• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good. Dubs aren't worth the extra budget and time (in my opinion). I'm also biased since I prefer the Japanese voices anyway.

Garlador

Good. Dubs aren't worth the extra budget and time (in my opinion). I'm also biased since I prefer the Japanese voices anyway.

C'mon. Don't be like that.

I can't stand those "I got mine, screw yours" attitudes.

There are plenty of petitions I've signed and companies I've contacted when I feel like gamers are getting a bum deal, even if it didn't affect me personally. I'm a big consumer advocate, though, and I tend to fight for gamers of all walks of life to get the best experience they can get, even if it's for games I don't play or about content that I personally don't mind.

Giving players the option for English dubs, I think, is a worthy goal. It doesn't hurt to help out.

FSLink

Banned

I prefer the JPN voices as well but not having the English dub for story mode is a damn shame especially in the last chapter of a series. I agree, your "I got mine, screw yours" attitude and lack of empathy is disgusting.

I signed the petition as well.

BBboy20

It still wouldn't hurt to sign.

I'm one of those "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" type of people, and I tend to stand in solidarity with people for things they care about, even if it doesn't affect me personally. There have been plenty of petitions I've signed or companies I've contacted if I felt it lending my voice might make even the slightest bit of difference, because I do enjoy other players having as good a time as I do.
That's what I just did.

There are plenty of petitions I've signed and companies I've contacted when I feel like gamers are getting a bum deal, even if it didn't affect me personally. I'm a big consumer advocate, though, and I tend to fight for gamers of all walks of life to get the best experience they can get, even if it's for games I don't play or about content that I personally don't mind.

Giving players the option for English dubs, I think, is a worthy goal. It doesn't hurt to help out.

Certain posters on GAF are huge assholes to people who complain that there is no option for JP audio in Atlus titles, notably the upcoming Persona 5. Go look at any thread about Persona 5 and see for yourself. After being treated like shit by those people, I no longer have a single fuck left to give. I've been called a weeb for liking JP audio far too much to care about whether those people live or die anymore at this point.

Certain posters on GAF are huge assholes to people who complain that there is no option for JP audio in Atlus titles, notably the upcoming Persona 5. Go look at any thread about Persona 5 and see for yourself. After being treated like shit by those people, I no longer have a single fuck left to give. I've been called a weeb for liking JP audio far too much to care about whether those people live or die anymore at this point.
and yet the amount of people who are dicks to people saying they wont buy things because of no dub is equally high, or call dubs cancer etc. lumping in the majority in either group is absolute absurdity

cj_iwakura

Because perpetuating the cycle is such a great solution to that.

Do you also think all dubs are trash before you even listen to them?

Anyways I contributed and signed the petition. I'm not huge on Blazblue but the dub is some good stuff.

Hubb

I feel your pain. More often than not I stick to JP audio, but sometimes I go with English VAs. Whether because I am forced to (hello Atlus) or because I like the English VA (hello BB). I do normally like Atlus' English VAs though.

If anyone in this thread who is pro English VA, but against pushing Atlus for Dual by all means call them out. Don't let shit posters bring you down. Advice I probably have to take myself.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I prefer the JPN voices as well but not having the English dub for story mode is a damn shame especially in the last chapter of a series. I agree, your "I got mine, screw yours" attitude and lack of empathy is disgusting.

I signed the petition as well.

How is that I got mine screw yours when the game is able to come out a lot sooner because of this? That matters a lot if you actually want to play the game for the, you know, gameplay, and to get a leg up on practice. That, from my perspective, should take much more priority. This is a game after all, and a game that will be played competitively in tournaments.

Besides, they can always release the dub as a DLC later if it's financially feasible to do so. Unless they already said they're not going to.

Do you also think all dubs are trash before you even listen to them?

