to hire for each game continues to increase, so who knows what the future will hold.

cm osi

Member
i think no dub for a fighting game is not a big deal. and even if it's heavy on story, do you need 8 month to dub it?
welcome to #notyournativelanguagedub, america. i live here since i started gaming

cj_iwakura

Member
I'm up for anything at this point. #Beggarscantbechoosers

I think Aksys need to be taken to task, and maybe if, just if, something picks up enough momentum, they'll have to change their minds. Social media can be very effective, if leveraged properly.

but the game is arriving in the West intact with the same content in the original release, just with English text and interface.

This is actually not true. The mid-battle quotes that change in certain character matchups add a lot of character to these games. By removing the English dub and not adding in subtitles, Aksys is basically removing that element of the game entirely - an element featured in all previous BlazBlue games, that is still being presented to the Japanese audience but is now removed for international audiences. Disappointing that Aksys cares so little about fan goodwill.

A lot of voice actors tend to at least expect it as consistent work after so many years, as it's a job to look forward to being paid for. "Oh, I voiced this character for 8-15 years. I was partially responsible for even dubbing the anime adaption for them. They know me. I worked for them as not just as a voice actor but behind the scenes but also as a localizer and promoter and... they couldn't even give me a head's up that I won't have a job on this one."

Yeah, it's common decency.

Tell that to David Hayter sometime

This is actually not true. The mid-battle quotes that change in certain character matchups add a lot of character to these games. By removing the English dub and not adding in subtitles, Aksys is basically removing that element of the game entirely - an element featured in all previous BlazBlue games, that is still being presented to the Japanese audience but is now removed for international audiences. Disappointing that Aksys cares so little about fan goodwill.

i honnestly can't remember any mid battle quote that isn't present in the story in some shape or form

Those quotes are not that important because the story and the pre battle dialog does give the player the same information.
There is nothing in those mid - battle quotes that aren't found in the other modes ...

That's my understanding .. i really don't remember anything worthwhile in term of story or character building exclusive to this part of the game

so, this is pretty obnoxious from aksys at this point

3 days ago:
gaeRWUU.png

not sure on dub, still a possibility, but unlikely. Out of aksys control

2 days ago:
crDC1kB.png

Aksys made a (dumb) decision but are standing by it. Not pictured a few posts where they start telling the two people that agreed with them how smart the decision was

Yesterday:
MzONjPM.png

LOL why you talking to Aksys, this is all on arc

Like, what the fuck are you even doing aksys, to requote page 1
Aksys has turned into such a shit company.

whatever, in the end I dont care about who or why, its just confusing how they are treating this. I care that its gone and one of my favorite things has been removed from one of my favorite series

Reading Patrick Seitz's post again after letting it sizzle for a while
After all this time, it hurts to be told that we’re not so central to the fiction after all.
After reading comments on 6 different websites, it definitely seems that regardless that Aksys and ASW believe that, the overwhelming amount of fans disagree

Its just the internet so maybe it wont make a difference in the grand scheme, but this does look like it will affect the bottom line. Unfortunately, as Patrick said it, even if the sales are bad they will most likely assume it has nothing to do with the dub and just use the decreased revenue of the series as an excuse to not dub future titles.

eefara

Member
So what's the correct route to take with this?

Buy anyways?
Wait and buy?
Boycott?

All three routes have poor outcomes for the franchise.

Depends on what you mean by "correct". Buy anyways supports the developer/publisher, but gives the impression that a lack of dub isn't important to you.

Wait and buy (firsthand, I assume) still supports, though at a lower price point.

Waiting and buying secondhand is essentially going to have the same message as boycotting, I would think.

Boycott sends the message that there's something about the product that rubs people the wrong way (in this case, probably the lack of dub).

It's difficult to say what kind of message will be communicated with options two and three. While there's a decent amount of outcry on the internet at the moment about the dub situation, delaying or boycotting a purchase could be due to a multitude of reasons, ranging from "no dub" to "I'll wait for extend" to others.

If you're upset about the lack of dub, options 2 and 3 plus solid and timely (i.e. not 6 months from now) communication to Aksys about why you're not buying seem to be your best bet.

Import. Send a message. They'd be idiots not to see why.

by raising the sales in japan , you'd send a message about the localisation ?
i don't see the logic.

Don't you expect the prospec of less sales of localisaed games to send the wrong message about future titles ?

by raising the sales in japan , you'd send a message about the localisation ?
i don't see the logic.

