• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p 60 FPs on the PS5 Pro; Remedy responds, no confirmation, more details coming

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
del bosque soccer GIF by Fusion

AYYY LMAO 😂

sachos

Wait so AW2 already run at that res on the base PS5 performance mode? So it seems the devs only changed FSR into PSSR... That would be so lazy. There is no way that it can't at least do 4K PSSR Performance.
Man it will be so annoying reading peoples takes without understanding AI upscalers resolution scales.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wait so AW2 already run at that res on the base PS5 performance mode? So it seems the devs only changed FSR into PSSR... That would be so lazy. There is no way that i can't at least do 4K PSSR Performance.
Man it will be so annoying reading peoples takes without understanding AI upscalers resolution scales.

Yeah....something isn't adding up here. This is why hands on analysis is needed.

"Next up, let's talk quality modes. Alan Wake 2 was designed for 30fps on consoles - and that's what you get in the quality mode. However, towards the end of development, Remedy added a performance option targeting 60fps. The key differentiator here is resolution, as you might expect. The quality mode uses FSR 2 to hit a 2160p output, with an internal resolution of 1270p. Performance mode again uses FSR 2, but this time with an output of 1440p and an internal resolution of 847p. Both modes look a touch softer than most other games with similar output resolutions though, perhaps owing to the lower-contrast artwork and heavy post-processing. Beyond resolution, the most obvious cutback in the performance mode is foliage density, which is considerably lower than the quality mode"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Alan Wake 2 sold so badly maybe Remedy doesn't have the money to work on their patch.
They probably do.

Who knows exactly how the company is structured, but it seems their games cost a lot to make, take a while, and they always need to partner up with a big company to fund and publish their games. These companies probably take most of the money leaving Remedy left with scraps to add to corporate coffers. They'll get money to fund the game, but it sure seems they are in a never ending cycle needing funds because their sales are never good enough to cover dev and publishing. So they always need a big company to help.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Wait so AW2 already run at that res on the base PS5 performance mode? So it seems the devs only changed FSR into PSSR... That would be so lazy. There is no way that i can't at least do 4K PSSR Performance.
Its most likely using higher settings too, maybe even higher than quality mode

Pimpbaa

Yeah, I’m sure PSSR will make that res look much nicer than FSR did but why the fuck is a more powerful GPU running at the same base resolution? Maybe they turned up the console equivalent of PC game graphic sliders. Running the various graphic effects at a higher setting than the base PS5. It’s gotta be that, lazy 3rd party support for the pro this early would be a bad look for Sony. Even if the game sold like shit.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Yeah, I’m sure PSSR will make that res look much nicer than FSR did but why the fuck is a more powerful GPU running at the same base resolution? Maybe they turned up the console equivalent of PC game graphic sliders. Running the various graphic effects at a higher setting than the base PS5. It’s gotta be that, lazy 3rd party support for the pro this early would be a bad look for Sony. Even if the game sold like shit.
Yes its most likely using quality settings or even better ones

Programmers speak in euphemisms such as: "pretty neat right"
Which means "That is fucking awesome"

"clarifying" means "no dumbass this is how it works"

Mark Cerny was a child prodigy going to Berkley at the age of 17. But now he writing emails to explain his invention to non technical people. It seems you are unaware how important he has been for the gaming industry. Look at his Wikipedia page it's insane. He had to drop his work and instead write a email to rectify DF. Probably the email first went through playstation PR department.

Second point.

It seems you totally miss the point of how companies work. Business is business, and DF has outreach while PlayStation wants to sell products to them.
It's called leverage; the goal is to sell more products.

They did just stiff them by going to CNET.

There are others that are xbox influences that playstation still has relationships with for example Paris.

The goal is to get to talk about playstation, because it still helps with awareness of the products they are selling. And even you with a 4090 is still in the market for ps5 pro.

Even if DF is negative, they still make video after video about the product.