Yep. I have never found a dub that I've thought was superior to the original Japanese voice acting. Unless you count DBZA, but that's a special case.

cj_iwakura

I feel your pain. More often than not I stick to JP audio, but sometimes I go with English VAs. Whether because I am forced to (hello Atlus) or because I like the English VA (hello BB). I do normally like Atlus' English VAs though.

If anyone in this thread who is pro English VA, but against pushing Atlus for Dual by all means call them out. Don't let shit posters bring you down. Advice I probably have to take myself.

I don't really care about dual audio, because I prefer a good dub, but if the dub is awful, I'll always go to JP. Situations like this should always have the dub option, because a lot of love goes into it.

Garlador

How is that I got mine screw yours when the game is able to come out a lot sooner because of this?.
Because many people are willing to wait for the game to get properly localized with English voice acting to make it a better experience for THEM too? That is precisely a "I got mine" approach, while those that care more about the very robust story modes that constitute a huge portion of the game and experience don't get what they want with a proper English dub, like all prior games.

That matters a lot if you actually want to play the game for the, you know, gameplay, and to get a leg up on practice.
Plenty of Blazblue games have had Japanese arcade releases that have existed in Japan well over a year before anyone in the west could touch any version of them, so was that such a big deal then as well? Western players already were getting the game "late" if you think about it like that. Japanese players had a whole year to practice, and it was never that big of an issue or that wide of a gap that it couldn't be crossed reasonably enough.

That, from my perspective, should take much more priority. This is a game after all, and a game that will be played competitively in tournaments.
So just import the game. It'll be available earlier in Japan regardless. If gameplay is the only thing YOU care about, that version is perfect for you. For the rest of us, we actually care a great deal about more than just the 1v1 fights. Blazblue has a phenomenal and extensive story (what did they say for this one? 40+ hours of story content?). That's important and meaty content for more casual or story-minded players.

Besides, they can always release the dub as a DLC later if it's financially feasible to do so. Unless they already said they're not going to.
That's the point of this petition! They currently have "no plans" whatsoever. Even a dub DLC would be worth it. That's what we're trying to get. Something, ANYTHING at all.

Yep. I have never found a dub that I've thought was superior to the original Japanese voice acting. Unless you count DBZA, but that's a special case.
There are plenty of Japanese voices I prefer over the English dub, but I know a great deal of people care about their dubs, and I'll gladly support them for having the choice to listen to the animes or games in whichever language they most enjoy listening to, even if I prefer the Japanese version myself. I'd rather everyone enjoy the shows or games at the same level that I do.

Abridged series do not count.

If you truly think all dubs are trash, then you need to expand your horizons and stop thinking that we're still in the 90's. If all dubs are trash as you say, why are people getting so worked up about Central Fiction not getting a dub?

tauke

Just signed the petition as #201 person.

Really odd to omit dub when prior games features it and I only played the first BlazBlue game.

etrain911

Just signed. I hope it has some sort of effect or at least shows them a reason they could have lost sales (in the worst case scenario)

Spman2099

I am not bothered by this personally, but I totally get where people are coming from. This kind of thing can hurt the entire experience. I was pretty upset to hear that Japanese subs weren't going to be available in the NA release of Persona 5... It sucks for the people that really want that dub.

Nah, I think I'll keep using it, because that's how I feel about the fandom at times. I've seen fans who would rather the game not come out than come out under the exact specifications that they want.

So, I largely agree with your first post. You essentially articulated how I feel. However, fans ARE entitled to the money in their own wallets. The companies making the games, on the other hand, are not. The fans get to say what requirements a game need to meet in order to deserve those hard earned dollars. On another note, the use of the word "entitlement" is starting to feel a little absurd. It seems like it is becoming a bit of a buzzword at this point. Just sayin'.

kewlmyc

I would love P5 to release as dual audio. I think there's a difference between these two situations however. As far as I know, internally developed games of Atlus have never had dual audio (If I'm wrong, please let me know). The only titles I can remember that had dual audio from Atlus were Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown (both developed by Vanillaware), and both P4As (developed by ASW). Their internal developed games don't have dual audio and never have (again, if I'm wrong, let me know).