Don't you expect the prospec of less sales of localisaed games to send the wrong message about future titles ?
import is the recommendation for the competitive community (which has had a surprisingly negative reaction to this as well. I expected it to really just be me)

For anyone else, I'd recommend used or total boycott

So is Aksys responsible or not? They're telling some people they made a decision and are responsible while at the same time passing the blame on to other people and saying it's out of their hands. Which is it?
no fucking clue honestly, which is why I had to post that. As I said whatever reasoning or who to blame doesnt matter to me, I just want it fixed

import is the recommendation for the competitive community (which has had a surprisingly negative reaction to this as well. I expected it to really just be me)

For anyone else, I'd recommend used or total boycott

no fucking clue honestly, which is why I had to post that. As I said whatever reasoning or who to blame doesnt matter to me, I just want it fixed

The competitive community want every adavantage they can get , importing just give them an advantage .. i don't see such a negative reaction on my side ( europe ) and by that i mean blazblue fans and players in europe.

How about #nobuymeansnomoreblazblueintheus
if thats the conclusion they draw from this all its their own dumb fault, but this is the catch 22 patrick seitz mentioned in his post

Regardless of how a company interprets the data, the only option you have to not support a decision you disagree with is to not buy. If they draw the conclusion the "gamers dont want this type of game or series" from the data its unfortunate, as opposed to drawing conclusions about the specific product delivered and where it went wrong

Stuart444

Member
if thats the conclusion they draw from this all its their own dumb fault

Indeed and I'd argue this with any similar thing like this.

What I mean by that is, with social media. If you ignore that data you gather from social media interaction and interpret it as "People don't want more blazblue" instead of "People would rather have Blazblue dubbed" then it shows their incompetence as a company in the age of Social Media. The age of interaction between companies and the consumer.

Any company in this day and age would not ignore social media, a valuable tool and one many company uses to gauge how positive or negative a conversation is. And if they do, they are incompetent.

I'm not saying "Bow to the whims of everyone" - that is stupid as well. I'm saying, use the data that companies can and do gather from social media to come to conclusion.

Looking strictly at the numbers without any regard for anything else (such as a public outcry) is nothing short of stupid.

*sighs*

Also that tweets shown above to me reads like "please don't spam us, please don't spam us, please spam arc system works instead" considering their previous tweets imply that it's their decision rather than Arc System Works.

Not exactly a good thing to say considering how people can and do save print screens of previous tweets so even if you deleted other ones, it will only work against you.

Also that tweets shown above to me reads like "please don't spam us, please don't spam us, please spam arc system works instead" considering their previous tweets imply that it's their decision rather than Arc System Works.

Not exactly a good thing to say considering how people can and do save print screens of previous tweets so even if you deleted other ones, it will only work against you.
I didnt even screenshot everything, it looks even worse with the remorseful sounding tweet from 3 days ago, coupled with more bragging type tweets two days ago about how good the decision was

Garlador

[...]

This is one reason that I always tell people who boycott or protest a product to not just refrain from buying it - because companies ARE dumb and WILL learn the wrong lesson - but to also get in touch with the company and tell them WHY you aren't buying the product.

Call them. Tweet them. Email them. Just ensure you clearly and concisely and respectfully inform them that you won't be getting the game, but the reasons WHY you aren't getting the game are due to certain circumstances - in this case deciding a dub isn't worth the time, money, or effort for the fans.

Burning Water

Neo Member
This is one reason that I always tell people who boycott or protest a product to not just refrain from buying it - because companies ARE dumb and WILL learn the wrong lesson - but to also get in touch with the company and tell them WHY you aren't buying the product.

Call them. Tweet them. Email them. Just ensure you clearly and concisely and respectfully inform them that you won't be getting the game, but the reasons WHY you aren't getting the game are due to certain circumstances - in this case decided a dub isn't worth the time, money, or effort for the fans.

Spot on. Don't give them an room to interpret low sales how they see fit. Drive home the reason why their decision will not be supported.

Korigama

Member
i think no dub for a fighting game is not a big deal.
It is when literally every other game in the series before the finale for the current story arc had one, and even more of one when they were consistently good. Not even bothering to tell the actors involved that they wouldn't be brought back was really crappy on Aksys' part, too.