L4JD2ks.jpeg

Why are they doing such ridiculous thumbnails? Have they really lowered themselves to that?

R3EUIL

Ai upscaling is not magic, once there is not enough data to reconstruct end result won't be very "4k like". Resolution below 900p is definietly not enough for that...
They showed games running at 60FPS and with higher image quality than the fidelity mode of the PS5, so I think it is possible

Bojji

They showed games running at 60FPS and with higher image quality than the fidelity mode of the PS5, so I think it is possible

Last of us was using 1440p TAA mode from PS5 vs. 1440p PSSR mode from Pro. You can have very high quality image with 1440p base resolution but not so much with 854p...

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait so AW2 already run at that res on the base PS5 performance mode? So it seems the devs only changed FSR into PSSR... That would be so lazy. There is no way that it can't at least do 4K PSSR Performance.
To be fair they have the money they earnt from digital sales, maybe a better update will come after the physical release 😏

R3EUIL

Last of us was using 1440p TAA mode from PS5 vs. 1440p PSSR mode from Pro. You can have very high quality image with 1440p base resolution but not so much with 854p...
But that's just what we have so far, we don't know the image quality of the game that was using 854p, probably just upscaled to 1440p, but probably 1080p is a good point to get to 4K

Bojji

But that's just what we have so far, we don't know the image quality of the game that was using 854p, probably just upscaled to 1440p, but probably 1080p is a good point to get to 4K

1080p is absolutely fine with good ai upscaling, I use dlss performance in many games.

But devs are of course pushing it, just like they did with fsr2...

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
No. 1440p PSSR to 4K 60fps looked considerably better than native 4K TAA + Sharpening 30fps on PS5. In more than one way, as already posted many times.

Bojji

No. 1440p PSSR to 4K 60fps looked considerably better than native 4K TAA + Sharpening 30fps on PS5. In more than one way, as already posted many times.

I don't think Sony video compared 4k 30fps mode vs pro performance mode side by side. Just performance mode vs performance mode.

But I'm not sure about that and could be wrong.

Vick

Gold Member
I don't think Sony video compared 4k 30fps mode vs pro performance mode side by side. Just performance mode vs performance mode.

But I'm not sure about that and could be wrong.
They did, Fidelity 30fps compared to Pro 60fps, I wouldn't say night and day difference in favor of Pro, but we're in that ballpark..

Zlz8wgN.gif

Uq8io9p.gif

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h26m23s382.png

DgW3umJ.gif

jTIaird.gif

Fidelity-VS-Pro-Zaino-Rocce.png

1yitbn5.gif

Apparently even Battaglia from DF was happy with the first iteration of PSSR.

Last edited:

kevboard

Funny, we are on a forum of gaming enthusiasts and many here have no idea how upscaling AI works

most people don't know how it works.
there are still people who think the AI actually looks at a low res image and then makes a higher res version of it. when in reality the image gets at first created just like FSR does it, by jittering the camera and gathering information across multiple frames and by using motion data.
the machine learning algorithms then look at the image as it's being created and removes what it deems to be an error while replacing it with details it thinks should be there instead.

so the first few steps of XeSS, DLSS and PSSR are the same as FSR. it's just that the ML step tries to remove and replace artifacts

Bojji

They did, Fidelity 30fps compared to Pro 60fps, I wouldn't say night and day difference in favor of Pro, but we're in that ballpark..

Apparently even Battaglia from DF was happy with the first iteration of PSSR.

You are right, it's there before that P vs. P modes part.

It definitively looks really good with 1440p as a base resolution (even better than native in some aspects like what happened with DS1 on nvidia gpus).

boris1979

Neo Member
Everything is ok.
Interestingly enough, 847p is what the game's Performance mode runs at on both PS5 and SX. So, if it's still running the same resolution on PS5 Pro, they're probably compensating by adding RT or other Quality mode enhancements in that 60fps mode.

I know the PS5 version was a fair bit behind in the launch months and first couple of patches, don't know if it runs any better today.