Now let's look at Blazblue. There have been several games and rereleases that have had dual audio. It was the norm for the franchise. Now, suddenly, it's no longer there and adding a dub would delay the game by 8 months, something that previous games in the series didn't have problems with (only Chronophantasma). This could be do to many different potential issues (I'm leaning on expense costs due to the longer stories and ever growing cast) and it's unclear who is at fault here (I'm going with ASW due to the localization changes mentioned in this thread).

The point is that comparing no dual audio in a game from a development team that doesn't have a history of doing that to a development team that does and is suddenly stopping isn't a good comparison.

There's also the fact that this is the last chapter of the current story, so it hurts even more. Only a small group of people were seriously upset that GG Xrd Revelator didn't have a dub, and that's due to that series not having a history of dual audio (only two games out of like 8 did, and the voice cast is different between them) so the "no dual audio" pill was easy to swallow. This not so much.

Hubb

The point is that comparing no dual audio in a game from a development team that doesn't have a history of doing that to a development team that does and is suddenly stopping isn't a good comparison.

There's also the fact that this is the last chapter of the current story, so it hurts even more. Only a small group of people were seriously upset that GG Xrd Revelator didn't have a dub, and that's due to that series not having a history of dual audio (only two games out of like 8 did, and the voice cast is different between them) so the "no dual audio" pill was easy to swallow. This not so much.

I'm not disagreeing with anything your saying, and I'm not trying to directly compare the two. What I am trying to say is that even if a development team doesn't have a history of dual audio doesn't mean people who want dual audio should be put down. I want dual audio to be the norm, specially on bigger releases, and not the exception.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Because many people are willing to wait for the game to get properly localized with English voice acting to make it a better experience for THEM too? That is precisely a "I got mine" approach, while those that care more about the very robust story modes that constitute a huge portion of the game and experience don't get what they want with a proper English dub, like all prior games.
So just import the game. It'll be available earlier in Japan regardless. If gameplay is the only thing YOU care about, that version is perfect for you. For the rest of us, we actually care a great deal about more than just the 1v1 fights. Blazblue has a phenomenal and extensive story (what did they say for this one? 40+ hours of story content?). That's important and meaty content for more casual or story-minded players.
Look, I'm not trying to be an ass about it or anything, I'm just being realistic. If you're arguing to delay the game to implement something that costs more money and doesn't add to the core gameplay, then that's basically "I don't got mine, screw you", so it's disingenuous to try to portray me as the one lacking empathy. No game is going to have everything that everyone wants when it comes out, otherwise they'd be in development forever.

I know guys care a lot about this, but the devs have already stated their reasons, like them or not.

Plenty of Blazblue games have had Japanese arcade releases that have existed in Japan well over a year before anyone in the west could touch any version of them, so was that such a big deal then as well? Western players already were getting the game "late" if you think about it like that. Japanese players had a whole year to practice, and it was never that big of an issue or that wide of a gap that it couldn't be crossed reasonably enough.
That's part of the reason why Japan kicks everyone's ass in these kinds of games. In this age of tournaments and streaming, a less popular game like this needs all the advantages (or less handicaps) for Western players that it can get. Tekken might be able to get away with it, but that's Tekken, and there will still be boatloads of people playing it despite being out in Japan for a while now.

Look, I'm not trying to be an ass about it or anything, I'm just being realistic. If you're arguing to delay the game to implement something that costs more money and doesn't add to the core gameplay, then that's basically "I don't got mine, screw you", so it's disingenuous to try to portray me as the one lacking empathy. No game is going to have everything that everyone wants when it comes out, otherwise they'd be in development forever.