Stuart444

Member
More passing the buck it seems:

Aksys Games ‏@aksysgames 5m5 minutes ago
@aksysgames 1. We know that no dub for launch is frustrating. We hear you guys loud and clear. It's not something we were happy to announce

Aksys Games ‏@aksysgames 1m1 minute ago
@aksysgames 2. An English dub is possible, but sometimes devs need extra convincing. Petitions, fan pages, etc all help. Fan communities

3. like you guys are instrumental in making series like BB and GG possible here in the states.

More passing the buck it seems:

The earlier word for this game was that Arc themselves were actually responsible for the localization, which is something they started a couple releases ago. If Aksys has to rely on a Japanese developer who is giving them trouble there, for example by starting the dub way too late to release the game in a timely manner to make their release viable, then their position makes perfect sense.

I could be wrong, obviously. So much misinformation has been thrown around about BlazBlue at this point, maybe this is just more of it, ha.

I'm sympathetic towards dub players, but this sort of thing is yet another reason why it's best to go with the original voice acting in the first place, because you're guaranteed a level of consistency that dubs often won't give you. BlazBlue keeping its dub cast as long as it has is actually really impressive and unusual. Dead or Alive and Soulcalibur are obvious genre counter-examples. (I doubt anybody would have gotten attached to DOA2's English dub, but I'm always surprised at the English dubs which fans do get attached to so who knows!)

cj_iwakura

Member
The earlier word for this game was that Arc themselves were actually responsible for the localization, which is something they started a couple releases ago. If Aksys has to rely on a Japanese developer who is giving them trouble there, for example by starting the dub way too late to release the game in a timely manner to make their release viable, then their position makes perfect sense.

It's a mess. The localization is outsourced to a group called 'Strangely Compelling', who said they had no control over the dub.

As far as I can tell, ArcSys bankrolls, Aksys publishes, SC does the grunt work.

[...]

if I had to go with the japanese audio I wouldve never played this series in the first place

cj_iwakura

Member
The problem with these is that unless they get promoted enough it does more harm than good. No one sees it, no one signs it, and then someone posts it as a counterargument whenever someone says people want the dub.

At this point, the alternative is that a dub doesn't happen at all. I could see this picking up steam if enough people take notice.

they did specify petition, so we might as well try.

The community has been pretty loud with a large number of people. Im sure most arent keeping up with it after their initial responses, but if they see I'm sure they will sign

Maybe it goes nowhere, probably does, but I can care enough that I want to try

cj_iwakura

Member
Shared it at just about everyplace I can think of(including some I probably should've thought twice about, heh), so hopefully it works out.

Garlador

Member
Shared it at just about everyplace I can think of(including some I probably should've thought twice about, heh), so hopefully it works out.

I signed it. If you care about it (and I do as well), push it hard where you can and, more importantly, encourage others to push it as well.

Definitely retweet it to Aksys and the voice actors twitters as well. GameFAQs and Shoryuken.net are also good places, if you haven't already.

cj_iwakura

Member
I signed it. If you care about it (and I do as well), push it hard where you can and, more importantly, encourage others to push it as well.

Definitely retweet it to Aksys and the voice actors twitters as well. GameFAQs and Shoryuken.net are also good places, if you haven't already.

I've hit reddit and the 4chan BB community(which is pretty huge) so far. I don't have an SRK account, so be my guest.

Garlador

Member
I've hit reddit and the 4chan BB community(which is pretty huge) so far. I don't have an SRK account, so be my guest.

Someone might have to subscribe, but I know SRK is definitely an important hub for fighting game fans. I'm not signed up either, but it's definitely one to hit.

I passed the word along to some GameFAQ forums and the Playstation Trophies forum.

Garlador

Member
Posted to my old fighting game haunting grounds. I'll see if my wife can't draw something for deviantart. She's got about 3,000 watchers and 670,000 pageviews, and those folks tend to spread the word around.

sibarraz

Banned
eh, even though aksys dubs are better than other j-games, most of the time I found them awful, so this doesn't affect me, still, it sucks that they don't give the option for the players

Garlador

Member
eh, even though aksys dubs are better than other j-games, most of the time I found them awful, so this doesn't affect me, still, it sucks that they don't give the option for the players

It still wouldn't hurt to sign.

I'm one of those "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" type of people, and I tend to stand in solidarity with people for things they care about, even if it doesn't affect me personally. There have been plenty of petitions I've signed or companies I've contacted if I felt it lending my voice might make even the slightest bit of difference, because I do enjoy other players having as good a time as I do.

Top Bottom