But at least the SX version was fairly good at keeping a very good performance in both modes.
Final res on pro at 60 fps will be 4k or near it and on ps5 is 1440 p so it will use additional power. Upsampling res has big cost. Same last of us native 1440 p versus 1440 p upsampled to 4k on pro.

Zathalus

Yeah....something isn't adding up here. This is why hands on analysis is needed.

"Next up, let's talk quality modes. Alan Wake 2 was designed for 30fps on consoles - and that's what you get in the quality mode. However, towards the end of development, Remedy added a performance option targeting 60fps. The key differentiator here is resolution, as you might expect. The quality mode uses FSR 2 to hit a 2160p output, with an internal resolution of 1270p. Performance mode again uses FSR 2, but this time with an output of 1440p and an internal resolution of 847p. Both modes look a touch softer than most other games with similar output resolutions though, perhaps owing to the lower-contrast artwork and heavy post-processing. Beyond resolution, the most obvious cutback in the performance mode is foliage density, which is considerably lower than the quality mode"

I’d wager some other settings were increased as well, no way to for DF to confirm anything bar resolution and RT reflections in the brief footage they had. But even if they didn’t bother the game will look way better, FSR2 is pretty bad in this game so PSSR will clean the image up quite nicely.

Puscifer

Lines up with the 45% upgrade in gpu. Sounds like remedy did no work on this and is simply running this in boost mode.

There is no ray tracing in Alan wake 2 either so we won’t see a drastic upgrade. I think avatar might benefit a bit more and should hit 1080p internally but I’m not sure if that also requires a patch to get it to the ps5 pro sdk.

I tried warning everyone in the pro leak thread when the 45% figure was leaked.
I thought there was rt in the console version?

Skifi28

Guys. Remember its OK to point and laugh when the series s is 720p 60 fps and say things like

"720p in 2024"

But don't you dare pick on the other plastic box that costs 700 pounds and say simular statements when it's pumping out an incredible 840p

The series S doesn't have AI reconstruction, but you knew that already. Also, it's mostly laughed at when resolutions drop in the 400p range like Starfield.

Caio

That can’t be true, right!?……it’s fucking $950 console!

If it’s true then there is no way in hell it can run Monster Hunter Wilds in 60 FPS.
Let’s not turn into fanboys, folks, there’s already enough of that going around. The PS5 Pro is a beast, way more powerful than the XSX or the base PS5. The real issue? It’s the software, not the hardware. Seriously, it’s time to grow up and face facts while you still can. And yes, this is coming from someone who adores his XSX and hasn’t even touched a PS5 yet. Go figure.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just wait till you see what the plastic in their cups is doing!

And this is overblown and who gives a shit when this is speculation before release of this? Come to us when the facts are there and see how it impacts our enjoyment of this.

I won't give 2 shits about Adan Wayne 2 either way.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Guys. Remember its OK to point and laugh when the series s is 720p 60 fps and say things like

"720p in 2024"

But don't you dare pick on the other plastic box that costs 700 pounds and say simular statements when it's pumping out an incredible 840p

sad chris crocker GIF

Xbox fans love portraying themselves as the victim.

Let's go back to 2020.

The Xbox Series S was marketed as a 1440p console. Xbox fans said the PlayStation 5 would be competing with the Xbox Series S and not the Xbox Series X (Hello Ricky).

Xbox fans were all about Full RDNA 2 and how the PlayStation 5 didn't support ML, VRS, and Mesh Shaders.

We're not 4 years into the generation and there's still no active support for ML on Xbox Series consoles and now Xbox fans want to pretend they have no idea how ML works.

Funny.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The series S doesn't have AI reconstruction, but you knew that already. Also, it's mostly laughed at when resolutions drop in the 400p range like Starfield.

Im just pissing around, mate.

Honestly, the base resolution isnt a big deal if PSSR can fix the image. I was just making fun at those that make those kinds of statements.

Top Bottom