I know guys care a lot about this, but the devs have already stated their reasons, like them or not.
we tournament players dont give a shit about delays. We import anyway like we still would this time around since the japanese version is over a month ahead. Stop speaking for us

You act like core gameplay is all there is to this series, clearly its demonstrably not. The lack of dub prevents many people from enjoying the game, a delay to get the dub in does not prevent gameplay only players from getting started

we tournament players dont give a shit about delays. We import anyway like we still would this time around since the japanese version is over a month ahead. Stop speaking for us

You act like core gameplay is all there is to this series, clearly its demonstrably not. The lack of dub prevents many people from enjoying the game, a delay to get the dub in does not prevent gameplay only players from getting started

If we speak realisticly , not everyone playing this game seriously online import, some do , but 1 month delay is an acceptable wait for many in most cases.

And there are the people who aren't affected by the lack of dub.
There is in the mindset of everyone a HUGE difference between a 4 week wait and a 6 month wait , that cannot be stated enough.

Before that "event" you'd ask anyone what blazblue was , they'd tell you that it's a fighting game series.

I understand that the lack of dub really prevent you from enjoying the game. but blazblue is a fighting game first.
The argument that the people intrested in blazblue import anyway and won't mind waiting 6 months to get the game is untrue. A very small part does , but the vast majority doesn't

mdubs

Banned
I signed

I'm sure you'll get sympathy this way! I support dual-audio options because more options are good even though I prefer dubs, but people like you make it hard to. Food for thought!

Hubb

If we speak realisticly , not everyone playing this game seriously online import, some do , but 1 month delay is an acceptable wait for many in most cases.

I hope it only is a 1 month delay. Still no firm release date means it could easily come out in December.

We can drop the 6-8 month wait anyway, they said they wouldn't do it. What they have said is that they may patch/DLC it. There is no reason to even argue whether it is worth it to wait or not. Now it is simply if you want the English VAs at all. It should be something everyone goes for because at this point it isn't hurting anything, but there will be plenty of people who just say fuck the English VAs.

JayEH

And there are the people who aren't affected by the lack of dub.
There is in the mindset of everyone a HUGE difference between a 4 week wait and a 6 month wait , that cannot be stated enough.

Before that "event" you'd ask anyone what blazblue was , they'd tell you that it's a fighting game series.

I understand that the lack of dub really prevent you from enjoying the game. but blazblue is a fighting game first.
The argument that the people intrested in blazblue import anyway and won't mind waiting 6 months to get the game is untrue. A very small part does , but the vast majority doesn't

I'm in this camp, I don't care about the story but I like playing casually online and would rather get the game earlier than wait for English audio.

Hubb

I'm in this camp, I don't care about the story but I like playing casually online and would rather get the game earlier than wait for English audio.

But this isn't even an option. They aren't delaying the game no matter what. At this point it is, do you want English VAs eventually or never.

Z..

Dubs in general should be a thing of the past. Regardless of origin it should always be original audio + subtitles. Better, cheaper and faster for everyone involved. People who dislike subtitles are simply refusing to even try (evident by the fact that such people just don't exist in countries which mainly sub).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Dubs in general should be a thing of the past. Regardless of origin it should always be original audio + subtitles. Better, cheaper and faster for everyone involved. People who dislike subtitles are simply refusing to even try (evident by the fact that such people just don't exist in countries which mainly sub).
Ummmmmm no! Why shouldn't dubs be available? Especially in a long running series in which each previous game offered one? An what about games where the jp audio is ridiculously expensive to acquire or locked up in rights hell? Should the game then be released overseas with no voice acting period o.o?

I prefer dubs 90% of the time, and I am not alone in preferring them. I understand why people enjoy having the original audio, and I am fully capable of playing and enjoying a game that is sub-only, but as somebody that watches a ton of subtitled anime, being able to relax every now and then with a high quality dub (which are not as rare as some would have us believe) and listen to my own native language is awesome. Losing that option just because it gets a game released faster is simply not a worthwhile trade off for a lot of fans.

Top Bottom